Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

Cd Database Application - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Cd Database Application (1560 Views)

Develop A A Small Database Application (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cd Database Application by pojutime(m): 1:30pm On Apr 28, 2006
Hi all, I want to create a cd based application which is essentially a database (directory) with a front end to search the database based on a user's defined criteria. I need to know what program to develop this with- The two options I know of are VB and Macromedia Director. I learnt javascript can't connect to a database else it would have been my choice since it wil be preferrable ifthe application will autorun once the cd is placed in the drive without any need for installing. Thanks guys. The database will most likely be in access.
Cheers
Re: Cd Database Application by Bossman(m): 6:12pm On Apr 28, 2006
Visual Basic scales well with MS Access. Java can also be used. You definitely cannot use JavaScript which is just a scripting language, used mainly to make the user interface (browser) somewhat interactive.

It's your call. You can either make it a stand alone application or a web based application. You just need to determine which programming language you are more comfortable with. Do some design and analysis and then go from there.
Re: Cd Database Application by pojutime(m): 10:25pm On Apr 28, 2006
Bossman:

Visual Basic scales well with MS Access. Java can also be used. You definitely cannot use JavaScript which is just a scripting language, used mainly to make the user interface (browser) somewhat interactive.

It's your call. You can either make it a stand alone application or a web based application. You just need to determine which programming language you are more comfortable with. Do some design and analysis and then go from there.

I'm willing to learn a new language if thats what will solve the problem. I know VB and Access gel well. I just need to know if its possible to create it as an application that will not need to be installed.
Cheers
Re: Cd Database Application by Bossman(m): 10:34pm On Apr 28, 2006
With VB you can create an executable and I do not see any issue there. As for Java, if your app. is web based, then you will need someone to host it, and that provider will needs to be able to host Java apps. So, all you have to do is create a jar/war file and package it for deployment. If it's standalone, then whoever needs to run the app, will need to have the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) running running.

This is a very common application, so there may be packages out there that already do what you are trying to do. All you have to do is customize it to suit you. You may want to try google first.
Re: Cd Database Application by pojutime(m): 12:10am On Apr 29, 2006
@Bossman
I dont want an executable if possible, thats why I'm looking for a "projector" like finished product. VB will create an exe which will have to be installed. I tried serachin for a product which can do the trick but didnt find any. Can you help me find any?

I think Director will fit it perfectly.
Re: Cd Database Application by smartsoft(m): 6:21am On Apr 29, 2006
well why don't you do it stand alone huh ? that will be good and you can use PHP/MYSQL for it and what you need to there is just installing a APache Webserver that will run everything for you and Creat An API for it, no need of installign any thing, What you need to do is just install Apache on the system and do what ever you wanna do.

I guess that saves don't know sha just a suggestion
Re: Cd Database Application by modpluz(m): 8:12am On Apr 29, 2006
well, i completely agree with smartsoft and bossman you can use VB/MS Access or you use PHP/MySQL both of them works good(if you know how to use it very well).
But that'll strongly depends on how you want your app used(windows based or web based).if windows based then i'll say you should go for VB/MS Access but if it web based, then i say u go for PHP/MYSQL considering the fact that you might decide to make your app out for distribution.so to help end user(s) use it with ease.
Re: Cd Database Application by smartsoft(m): 9:18pm On Apr 29, 2006
He can make it a Desktop Application, using PHP/MYSQL, it shouldn't be web base thing, he can make it a stand alone by having a  web server installed and everything will run on your local host,  just download Mysql and create your DB from Comand Prompt. then do the rest. with your PHP to query your database since you have your APache Software on the system.
Re: Cd Database Application by modpluz(m): 3:55am On May 01, 2006

He can make it a Desktop Application, using PHP/MYSQL, it shouldn't be web base thing, he can make it a stand alone by having a  web server installed and everything will run on your local host,  just download Mysql and create your DB from Comand Prompt. then do the rest. with your PHP to query your database since you have your APache Software on the system.

of course yes,   i said web based because he might not only want to run it locally on his PC but might later want to distribute it to the web,  because 4 me, the only reason why i run PHP/MySQL locally on my machine is for debugging purposes and to have a preview of my app/page before it gets to the WWW
Re: Cd Database Application by pojutime(m): 6:23pm On May 01, 2006
I dont want anything that will involve a server, I need a solutin that will run as easily as possible without giving me any headaches and removing fears of proper configuring of any platform or framework.

Cheers.
NB- How can one even compile a php/mysql app?
Re: Cd Database Application by smartsoft(m): 6:32pm On May 01, 2006
well since you don't want a server or anything that will do to something you install, well i bet notting you can do, you still need something to install notting come so easy man !
Re: Cd Database Application by pojutime(m): 1:00pm On May 02, 2006
i learnt Macromedia Director can do it and there wont be need to install any file. Just run the product of the development.
Re: Cd Database Application by Cactus(m): 4:33pm On May 02, 2006
why are you taking the long way i know someone has already replied your msg regarding VB.NET but i am not sure you understand clearly. if you build the application in vb.net you don't have to install the end product u just click on the exe file and it runs there is nothing you have to install its very simple. ideally all you need r two files, the exe and the database. if you have images and all that goodies they go into sub directories.

okay if you don't want to do it in vb, create an application in MS Access. Filemaker, or MFC

i believe there is already a db element for cd or video library in MS Access
Re: Cd Database Application by Bossman(m): 8:41pm On May 02, 2006
I have not read this thread in detail. I am in the US Virgin Island right now (on a 7 day eastern Caribbean Cruise). I will reply in detail once I return to the US. But, I think the other members have given good advice based on what you are trying to achieve.
Re: Cd Database Application by lordNebu(m): 5:39pm On May 27, 2006
hey man instead of all this web and standalone argument it is up to u the developer wht do u want man a web based app or what , whatever choice u make something somewhere just has to be installed, if ur app is portable enough to fit into a removeable media then create and exe install it there and move arround with ur app that way u dont install nothing on a sys but just run it from the media, jeez man! anyother topic cool
Re: Cd Database Application by kazey(m): 8:31pm On May 27, 2006
You can make desktop based application using php/mysql, and even CD database application that would be runned from a CD. But that would require that you install the main program unto the machine.

It is possible, but requires some professional skills.

php-gtk extension allows thats. http://gtk.php.net/
Re: Cd Database Application by lojik(m): 1:43am On Apr 22, 2008
Hi all!
i just joined now n i think i quite understand what this guy needs.
i have apps that run from CD (No installation required) and use relational database.
The best way of doin this is to use flash/actionscript + wrapper + SQLite. Its guaranteed because i've done it several times.

SQLite needs no server at all, its light, scalable and it runs from anywhere (CD, Flash drive, web, name it) and flash is a standalone projector even when used with wrappers.
Mail me 4 more info (lekeojikutu@yahoo.com). i could help u wit your project if i need to.
wink
Re: Cd Database Application by prodgalson: 3:23pm On Apr 22, 2008
I like the way this Lojik kid thinks

We used to deploy swf projector apps all the time back in the day (before sqllite even, back in 98), and burn a pc and mac version to a 'smart cd' that autoplayed the right version accordingly.

However, an even better idea is to skip the projector and build it on AIR, so you can run it on Win/Mac/Linux.
What IDE do you use for your AS? And please dont say swish or something silly.
Re: Cd Database Application by lojik(m): 6:06pm On Apr 22, 2008
i use Adobe flash and/or SwishMax 2008 grin.
i aint used AIR b4 but zinc wrapper works fine on win, mac and linux os. I'll try AIR. do u think its as cool as they say it is?

(1) (Reply)

How To Become A Better Programmer / Piggy Bank Algorithm / Practical C#/web Programming For Beginners ** Enter Here **

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.