Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English (54444 Views)

Story: Common Mistakes Ladies Make In A Relationship / Top Ten Grammatical Blunders Made By Patience Jonathan. / "all Protocol Duly Observed": Grammatical Blunder! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 17, 2013
Borrow me £20. Instead of: Lend me £20.
Wear your dress. Instead of: Put on your dress.
I leave in Houston. Instead of: I live in Houston.
Trafficator. Instead of: Traffic indicator.
Good on bed. Instead of: Good in bed.
Leather sit. Instead of: Leather seat.
Break pad. Instead of: Brake pad.
Jarbox. Instead of: Gearbox.
On the wheel. Instead of: Behind the wheel.
On a high speed. Instead of: At high speed.
When I match the break. Instead of: When I press the brake pedal.
I pack my car for one month. Instead of: I parked my car for a month.
Talk on phone. Instead of: Talk on the phone.
Mary is not on sit. Instead of: Mary is not available.
My fan belt cut yesterday. Instead of: My fan belt snapped yesterday.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 11:34am On Jan 17, 2013
Another common error is when the wrong word is used in any given context. For example:

"The accident was very fatal, but thank God, no live was lost."

Now fatality in this context is referring to loss of life. Which in this instance is incorrect. And it would be "life", not "live".
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by adeblow(m): 12:12pm On Jan 17, 2013
Cut your clothes according to your size; instead of cut your coat according to your cloth.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by adeblow(m): 12:13pm On Jan 17, 2013
Cut your coat according to your size; instead of cut your coat according to your cloth.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by boborosky(m): 12:24pm On Jan 17, 2013
Siena: Another common error is when the wrong word is used in any given context. For example:

"The accident was very fatal, but thank God, no live was lost."

Now fatality in this context is referring to loss of life. Which in this instance is incorrect. And it would be "life", not "live".
very correct.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by boborosky(m): 12:36pm On Jan 17, 2013
Nonybb: some of wat i saw here is the worst write-up i have come in contact with since i was delivered from my mother's womb! Judging frm wat i have seen, some genuine grammar the Op refuted in the article was shameful and provocating. Some grammar was right and his correction of some of them was uncalled for
u need to study harddddd!

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by omorsexie(f): 12:41pm On Jan 17, 2013
Siena: Borrow me £20. Instead of: Lend me £20.
Wear your dress. Instead of: Put on your dress.
I leave in Houston. Instead of: I live in Houston.
Trafficator. Instead of: Traffic indicator.
Good on bed. Instead of: Good in bed.
Leather sit. Instead of: Leather seat.
Break pad. Instead of: Brake pad.
Jarbox. Instead of: Gearbox.
On the wheel. Instead of: Behind the wheel.
On a high speed. Instead of: At high speed.
When I match the break. Instead of: When I press the brake pedal.
I pack my car for one month. Instead of: I parked my car for a month.
Talk on phone. Instead of: Talk on the phone.
Mary is not on sit. Instead of: Mary is not available.
My fan belt cut yesterday. Instead of: My fan belt snapped yesterday.
you "borrow" money "from" someone buh someone "lends" money "to" you. Borrow is to "from" as lend is to "to". Borrow and lend are correct
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Martmore: 1:12pm On Jan 17, 2013
Nwantakiri a di stubborn instead of nwantakiri a n'eme isi ike, changee akwa instead of gbanwe akwa, nwam no na university instead of nwam no na mahadum, achorom inyu milk instead of achorom inyu mmiri ara ehi.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jan 17, 2013
omorsexie: you "borrow" money "from" someone buh someone "lends" money "to" you. Borrow is to "from" as lend is to "to". Borrow and lend are correct

This is why some folk never learn. Both "Borrow" and "Lend" are correct terms, but NOT in the same context. I can't see why this is even in dispute.

You "borrow" money from someone. Not "lend" money from someone.
You "lend" someone money. Not "borrow" someone money.

Different uses, depending on context.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by plendil: 1:31pm On Jan 17, 2013
omorsexie: you "borrow" money "from" someone buh someone "lends" money "to" you. Borrow is to "from" as lend is to "to". Borrow and lend are correct

You obviously didn't understand what he wrote. Both are indeed correct, but must be used in the proper context.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Lolaabokoku(f): 2:03pm On Jan 17, 2013
boborosky: These are some errors we make in our everyday english language. Post those u knw.
Napkin(babies) instead of nappy.
Plate number. instead of number plate.
Driving licence. instead of driver's licence.
Barbash.instead of, balderdash (nonsense).
Packer. instead of, dustpan.
Infidel (for an unfaithful partner) is wrong. Though unfaithfulness = infidelity.
Contact a disease. instead of, contract a disease.
Eye/sun glass. instead of, eye/sun glasses.
More grease 2 ur elbow. Instead of, more power 2 ur elbow.
Low current. instead of, low voltage.
Half bread is better dan none. instead of, half a loaf is better dan no bread.
I am coming (when going out or away). Instead of, i will b back.
I am hearing u. Instead of , i can hear u. The same applies to 'see'.
He/she is my baby (babies). Instead of , it is my baby. Pronoun for baby is 'it'.
she delivered a baby boy. Instead of, she was delivered of a baby boy.
Open d floor (occasions) instead of declare d floor open.
Running nose. Instead of, runny nose.
Raining season. Instead of, rainy season.
Alright. Instead of, all right
impressive!!
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jan 17, 2013
From now henceforth - wrong
Henceforth - correct
E.g........
You will be living here from now henceforth (wrong)
You will be living here henceforth (correct)

Discuss about - wrong
Discuss - correct
E.g........
We discussed about the general issues affecting Africa (wrong)
We discussed the general issues affecting Africa (correct)
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by normaljenny(m): 2:30pm On Jan 17, 2013
boborosky: These are some errors we make in our everyday english language. Post those u knw.
Napkin(babies) instead of nappy.
Plate number. instead of number plate.
Driving licence. instead of driver's licence.
Barbash.instead of, balderdash (nonsense).
Packer. instead of, dustpan.
Infidel (for an unfaithful partner) is wrong. Though unfaithfulness = infidelity.
Contact a disease. instead of, contract a disease.
Eye/sun glass. instead of, eye/sun glasses.
More grease 2 ur elbow. Instead of, more power 2 ur elbow.
Low current. instead of, low voltage.
Half bread is better dan none. instead of, half a loaf is better dan no bread.
I am coming (when going out or away). Instead of, i will b back.
I am hearing u. Instead of , i can hear u. The same applies to 'see'.
He/she is my baby (babies). Instead of , it is my baby. Pronoun for baby is 'it'.
she delivered a baby boy. Instead of, she was delivered of a baby boy.
Open d floor (occasions) instead of declare d floor open.
Running nose. Instead of, runny nose.
Raining season. Instead of, rainy season.
Alright. Instead of, all right

We be nigerians and not britons. Afterall there many britons that can't even write any thing in english. At least we dey try
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 17, 2013
normaljenny: We be nigerians and not britons. Afterall there many britons that can't even write any thing in english. At least we dey try

Not good enough. If a Brit shows ignorance with regards the correct use of English, that's no reason to follow blindly. English has been the official language in Nigeria for over 50 years.

Saying "we've tried" is simply a get-out clause. It's one thing to speak your native language, or Pidgin English. If regular English is used, it should be spoken AND written correctly.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by tomju(m): 3:16pm On Jan 17, 2013
Expantiate instead of expatiate. That is to explain in greater detail.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Lanretoye(m): 3:19pm On Jan 17, 2013
headache!!!!,una don see oyinbo dey disturb hin self becos e wan hear yoruba?.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Iykopee(m): 3:25pm On Jan 17, 2013
boborosky: you must be ignorant of correct English language. Gerund does not apply in this case. See, hear, smell, etc can not be used in progressive term. Go and study hard.

Who told you gerund doesn't apply there? Dont mislead people here.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Wallie(m): 5:05pm On Jan 17, 2013
boborosky: could you pls go back and study your dictionary and other relevant English language text books you can find. For stating that "she has delivered a baby" is correct, i think you are a learner.

Dude, I honestly can't make sense of what you wrote; your punctuations are all over the place! I'm not trying to take a dig at you but are you saying:

1. Could you please go back and study your dictionary and other relevant English language text books you can find for stating that "she has delivered a baby" is correct. I think you are a learner! (meaning I should go and read some more for incorrectly stating "she has delivered a baby"?) or

2. Could you please go back and study your dictionary and other relevant English language text books you can find. For stating that "she has delivered a baby" is correct. I think you are a learner! (meaning I'm a learner for correctly stating, "she has delivered a baby"?)?

By the way, for avoidance of doubt, "she has delivered a baby" is correct.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by boborosky(m): 7:23pm On Jan 17, 2013
Iykopee:

Who told you gerund doesn't apply there? Dont mislead people here.
nAfter this explantion, I expect you to keep quite. A woman can not deliver herself of a baby. You will understand it better if you know the rigorous activities attached to delivering a baby from its mother. I do not need to explain further, just consult a good English language dictionary or an English dictionary of idioms. This might help you eradicate those bits and pieces of ignorance and babarism in you. Just an advice.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 7:46pm On Jan 17, 2013
boborosky: nAfter this explantion, I expect you to keep quite. A woman can not deliver herself of a baby. You will understand it better if you know the rigorous activities attached to delivering a baby from its mother. I do not need to explain further, just consult a good English language dictionary or an English dictionary of idioms. This might help you eradicate those bits and pieces of ignorance and babarism in you. Just an advice.
In the movie "Apocalypse", a woman delivered a baby all by herself while hiding from the invaders in the well.

We have seen cases where women delivered babies all by themselves while home alone. So it is not completely unheard of or impossible for a woman to deliver a baby all by herself.

Dude, women are stronger than they seem.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by boborosky(m): 8:03pm On Jan 17, 2013
FXKing2012:
In the movie "Apocalypse", a woman delivered a baby all by herself while hiding from the invaders in the well.

We have seen cases where women delivered babies all by themselves while home alone. So it is not completely unheard of or impossible for a woman to deliver a baby all by herself.

Dude, women are stronger than they seem.
let me teach you something. In life, nothing is devoid of exception. Besides, it was only a movie. I do not mean that weird things don't happen. They really do. Answer dis question: Is 1 1=2 in all cases? At least not in marriage. Apart from the above, the expression: delivered of a baby, has been approved by the owners of the language. You just do not have any choice but to accept it that way. Simple!

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 8:24pm On Jan 17, 2013
boborosky: let me teach you something. In life, nothing is devoid of exception. Besides, it was only a movie. I do not mean that weird things don't happen. They really do. Answer dis question: Is 1 1=2 in all cases? At least not in marriage. Apart from the above, the expression: delivered of a baby, has been approved by the owners of the language. You just do not have any choice but to accept it that way. Simple!
And let me teach you something else, the context in which a term is used is what really determines whether it is right or wrong.
You dont just throw terms around as if they are universally right.

Hope you've learned something simple.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by boborosky(m): 9:11pm On Jan 17, 2013
FXKing2012:
And let me teach you something else, the context in which a term is used is what really determines whether it is right or wrong.
You dont just throw terms around as if they are universally right.

Hope you've learned something simple.
a smart person should be able to know what context i meant.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 9:57pm On Jan 17, 2013
boborosky: a smart person should be able to know what context i meant.
Point is it is possible for a woman to be "delivered of a baby" or "deliver a baby" depending on the context (or what actually happened).
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by boborosky(m): 10:14pm On Jan 17, 2013
FXKing2012:
Point is it is possible for a woman to be "delivered of a baby" or "deliver a baby" depending on the context (or what actually happened).
with regards to child birth "delivered of a baby" is d correct statement. Check your dictionary, and i bet you wouldn't stick to your point.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by FXKing2012(m): 10:21pm On Jan 17, 2013
boborosky: with regards to child birth "delivered of a baby" is d correct statement. Check your dictionary, and i bet you wouldn't stick to your point.
That is only becos it is extremely rare for a lady to deliver a baby by herself. But that is not to say it is impossible, so the right term must be used based on what really happened.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by LordReed(m): 10:27pm On Jan 17, 2013
Siena: Trafficator. Instead of: Traffic indicator.

Trafficator may be correct. Trafficators are an obsolete car tech which did the same thing modern vehicle turn signals do now so the substitution may be allowed.

Besides I am not comfortable with "traffic indicator" I'd rather use "turn signals".
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by LordReed(m): 10:35pm On Jan 17, 2013
Em-my:

voltage is dependent on the current
Voltage is the result not the cause
and current is the cause not the result.

The simplest way to resolve this is to look at a power stablizer. What does it regulate? It regulates the voltage not the current.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by LordReed(m): 11:05pm On Jan 17, 2013
olaheavy: And I cringe when I hear folks say 'each other' instead of 'one another' when referring to more than two persons. Also, I feel like kicking some dullards' behind when I see: 'its' instead of it's. 'cant' instead of can't. 'dont' instead of don't . 'what of' instead of what about.

Before you start kicking anyone or calling folk dullards you should consider this excerpt from Merriam-Webster:

each other pronoun
Definition of EACH OTHER
: each of two or more in reciprocal action or relation
<looked at each other in surprise>
See each other defined for English-language
learners »
See each other defined for kids »
Usage Discussion of EACH OTHER
Some handbooks and textbooks recommend that
each other be restricted to reference to two and one
another to reference to three or more. The
distinction, while neat, is not observed in actual
usage. Each other and one another are used
interchangeably by good writers and have been
since at least the 16th century.

Secondly, "its" is correct when used in proper context. "Its" is similar to the pronouns his or her.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Amendo: 11:46am On Jan 18, 2013
good thinking, good effort, however some of the errors have been treated by lecturers in relevant English courses.keep-up the good work
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by nlofficial(m): 4:58pm On Jan 18, 2013
Siena: Trafficator. Instead of: Traffic indicator.

Trafficator is correct.

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jan 18, 2013
sagytarius™:

Are u sure about this?
While this may seem untrue I think there is an element of truth in it; reason bcoz, it's not easy to differentiate a male baby from a female one especially from afar since they do not have a visible physical characteristics except on a closer look. The photo of my younger sis when she was 2 is often regarded as a male photo becoz she looked like one. So as a speaker/owner of a baby I think it's right to simply say, ''it's my baby'' to save a curious audience the stress of having to doubt whether or not you're telling the truth of your baby's sex since to him/her the child is either a male or female. I've also heard them say on movies, ''It's my baby'' instead of he/she is... As the poster of the thread acknowledged. The only time one could say ''he/she is my baby is when the child has actually grown past ''babyhood'' then those physical x-terics becomes visible, e.g the female wears ear ring, plaits hair etc. While for the male is the opposite. I hope this will help?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

IFY - A Romantic Thriller / "The Place Of Rest" -Wasimi Chronicles / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.