Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,186 members, 7,780,294 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:50 AM

Wife-beating: "My Husband Said It's Okay, He Told Me The Koran Says It's Okay" - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Wife-beating: "My Husband Said It's Okay, He Told Me The Koran Says It's Okay" (1090 Views)

RE What Does The Koran Says About Jesus And The Bible / Does The Koran Really Encourage Faithful Moslems To Kill Christians? / Sharing your dreams - is it okay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wife-beating: "My Husband Said It's Okay, He Told Me The Koran Says It's Okay" by VladimirLenin: 4:30am On Jan 14, 2013
Wife-beating: "My husband said it's okay, he told me the Koran says it's okay"
The Change This campaign is an initiative of a Muslim women's charity that claims that Muslim men who think that the Koran allows them to beat their wives are "manipulating" the real teachings of Islam, which they think forbids wife-beating.

I am all for a campaign to persuade Muslim men not to beat their wives. But here we come up to the perennial problem: denying that the texts of the Koran and Hadith regarding wife-beating say what they clearly say is not reform; it is just deception. It may play well with non-Muslims who don't know what those texts say, but it won't convince any wife-beating Muslim husband to stop beating his wife: he knows that "the Koran says it's okay."

The infamous wife-beating verse:

Men are the managers of the affairs of women for that God has preferred in bounty one of them over another, and for that they have expended of their property. Righteous women are therefore obedient, guarding the secret for God's guarding. And those you fear may be rebellious admonish; banish them to their couches, and beat them. If they then obey you, look not for any way against them; God is All-high, All-great. Koran 4:34)
This is, of course, an extremely controversial verse, so it is worth noting how several translators render the key part of this verse, وَاضْرِبُوهُنَّ, waidriboohunna.

Pickthall: “and scourge them”
Yusuf Ali: “(And last) beat them (lightly)”
Al-Hilali/Khan: “(and last) beat them (lightly, if it is useful)”
Shakir: “and beat them”
Sher Ali: “and chastise them”
Khalifa: “then you may (as a last alternative) beat them”
Arberry: “and beat them”
Rodwell: “and scourge them”
Sale: “and chastise them”
Daryabadi: "and beat them"
Asad: “then beat them”
Dawood: "and beat them"

Laleh Bakhtiar, in a recent translation that has received wide publicity, translates it as “go away from them.” In light of this unanimity among the translators, both Muslim and non-Muslim, this seems difficult to sustain – all of these authorities got the passage wrong until Bakhtiar? But her impulse is understandable, as many Muslims today regard this verse with acute embarrassment. Muhammad Asad adduces numerous traditions in which Muhammad “forbade the beating of any woman,” concluding that wife-beating is “barely permissible, and should preferably be avoided.”

Unfortunately, however, this is not a unanimous view. The Qur'an commentary Ruhul Ma’ani gives four reasons that a man may beat his wife: “if she refuses to beautify herself for him,” if she refuses sex when he asks for it, if she refuses to pray or perform ritual ablutions, and “if she goes out of the house without a valid excuse.” Also, Muhammad’s example is normative for Muslims, since he is an “excellent example of conduct” (Koran 33:21) – and Aisha reports that Muhammad struck her. Once he went out at night after he thought she was asleep, and she followed him surreptitiously. Muhammad saw her, and, as Aisha recounts: “He struck me on the chest which caused me pain, and then said: Did you think that Allah and His Apostle would deal unjustly with you?” (Sahih Muslim 2127)

Aisha herself said it: “I have not seen any woman suffering as much as the believing women.” (Sahih Bukhari 7.72.715)

"Domestic violence campaign targets Scottish Muslims," by Catrin Nye for the BBC, January 12 (thanks to Halal Pork Shop):

A new campaign asking Muslim men and women to speak out against domestic violence is being launched in Scotland.
The Change This campaign wants people to report any violence they have seen or experienced.

Muslim women's charity Amina will use Islamic teachings and an Imam to challenge the misconception that Islam allows violence against women.

The charity said it was aware of many cases where people used their religion in an attempt to justify violence.

As part of the campaign, it will be going out and speaking to men and women about the issue.

Smina Akhtar, from Amina, said she had been shocked by the way people had manipulated the teachings of Islam.

She said: "We have women coming in, phoning our helpline, time and time again and saying: 'My husband said it's okay, he told me the Koran says it's okay'.

"We're quite surprised that Muslim women are often not educated, even in Islam, because Islam does not condone violence."

She added: "We'll use certain Hadiths (the stories of the words and deeds of the Prophet Muhammad, handed down by word of mouth) - for example when the Prophet, peace be upon him, says: 'The best among you is the one who is the best towards his wife'.

"We'll use these and phrases within the Koran to say no - actually the Koran does not say that it's okay for your husband to hit you."...

Source
Re: Wife-beating: "My Husband Said It's Okay, He Told Me The Koran Says It's Okay" by vallycan: 5:30am On Jan 14, 2013
Rubbish! Dis is an absolute ignorant, a man beating his wife or keepin her for his mike tyson lesson "punchin bag" an claimin it's a religious thing as it's written dat it's okay,dis sort or such act is nt ryte: it's a phycholactic men dat beat dier wife(wieves)

1 Like

Re: Wife-beating: "My Husband Said It's Okay, He Told Me The Koran Says It's Okay" by martyns303(m): 6:00am On Jan 14, 2013
Certain things in life are instinctive, that is you don't need someone to tell you, it just comes naturally to you. Paul put it right when he said, "Doesn't nature itself tell you these things are wrong?" You don't need a book to tell you beating ur wife, stealing or taking another human's life is wrong, except u've lost ur instinct as a human.

2 Likes

Re: Wife-beating: "My Husband Said It's Okay, He Told Me The Koran Says It's Okay" by BetaThings: 11:33pm On Jan 19, 2013
martyns303: Certain things in life are instinctive, that is you don't need someone to tell you, it just comes naturally to you. Paul put it right when he said, "Doesn't nature itself tell you these things are wrong?" You don't need a book to tell you beating ur wife, stealing or taking another human's life is wrong, except u've lost ur instinct as a human.
So why does Paul stop women from talking in the Church
Why can they not ask questions and have to wait to get home to ask their husbands?
Re: Wife-beating: "My Husband Said It's Okay, He Told Me The Koran Says It's Okay" by BetaThings: 12:26am On Jan 20, 2013
pDude: These Islamic teachings sef angry

Sounds like a drunk and conceited ediot gathered to himself scribes, and ordered them to write everything that came into his addled mind.

And these make sense to you?

(Psalm 78:65) Then the Lord awoke as from sleep, like a strong man shouting because of wine

(Exodus 33:20) – “But He [God] said, "You cannot see My face, for no man can see Me and live !"
(Exodus 24:9-11) – “Then Moses went up with Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel, 10and they saw the God of Israel; and under His feet there appeared to be a pavement of sapphire, as clear as the sky itself. 11Yet He did not stretch out His hand against the nobles of the sons of Israel; and they saw God, and they ate and drank.”

(Exodus 31:17) It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

(Deuteronomy 24:16) Parents are not to be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their parents; each will die for their own sin

(1 John 2:2) “[Jesus] is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.”

(Samuel 2:22 7:9) n my distress I called to the Lord; I called out to my God. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came to his ears. The earth trembled and quaked, the foundations of the heavens shook; they trembled because he was angry. Smoke rose from his nostrils; consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it

(Genesis 32:22-31) Jacob wrestles with God
That night Jacob got up and took his two wives, his two female servants and his eleven sons and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. After he had sent them across the stream, he sent over all his possessions. So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob’s hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. Then the man said, “Let me go, for it is daybreak.”
But Jacob replied, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.”
The man asked him, “What is your name?”
“Jacob,” he answered.
Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”

(Genesis 3:8-9) Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Solar/lunar Eclipses In Islam (prophet Teaching) / Can Muslims Prove That The Koran Was A Result Of Inspiration? / What A Professor Of Theology Thinks About The Islamic Religion.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.