Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,667 members, 7,801,927 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:08 AM

Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English (54420 Views)

Story: Common Mistakes Ladies Make In A Relationship / Top Ten Grammatical Blunders Made By Patience Jonathan. / "all Protocol Duly Observed": Grammatical Blunder! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 18, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Before you start kicking anyone or calling folk dullards you should consider this excerpt from Merriam-Webster:

each other pronoun
Definition of EACH OTHER
: each of two or more in reciprocal action or relation
<looked at each other in surprise>
See each other defined for English-language
learners »
See each other defined for kids »
Usage Discussion of EACH OTHER
Some handbooks and textbooks recommend that
each other be restricted to reference to two and one
another to reference to three or more. The
distinction, while neat, is not observed in actual
usage. Each other and one another are used
interchangeably by good writers and have been
since at least the 16th century.

Secondly, "its" is correct when used in proper context. "Its" is similar to the pronouns his or her.
Absolutely correct brother! The dude probably didn't know that...'it's' as in 'it is' or 'it has' while 'its' is a pronoun as u rightly said. Thanks man!
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by boborosky(m): 12:59pm On Jan 19, 2013
onyejiokem: While this may seem untrue I think there is an element of truth in it; reason bcoz, it's not easy to differentiate a male baby from a female one especially from afar since they do not have a visible physical characteristics except on a closer look. The photo of my younger sis when she was 2 is often regarded as a male photo becoz she looked like one. So as a speaker/owner of a baby I think it's right to simply say, ''it's my baby'' to save a curious audience the stress of having to doubt whether or not you're telling the truth of your baby's sex since to him/her the child is either a male or female. I've also heard them say on movies, ''It's my baby'' instead of he/she is... As the poster of the thread acknowledged. The only time one could say ''he/she is my baby is when the child has actually grown past ''babyhood'' then those physical x-terics becomes visible, e.g the female wears ear ring, plaits hair etc. While for the male is the opposite. I hope this will help?
onyejiokem: While this may seem untrue I think there is an element of truth in it; reason bcoz, it's not easy to differentiate a male baby from a female one especially from afar since they do not have a visible physical characteristics except on a closer look. The photo of my younger sis when she was 2 is often regarded as a male photo becoz she looked like one. So as a speaker/owner of a baby I think it's right to simply say, ''it's my baby'' to save a curious audience the stress of having to doubt whether or not you're telling the truth of your baby's sex since to him/her the child is either a male or female. I've also heard them say on movies, ''It's my baby'' instead of he/she is... As the poster of the thread acknowledged. The only time one could say ''he/she is my baby is when the child has actually grown past ''babyhood'' then those physical x-terics becomes visible, e.g the female wears ear ring, plaits hair etc. While for the male is the opposite. I hope this will help?
very good explanation bro.
Re: Common Grammatical Errors We Make In Our Everyday English by neelus: 11:53am On Mar 20, 2013
I have completed my graduation.I can manage reading and writing English but cannot speak English well.I have started learning English with videos http://youtu.be/4oceDC_w6uY

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

IFY - A Romantic Thriller / "The Place Of Rest" -Wasimi Chronicles / Online Publishing/Blogging Course And Certification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.