Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? (21249 Views)

Wife Awarded The Sum Of N92 BILLION For Divorce Settlement / Ex-wife Pays Divorce Settlement In Coins, Rice And Beans / The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by FXKing2012(m): 6:51am On Jan 12, 2013
I think the divorce settlement law should be introduced in Nigeria to protect women as well as the child support law to protect children. Any civilized society ought to have such laws in place to protect women and children.

So many men insist on their wives being full housewives; so many men dont allow their wives to study further after marriage; women are forced to put their careers and studies on hold due to pregnancy or marriage; so many women help their husbands achieve emotional stability which helps the men perform well in the office, but when they separate/divorce the guy keeps everything while the woman leaves with nothing plus the responsibility of taking care of the kids. Now ask yourselves, is that fair?

What is your take on this?

5 Likes

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by clockwise(m): 6:55am On Jan 12, 2013
sure it should be so, considering the type of nation we are in, i think such laws sgould be in place.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by FXKing2012(m): 7:08am On Jan 12, 2013
clockwise: sure it should be so, considering the type of nation we are in, i think such laws sgould be in place.

Women are constantly abused and children neglected by some useless men, something must be done about this. I'm thinking of lobbying for this in the house of assembly.

Why can a man marry many women but a woman cannot? Is there a law against women keeping more than one husband at a time in Nigeria? Polyandry is allowed in India; its advantage is that it makes men to sit up to their responsiblities in order not to be replaced.

4 Likes

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by clockwise(m): 7:13am On Jan 12, 2013
[quote author=FXKing2012]

Women are constantly abused and children neglected by some useless men, something must be done about dis. I'm thinking of lobbying for dis in the house of assembly.

dose vagabonds in d house of asembly are too selfish
Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:16am On Jan 12, 2013
It's a welcome idea.
For my area, there are lots of single married women with 5, 6 or even more children. Their husband have divorced/abandoned them & are not taking care of the children. If this law exist, it can help them.
But some chop-ur-money ladies ll take that up as a biz. Marry a richman & divorce after some months. Nija own go come worse pass anywhere in the world.

4 Likes

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by FXKing2012(m): 7:35am On Jan 12, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: But some chop-ur-money ladies ll take that up as a biz. Marry a richman & divorce after some months. Nija own go come worse pass anywhere in the world.

There will also be prenuptial agreement to protect the rich from greedy ladies who are simply out to marry for the money.
In all, the advantages of such laws far superceeds the disadvantages.

2 Likes

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by djeezy(m): 8:10am On Jan 12, 2013
It's a prenuptial agreement which can be regarded as a contract. The legislators need not legislate on it. If both parties can agree on writing a prenup in Nigeria then it ipso facto becomes a contract and the court will enforce it for the woman in case of divorce. The rate of divorce in Nigeria is very minimal unlike the US so Nigerian women do not actually think of prenup.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:20am On Jan 12, 2013
Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by FXKing2012(m): 11:26am On Jan 12, 2013
chaircover:

The men too will wise up and only marry women of equal or almost equal financial clout or refuse to get married at all.
lol
Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by bigheart2013(m): 4:51pm On Jan 12, 2013
Please Nigeria has very effective divorce settlememt and child support laws. people seldom use it.

Nigerians are smarter when it comes to raising families. We don't see courts as best places to decide the future of our children. A couple usually stay together for the sake of their kids even when the marriage is not working. You may see a milder form of separation where the husband lives and works at Abuja, and his wife and kids reside at say Enugu. The kids can visit their dad during holidays, and the man can visit his family at Enugu, he continues to pay the rents and provide food and clothing until the kids become adults. That's a better way to than involving lawyers. If you don't want to stay married, that's a personal decision. Why destroy lives bc of that as people do in US in the name of Divorce. some Ignorant Africans simply abuse and misuse the divorce process in US thereby hurting their kids.

If you don't wanna stay married

1. Start a discussion with your husband, get a house and plan to move out and tell him the date.
2. Agree on what you will take from the house (car, property, kids' favorite toys, etc)
3. Have a discussion about custody/visitation that's best for your kids interest. most men will let the woman keep the kids as long as they can visit the kids. 4. Once you have agreement have a lawyer draw a consent agreement, which both of you will sign and file in court.
The separation, custody and child support becomes official.

You don't need court cases that wastes money on legal fees. Smart people don't.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by i1: 4:40am On Jan 13, 2013
Do people just post without asking some basic questions?
1. The law for Divorce Settlement and child support in Nigeria is well provided for in the Matrimonial Causes Act sections 71 to 73. Covers ancilliary releifs in a divorce petition.
Furthermore there is the Child Rights Act that provides for Children Born outside a marriage done Under the Marriage act(customary marriages and children born out of wedlock).
If people are not aware of the Laws doesn't mean they do not exist!
Pre-nuptial agreements are illegal in nigeria becuase Parties cannot use agreements to oust or fetter the jurisdiction and discretion of the judge.

3 Likes

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by baby124: 2:53pm On Jan 13, 2013
i.:
Do people just post without asking some basic questions?
1. The law for Divorce Settlement and child support in Nigeria is well provided for in the Matrimonial Causes Act sections 71 to 73. Covers ancilliary releifs in a divorce petition.
Furthermore there is the Child Rights Act that provides for Children Born outside a marriage done Under the Marriage act(customary marriages and children born out of wedlock).
If people are not aware of the Laws doesn't mean they do not exist!
Pre-nuptial agreements are illegal in nigeria becuase Parties cannot use agreements to oust or fetter the jurisdiction and discretion of the judge.

Maybe like every other thing, Nigerian's like to leave the erring party to God and suffer in silence. But when they see their mates doing same abroad they start looking for the law. But there are no structures in place to catch a disappearing ex, and anyone can just disappear into thin air in Nigeria. Hardly any citizen records are kept to keep people in compliance. To make these laws work, so much needs to be done.

8 Likes

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by FXKing2012(m): 4:39pm On Jan 13, 2013
baby_123:

Maybe like every other thing, Nigerian's like to leave the erring party to God and suffer in silence. But when they see their mates doing same abroad they start looking for the law. But there are no structures in place to catch a disappearing ex, and anyone can just disappear into thin air in Nigeria. Hardly any citizen records are kept to keep people in compliance. To make these laws work, so much needs to be done.
GBAM!
Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by i1: 4:46am On Jan 14, 2013
Madam baby! The question asked by the op was if the laws where there, yes the laws are there but the issue of enforcement of the said laws na another matter! When the politicians continue to steal money meant for proper Data management of Nigerians how can the Law be enforced? However it should be noted that in the african Society(ps before western influence) one doesn't marry an individual but his/her family! If you want child support a wife should pressurize her in-laws(ex). That is where society will aid in the enforcement of the Law!
Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by agiboma(f): 10:38am On Jan 14, 2013
Not only should it be inplaced but women should also receive a settlement when they divorce the husband like most civilized countries where the assests are divided up 50/50.
Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by damiso(f): 11:15am On Jan 14, 2013
agiboma: Not only should it be inplaced but women should also receive a settlement when they divorce the husband like most civilized countries where the assests are divided up 50/50.

Erm not necessarily.It actually depends on who is richer.Maddona paid out to Guy Ritchie.If i was very wealthy before i met my wife/hubby i dont think its fair for assets to be split 50/50.Kids (if any)must be the priority in all this my opinion though.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by i1: 1:58pm On Jan 14, 2013
Madam Aigboma! The wives get as much as 50 even 60% or as low as nothing in Nigeria! It depends on the circumtances of the case as well as the Judges discretion. I can say awards I have seen in court that make no sense.
Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by baby124: 4:35pm On Jan 14, 2013
i.:
Madam baby! The question asked by the op was if the laws where there, yes the laws are there but the issue of enforcement of the said laws na another matter! When the politicians continue to steal money meant for proper Data management of Nigerians how can the Law be enforced? However it should be noted that in the african Society(ps before western influence) one doesn't marry an individual but his/her family! If you want child support a wife should pressurize her in-laws(ex). That is where society will aid in the enforcement of the Law!

And if the family chases the woman away? It does happen. What can she do? Confiscate their property or rob them?
Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by seedord247(m): 5:42pm On Jan 14, 2013
Where';s David Mark?

Must we copy the west in everything?

Why cant the west eat with their bear hands?

why cant the west allow polygamy??

The Op is looking for way to be jobless like my fallow neighbor, she got 4 kids from different father, jobless and live on food stamp...

5 Likes

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 14, 2013
Singing Lucky Dube --------♫♫ Am going back to my root'♫ ♫, Reggae Music is all that I know'♫ ♫♫ ♫.

@OP Now am going back to the natural/ancient way of marriage, Man and Woman coming together as One to Build a happy Family.

music continues -------- ♫♫ Am going back to my root'♫ ♫, Reggae Music is all that I know'♫ ♫♫ ♫.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 14, 2013
Yes. smiley

It would keep a lot of fornicators and adulterers in check
Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by stagger: 5:45pm On Jan 14, 2013
FXKing2012: I think the divorce settlement law should be introduced in Nigeria to protect women as well as the child support law to protect children. Any civilized society ought to have such laws in place to protect women and children.

What is your take on this?

My take on this is that you are one of those people who want to further destroy the fabric of our society with these alien cultures. I have had many friends who came from broken homes and where the fathers continued to fund their education, upkeep, everything.

In America, men are not responsible, especially black men. They go around having children like rabbits when they can't even tie down a job. Naija guys are hardworking and are born hustlers. Go to any African country and hear what the women say about their men compared to Naija guys.

We don't need these alien laws in our society where there is still a lot of sanity. Tomorrow they will come out to say we should allow gay marriage and gay couples to adopt kids from orphanages...GOD PASS DEVIL!

3 Likes

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 5:48pm On Jan 14, 2013
I think it will be abused.

3 Likes

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by valdubem(m): 5:48pm On Jan 14, 2013
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It can only work in a society that discourages Polygamy.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by baby124: 5:50pm On Jan 14, 2013
stagger:

My take on this is that you are one of those people who want to further destroy the fabric of our society with these alien cultures.

What fabric? You mean the fabric that allows men to have children all over the place without being able to take care of them? Or contributing one kobo to their welfare while their mothers do all sorts to raise them? In Nigeria a man can just disappear and abandon his family, and go somewhere else to raise a new one without any repercussion. If you can skin dive, you better be ready to pay till the child is settled. Nothing wrong with this at all. After all, no one pushed you or forced you. You took that decision to be an adult and have unprotected s*ex. So as an adult, do adult things and take care of your responsibility. Surely, that is not too much to ask.

4 Likes

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by lafuria1(m): 5:53pm On Jan 14, 2013
the law should be implemented. the divorced woman and her children need to be protected. someone says the law has been there but ofcourse hardly implemented because the divorced woman cant go to court. there is no law that isnt been exploited by pple, so the issue of greedy people is out of the question. for every good initiave, bad pple will wanna scam off it.
Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by seedord247(m): 5:53pm On Jan 14, 2013
baby_123:

What fabric? You mean the fabric that allows men to have children all over the place without being able to take care of them? If you can skin dive, you better be ready to pay till the child is settled. Nothing wrong with this at all. After all, no one pushed you or forced you. You took that decision to be an adult and have unprotected s*ex. So as an adult, do adult things and take care of your responsibility. Surely, that is not too much to ask.

madam, can you pls show us the statistic of men in Nigeria having children all over the place?

how many f Nigerians go for court weddding??

You hardly see a child in Nigeria without no father even thou his father his been killed by BOKO.

I have been seeing ya comments on family section.. All i can say for now is , You learn Negatively.
Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 14, 2013
There is a law on that. I know cos my cousin has used it before. They delay a lot, maybe they do dt to see if d couples can reconcile. Whoever gets custody of the children gets child support of a specific amount - again, I don't know how they calculate it.

Bt please, avoid divorce except its based on faithfulness . Try and use all available means to settle ur dispute eg. parish priest, family system etc
Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by baby124: 5:55pm On Jan 14, 2013
seedord247:

madam, can you pls show us the statistic of men in Nigeria having children all over the place?

how many statistic of Nigerians go for court weddding??

You hardly see a child in Nigeria without no father even thou his father his been killed by BOKO.

I have been seeing ya comments on family section.. All i can say for now is , You learn Negatively.

I have seen many people who grew up without fathers and their MOTHER's ONLY raising them. By the way, keep following my comments while able bodied men like yourself get a job or take a break to think.
Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by kpozite(m): 5:56pm On Jan 14, 2013
FXKing2012:

Women are constantly abused and children neglected by some useless men, something must be done about this. I'm thinking of lobbying for this in the house of assembly.

Why can a man marry many women but a woman cannot? Is there a law against women keeping more than one husband at a time in Nigeria? Polyandry is allowed in India; its advantage is that it makes men to sit up to their responsiblities in order not to be replaced.

LMAO Polyandry? Are you not going too far.
Though I support the topic Nigeria needs such laws to protect women and children, Polygamy is part of our culture such laws can be made to accommodate it.
If you say Polyandry for women or no polygamy, imagine the number of legislators who are polygamist, the your bill not see second reading
Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by seedord247(m): 5:58pm On Jan 14, 2013
baby_123:

I have seen many people who grew up without fathers and their MOTHER's ONLY raising them. By the way, keep following my comments while able bodied men like yourself get a job or take a break to think.

I dont follow you neither do i have something to learn from a obsolete being...

Give us the links of children being neglected by their fathers....

Thats u how end up being put to shame by davidlan when u went out of point...

get your fact right before spitting your venom's out.... If you being used by Cheap road side hawkers, dont put the blame on 70 millions nigerians men.

4 Likes

Re: Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? by Bolt2011(m): 6:00pm On Jan 14, 2013
NO to divorce settlement but
YESSSS to child-support.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

What Do Men Want? / Is It Obligatory To Change Number After Marriage Basically For Women? / Will You Be Angry With Your Wife If You Discover She's Saving From Upkeep Money?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.