Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,009 members, 7,806,936 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English (54438 Views)

Story: Common Mistakes Ladies Make In A Relationship / Top Ten Grammatical Blunders Made By Patience Jonathan. / "all Protocol Duly Observed": Grammatical Blunder! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 6:16pm On Jan 16, 2013
imperiouxx:
Americans can say "It is my baby for their kid and He/She is my dog for their pet" grin
End-time signs.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Wallie(m): 6:17pm On Jan 16, 2013
Hmmm....did you make all these up?

boborosky: These are some errors we make in our everyday english language. Post those u knw.
Napkin(babies) instead of nappy.
Plate number. instead of number plate.---- Plate number is correct!
Driving licence. instead of driver's licence. -----> Driving license is correct depending on the context.
Barbash.instead of, balderdash (nonsense).
Packer. instead of, dustpan. ------> Packer is correct.
Infidel (for an unfaithful partner) is wrong. Though unfaithfulness = infidelity. -------> Infidel is correct if referring to the partner's behavior.
Contact a disease. instead of, contract a disease.
Eye/sun glass. instead of, eye/sun glasses.
More grease 2 ur elbow. Instead of, more power 2 ur elbow. ------> More grease to your elbow is correct as is power to your elbow.
Low current. instead of, low voltage. ----------> Low current is correct as is low voltage.
Half bread is better dan none. instead of, half a loaf is better dan no bread.
I am coming (when going out or away). Instead of, i will b back. ------> I'll give you this but I think they just left out "... right back."
I am hearing u. Instead of , i can hear u. The same applies to 'see'.-----> Depends on what you're trying to convey!
He/she is my baby (babies). Instead of , it is my baby. Pronoun for baby is 'it'.----> Both are correct.
she delivered a baby boy. Instead of, she was delivered of a baby boy. -----> Both are correct. How do you know she was delivered of a baby? She could have birthed the baby herself!
Open d floor (occasions) instead of declare d floor open.
Running nose. Instead of, runny nose.
Raining season. Instead of, rainy season.
Alright. Instead of, all right ---> Portmanteau. The new form is now, "aiight". grin
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 6:21pm On Jan 16, 2013
2ru-talk:

Can we substantiate that?
"It' is used for a baby until the baby is old enough to be named.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by imperiouxx(m): 6:21pm On Jan 16, 2013
FXKing2012:
Because the British are the owners of the language thus the perfection they seek as far as their language is concerned.
When something is yours you tend to take very good care of it but when not yours you treat it anyhow. That explains why American and Australian English differs from Queens English.

Well that's a good explanation but two days ago, I almost had my roof blown off when I was telling an American friend about their English and the British English as use in Nigeria.

American friend's reply: We don't give a fucck about the British, it is you guys who the British kicked, forced their words into your mouths that get sober when you hear anything about the British and it's because they are your gods. Na so I lipsrsealed my fucck up. undecided

Americans when carried away by talk will start saying: He/She don't wanna do that. undecided And it's fine by them. O' Americans! grin

2 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by imperiouxx(m): 6:21pm On Jan 16, 2013
FXKing2012:
End-time signs.

grin
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Qualcoms(m): 6:22pm On Jan 16, 2013
boborosky: These are some errors we make in our everyday english language. Post those u knw.
Plate number. instead of number plate.
Driving licence. instead of driver's licence.
Packer. instead of, dustpan.
Infidel (for an unfaithful partner) is wrong. Though unfaithfulness = infidelity.
More grease 2 ur elbow. Instead of, more power 2 ur elbow.
Low current. instead of, low voltage.
I am coming (when going out or away). Instead of, i will b back.
I am hearing u. Instead of , i can hear u. The same applies to 'see'.
He/she is my baby (babies). Instead of , it is my baby. Pronoun for baby is 'it'.
she delivered a baby boy. Instead of, she was delivered of a baby boy.
Alright. Instead of, all right
@ Op,... 'I am hearing u'... It's wrong... Do u know what is called Gerund in English?
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Qualcoms(m): 6:25pm On Jan 16, 2013
Infidel (for an unfaithful partner) is wrong. Though unfaithfulness = infidelity.
He/she is my baby (babies). Instead of , it is my baby. Pronoun for baby is 'it'.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 6:26pm On Jan 16, 2013
imperiouxx:

Well that's a good explanation but two days ago, I almost had me roof blown off when I was telling an American friend about their English and the British English we use in Nigeria.

American friend's reply: We don't give a fucck about the British, it is you guys who the British kicked, forced their words into your mouths that get sober when you hear anything about the British and it's because they are your gods. Na so I lipsrsealed my fucck up. undecided

Americans when carried away by talk will start saying: She don't wanna do that. undecided And it's fine by them. O' Americans! grin
Americans are way too arrogant; to hell with them and their arrogance.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by controlseven: 6:27pm On Jan 16, 2013
Emeka come and 'baff', you are late to school! Dis one dey make me craze!!

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by imperiouxx(m): 6:29pm On Jan 16, 2013
FXKing2012:
Americans are way too arrogant; to hell with them and their arrogance.

grin but they make life easy with English and the British too want to use their wanna, gonna etc. Instructors (profs) too are not left behind grin

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Qualcoms(m): 6:31pm On Jan 16, 2013
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 6:42pm On Jan 16, 2013
imperiouxx:

grin but they make life easy with English and the British too want use their wanna, gonna etc. Instructors (profs) too are not left behind grin
But why change another man's language? I think it's simply disrespectful and uncalled for.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Alhasan1(m): 6:43pm On Jan 16, 2013
She is a corper. Rather one says: she is a corps member.I don't know off head how much we spent last year.Rather one uses off hand
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by PDF: 6:43pm On Jan 16, 2013
Jayses: shame to those who are busy trying to pefect the way they speak another man language , if chinese had done the same thing they won't be were they are 2day. Mtheew

Gibberish!
Chinese is d only language commonly spoken by the Chinese. The case isn't d same as Nigeria where there're a million n fifty-two different langs. Delta state alone speaks a million n fifty. So which do u actually wanna perfect?
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by pianogirl(f): 6:45pm On Jan 16, 2013
(1) "Incase of incasity" INSTEAD OF "Incase of necessity".
(2) "Off the light" INSTEAD OF "Turn/Switch off the light".
(3) "Borrow me your pen" INSTEAD OF "Lend me your pen".
(4) "Did you lost your keys" INSTEAD OF "Did you loose your keys".
These are the ones I can remember for now..More to come.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 6:50pm On Jan 16, 2013
Al-hasan:
She is a corper. Rather one says: she is a corps member.I don't know off head how much we spent last year.Rather one uses off hand
You are very wrong sir!
Corper is colloquial for corps member, so it is right.
I dont know off hand is very wrong, you say I dont know by heart.

Hope you've learned something here?
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 16, 2013
shebi V=IR, thus low voltage or current doesnt really matter. resistance is constant!

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by passion007: 6:54pm On Jan 16, 2013
FXKing2012:

...very BIG lie, in fact... a BIG FAT lie!
I hardly think so...Here you go:

referring to an animal or child of unspecified sex:
she was holding the baby, cradling it and smiling into its face

Source: Oxford Online Dictionary.

Even then, I wouldn't refer to a child using that personal pronoun...it's degrading.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by PDF: 7:00pm On Jan 16, 2013
piano_girl: (1) "Incase of incasity" INSTEAD OF "Incase of necessity".

Anoda mistake displayed here. 'Loose' in place of 'lose' is as common as advice(noun) for advise(verb) and/or vice versa.

Btw, here's another one. 'You can't eat ur cake n have it' shld be 'You can't av ur cake and eat it'.

Ds can easily be confirmed from an oxford dictionary.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by switchmax8: 7:10pm On Jan 16, 2013
Driving licence. instead of driver's licence. they are both correct one is british pronounciation while the other is american both acceptable
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by switchmax8: 7:11pm On Jan 16, 2013
Infidel (for an unfaithful partner) is wrong. Though unfaithfulness = infidelity. Infidel is use in context of religion bigots
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by amarral: 7:27pm On Jan 16, 2013
U hav also made urs, napkin is correct spelling, even alright is a correct spelling. Do well to consult ur dictionary.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by swaggie(m): 7:33pm On Jan 16, 2013
Here are some other errors people make:
1. I want to bafff(bath). (Instead of "i want to have a bath"wink.

2. I want to barb my hair. (Instead of "i want to get a haircut"wink.

3. People say "saloon" instead of "salon".
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by kennybelle: 7:38pm On Jan 16, 2013
991: the only grammar that matters to me is MONEY ! if my customers don't understand the way i speak it I will demonstrate it for them. cool
by the way, deaf & dumb people don't know about those errors but they still live happily.
nevertheless,it‘s still a good thing 2b fluent in english cos pple always mind ur errors nt ur fluency. I think it also commands respect,ayam learning!
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by mrBlunt(m): 7:39pm On Jan 16, 2013
Clefcentfelix: I am going to the saloon to barb my hair instead of I am going to the salon to cut my hair

kai! Serious gbagaun upon gbagaun! The correct expression is, ' I AM GOING TO THE BARBER'S SHOP TO HAVE MY HAIR CUT'.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nonybb: 7:39pm On Jan 16, 2013
some of wat i saw here is the worst write-up i have come in contact with since i was delivered from my mother's womb! Judging frm wat i have seen, some genuine grammar the Op refuted in the article was shameful and provocating. Some grammar was right and his correction of some of them was uncalled for
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Drpain: 7:44pm On Jan 16, 2013
@post, for ur mind dem b errors bt 4 odas na beta grammer.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by kennybelle: 7:45pm On Jan 16, 2013
FXKing2012:
End-time signs.
lolsgrin
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Alfy2: 7:53pm On Jan 16, 2013
Nigerians annoyingly say:

"I won't BULGE" instead of "I won't budge"
"It doesn't worth it" instead of "It's not worth it"
"I cannot be able..."
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by mrBlunt(m): 7:56pm On Jan 16, 2013

Damn it! It is DID YOU LOSE YOUR KEY, NOT 'LOOSE'. OKAY?
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by mrBlunt(m): 7:56pm On Jan 16, 2013

Damn it! It is DID YOU LOSE YOUR KEY, NOT 'LOOSE' PLEASE!
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Emmy3(m): 7:59pm On Jan 16, 2013
Low current is correct.
Didn't your teacher teach you Ohm's Law?
V=IR
V -> voltage
I -> current
R-> resistance
the voltage is low as a result of low current.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

IFY - A Romantic Thriller / "The Place Of Rest" -Wasimi Chronicles / Shadows Of The Green Part Two

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.