Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,915 members, 7,806,661 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

Yahoo Design Patterns For Web Design - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Yahoo Design Patterns For Web Design (1301 Views)

Brand Developer Wanted For Web Interface Redesign / For Web Designers And Web Developers Only! / Using Patterns in Website design (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yahoo Design Patterns For Web Design by my2cents(m): 4:31pm On Apr 28, 2006
Every now and then, on nairaland, we encounter a request of the "review this site" type. For the most part, I always give the same pointers. In my personal experience, I have always relied on web resources for my information. One of such places is the yahoo design pattern library - a resource that identifies best-case scenarios for your designs.

For those of you who are unaware of the site, check it out at http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns/index.php and conform as much as possible to these best practices as opposed to getting pretty much the same answers from the same pple on the same issues smiley

Enjoy!!
Re: Yahoo Design Patterns For Web Design by Zahymaka(m): 5:45pm On Apr 28, 2006
Hmm -- my2cents, can you remember we had a discussion about standards and all that once?

I think every developer should have his own design standards. In creating yours, it would be nice to review that f various proven devloper communities. I have reviewed Yahoo, Google, Microsoft, etc etc and picked things I thought were best about their patterns.

That way, I feel a sense of pride in knowing that I have Design Patterns that were created by me -- it's easier tow ork that way. That's my two cents wink wink
Re: Yahoo Design Patterns For Web Design by my2cents(m): 6:57pm On Apr 28, 2006
Weell,

It depends. In the real world, we are advised to live by 2, similar concepts - DRY and DITY: Don't Repeat Yourself and Don't Re-invent The Wheel, respectively.

So while coming up with you own designs is cool, if someone else already took the time to do it, why bother doing yours. Again, as I said it depends. Honestly though, I haven't written anything orginal in about at least 1 year grin
Re: Yahoo Design Patterns For Web Design by Zahymaka(m): 7:03pm On Apr 28, 2006
So the people that change design patterns nko? Why don't Microsoft, Oracle, Yahoo, Google etc use the same patterns?

I don't know -- but using something I'm comfortable with is my own preference -- and that's my two cents.

Is this plagiarism? grin grin
Re: Yahoo Design Patterns For Web Design by my2cents(m): 7:10pm On Apr 28, 2006
Again,

These are patterns that they recommend you follow and use, not a decree, punishable by death squad cheesy

In the end, there are many ways to skin a cat,
Re: Yahoo Design Patterns For Web Design by Zahymaka(m): 7:46pm On Apr 28, 2006
prodgalson, thanks for the lecture, but my2cents understands me perfectly. I'm not talking of visual stuff here -- I'm talking of code as you are.
Re: Yahoo Design Patterns For Web Design by Seun(m): 8:07pm On Apr 28, 2006
ignore prodgalson. He has an agenda that's not straightforward.
Re: Yahoo Design Patterns For Web Design by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:18am On Apr 29, 2006
I must put in my remaining 1cent of objection,  ever since my2cents started leaning strongly on guys who did not stick to standards; i have been very uncomfortable, why,  because most of it is true and you sort of feel either angry because someone told you or guilty because you know it is true.

I started out as a VB interface developer for a stockbroking company back in 1997, I would cause the coders severe fever and hypertension by making a single interface that handled 90% of everything the application had to do, which  meant using a single button in at least 10 different context (changing its name color and position etc)

Until one barely computer-literate user called me out of frustration "Why can't it be as easy as winzip" I literally banned him from using the computer until he upgraded his skills to the level where he realised winzip is a utility, i was building applications. One day i came upon an interface I had built a year back,  I could not use it, I cursed whoever designed it and took it to the drawing board for re-design.

Right there and then i realised what my problem was, I was an artist who loved his own style and would not stick with successful design patterns that are known to work. From that point on,  I started looking at the Windows interface closely and modelled my designs after that. Voila,  users were impressed, work got done a lot quicker and things became so logical that i hardly have to do a manual to users on how to use my applications.

so the
DRY and DITY: Don't Repeat Yourself and Don't Re-invent The Wheel
is in order.
Re: Yahoo Design Patterns For Web Design by Zahymaka(m): 9:34am On Apr 29, 2006
By saying I pick things accross all spectra, I mean I look up popular design patterns and integrate them. This isn't about re-invention but integration -- simple.
Re: Yahoo Design Patterns For Web Design by my2cents(m): 2:48am On Apr 30, 2006
I have yet another acronym for you: KISS - Keep It Smart and Simple.

Note to Zahymaka: If you must respond to this, keep it +vely constructive and less "antagonistic" grin
Re: Yahoo Design Patterns For Web Design by Zahymaka(m): 3:34am On Apr 30, 2006
my2cents, I haven't been antagonistic grin grin. I was just saying that it helps to pick from many, not just Yahoo Design Patterns.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Implement Using Free Pdf Download To Capture Visitors Details / I Need To Reg. Domain Name And Space And Pay In Cash Into Account / testing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.