Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,313 members, 7,808,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:12 AM

13 Design Trends For 2013 - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 13 Design Trends For 2013 (1043 Views)

Google Code Jam Contest 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

13 Design Trends For 2013 by lordZOUGA(m): 9:22am On Jan 13, 2013
1. Flat Design

This seems to be the most obvious choice for upcoming trends. Flat design is essentially the polar opposite of the realistic-riddled issue that many people have with skeumorphism. While they definitely weren’t the first to implement it, there’s one company that took it to an entirely new level. Microsoft.

Windows 8 seems to have built its entirely new OS around the idea of a completely flat UI, most of which revolves around the Windows 8 UI (previously known as Metro) and Live Tiles. It started a while ago with the XBOX dashboard, but seeing an entire OS revolve around the flat design was a bit unexpected at the time. It has its pros and cons, but thats the basics of trade-offs.

A more recent application that utilizes flat design is an alarm clock app that goes by the name, Rise. The entire UI is lacking any sort of three-dimensional elements with clean type prevailing throughout.. When you combine that with their gradients, you get a beautiful looking alarm clock. Granted, the utility of an alarm clock doesn’t need a lot of depth as far as the navigation and UX goes, it still proves it’s worth, making for a simple and visually appealing app.

Flat design isn’t for every application. However, there will without a doubt be an uprising of designers and developers alike who are going to strive for a very simplistic approach to the UI of apps to arrive and be updated in 2013.
culled from: http://theindustry.cc/2013/01/07/13-design-trends-for-2013/

Re: 13 Design Trends For 2013 by lordZOUGA(m): 9:24am On Jan 13, 2013
you can read the other design trends... am too lazy to paste them all grin
Re: 13 Design Trends For 2013 by Javanian: 9:58am On Jan 13, 2013
Nice article. Although, i will always prefer the fewer buttons (more gestures) design. Which looks more like the Nairaland type Google wannabe UI...
Re: 13 Design Trends For 2013 by lordZOUGA(m): 10:22am On Jan 13, 2013
Javanian: Nice article. Although, i will always prefer the fewer buttons (more gestures) design. Which looks more like the Nairaland type Google wannabe UI...
I prefer animation as affordance:
3. Animation as Affordance This is also placed strategically after the
previous trends. When you don’t have a button
to press or an icon to select, you can be lost as
to what needs to happen to achieve the task
you’re trying to accomplish. While there isn’t a
lot of this in applications right now (that I know of), little animations can be used to
guide the user as to what needs to happen to
achieve a certain task. The best example I have found yet is the
camera icon on the iOS lock screen. Many
people unfamiliar with iOS would more than
likely resort to just clicking on it instead of
dragging it up. Instead of not doing anything
when pressed, it does a little bounce up and down; revealing the camera feature
underneath. This gives a visual hint to
unknowing users as to how to properly use it in
the future. By offering this hint, users are able
to pick up on things rather quickly.

by offering little animations as affordance, you can guide
people around the UI without cluttering it with
buttons. It’s a solution to one of the trade-offs
of minimizing more prominent visual cues. Besides affordance, there’s another aspect of
animations and transitions that’s significant.
Subtlety and fluidity. Animations within
applications can make or break the experience
for users and when they feel natural, not
glitchy it makes that experience that much more valuable. With development getting
more and more precise and mobile processors
being able to handle much more, this should be
made a priority for upcoming designs.
Re: 13 Design Trends For 2013 by lordZOUGA(m): 11:26am On Jan 13, 2013
Javanian: Nice article. Although, i will always prefer the fewer buttons (more gestures) design. Which looks more like the Google type Nairaland wannabe UI...
nairaland wannabe UI?... Lol
I didn't notice
Re: 13 Design Trends For 2013 by Javanian: 11:31am On Jan 13, 2013
Please edit your post, its the other way round. i meant Nairaland Google wannabe UI grin
Re: 13 Design Trends For 2013 by lordZOUGA(m): 12:00pm On Jan 13, 2013
Javanian: Please edit your post, its the other way round. i meant Nairaland Google wannabe UI grin
okay.. Now, I don't get.

(1) (Reply)

Javascript In One PIX: Understand Javascript With Just A LOOK / Question And Answer Based Website (Program Routes) / Pls I Want To Learn Java, Php, And Hacking.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.