Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,800 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:03 PM

Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity (11017 Views)

Catholic Priest Bars Priests From Officiating At Flamboyant Burials / Christianity And Drinking Of Wine / The Real History Of Christianity - Was The Crucifixion A Hoax? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by ebamma3: 7:37am On Jan 12, 2013
Have been having this arguement with a friend,that merry making at burials is not a part of christianity cos its not found any where in the bible,but to my chagrin christian burials are always a place for merry making,please fellow christians in the house is it a must that i should buy drinks and cook food at my father's burial?
Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by smakati(m): 8:01am On Jan 12, 2013
ebamma 3: Have been having this arguement with a friend,that merry making at burials is not a part of christianity cos its not found any where in the bible,but to my chagrin christian burials are always a place for merry making,please fellow christians in the house is it a must that i should buy drinks and cook food at my father's burial?

I haven't been to a lot of funerals ( I hate going)......but wit d few I ve attended, I ve noticed dat d deceased's family prepares food and drinks for guest.....butfor me I don't eat, cos after taking part in a funeral I lose my appetite.......

Its not a christian or muslim thing, its a Nigerian thing......christians in other part of the world don't do it....its part of our national stupidity.......somebody died, instead of ppl to mourn, dey re killing malu and downing stout....

Its not a must to prepare drinks and food.......as a matter of fact I will instruct my children in my final testament not to serve food and drink @ my funeral, not even pure water......anybody dat is hungry shld go to his/her house to eat.......

8 Likes

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Nobody: 8:01am On Jan 12, 2013
Was about to post a serious reply then I read your signature.

You clearly have a food not Christian problem.

3 Likes

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Nobody: 8:03am On Jan 12, 2013
smakati:

I haven't been to a lot of funerals ( I hate going)......but wit d few I ve attended, I ve noticed dat d deceased's family prepares food and drinks for guest.....butfor me I don't eat, cos after taking part in a funeral I lose my appetite.......

Its not a christian or muslim thing, its a Nigerian thing......christians in other part of the world don't do it....its part of our national stupidity.......somebody died, instead of ppl to mourn, dey re killing malu and downing stout....

Its not a must to prepare drinks and food.......as a matter of fact I will instruct my children in my final testament not to serve food and drink @ my funeral, not even pure water......anybody dat is hungry shld go to his/her house to eat.......

Ah, my friend, what makes it national stupidity?
Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by smakati(m): 8:09am On Jan 12, 2013
musKeeto:

Ah, my friend, what makes it national stupidity?
Because its only in Nigeria that you will find people 'throwing' parties when they haven't paid their children's school fees........I have even seen a funeral where close to 500k was spent on 'Funeral Reception' imagine !!!, when the next school term resumed, the children of the diseased where sent home frm school cos there fees hadn't been paid, by den all those ppl who partook of the reception had gone underground

2 Likes

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 12, 2013
ebamma 3: Have been having this arguement with a friend,that merry making at burials is not a part of christianity cos its not found any where in the bible,but to my chagrin christian burials are always a place for merry making,please fellow christians in the house is it a must that i should buy drinks and cook food at my father's burial?
BURIALS IS NOT A PART OF 'CHRISTIANITY'. AS SUCH EATING AND DRINKING AT BURIALS IS A MUTE POINT. THOSE SUPPOSED CHRISTIANS ARE ACTUALLY HEATHENS WHO THINK THEY ARE CHRISTIANS. NOT EVERYONE WHO CALLS MY NAME IS OFF ME. THESE ARE HEATHENS PRETENDING TO BE REAL CHRISTIANS. IMPOSTORS
LUKE 9 VS 60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God

3 Likes

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by engrtee(f): 1:35pm On Jan 12, 2013
obadiah777: BURIALS IS NOT A PART OF 'CHRISTIANITY'. AS SUCH EATING AND DRINKING AT BURIALS IS A MUTE POINT. THOSE SUPPOSED CHRISTIANS ARE ACTUALLY HEATHENS WHO THINK THEY ARE CHRISTIANS. NOT EVERYONE WHO CALLS MY NAME IS OFF ME. THESE ARE HEATHENS PRETENDING TO BE REAL CHRISTIANS. IMPOSTORS
LUKE 9 VS 60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God
when you die, you wont be buried.your body thrown to the vultures

5 Likes

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jan 12, 2013
engrtee: when you die, you wont be buried.your body thrown to the vultures
Damn,, the unfortunate vultures...

1 Like

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jan 12, 2013
engrtee: when you die, you wont be buried.your body thrown to the vultures
I CANT DIE. I AM QUICKENED grin grin
Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jan 12, 2013
musKeeto:
Damn,, the unfortunate vultures...
YOU DO ERR MUSKEETO. VULTURES DO NOT EAT VULTURES. I AM POSITIONING MYSELF TO BE THE VULTURE, THE EAGLE, WHEN THE ERA OF THE GENTILES END. NO VULTURE CAN EAT A VULTURE. THAT IS CANNIBALISM OR 'VULTURISM' undecided grin grin
Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Truckpusher(m): 2:37pm On Jan 12, 2013
I don't even consider it as a burial it should be called INTER HOUSE SPORTS grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by azyaq(m): 11:14am On Jan 13, 2013
smakati:

wow! U̶̲̥̅̊ av jst said the fact about this topic may God increase ur memory Aminnnn
Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by koolet: 11:15am On Jan 13, 2013
Nope, its ofcourse 2 gain urdience undecided
Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by koolet: 11:17am On Jan 13, 2013
Nt part of christainity bt part of gluttony grin
Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by sunnyt1(m): 11:17am On Jan 13, 2013
Kai, some African cultures are odd.
Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by sunnyt1(m): 11:18am On Jan 13, 2013
Kai, some African cultures are odd.
It has nothing to do with christianity,
Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Intrepid1(m): 11:20am On Jan 13, 2013
You go to a burial, you see people solemn and all for as much time as it takes to conclude the church service and put the dead in the ground. As soon as the food is turned out, a newcomer will be forgiven for thinking he walked into a naming ceremony...

2 Likes

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 13, 2013
No it's part of Islam.

1 Like

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by djeezy(m): 11:22am On Jan 13, 2013
It is not part of christianity but a norm which the people have adopted for themselves. Because it is not found in the bible does not ipso facto make it wrong.

1 Like

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by bleeztouch(m): 11:23am On Jan 13, 2013
You just hv to entertain the guests,although its not compulsory

1 Like

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Exponental(m): 11:25am On Jan 13, 2013
Burial ceremony could be taskful....why shld I be @ a burial and in d long run not get refreshed.....u wan bury more pple?
Refreshment!
Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by GentleNaaz(m): 11:28am On Jan 13, 2013
No! But remeber dat some wl come from far dstanc, so u need 2 atleast gv dm refreshmnt

4 Likes

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Nobody: 11:29am On Jan 13, 2013
smakati:

The way forward...

It doesnt make sense to me too celebrating someone's death with food and drink.
Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by SlyIg(f): 11:32am On Jan 13, 2013
Many churches are working on stopping all sort of entertainment on the burial ground. I hate it when a family even sells the remaining property of the dead person in order to raise money for the burial. Can you imagine that a good part of the burial expenses goes to entertainment?
Worst still,in some churches that have deadline for the burial of their dead member,the family can even go as far as hiding the corpse in order to raise money for the burial without announcing it to the church.
All these things shouldn't be pls. I love it when i watch in foreign movies when the family and friends move to the grave side to bury their dead loved ones and that ends the burial rites.
We still have a long way to go in Nigeria though.

1 Like

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Nobody: 11:37am On Jan 13, 2013
SlyIg: .

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Ninilowo(m): 11:40am On Jan 13, 2013
Culture came before religion so such cannot be ruled out. Reknown "Men of God" feast during burial of their beloved ones.
Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Nobody: 11:42am On Jan 13, 2013
Is not an obligation that you must cook but considering people that will come from far places and spend hours at the burial you will have to make arrangments for what they will eat in order to regain strength. Body no be fire wood, say person die no mean say the living no go chop food. After all peter the apostles said, to live is christ but to die is gain. When someone dies in christ broda/sistas their own better ooooo.

3 Likes

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Nobody: 11:43am On Jan 13, 2013
Its celebration of Life.
If u watch well, u will see dt wher d obituary States 'gone too soon', refreshments are barely served. All they do is intern d corpse to eternal rest. Bt wher an obituary states 'call to glory' 'gone to rest' 'celebration of life' 'eternal call' 'a life well spent' etc.. It simply means dt d such persons live an achivers life worth celebrating.. Hence d merriment @ funerals. Its d african way of celebrating d life time of a dead loved one who made his mark be yielding to d inevitable call..

3 Likes

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Nobody: 11:54am On Jan 13, 2013
SlyIg: Many churches are working on stopping all sort of entertainment on the burial ground. I hate it when a family even sells the remaining property of the dead person in order to raise money for the burial. Can you imagine that a good part of the burial expenses goes to entertainment?
Worst still,in some churches that have deadline for the burial of their dead member,the family can even go as far as hiding the corpse in order to raise money for the burial without announcing it to the church.
All these things shouldn't be pls. I love it when i watch in foreign movies when the family and friends move to the grave side to bury their dead loved ones and that ends the burial rites.
We still have a long way to go in Nigeria though.
Xo all we do in nigeria now is use foreign standards to judge our culture and traditions even wen they arnt repugnant nor obnoxious. Very soon, people will come and say dt since d president of america wears only suit in his official functions and assignments, GEJ shuld stop wearing native dresses to occasions... Wht the fuk..!

2 Likes

Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jan 13, 2013
Ninilowo: Culture came before religion so such cannot be ruled out. Reknown "Men of God" feast during burial of their beloved ones.
Help me tell dem.. No body forces u to cook in funeralz jst like no one forces u to be born again. Certain standards are subjective.. Soo u don't judge others by yor standards or subjective thots..!
Re: Is Eating And Drinking At Burials Part Of Christianity by zibe(m): 12:13pm On Jan 13, 2013
Burial in Nigeria is a communal thing and traditional thing.

People come from very far distance to attend the burials (Relations, in-laws, friends of relatives, etc). Even though it isn't a must to entertain these people, the family of the deceased would wanna thank the relatives and friends and friends of relatives...etc, for coming. And the only way they can do this the Nigerian way is to feed them.

I feel one can organise a burial where people are not invited, just the immediate family members, if they don't wanna spend, or don't have the money for it. The main thing is to mourn the deceased.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? / What Is Heaven Like? / Was Bob Marley A True Prophet?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.