Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,487 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English (54421 Views)

Story: Common Mistakes Ladies Make In A Relationship / Top Ten Grammatical Blunders Made By Patience Jonathan. / "all Protocol Duly Observed": Grammatical Blunder! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by boborosky(m): 10:13am On Jan 13, 2013
These are some errors we make in our everyday english language. Post those u knw.
Napkin(babies) instead of nappy.
Plate number. instead of number plate.
Driving licence. instead of driver's licence.
Barbash.instead of, balderdash (nonsense).
Packer. instead of, dustpan.
Infidel (for an unfaithful partner) is wrong. Though unfaithfulness = infidelity.
Contact a disease. instead of, contract a disease.
Eye/sun glass. instead of, eye/sun glasses.
More grease 2 ur elbow. Instead of, more power 2 ur elbow.
Low current. instead of, low voltage.
Half bread is better dan none. instead of, half a loaf is better dan no bread.
I am coming (when going out or away). Instead of, i will b back.
I am hearing u. Instead of , i can hear u. The same applies to 'see'.
He/she is my baby (babies). Instead of , it is my baby. Pronoun for baby is 'it'.
she delivered a baby boy. Instead of, she was delivered of a baby boy.
Open d floor (occasions) instead of declare d floor open.
Running nose. Instead of, runny nose.
Raining season. Instead of, rainy season.
Alright. Instead of, all right

44 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 10:56am On Jan 13, 2013
the only grammar that matters to me is MONEY ! if my customers don't understand the way i speak it I will demonstrate it for them. cool
by the way, deaf & dumb people don't know about those errors but they still live happily.

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by REMMEI(m): 11:13am On Jan 13, 2013
Thanks op..looking forward to reading "commom grammatical errors we make in our everyday IGBO,HAUSA,YORUBA"..

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Coldfaya(m): 11:43am On Jan 13, 2013
*subscribing* there's sure gonna b a grammatical tussle/war on dis thread even b4 it hits FP. Oya where dem 'I know engrish' ppl grin

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by boborosky(m): 8:15pm On Jan 13, 2013
@remmei. Maybe u could help us wit errors in all d languages of d world.

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Yasmeena(f): 9:55am On Jan 16, 2013
@OP nice reminders. i'm guilty of some of this errors. What's worth doing is worth doing well.. if u must speak english, speak it appropriately or resort to either ur moda tongue or d generally accepted pidgin language.. i am an advocate for a resort to our individual moda tongues, even for classroom teaching.. it makes more sense to students than english.

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by boborosky(m): 11:21am On Jan 16, 2013
@yasmeena. What u have said is true, but 2 some extent. In as much as we can understand better when we are taught in our moda tongue, we can not undermine d relevance of english lang. in our dear Nig. It is worthy 2 note dat some terms, words, ideas do not have their counterparts in anoda language. E.g what can u call computer, chemical, synergy, simile, skate, parachute etc in our various moda tongues. Imagine d level of disunity and distrust dat would hav been prevalent in 9ja if there were no single language like Eng. Lang. Which almost everybody understands.

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by emilyone(f): 1:41pm On Jan 16, 2013
991: the only grammar that matters to me is MONEY ! if my customers don't understand the way i speak it I will demonstrate it for them. cool
by the way, deaf & dumb people don't know about those errors but they still live happily.
lwkmd!
you are such a clown! grin
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by boborosky(m): 2:23pm On Jan 16, 2013
Well said!
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by nollywood20: 4:32pm On Jan 16, 2013
boborosky: These are some errors we make in our everyday english language. Post those u knw.
Infidel (for an unfaithful partner) is wrong. Though unfaithfulness = infidelity.
He/she is my baby (babies). Instead of , it is my baby. Pronoun for baby is 'it'.

Your examples are from Nigerian Pidgin English speakers and not from educated people in Nigeria.

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by toskut(m): 4:33pm On Jan 16, 2013
Are you talking about grammatical or typo-graphical errors?
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by sagytariusTM1: 4:38pm On Jan 16, 2013
boborosky: .
Are u sure about this?

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by holyvirgin: 4:40pm On Jan 16, 2013
Yeah nice 1 op, I wish some of the mods especially mukina2 would learn from the thread.
She/he has a problem with constructing simple frontpage headlines....

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by 9icest: 4:41pm On Jan 16, 2013
boborosky: These are some errors we make in our everyday english language. Post those u knw.

Nice one bro....But ummm, there is something they call "Local English"....Nothing wrong with those mistakes we keep making....the only time you get in trouble with these sort of English is when you are writing JAMB or WAEC. Nobody ever notices this mistakes, and the few who do, dont give a rat a$s! Even, our so-called Professor Wole Shoyinka speaks "Nigerian English" when addressing Nigerians.

Get inspired, visit
www.inspired.com.ng
for your daily inspirational dose!

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 16, 2013
Saying "balance" instead of "change" when owed a debt for giving more money than the price.

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by 9icest: 4:42pm On Jan 16, 2013
Gotta print this out
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by odohemma(m): 4:43pm On Jan 16, 2013
@OP: alright = all right

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by kevoh(m): 4:43pm On Jan 16, 2013
This one pisses me off 'I have warned you severally' instead of 'I have warned you several times'
Severally can never be used in this context.

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 16, 2013
Nawa. Dis mod is a cheat o how come dis one enter front page
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by yuzedo: 4:47pm On Jan 16, 2013
Yasmeena: @OP nice reminders. i'm guilty of some of this errors. What's worth doing is worth doing well.. if u must speak english, speak it appropriately or resort to either ur moda tongue or d generally accepted pidgin language.. i am an advocate for a resort to our individual moda tongues, even for classroom teaching.. it makes more sense to students than english.
Good attitude! But change the highlighted. Plus you will find out English is very very important so reverting to vernacular might be inimical to individual and collective success. Will limit us in the global context to be quite honest.

@OP: In written English, can people learn the difference between "am" and "I'm"?? Utterly shameful, the flagrant display of ignorance of the two for people who should know better.

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Havilah93(m): 4:47pm On Jan 16, 2013
i get bored of people using 'am' for i'm....

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Afam4eva(m): 4:54pm On Jan 16, 2013
REMMEI: Thanks op..looking forward to reading "commom grammatical errors we make in our everyday IGBO,HAUSA,YORUBA"..
Nobody cares about the errors we make in our local languages. Shame indeed.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Chamber10(m): 4:56pm On Jan 16, 2013
Nice one Op. Let me drop mine:
Wrong: Birds of the same feather flock together
Right: Birds of a feather flock together

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Clefcentfelix(m): 4:58pm On Jan 16, 2013
I am going to the saloon to barb my hair instead of I am going to the salon to have my hair cut

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by IbnTimothy: 4:59pm On Jan 16, 2013
trouble de sleep, yanga go wake am instead of yanga de sleep trouble go wake am

19 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Desmog21(m): 5:02pm On Jan 16, 2013
Travelling Bag instead of Traveller's Bag

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by kpozite(m): 5:03pm On Jan 16, 2013
Nice post I cringe when I hear someone say
Cousin sister/ brother instead of just cousin
some few instead of a few
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by chinnyonwu(m): 5:12pm On Jan 16, 2013
My uncle for village only sabi speak igbo but him account de speak fluent english. Werin consign udene with barber?

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jan 16, 2013
@ OP she was delivered of a boy is also in correct.

It is, She has put to Bed.

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Geomac: 5:16pm On Jan 16, 2013
991: the only grammar that matters to me is MONEY ! if my customers don't understand the way i speak it I will demonstrate it for them. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

IFY - A Romantic Thriller / "The Place Of Rest" -Wasimi Chronicles / Online Publishing/Blogging Course And Certification

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86