Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,943 members, 7,799,198 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi (5912 Views)

No English Team Can Win The Champoins League (UCL) Until 2025 / Who Rememebers This Debate? "This Team Can Be Better Than 94" - Keshi / Which European Team Can Eagles Beat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by Livermeka: 6:31pm On Jan 14, 2013
http://www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/130114/This_team_can_be_better_than_94Keshi

This team can be better than 94 - Keshi
by Emeka Onwuka in Faro, Portugal 14 January 2013, 11:56

The last time Nigeria won the African Cup of Nations was back in 1994 and they also wowed the world at the World cup same year. The team's captain was Stephen Keshi and he is now in charge of the Super Eagles at South Africa 2013

In an exclusive chat with supersport.com at the team's Faro, Portugal camp Keshi believes that the potential in this team is good enough to match that of the country's last winners of the competition.

"Many Nigerians don't know how good this team is, I see great potentials in them and they can go places". He then added with a clear glint in his eyes that "In Emenike I see a player who can be like Rashidi Yekini and Godfrey Obaobona will grow in his position".

Stephen Keshi as a Player and captain of Nigeria played in 5 tournaments reaching the finals in 3 of them. These experiences should come in handy. "Maybe I might be able to help them handle the expectations. My playing will give me the insight in how to handle the younger players - those just starting out and making their way in the national team"

In the build-up to the camping and even during it Nigerians have been quite critical, as usual and in their views on the team and the squad make up. You wonder how Keshi handles the pressure of coaching a country where millions feel they can do a better job than the man employed for it. "I just make sure I concentrate on the players and make sure they understand and buy into what we want to do. Nigeria is a place that you can never satisfy every person so we just make sure we do our best".

However, it would appear that the team is better prepared unlike previous tournaments lately, and Keshi agrees "we have had no distractions. The NFF have been very supportive and we are just focused on the job at hand"

Since that famous 1994 victory, the team then lost on penalties to Cameroon in the 2000 finals at home, Nigeria has really not come close to winning the competition again. Is there pressure from within the group on the players to win this competition? "I would not put any pressure on my players; my duty is to make them relaxed but with high concentration levels so that they can carry out the tactical plans we have during matches."

As a player Keshi exhibited high levels of patriotism when it came to playing for Nigeria but he is aware that things have changed amongst the players who play for Nigeria. "I loved the attitude of the late Rashidi Yekini when it came to playing for Nigeria - he was always the first to arrive and was willing to do anything for the National team, I loved the man" "the current players are different and it is also the fault of the media who hype players to all levels because of what they do at their clubs when they have played probably 4 or 5 matches for Nigeria. You need to have played consistently for the national team for at least 5 years before you can be called a star".

The build-up to the camp was slightly over shadowed by the absences of the likes of Martins, Odemwegie in the original list. And then later, Shola Ameobi and Danny Shittu who were, pulled out for different reasons. It has not derailed his plans Keshi says. He however admits he dearly would have loved to have Shola Ameobi in there "He would have brought a lot of good things and experience because when he played with us in Miami for the friendly against Venezuela he was a brilliant influence on the pitch and in the dressing room; encouraging the players and saying a lot of the things I would have said and I was so impressed I let him continue. So this young side could have done with that".

Tactically, the Chelsea midfielder Mikel Obi will play in his natural holding role for Nigeria but he would have license to move forward when he sees fit. The former Super Eagles captain and now coach of the team wants Nigerians "to be patient" with his team.

The players all seemed quite relaxed and a few of them were playing pool after dinner while club mates Moses and Mikel took turns to crack jokes with supersport.com on their way out.

© supersport.com

http://www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/130114/This_team_can_be_better_than_94Keshi
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by chic2pimp(m): 8:11pm On Jan 14, 2013
Absolutely no hope in hell of that ever being the case

1 Like

Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by executinal(m): 11:43am On Jan 15, 2013
Wishing you and your boys success.

1 Like

Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by infobiz9ja(m): 11:44am On Jan 15, 2013
Just passing. undecided lipsrsealed
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by Nobody: 11:44am On Jan 15, 2013
If I hear
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by semid4lyfe(m): 11:45am On Jan 15, 2013
Wetin Keshi dey smoke? grin

Player by player-position by position comparison, none of the players in these present team come close to those in the '94 team.

Who can be compared to "Yeking"? Ahmed Musa does not even come close to Finidi. . .hehehehe. Ejike Uzoenyi will never be half as good as Amuneke.

Echiejile can never be compared to Iroha etc.

Even as a team and playing together, the '94 team was so much better. . .

2 Likes

Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by allout: 11:47am On Jan 15, 2013
He's tryna motivate himself and the team! grin
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by strangest(m): 11:49am On Jan 15, 2013
@keshi its FOOTBALL not MOUTHBALL... make us proud and quit talking grin
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by fdigital(m): 11:49am On Jan 15, 2013
NFF no get time for those sweet talks. you better scold your boys to deliver, else you are receiving sack letter straight.
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by allout: 11:49am On Jan 15, 2013
semid4lyfe:
Amuneke.

Now that was one helluva player!
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by Chanchit: 11:52am On Jan 15, 2013
Thank you Keshi, if you wei dey talk no knw say na lie you dey lie, we wei u dey talk to knw say na lie.

1 Like

Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by BrutusOj(m): 11:53am On Jan 15, 2013
chic2pimp: Absolutely no hope in hell of that ever being the case
Be positive minded for once dude..when wud we Nigerians av positive mind abt our own tins?haba....Eagles go,u got our suport
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by Regiblinkz(m): 12:01pm On Jan 15, 2013
BrutusOj: Be positive minded for once dude..when wud we Nigerians av positive mind abt our own tins?haba....Eagles go,u got our suport
nigerians kill their image and reputation
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by HoneyPrincess(f): 12:04pm On Jan 15, 2013
I believe he's dreaming thing has started again, am sure he needs to take his drugs, abi he thinks we are going up against little children, he shld get ready to b surprised
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by yuzedo: 12:04pm On Jan 15, 2013
chic2pimp: Absolutely no hope in hell of that ever being the case
strangest: @keshi its FOOTBALL not MOUTHBALL... make us proud and quit talking grin
grin
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by yokiti: 12:08pm On Jan 15, 2013
One thing I like about time is that ; it will reveal what we cant see now. Mr. Keshi; time will tell.
Good luck to you and your players in pursuit ahead !
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by remola04(m): 12:10pm On Jan 15, 2013
This topic is misleading.
Reading this story, I didn't see anywhere where Keshi mentioned that the team can be better than 94 team.
The only statement that came close was just when he said Emenike can be as good as Yekini.
I'm sure Keshi knows too well than to say such a thing, 94 team was too fantastic.
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by jhydebaba(m): 12:10pm On Jan 15, 2013
Only time will tell...
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by Johnnoah1st: 12:10pm On Jan 15, 2013
Pls who is keshi? Is keshi a name?
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by badassnigga(m): 12:12pm On Jan 15, 2013
is Stephen high
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by FBS: 12:14pm On Jan 15, 2013
Very high on dried shait. grin
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by SIRCONFIDENCE(m): 12:14pm On Jan 15, 2013
When was Keshi started talking like GEJ ?. Keshi should let his output(players' performance) speaks for him.
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by HayZee06(m): 12:14pm On Jan 15, 2013
He omitted this quote. 'Mikel can be as good as Okocha' lol Mr Dreamer
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by ujukala: 12:14pm On Jan 15, 2013
We get to the bridge before we cross it.
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by hollypagan: 12:16pm On Jan 15, 2013
is he afraid to give us list
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by omiobo: 12:21pm On Jan 15, 2013
Keshi stop dat yan,I no like am. No dey take us play joor.
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jan 15, 2013
IF I HEAR grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:24pm On Jan 15, 2013
Ok. Just win the cup or nothing else.
Re: This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi by 1025: 12:30pm On Jan 15, 2013
nice dream as long as you have no maleria. take agbo because some maleria these days can be stubborn to english drugs.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are There No Black Referees In The English Premier League? / Jose Mourinho Signs As Man Utd Manager / DOWNLOAD UCL VIDEO: Real Madrid Vs Atletico Madrid 3-0 2017 Goals & Highlights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.