Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

7 Facts About The North - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Facts About The North (46791 Views)

Why Is Their A Decline In The Use Of Other Languages In The North? / The Problem With Nigeria Is The North / Who Says The Hausas Are Not Nice; My Experience In The North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Harbb: 1:49pm On Feb 09, 2013
The head of the Traditional Council of Taraba State is not a Fulani. He's the Jukun Traditional Ruler, The Aku Uka of Wukari. Get your facts right.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by ckkris: 1:56pm On Feb 09, 2013
[quote author=Real-Mccoy]
Thanks for pointing that out. There is a huge gap between north and south and I think not understanding each other is the root of our wahala. If Nigeria should divide, what will be the faith of Christian core northerners? [/quote
]
Simple. Their heads will cut off. See RaymondIbrahim.com. If I post the video made by the jahadists of Northern Nigeria, the moderator may censor it. But its happening frequently.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by pekelepekele(m): 2:06pm On Feb 09, 2013
I need a TIV male friend please any grin cheesy
Re: 7 Facts About The North by theripper2: 2:08pm On Feb 09, 2013
cool Never Keep an Hausa/Fulani as a friend if u are a christian during a religious or political crisis in the North, u are the first person he targets to slaughter

I also see a covert attempt by some Islamophiles to justify Muhammad sleeping with a 9yr old with their Mary was 14 or 15 ranting.

The TIV ish is somehow true, confirmed from some Idoma and Igede friends. But I think it is antediluvian now.

No 7 is a lie, it might have been engineered by the Kanuris but the Hausa and fulani abokis are actively involved now.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by mu2sa2: 2:08pm On Feb 09, 2013
Ngutor: It is good that the op labeled those 7 things facts and not truths. Someone once argued that that all truths are facts but not all facts are truths, but thats talk for another day.
Speaking as a tiv man I would say the op is uninformed or being mischievous. You can try to inquire from those that served (NYSC) in Benue state, perhaps they will give you a little insight of how many peoples wives they were offered to make thier 1year stay worth the while.
PLEASE we should not just write things because we have access to a device and internet, we should write to share accurate knowledge that would enlighten minds
Double post
Re: 7 Facts About The North by mu2sa2: 2:09pm On Feb 09, 2013
Ngutor: It is good that the op labeled those 7 things facts and not truths. Someone once argued that that all truths are facts but not all facts are truths, but thats talk for another day.
Speaking as a tiv man I would say the op is uninformed or being mischievous. You can try to inquire from those that served (NYSC) in Benue state, perhaps they will give you a little insight of how many peoples wives they were offered to make thier 1year stay worth the while.
PLEASE we should not just write things because we have access to a device and internet, we should write to share accurate knowledge that would enlighten minds
You are right. I was in Tiv area of benue state for a almost a year and never saw or heard of tiv man offering his wife to his so-called special guest. Tiv people are christians and I dont think christianity condones such act. I believe its all damaging rumours fabricated by tiv haters.If u say the tiv drink a lot especially pito or burukutu I wont dispute it. If u say there are lots of tiv widows with nobody to support them and therefore take to unwholesome practices to survive, I wont dispute it either. But it's certainly not true that that in tiv culture u allow your guest to sleep with your wife as a way of entertaining him

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by theripper2: 2:09pm On Feb 09, 2013
pekelepekele: I need a TIV male friend please any grin cheesy

TIV babes are some of finest, just go benue, u no need sabi person sef. And dem no like money. Just ur "love" and ur time.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by abdullone: 2:15pm On Feb 09, 2013
achi4u: Too disgusting!

But I don't think such traditions were still in existence.

*the fear of dreaded HIV..
this an old traditional which was stopped so many yes ago
Re: 7 Facts About The North by AnanseK(m): 2:20pm On Feb 09, 2013
Real-Mccoy:

Thanks for pointing that out. There is a huge gap between north and south and I think not understanding each other is the root of our wahala. If Nigeria should divide, what will be the faith of Christian core northerners?

Christianity of course. What did you think?

Some people think only about Boko Haram, a group that is less than .01 % of northern Muslim population. You never believe us when we say we don't support BH and even when they kill us , the best others do is to ignore or even to wickedly claim it to be a plan. We are still suffering in many ways , but I don't expect any sympathy or even understanding.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by GodsSon5(m): 2:21pm On Feb 09, 2013
A Tiv man will never give you his wife for entertainment, in fact if you touch a Tiv mans wife be sure he will Hack you down....It has never been a traditional norm
Re: 7 Facts About The North by indoorlove(m): 2:24pm On Feb 09, 2013
Oga, if you said the tradition is no longer practise again, u would have made more sense than outrightly denied it was ever practised. I was in Benue for a visit around 1996 or thereabout and believe me, this act was practised before my very eye. Pls dont ask me if i live with them, they were my neigbour and one of their son who was my friend told me there was nothing wrong with it.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by AnanseK(m): 2:24pm On Feb 09, 2013
the_ripper2: cool Never Keep an Hausa/Fulani as a friend if u are a christian during a religious or political crisis in the North, u are the first person he targets to slaughter
I also see a covert attempt by some Islamophiles to justify Muhammad sleeping with a 9yr old with their Mary was 14 or 15 ranting.
The TIV ish is somehow true, confirmed from some Idoma and Igede friends. But I think it is antediluvian now.
No 7 is a lie, it might have been engineered by the Kanuris but the Hausa and fulani abokis are actively involved now.

Jack the Ripper2. And proud of it?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by caesaraba(m): 2:26pm On Feb 09, 2013
fellis:

I really hope the practice no longer goes on. Rumors are still going round that it hasn't stopped though.

Tell such rumour mongers to Go to any tiv man's house and try it and see na. Na their burial dem go attend the next weekend. That practice was an ancient practice and this was done because the ancient Tivs married dozens of wives and had large families strictly for farming purposes and so the intimacy which exists between modern-day man and wife wasn't that strong (at least with the other wives) back then.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Niceice: 2:30pm On Feb 09, 2013
Educational
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Arsenate(m): 2:32pm On Feb 09, 2013
Southerners on average are very ignorant of the north; regardless of their level of education (I work in Lagos and my colleagues are highly educated and intelligent, too. But I always smh at their level of ignorance of anything north). I wonder what could really be the cause. Most rely on hearsays and the media (most times incorrect) for their info. Sadly, such people will avoid threads such as this in favour of those that feed their stereotyped minds.

5 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by abdulkayus(m): 2:37pm On Feb 09, 2013
Let me add mine in a little way dat i knw.
1) Northern states like Kaduna has 50% xtains, Taraba 55%, Borno(Yes, BH headquarters) 35% xtains, Adamawa 60% Xtains, Plateau 85%, Nassarawa 50%, Kogi 30%, Kwara 30%, Niger 15%, Kebbi 25%. States like Sokoto, Kano, Katsina and Zamfara has less than 2% Xtains and dey are mostly sidelined.
When many ppl frm d south hear abt North, dey usually think its muslims dat dominate d region 100 percent, nt knowing dat there are some states dat is 50 50 and some tiltin to either side. And there are also many PAGAN (Traditional worshippers) also esp in States like Taraba, Plateau, Kebbi, Borno, Nassara and Gombe and dey are well recognise by d populace.

2) Also some states esp Taraba, Nassarawa and Adamawa and sometime Borno do behave like d Yorybas in term of religious tolerant whereby u will c a family made of Muslims, Xtains and Traditional worshippers and dey live in peace.

More 2 come

5 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by gidson02(m): 2:38pm On Feb 09, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Still can't believe this TIV's crazy culture.
No wonder they have the highest population of HIV victims in d country.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by caesaraba(m): 2:41pm On Feb 09, 2013
gidson02: No wonder they have the highest population of HIV victims in d country.

I recommend you listen to Bob Marley's "redemption song."Cheers.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by abdulkayus(m): 2:42pm On Feb 09, 2013
Arsenate: Southerners on average are very ignorant of the north; regardless of their level of education (I work in Lagos and my colleagues are highly educated and intelligent, too. But I always smh at their level of ignorance of anything north). I wonder what could really be the cause. Most rely on hearsays and the media (most times incorrect) for their info. Sadly, such people will avoid threads such as this in favour of those that feed their stereotyped minds.

u are right dude. I think its media and arrogance on d part of d average southerners believing they are superior to d northerners and dat northerners are nt wise bt mumu and anti social dat is y dey call dem Aboki, nt knowin dat Aboki means Friend. Also, some few states in d north also contribute to dat due to their senseless religious crisis, bt d media always over blow it.
Its like d same arrogance dat is beclouding d Ordinary West abt we African.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 09, 2013
shymexx: Nigerians and their sanctimonious stupidity and myopia - what's barbaric with the TIV ruler sharing his wife if that's their tradition Are there not swingers out there in the western world who give their wives and girlfriends to all and sundry for sex And people in open-relationships all over the world

The same pseudo-modernist clowns slagging the TIV culture are also the fools who think phaggots should be allowed to practice phaggotry - talk about freaking hypocrites!! If that's how they get down in TIV-land - let them be for crying out loud!!!

Topic:

Interesting and educative info. about the North - I don't know why, but Northerners are the coolest people in Nigeria IMO... Big ups to the North!!

I wish you were tiv.we,ll be friends and i,ll be coming to visit you and your wife at pecknarm....THREE TIMES EVERYDAY..

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by hollypagan: 2:52pm On Feb 09, 2013
well confirm muhamed married the last wife at age of 9 even she was raped before getting married to her
Re: 7 Facts About The North by AnanseK(m): 2:55pm On Feb 09, 2013
holly-pagan:
well confirm muhamed married the last wife at age of 9 even she was raped before getting married to her

And Christian male priests are marrying boys now!

3 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by AnanseK(m): 2:56pm On Feb 09, 2013
holly-pagan:

And Christian male embarassed priests are marrying boys now! Or at least violating them.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Freestyl(m): 2:57pm On Feb 09, 2013
(5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife.

#101 % FALSE! it only exist in your imagination.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by blackbeau1(f): 2:59pm On Feb 09, 2013
You forgot two other facts
1)They love power too much
2)They are holding the entire nation to ransom now.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Awelechukwu16(f): 3:00pm On Feb 09, 2013
5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to
make love to his wife.
Thats rubbish:@!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by neksummi(m): 3:10pm On Feb 09, 2013
Thanks for sharing this.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by somegirl1: 3:13pm On Feb 09, 2013
logica: It may appear that this same disgusting culture was practiced in the Middle-East.

Doesn't make it less disgusting.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Warlord3000(m): 3:14pm On Feb 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
^yes I agree. whats wrong with these Tiv

and i thought Adamawa has more languages. . tongue

also the Etsu Nupe of NIger is not pure Nupe. HE is half-bred FUlani-Nupe.

The True and REAL pure Etsu Nupe RUlers, desendants of the Nupe Prince Jimada, are still fighting for their claim to the throne from Patigi, north-East of Bida and are protesting against this foreign rule.

also Saarkin Daura of Katsina State is a FUll-blooded Hausa and a descendant of BAyanjidda.

I did served in Patigi.. But last time I checked, the nupe tribe of Patigi is in kwara.. Separated by the river-niger from Bida?

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by amiskurie(m): 3:16pm On Feb 09, 2013
BYE BYE!
SANGO Can never leave OYO to save a life in ANAMBRA... Not possible... That's the job of AMADIOHA. grin
Re: 7 Facts About The North by somegirl1: 3:17pm On Feb 09, 2013
tbaba1234:

The Catholic Encyclopediaobserves about the Virgin Mary (peace be upon her) that, “it is possible that Mary gave
birth to her Son when she was about thirteen or fourteen years of age.” (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15464b.htm, accessed 06/11/2010)

keyword highlighted.
However, I have no issues with two young people getting married. If Joseph was not much older than she was, no problems.
What I can't stand is old hags marrying or sleeping with little girls.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land / Yusuf Bayero Is Dead! Emir Of Kano's Uncle Dies / Unoaku Anyadike Visits The Ooni Of Ife (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.