Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,612 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:02 PM

Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up (13559 Views)

Super Eagles Defeat FC Farense 5 - 0 In Friendly Game / I Am Not Responsible For Super Eagles Defeat - T.b Joshua / Super Eagles Lose In Warm-up Match In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by psamuell2(m): 6:25pm On Jan 12, 2013
The Super Eagles continued its buildup for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa later this month with an amazing display of attacking football to overwhelm Dutch side, Sparta Rotterdam 1-0, in Faro, Portugal on Saturday afternoon.

The game which was played at the Browns Sports and Leisure Club, where the Eagles are presently camped ahead of the Afcon started on a cautious not for both sides, but it was the Eagles which featured skipper Joseph Yobo pairing youthful Kenneth Omeruo, who was impressive in the heart of the defence, that seized the initiatives just five minutes into the encounter.

A combination of Efe Ambrose and Ahmed Musa found Nosa Igiebor at the edge of the box, but he blasted wide. In the 10th minute, Mikel Obi combined beautifully with Igiebor to free Emenike, but his shot was again wasted. Mikel again did a yeoman’s job in the 14th minute to send Emenike clear and he promptly tucked the ball into the net but Dutch referee for the game Wim Bronsvoort ruled it offside.

From then on it was one way traffic as the Eagles seized control of the game but Igiebor, Moses, Emenike and Musa somehow managed not to score and the half thus ended goalless, to the chagrin of Stephen Keshi, who thought his wards should have at least been two goals up by then.

The Eagles continued from where they stopped in the second stanza and in the 55thminute, Ambrose Efe combined beautifully with Musa, who dribbled his way into the vital area before laying the ball for bulky Emenike to riffle home for what turned out the only goal of the encounter.

After the goal Keshi made eight changes to his team with Ejike Uzoenyi coming in for Victor Moses, Gabriel Reuben for Mikel, Ike Uche for Emenike, Sunday Mba for Nosa Igiebor, Brown Ideye for Musa, Ogenyi Onazi for Yobo, Nwankwo Obiorah for Ogude Fegor and goalkeeper Chigozie Agbim for Vincent Enyeama.

The Dutch side did threaten a couple of times through dangerman, Donovan Deekman spotting number 11 jersey, but it was dealt by Enyeama and later by Agbim. Infact, they took only one straight shot at goal that was easily pick up by Enyeama at the start of the second half.

The Eagles continued their dominant play even with the changes but Ideye, Uche, Reuben and Mba failed to increase the tally, to keep the scoreline at only 1-0, after 90minutes.

Rotterdam coach, Michel Vonk, said he was delighted with the robust, attacking play of the Eagles, adding that if they keep it up they will go far at the Nations Cup. “Your team play physical and quick and at times they slow it down and before you know it they are all over you. I told my players that is what to expect and we were not disappointed. Their quality is very good”, he said.

The coach singled out Mikel Obi and Kenneth Omeruo for special mention. “Your number 10 (Mikel), is very good, creative and has good vision, then Omeruo, very good aerially and gives good cover to the keeper. Your team wasted a lot of chances, they must learn to take them at the Nations Cup and I wish them good luck,” he concluded.

Nigeria will begin their Afcon 2013 campaign with a match against burkinafaso on January 21 in Nelspruit.

www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4687/2013-africa-cup-of-nations/2013/01/12/3667304/emenike-scores-as-nigeria-defeat-sparta-rotterdam-in-warm-up?source=breakingnews&ICID=HP_BN_3
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jan 12, 2013
Good job by the Eagles. It's also good to know that Mikel was at the heart of Naija's attacking play, creating chances for the forwards. From this report, it seems that Efe Ambrose was once again, deployed as a full-back. I hope he excels at that position in less than 2 weeks time. Ambrose should definitely be in d starting 11 at the AFCON.

The competition for a central defensive partner to Yobo looks like it's going to be between Oboabona and Omeruo. I'm comfortable with either of them though.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 12, 2013
Can these boys please finish up their chances? What is the point in playing beautiful soccer and then when you reach the business end of the pitch you waste the ball? This must stop. Keshi must drill it into these boys that they cannot waste scoring chances and hope to lift this cup. They need to match their field artistry with deadliness in front of goal.

5 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jan 12, 2013
^^^
Yeah, the SE need to be more clinical in front of goal because they may not have that many scoring chances against Zambia or any of the other top teams.
They should use the 6-1 thrashing of Liberia as a template.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by Kaxmytex(m): 8:03pm On Jan 12, 2013
Hope nobody get injury sha
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by free13: 8:06pm On Jan 12, 2013
We are watching. cool
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by mbhs139(m): 8:07pm On Jan 12, 2013
This is a morale booster for those that watch the SE. Good luck to all of huna
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by stacomaster(m): 8:08pm On Jan 12, 2013
Na ROT-HER-ADAM em go beat em knw fit beat Cape..smh
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by okosodo: 8:09pm On Jan 12, 2013
Let us pray that they win at least one match, because i am seeing a disgrace with this team
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by Rastamann: 8:10pm On Jan 12, 2013
They should try to keep this winning tempo on and do their best in the AFCON. I have observed that it is always difficult when the SE play African teams.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by Pacesetter2: 8:11pm On Jan 12, 2013
Nice show but the koko nah AFCON...with these matches you dey show us say you are fit..
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 12, 2013
Com make una no go score all the goals wey una suppose score for Afcon for friendly matches ooooooooooooooooooo

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by cashmentor(m): 8:16pm On Jan 12, 2013
Seems they're already blending well, thats good.
The result is good for their confidence, after that Pot Belly Display against CV.... But i really dnt know why Ik Uche is always introduced during the 2nd Half? He's the Best Finisher we have in the Team. Even during the qualifiers, he was always introduced late....
Why Bench your Best Finisher
Don't tell me about super Sub, ik Uche ought to be the front Man, considering his shapness, and records for the team!

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by cashmentor(m): 8:20pm On Jan 12, 2013
Rastamann: I have observed that it is always difficult when the SE play African teams.
That's Coz every African Team, Coach, Players etc, know the Eagles so Well.... They know all our key players coz they watch them week in week Out!
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by Tbillz(m): 8:22pm On Jan 12, 2013
Orì yomì goals wil neva bring a cup!!!
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by markus1133: 8:32pm On Jan 12, 2013
greaaat match
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by Donmams(m): 8:39pm On Jan 12, 2013
A 'great attacking display' yet the mediocre eagles only scored 1 goal? Am i missing something here?
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 12, 2013
So how many games has the nigerian team won since qualifying? embarassed
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by solomon111(m): 8:49pm On Jan 12, 2013
HNosegbe:

Thank you for this great revelation. Locate the nearest refuse dump to redeem your prize.
lol.
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by slex(m): 8:50pm On Jan 12, 2013
Liessss the game was so boring and useless. They are just sweet talking to us all. I wish they improve before before AFCON if not. The group stage is not even sure
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by Pacesetter2: 8:50pm On Jan 12, 2013
Donmams: A 'great attacking display' yet the mediocre eagles only scored 1 goal? Am i missing something here?
How many goal do you score throughout when you are in school?
Appreciate them
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by pappyshun(m): 8:53pm On Jan 12, 2013
If eagus creation shansis against rotadam hand them failure to score moore than wan goal then us should began to pray prayer before commentment of halfcom.............That is to say only through devine intervention would the eagles win AFCON 2013!Let those who have ears hear what the spirit is saying.#PRAYER#
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by tonmandy(m): 9:06pm On Jan 12, 2013
pappyshun: If eagus creation shansis against rotadam hand them failure to score moore than wan goal then us should began to pray prayer before commentment of halfcom.............That is to say only through devine intervention would the eagles win AFCON 2013!Let those who have ears hear what the spirit is saying.#PRAYER#
are u ok at all. Wat do u think u re writing?

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by drumosbite: 9:14pm On Jan 12, 2013
Super eagles will win †ђξ nations cup......mark my words
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by Emilord(m): 9:15pm On Jan 12, 2013
Nigeria will open their game on jan 21 against burkinafaso and not Zambia
Re: Super Eagles Defeat Sparta Rotterdam In Warm Up by Sonofpeace(m): 9:19pm On Jan 12, 2013
did anybody here watch the match? cos i think this winning might be PR stunt.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Will Rule Boxing For 10 Years, Anthony Joshua Boasts / Manchester United: Carrick To Step Down As First Team Coach / Johan Cruyff: Netherlands Great Dies Of Cancer Aged 68

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.