Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,991 members, 7,806,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Old-Boy Tales: How I Was Saved By An Old Boy! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Old-Boy Tales: How I Was Saved By An Old Boy! (663 Views)

How I Was Assaulted By My Lebanese Boss Yesterday Morning / I Want To Sack My Employee I Was Crushing On. / ‘I Was 18 When I Started Driving A Truck’ – Female Driver (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Old-Boy Tales: How I Was Saved By An Old Boy! by TonyEben(m): 6:13am On Jan 14, 2013
During the Nigerian Civil War!
It was one very rainy day in August 1969. We were preparing to advance to capture Umuahia, which was a still a Biafran stronghold. Our Brigade Major
ordered me and my crew to take our saladin tank and conduct a minor reconnasance mission before the advance.
After moving some kms ahead of our lines, our tank got bogged down by the mud and we got stuck. We radioed our situation but were told we could not get support until the next day so we were to sit tight and watch our backs. Then,out of the blue, we saw enemy soldiers screaming at us and shouting to surrender. There must have numbered up to 20. We did not stand a chance (we were 3!) so we laid down our arms. They immediately relieved us of our uniforms,boots and weapons leaving us with only our underwear. We were then handcuffed and told to march to their base.
After some hours, we finally got to their base. I was tired,angry and confused as to what would be our fates. Just as I was wondering what would be with my life, I spotted some who
looked very familiar. 'That is 300 Chima Udensi of Enugu house' (my house as well) I thought to myself. He had his rank on his shoulders which meant he was an officer in the Biafran army. I
wondered what would happen if he saw me. For some absurd reason, it didnt occur to me to call his name.
Later at night (we had been blindfolded), someone came,
grabbed and started leading me to somewhere. I started protesting but was given a heavy blow on my mouth which promptly shut me up. I could hear the person pulling me speaking Ibo to his comrades as he led me away. I was so scared! When we got somwhere, the person leading me suddenly said '268 Anjikwi Mwalima' (that is how we called ourselves, number and
name). I immediatly replied '300 Chima Udensi'. He loosed the roles and promptly hugged me. He then went on to say he was a captain (which was funny considering he couldnt have been
more than 21) and that that was his coy. We actually starting chatting abt NMS anf reliving our past times there.
After abt 15 mins he said 'anjikwi,they are going to execute your crew tomorrow. There was no way I was going to just sit and watched you killed. I lied to them that I hated your face and wanted to kill you thats how I was able to get you here'. I asked abt my crew but he said nothing could be done for them. He now removed a piece of bread, gave me and pointed towards the direction of the Nigerian lines. I stated crying, thanking him but he just said "Make sure you dont get
killed". And like that he was gone. I managed and got back to my lines, telling them I had escaped alone without the rest. Some days later we passed the two dead bodies of my crew. It was a poignant moment for me. I did not see Chima again until 2004 in Kaduna inside a bank. I recognised him instantly despite all the years passed (you dont forget the face of a man who saved your life) and shouted "300 Chima Udensi!". He looked at obviously suprised someone had identified him like that. He did not recognise me so I identifed myself. He immediately hugged me so tightly that we actually fell on the floor. We both cried.He then said that he had been told that the POW who had allegedly escaped(me) had been killed so he thought I didnt make it.
Everyone was just looking weirdly at us, but they could not undersatnad what we had gone
through.[b][/b]

2 Likes

Re: Old-Boy Tales: How I Was Saved By An Old Boy! by Nobody: 6:54am On Jan 14, 2013
Pure Joy
Re: Old-Boy Tales: How I Was Saved By An Old Boy! by Adufaye(m): 7:10am On Jan 14, 2013
is dis a real story
Re: Old-Boy Tales: How I Was Saved By An Old Boy! by TonyEben(m): 9:51am On Jan 14, 2013
Adufaye: is dis a real story
why not?
Re: Old-Boy Tales: How I Was Saved By An Old Boy! by magicbrain(m): 6:05pm On Jan 14, 2013
FRONT PAGE _PLS...this is soooo touching.....I was almost crying!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10 Hard Way To Make It In Life / Hope Dis Is Not Madness, Another Degree / Law Shud Learn From Accounting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.