Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,248 members, 7,780,512 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:43 PM

25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You (8544 Views)

An Open Letter To The Church: How The Church Can Make The World A Better Place / Hilarious Nigerian Church Posters (Pictures) / Nigerian "Church" In UK Selling Blackcurrent And Codliver Oil As Cancer Cure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by donwilz(m): 9:41am On Jan 13, 2013
Provide snacks for Children Sunday School classes. This will help you save a little cash. Buying snacks by the church gate for kids before taking them to their classes? Shouldn't the offerings these kids give be used to make their classes more fun? I used to frown at Birthday celebrations that take place in Children classes, but not any more. If not for these celebrations, there will be no form of entertainment for kids apart from singing, clapping and dancing.

Stop telling little Kids who haven't started earning any income that not bringing offering is a sin. The parent's Tithe and offering covers them too.

Stop making members feel like God is some kind of magician who calculates the amount you give him and instantly makes you rich when you give big amounts. God is no magician, he works in mysterious ways.

Tell the congregation that God is interested first in you as a person. I am yet to see where God says that if you need a big car, you have to SOW your property or a huge amount of cash to get it. Tell the people that he is not a God of " The more you give the more you get"

Teach members that loud singing and clapping by 5am, Use of microphones early in the morning and late at night in residential areas can be classified under noise pollution.

Teach the congregation that Christians who are not members of your local church are also recognized by the creator.

Use part of monies invested in big Businesses for charity.

Provide for the needy from the purse without necessarily raising an offering every time help is to be rendered.

Build and buy musical instruments from accumulated Tithes and offerings without tasking members .

Build orphanages for the poor.

Build good health care centers in rural areas and even towns.

Build schools that are affordable. Schools where the offering payers and pledgers can send their children without going into debt.

Build low cost houses to reduce the number of homeless people on the streets. Some people go to church from uncompleted buildings.

Provide Scholarship for children of struggling members.

Care for orphans and widows in a physical way apart from giving them daily doses of spiritual food. Provide physical help aside from praying that God provides for them.

Pay the junior pastors well because they buy from the same market as other members of society and also have to care for their families and pay school fees.

Pay church workers. Those who dedicate all or most of their time singing while offerings are collected or serving in the church deserve to be paid a little something. I know students who spend most of their pocket monies on transportation to church on a daily basis. They have to be there because it is either that they are playing musical instruments for an event or teaching others to sing and play. When their money is exhausted, they either starve or begin to trek long distances to perform these duties at church pending when their parents send money to them. These students and even job seekers who are also church workers, is it scripturally wrong to pay them something?

Organize Christmas parties for kids without necessarily asking these kids to pay and get their receipts if they want to attend.What happens to children who cannot afford to raise money for these parties? They stay at home while the "rich kids" go and have fun in the house of the lord.

Organize holiday camps for students without collecting Registration fee from them. Churches over here are very rich and can afford to camp a few students without asking them to pay. That is what Jesus would have done. Is everything in most of our churches being monetized or what?

Provide portable drinking water for some rural areas where people have to trek long distances to get drinking water. This is a possibility. No single church can handle all the projects alone. However if every Big church did just a little that they can. This Society would have been a better place for us all.

Teach that it is not only members who should be giving to pastors, that Rich and Very comfortable pastors can also provide financial help to church members in need of help aside from prayers.

Teach that Tithing is not the way to heaven, Jesus is. Give sermons that will make the congregation realize that paying Tithe from ill gotten money does not guarantee blessings from God. Many members rush to pay tithe after "runs" and lying to obtain money because what they are taught is that only tithe payers are recognized by God. That, if you do not pay from every dime, you will either fall sick and spend that money at the hospital or get robbed. Some even teach that if you pay tithe, then you cannot lack, be in need or fall sick. So, does that mean every sick person has defaulted in tithe payment at some time in their lives?

Provide free transportation to church,i e for members who cannot afford it. Considering we are a developing country, there are many who really want to go worship in a church, but cannot afford even the subsidized rates.

Have a kind of giving back by way of providing even a free couples night a year, free Valentine's Day celebrations, or even a love feast sponsored by the Church. This is also possible. Who says a local church in Nigeria cannot organize a get together for it's members without members contributing or raising funds for it.

Make church books, audio and videotaped messages cheaper and affordable. These are quite expensive compared to other reading materials we get from bookshops outside the churches. Teachings on Modesty and Godly living are fast fading away. If only the churches can teach a little bit more on Modesty and Contentment, it will go along way in reducing corruption in our Country. What do you expect from a society where what you hear most Sundays is "Money Sermons" Money, Prosperity and a good life are what we all need, YES! But should that be the major Sermon Topics we listen to all the time?

I remember commenting today that when I was a child growing up, Children Sunday School was so much fun. Parents just bring their kids without having to bother about putting snacks in their hands. Kids were so well taken care of so much so that when you come back to pick your child after service, s/he just refuses to go home. Snacks and drinks are provided by the church for the kids on a weekly basis. These days, only very few churches still do that. Even the offering given by these kids is taken away. The only time you meet your kid taking a snack is when another child celebrates birthday at church. Any parent who forgets to get biscuits or a drink for her child, will come back and may be meet that child still crying, bored from just singing and clapping. waiting impatiently to be taken home.

I look forward to a time when we will see a few good roads built by churches in my country Nigeria.
I look forward to a time when charity projects will take the place of outrageously expensive suits, Very posh automobiles, Very expensive schools for children of the rich...
I pray and hope for a time when church leaders will begin to see that preaching prosperity does not completely delete the poor and needy from among us.

We know that the church is not the Government, so, what happens when the church begins to grow richer than the Government? Shouldn't it do a little something too?

Teach that the Israelites were commanded to Tithe, to give 10 percent of their income to God. The New Testament **doesn't repeat that command,** it teaches that ...
A. Giving is a privilege (2corinthians 8:4)
B. You are free to decide how much to give. (2corinthians 9:7)
Can you think of other areas where "The Church In Nigeria" can touch lives apart from prayers and sermons?

http://www.wivestownhallconnection.com/2012/11/25-good-things-your-nigerian-church-can.html#more

22 Likes

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by Nobody: 9:49am On Jan 13, 2013
lol, really? Smh!
Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by Nobody: 9:51am On Jan 13, 2013
I laff... this can only be managed to be done by one man church.... not by an organised Church like TAC or CAC ...

1 Like

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by engrtee(f): 10:22am On Jan 13, 2013
I laf in spanish
Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by Mobinga: 10:57am On Jan 13, 2013
The pastors themselves would read this and throw it away. . . like

3 Likes

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by omoredia: 10:59am On Jan 13, 2013
Leave churches alone! Or keep it in the religion section!
Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by tpia5: 11:02am On Jan 13, 2013
joblessness

1 Like

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by koolet: 11:11am On Jan 13, 2013
Wow owk cool 9ice wat ov Nigerian mosque cheesy

1 Like

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by micklplus(m): 11:15am On Jan 13, 2013
Very well written.

4 Likes

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by wellmax(m): 11:21am On Jan 13, 2013
Joblessness
Inasmuch as some of the suggestions are good, do You think that all the money churches make is for the Pastors bank account only? You have a lot to learn about church operations and administrations.

3 Likes

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by blackbeau1(f): 11:24am On Jan 13, 2013
The topic and d article do not rhyme.anyway @ poster,leave this pastors alone.they will receive their judgement from God.concentrate on what you can do for your society

3 Likes

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by NoContract(m): 11:27am On Jan 13, 2013
omoredia: Leave churches alone! Or keep it in the religion section!

Another gullible slave!

8 Likes

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by NoContract(m): 11:27am On Jan 13, 2013
omoredia: Leave churches alone! Or keep it in the religion section!

Another gullible slowpoke.

3 Likes

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by Nobody: 11:29am On Jan 13, 2013
engrtee: I laf in spanish

me i laf in akwa ibom grin grin
Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by aspabay(m): 11:49am On Jan 13, 2013
Well copied and well pasted
Church exists for the promotion of the kingdom of God. Service to humanity is intertwined with this task.
Who pays to sponsor Evangelism,(personal, out reaches, media etc)
Who pays the bills incurred by the church (utilities etc)
Who pays the church workers who are full time employees
Who pays for other modifications, beautification and enlargement of the church.
I can go on and on.
All you want the church to do is charity. There is much more to do aside from charity, which of course almost all churches are engaged in, in varied ways and methods.
So OP, leave the churches alone and mind your business. Direct your grievances to the govt taking your taxes.

2 Likes

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by Blackbody20(m): 11:56am On Jan 13, 2013
To me, this is a reasonable thread. If churches can make positive contributions like this to the society, Nigeria ll be better off as a nation.

2 Likes

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by adahib: 12:09pm On Jan 13, 2013
a fair compilation of good suggestions. I have been wondering why churches can't provide practical solutions to practical problems.
if I'm hungry,give me food and don't tell me "god will provide"
if I need school fees,help me with a little cash and don't tell me to "go to god in prayers"

2 Likes

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by sarutobie(m): 12:30pm On Jan 13, 2013
While the post is commendable..there is a thin line between what the church should do and what the government should do..don't try to push the government's responsibility to the church..

2 Likes

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by Revolva(m): 12:36pm On Jan 13, 2013
Well if a nigerian pastor sees this post he will just hiss and scream falacy!!! It can't happen here even if it will happen I only belive in the visitation oforphanage homes
Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by tpia5: 12:59pm On Jan 13, 2013
991:

me i laf in akwa ibom grin grin

I laugh in igbo language.
Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by sholay2011(m): 1:11pm On Jan 13, 2013
OP, as much as you made some really good points in your post, I still don't buy your ideas as a whole.

And why are many of your points focusing on the same subject- the church should give to the members, give to the society, give to charity, feed the children, do this and 'does' that...but they shouldn't collect tithes...which you supported wrongly with a scripture you 'stole' from the new testament.

My advise is please let this men of God be. God the judge of all will punish the thieves among them and will open the eyes of people that can't discern fake from true.
It would be of economic good if you (the OP) channel this energy of yours (that you re using to tell us things a 'good' church should do) to stand against our corrupted govt system, reorientate youths on core values, organise socially and politically relevant symposia and create awareness of social issues where necessary.

The govt is the one milking people dry that people are complaining about, not religious leaders! We've done enough of criticisms and 'correctns' of men of God on nairaland. Haba! As if we are better human beings!

1 Like

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by dabrake(m): 1:33pm On Jan 13, 2013
adahib: a fair compilation of good suggestions. I have been wondering why churches can't provide practical solutions to practical problems.
if I'm hungry,give me food and don't tell me "god will provide"
if I need school fees,help me with a little cash and don't tell me to "go to god in prayers"
I tell you. A helping hand is better than 50 praying lips.

1 Like

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by 3poh(m): 3:22pm On Jan 13, 2013
let brotherly love continue. am glad,all these funky pastors can't tell me nothin else. No u can't tell me Nothing!!! keep it up poster. Tell 'em o. make em hear.

1 Like

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by AfroBlue(m): 4:41pm On Jan 13, 2013
[b]Culled From S. Reporters

How To Become Easily Rich In Nigeria- All You Need Is About 2 Years!
Posted: January 12, 2013 - 16:01

You really not need to be smart or savvy to make money in Nigeria, you really not need to keep sending those annoying 419 letters or open up profiles on dating sites trying to scam unsuspecting soul mate searchers, what you have to do rather, is to open up your own Pentecostal church in Nigeria.

*We have the population,160 million people you can weekly extort money from( let's be conservative with the number).

*There is no legislation or a Government agency like charity commission that regulate what you do, you are simply the boss. To even jazz it more, if you know the current CAN President, Pastor Ayo and you often go to the mountain to conduct fasting prayers and offer imaginary sign and wonders, you may be lucky to have access to the anointed one in Aso Villa. You may well as well be on their payroll where you will be invited to join other prayer warriors who are mandated to pray regularly for our President. As we have now come to know, leadership in Nigeria have been outsourced to these characters and their counterpart in other imaginary religious faith and deities. That is part of the collective prize that all of us must pay whenever a misfit takes centre stage and becomes the president of this great Nation. It did not start with this current President, the only thing he has done is to make it more creative hence deceiving Nigerians is very easy, all you have to do is join Pastor Adebayo or any of the top ranking Pentecostal Prosperity Preaching "daddy's" in their Friday Night Vigil; and in the full glare of the cameras ask the church congregation to pray for you as you embark on the journey of changing our Nation. Many gullible Nigerians love to be fooled especially once you use church, Jesus, Bible, Quaran or Prophet Mohammed. Anyway Back to the script....

*Prayer warriors take note because 2015 presidential election will be the mother of all election rigging in Nigeria. A lot of our stolen monies will be shared too.

Back to the church thing,

*You can start from a mechanic workshop or under a flyover bridge, Just make your story look very bad, we have many of those.

The idea here is that during the formative stages of your would be criminal empire, you better have a very moving moonlight story that you will keep recycling to your captured souls because the gullible's among us are too many and they easily buy into such stories without knowing that it was part of the fake package. If you doubt us, please ask our friend Pastor Dr Sign Fireman or Pastor Chris Ojigbani. As Nigerians, we love dramatized stories of how our pastors started and how God called them, none of them has ever told you that they actually called themselves. Church member's never miss that part especially during their voodoo church service. Even if they are in the kitchen busy trying to make food for themselves, once the bogus pastors starts with his story of how God called him or Satan called him, come and see our people behave like they are before God himself. Many Echoes of "To God be the glory" and all manner of wild chanting fill the air.

*Name the church whatever you like and you are good to go. You can equally name it 'Facebook Church of God for all Saints', we have seen worse than that too. You need not worry about us because we have psychologically inoculated ourselves many year's back when we first took notice of how this criminality is destroying our great Nation. This has become the antithesis of what severe brainwashing is doing to our population today. Our 70's, 80's and even early 90's were not as this bad as it is today. We are dealing with a well organized crime empire worse than both Boko Haram and drug pushing combined together. In Africa too, these criminal voodoo pastors from Nigeria are fast opening up church's everywhere and making so much money. Indoctrinating / training their fellow would be pastors in other countries in Africa is better for them because you speak the language of your country while they provide you the platform using their already established brand. You have to think deep but also have a serious analytical skills to understand why we have labeled these so called church set ups worse than Boko Haram and drug pushing combined together. If you want to brainwash a nation or people, all you have to do is starve them with no access to information and then entrap them with religion laced with deep rooted poverty. That is the story of Nigeria today and we are speaking from experience and not noise.

Do we really get that stupider to not have an iota of common sense that God handed to each and every one of us free of charge?..

Somebody wakes up from nowhere and tells you that "God said" or that "God called him"; because you are made out of greed, because of your inordinate insatiable lust to become rich in a country littered with all manners of stench, you fall like a pack of bricks to their scam, then the next thing, you loose your God given common sense approach to things which will take you years to recover under a routine psychological therapy sessions. Some of you end up loosing your marriage in the process because you have allowed a third party into your marriage which is the fake pastor called Man of God who now control your thinking.

The scripture tells us that "by their fruits ye shall know them" yet you know these fake men called God but you continue patronizing them with monies that you struggle so hard to earn. We do not give a penny to any Pentecostal church in Nigeria unless the Pastor or church is really doing God's work, we rather donate our money to good charity doing God's work. We are not sure that on the day of judgement that God will ask us how many times we went to church or mosque, rather, it will be for you and us to tell God how we impacted on people's lives here on earth, what we did to change the lives of people. When are you going to stop being deceived and seek truth or let the truth seek you out?.. Do you know this person before,the pastor, do you know his past? NO! you don't but you call him 'daddy'. Well the result is perpetual mental slavery laced with a heavy dose of hypnotism and heck, you become psychologically mentally entrapped, a complete zombie if you may like. Your thoughts process and mindset are at the mercies of most of these voodoo Pentecostal pastors. Their fellow imams are not left out either, they take advantage of the vulnerable who are simply loyal to them, because most of them are poor, they are fed with tuwo shinkafa( Mashed Rice) by most of these stark illiterates called imams who teach their flock nothing else other than distorted words of our holy prophet, may peace be unto him. Some of these imams preach violence, no wonder our North is littered with terrorists.

Now that you know how to make money in Nigeria, are you going to be part of sanitizing this money making industry to protect the image of Nigeria or would you love to join the bandwagon of enslaving of Nigerians?. You make that call yourself...
[/b]

1 Like

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by Yooguyz: 5:07pm On Jan 13, 2013
@op what do you take the church for? A government organisation?

1 Like

Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by Wittysmith(m): 5:24pm On Jan 13, 2013
Timely counsel for Nigerian pastors and churches.
Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by Leofric(m): 5:46pm On Jan 13, 2013
There comes a time when you
have to choose between turning
the page or closing the book. ♥
Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by TableLeg(m): 5:48pm On Jan 13, 2013
undecided undecided
Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by free2ryhme: 7:19pm On Jan 13, 2013
so much has bin said here ...well done
Re: 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You by GospelRapper(m): 7:57pm On Jan 13, 2013
May God have mercy on your ignorance...You knw notin about spiritual issues! May God grant you revelation!

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Grace? / Happy Father's Day To All Roman Catholic Church Fathers / Similarities Between Islam And Catholicism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.