Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,939 members, 7,806,718 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. (19945 Views)

Remember This Vehicles Used Mostly By Police And Robbers Back Then. / Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Number Location / How To Know The Engine Size Of VW Golf 3 From The VIN Or Engine Number (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by Jucol(m): 9:39pm On Jan 15, 2013
@Egba girl: Dis no be laf matter angry angry. They travel to Europe and America, live and study there, see how things work efficiently, yet do not think about implementing some of their experiences/observations when in office?? John 11:35 cry cry cry
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by Egbagirl(f): 10:03pm On Jan 15, 2013
Jucol: @Egba girl: Dis no be laf matter angry angry. They travel to Europe and America, live and study there, see how things work efficiently, yet do not think about implementing some of their experiences/observations when in office?? John 11:35 cry cry cry

I dey follow you vex and cry my broda. E no good true true but how we go come do am? It is rather unfortunate that they do not learning minds. They are not interested in our welfare and development. Na only their own dem dey think. It's really sad with all the "exposure" they have. smh.
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by pekelepekele(m): 10:03pm On Jan 15, 2013
@ sienna nah ITK go kill you . say amen cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by CVHP: 10:07pm On Jan 15, 2013
Jucol: A good look at most discussions on this forum shows that most of us know very little about the cars we have spent so much to buy. This is because the Licensing Authorities do not request for and or provide the essential technical details of a vehicle during registration.

When a motorist in Nigeria is stopped for Police check, very often you see the Policeman/men peeping, cleaning and almost tearing apart the engine in search for the ENGINE NUMBER. This sometimes happens even at night. Some Policemen do have a piece of chalk. Should the engine number be used as identification How did the Licensing Authorities come about this? Did they learn this from USA,UK, Germany, Japan or France??

The CHASSIS NUMBER(VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER -VIN) is very clearly written on the chassis and also easily accessible. Chassis No.is universally used for vehicle identification. And no two vehicles have the same chassis no.

The engine is simply a part of the vehicle. It can be changed as at any moment just like the seats or wheels. It has become common practice to obtain a POLICE REPORT or something like that when the engine is changed. Why do the Police not ask for a proof of change of colour.

Most of our leaders do travel abroad. Don't they look around and learn?

On my vehicle registration paper ( smaller than a folded A4 sheet) the following TECHNICAL information are available:
NAME OF OWNER
MAKE OF VEHICLE
MODEL
YEAR OF MANUFACTURE
DATE OF REGISTRATION
CHASSIS NUMBER
REGISTRATION NUMBER
TYPE OF ENGINE
TYPE OF FUEL: DIESEL OR PETROL
CAPACITY OF ENGINE IN KILOWATTS/HORSE POWER
STANDARD TYRE DIMENSIONS
LICENSING AUTHORITY

Registration papers in Nigeria hmmmmmm more than a HAND OUT abi BOOK.

I understand the local officials may not be well trained to supply these details. However, it could be made mandatory for all shippers to supply these details for vehicles coming into Nigeria. ALL VEHICLES from Europe and America have these information.

Lets discuss this issue and hope for a change.

Cheers

I'm sorry to have quoted u but it's for emphasis. I'm currently working on security of car theft which would be in collaboration with other agencies. Kindly send a prototype of vehicle licence of your country of residence. State also process, requirements etc. In the event of theft, what measures are taken to recover such. Send it (emenunigeria@gmail.com or info@emenunigeria.com.ng). Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by Jucol(m): 10:20pm On Jan 15, 2013
I'm sorry to have quoted u but it's for emphasis. I'm currently working on security of car theft which would be in collaboration with other agencies. Kindly send a prototype of vehicle licence of your country of residence. State also process, requirements etc. In the event of theft, what measures are taken to recover such. Send it (emenunigeria@gmail.com or info@emenunigeria.com.ng). Thanks.

I will happily do that. Give me some time to translate the documents.
I like the initiative.
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by dulphines: 10:25pm On Jan 15, 2013
Siena:

Again, you're not getting it. I never said your vehicle registration documents would have your engine size as the engine number. I said your engine number WILL have the code that tells what the engine capacity is, which SHOULD match the one on your engine block, unless it's had a replacement.
Bro, please get it clear; Nigeria police dn't care or knw abt engine capacity. All they want is a match of the engine number and what is written on your particulars. If B is mistakenly written as 3 or vice-versa, then you are pronounced a CRIMINAL with a stolen vehicle. Your points are informative and noted bt nt a clear response to the subject. Merci mon ami.
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by Ogojohn(m): 10:37pm On Jan 15, 2013
THEY DO. LOOK WELL YOU WILL FIND IT.
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by Olisa4all: 11:01pm On Jan 15, 2013
how do u know a vehicle that has its engine number written on the engine from the ones that don't without having to search the entire engine with a magnifying glass?
And for the cars that don't have their engine numbers written,how do u get it?
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jan 15, 2013
pekelepekele: @ sienna nah ITK go kill you . say amen cheesy

You sound frustrated, and extremely bitter. Only an ignorant oaf would respond the way you just have. If you had half a brain, you'd be dangerous.

Luckily, you're just a brain-dead, moronic Silverback Gorilla. No self-respecting ape would envy you your brain power.
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by Ikenna351(m): 11:09pm On Jan 15, 2013
Sometime in 2011, i was travelling back to Abuja, in one of my trips to East that year. I was packed at a check point somewhere in Kogi state. The Police man asked for my driver's Licence and vehicle papers. After glancing at the documents, he asked me to open the car bonnet. I did. He then asked me to show him where the engine number was engraved on the engine. I told him i didnt know and i wasnt interested to find out. That if he really wanted to see it, he would have to find it himself. So, which one concern me! Well, he looked at the engine bay, sigh and gave me back my papers. Trust V6 engine! The whole engine bay was covered with the engine. Where would he have started to look for the numbers? I gathered online that to see the engine number on that engine, the engine will have to be pulled down from the car.

As soon as he gave me back the car documents and my driver's Licence, he said " Oga, anything for me?" "Now you are talking", i mutered. I like those of them that simply beg for "greener pastures", rather than try to waste my time.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jan 15, 2013
Ikenna351: I gathered online that to see the engine number on that engine, the engine would have to come down from the car.

Ikenna.

Hahahaha! I hope he had his tools, and a sturdy engine crane to take that big lump out! grin grin
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by ifebosco: 11:57pm On Jan 15, 2013
good idea for our leaders to learn,as usual, there will not.
i have a good data base AND CONCTRUCTION company i work with them here in spain, THE HIGHEST SHARE HOLDER OF THE COMPANY IS THE PRESIDENT OF REAL MADRID FC , the company has over 100 years of history.with branches all over the world
we can provide good and very cheap licences for every car in nigeria with
internacional standard and in less than one year, all cars in nigeria can be on data base with their pictures on it.
this can be done with out spending billions of naira.GOD PLEASE HELP US, GIVE US GOOD LEADERS WITH IDEAS IN THIS COUNTRY
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by Nobody: 12:02am On Jan 16, 2013
ifebosco: good idea for our leaders to learn,as usual, there will not.
i have a good data base AND CONCTRUCTION company i work with them here in spain, THE HIGHEST SHARE HOLDER OF THE COMPANY IS THE PRESIDENT OF REAL MADRID FC , the company has over 100 years of history.with branches all over the world
we can provide good and very cheap licences for every car in nigeria with
internacional standard and in less than one year, all cars in nigeria can be on data base with their pictures on it.
this can be done with out spending billions of naira.GOD PLEASE HELP US, GIVE US GOOD LEADERS WITH IDEAS IN THIS COUNTRY

You lost me. Did you intend to post this elsewhere? Because I can't see any correlation between your post, and this thread.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by ifebosco: 3:03am On Jan 16, 2013
Siena:

You lost me. Did you intend to post this elsewhere? Because I can't see any correlation between your post, and this thread.
please sir try and read what i wrote,i beleive is inline with the thread.im just saying that we can do it in nigeria if our leaders want
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by lastpage: 4:38am On Jan 16, 2013
Ogojohn: MY BROTHER THAT PRESENTLY RESIDE IN CAMEROON RETURNED WITH HIS TOYOTA CAMRY ONCE AND I TOOK IT OUT. ON A POLICE CHECK POINT THEY STOPPED ME. WHEN THEY CHECKED THE CUSTOM PAPERS THAT THE VEHICLE CAME TO NIGERIA WIT. TO MY SURPRISE. THE CAR HAD ON THE THE CHASSIS NUMBER. AT THE PLACE WHERE THE ENGINE NUMBER WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WAS BLANK.THE POLICE MEN NOW TERMED THE VEHICLE A STOLEN VEHICLE EVEN WIT THE OFFICIAL CUSTOM PAPER WITH WHICH THE VEHICLE WAS PERMITTED TO COME INTO NIGERIA WAS PRESENTED. I WAS MADE TO PATH WITH SOME MONEY AFTER ABOUT TWO HOURS DELAY AT THE POLICE STATION. WHEN I CAME BACK I ASKED MY BROTHER WHY THE PAPERS DIDN'T HAVE THE ENGINE NUMBER. HE EXPLAINED TO ME THAT IN CAMEROON THAT VEHICLE ENGINE ARE ALSO PARTS IN A VEHICLE THAT CAN BE CHANGED THEREFORE ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE PARTICULARS.
Your experience sums up everything this thread is about.

The Police SHOULD NOT BE ASKING FOR ENGINE NUMBER. NOT AT ALL.
This is what l was expecting Sienna to say from the on-set.

In the "WEST", vehicles are identified by a LOG BOOK.
This document has all sorts of information (and is updated as it passes from hand to hand, during vehicle sales) but the most important ones which do not change (except if the vehicle enters another country, in which case, the Reg/plate number may change) are:

Vehicle Identification Number (its on your seat belt, car chasis and about anything permanent on that car)
Engine size, Transmission, Date of first registration, number of previous owner, CURRENT owner name and address, color and some other stuffs.

Now, it is THE POLICE that needs to be educated on how to do their job, what to look for when they want to identify a "truly stolen vehicle" (as against just setting-people-up for extortion).

You cannot blame the people for inefficiency and deliberate ploy to extort, by the Police.
The Police, followed by the Judiciary are the biggest enemy of Nigeria and like NEPA! grin , until we sort out these two, Nigeria can never reducee its rate of corruption nor develop.

if a Policeman sees you taking your TV for repair, (A TV you've had for donkey years!), he will ask for the reciept you were given when you bought the TV Is there a report of a stolen TV in the last five minutes or why is he so interested in the TV's receipt?

Same goes with Laptop ..and to mention the ridiculous, they asked a guy for receipt of his "Italian Leather shoes" shocked shocked
Guy said it was sent as a gift to him by his brother in Italy and Policeman went: This is a stolen item, if you cannot provide the receipt!

So, the problem is not the people as Sienna alludes, it is the Police and Judicial system that is so corrupt, they are now so brazen.

I agree that "lack of basic knowledge" about your "rights" can make you more susceptible to their antics but even when you know your "right" (from your left! grin ), their determination to extort you now makes them VIOLENT and many a "knowledgeable peeps" have been sent to their grave by those criminals in Uniform.

What manner of Police arrests a man in "shorts and T-shirt + Bathroom slippers" who just walks across the road to buy Sardine from the Mallam's Kiosk? Arresting him for "wandering" even when the man points to his house-door some 50meters away and asked to be taken there to confirm his identity?

But THEY REFUSED ....because they have a "target amount" they must extort from innocent people!

American Police and U.K Police no dey do like that naah? angry angry

Well sha, we all know 'whatz-up' with Nigerian police.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by Jucol(m): 4:32pm On Jan 16, 2013
Are there no Policemen or Licensing Authority staff in the house to contribute?? Can someone invite them to join the discussion? They could have an explanation we are not aware of.
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by Nobody: 1:45am On Jan 17, 2013
yosmen: is it true BMW engines dont have engine number?police use am chop me for checkpoint,i had to part with money to avoid delay nd wahala.later i check my m50 engine but cudnt find.
the engine number is located right underneath. Next time they want to see it, pull out ur foot mat and pretend u wanna go under while beckoning on the olopa to come see. u will see 360 degree turn while handing you ur papers back! If he can, let us see how he would look lying on his uniform underneath a car on the road. Mofos!

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by Nobody: 5:55am On Jan 19, 2013
My car came with chasis number on the engine i.e. What is written on the engine is exacly the same as the chasis number. When I registered the car, because I understand that engine number shud b different, I simply wrote not seen. No police has bothered me about that and if anyone does, I will tell him to remove my engine and search for the engine number himsef.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by oyinbogirl(f): 11:05am On Dec 29, 2013
Our cars here have VIN numbers, located under the windscreen for easy identification. a long digit number containing letters which dexcribes such things as make, model, year, and includes engine number. The VIN is included on everything ..registration, insurance, when you buy and sell etc. Police returned my car very quickly to me when it was stolen due to this
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by dammieplus: 10:40pm On Mar 14, 2016
The Problem is partly with the vehicle licensing authorities. The spece for "Engine number" should not be on the proof of ownership or vehicle license at all.
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by phibetakappa: 11:50pm On Mar 14, 2016
This is the first time I'm hearing of the Police checking engine number of vehicles at checkpoints. In Ghana, the police mostly check your roadworthy certificate, insurance and vehicle income tax(commercial vehicles), these are even stickers on the the windscreen, so they just check that themselves. The only thing they will ask you to provide is your drivers license.
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by lonelydora: 5:45am On Mar 15, 2016
Ikenna351:
Sometime in 2011, i was travelling back to Abuja, in one of my trips to East that year. I was packed at a check point somewhere in Kogi state. The Police man asked for my driver's Licence and vehicle papers. After glancing at the documents, he asked me to open the car bonnet. I did. He then asked me to show him where the engine number was engraved on the engine. I told him i didnt know and i wasnt interested to find out. That if he really wanted to see it, he would have to find it himself. So, which one concern me! Well, he looked at the engine bay, sigh and gave me back my papers. Trust V6 engine! The whole engine bay was covered with the engine. Where would he have started to look for the numbers? I gathered online that to see the engine number on that engine, the engine will have to be pulled down from the car.

As soon as he gave me back the car documents and my driver's Licence, he said " Oga, anything for me?" "Now you are talking", i mutered. I like those of them that simply beg for "greener pastures", rather than try to waste my time.

Ikenna.

Gbam! The bolded is always my response. And they will just look at me and give me back my papers. Searching for engine number is most common with Convectional Police and not MOPOL.
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by lonelydora: 5:48am On Mar 15, 2016
pekelepekele:
@ sienna nah ITK go kill you . say amen cheesy

You don't have to insult. We are all here to learn.
Re: The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. by billyG(m): 6:52pm On Mar 15, 2016
trix1:

while I agree that many people don't take time to really know the kinda engine they have, I think this thread has more to do with police obsession with engine number, than engine type. It seems you don't live in Nigeria, so you haven't gotten a clear picture of what the OP is painting.
when you get to a police check point, they don't look at the engine type, what they look for is engine number, and woe betide you if the 5 written on your papers look like S.
mogbe!there is 2 SS & 5 in my engine no;d former owner wrote S for 5 on d reg.paper.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money / A Tanker And BRT Bus Accident In Abuja This Morning / 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.