Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,756 members, 7,802,313 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos (5036 Views)

Lagos To Demolish 800 Houses For 4th Mainland Bridge / Ambode Lights Up Third Mainland Bridge (photos) / Gej Banners Defaced With Paint On 3rd Mainland Bridge(pix). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Nobody: 7:44am On Jan 16, 2013
Couple of years ago. 2008 to be precise, the then Minister of works Mrs Diezani, took an inspection tour of the Lagos 3rd Mainland bridge after numerous complaints by users of the bridge over the constant vibration noticed. Under Pres(late) Yar-adua, a whooping sum of N754,000,000 was spent to repair the expansion joints. Years later, the Fg decided to repair the other side's expansion joint and this time at a cost of about N1,100,000,000.

There were lots of drama between the Lagos state government and the FG over who to control traffic. This is not unexpected cos same happened in 2008. shortly afterwards, the rehabilitation commenced sometime in July 2012. http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/repair-of-third-mainland-bridge-causes-pain-for-lagos-motorists/119716/ http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/third-mainland-bridge-repair-works-begin/119558/ It was to last for 4 months, but thank whatever as it lasted for a period less than 4 months. http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-reopens-3rd-mainland-bridge-today/

As usual, the 'Nigerian show' took the centre stage. The minster of works came to 'commission' the bridge and put an end to the partial closure.

Few days after the reopening, the regular users complained back then in 2012 of some bad portions of the bridge, which the Ministry of works and FERMA denied vehemently. What did we see thereafter? Articulated vehicles and other earth moving equipments for road construction were deployed to the bridge before the end of 2012(about a month after the rehabilitation) Since late 2012 till now, repair works are still ongoing, to the extent that sometimes, the equipments causes traffic jam on the 3rd Mainland bridge.

Well, one can say there's no harm in fixing the bridge, cos if this isn't done, we would still complain that our government is insensitive to our plight, however my issue is that why must we keep wasting money instead of saving money? When Borini Prono(contractor that did the rehabilitation) was handling the repairs, why didn't they just finish all repairs as at that 2012? Don't u think it would have been cheaper for the Govt to have used Borini Prono? Or can we say the present repairs is not having effect on the nations purse or causing 'us' to lose man hours? These equipments are parked on the 3rd Mainland bridge 24hrs, don't u think this may cause accident if oncoming vehicle fails to see them in time due to failure of the lighting on 3rd Mainland bridge?

So many questions but only God will save Nigeria

1 Like

Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by tunapawizzy: 9:05am On Jan 16, 2013
.awesome God thank u for this rare 1st-to-comment opportunity, even though i have nothing to say
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Nobody: 9:09am On Jan 16, 2013
I carry 2nd, God of wonders.
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:09am On Jan 16, 2013
Reserved.
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Delafruita(m): 9:11am On Jan 16, 2013
adextaiwo84: I carry 2nd, God of wonders.
what led to this craze for been "1st" or "2nd" or whatever?this a place for objective discussion and not idiotic pranks.

4 Likes

Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by JLANCE(m): 9:12am On Jan 16, 2013
na wa o chai see money
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Simplesoul05(m): 9:13am On Jan 16, 2013
toba: Couple of years ago. 2008 to be precise, the then Minister of works Mrs Diezani, took an inspection tour of the Lagos 3rd Mainland brigbge after numerous complaints by users of the bridge over the constant vibration noticed. Under Pres(late) Yar-adua, a whooping sum of N754,000,000 was spent to repair the expansion joints. Years later, the Fg decided to repair the other side's expansion joint and this time at a cost of about N1,100,000,000.

There were lots of drama between the Lagos state government and the FG over who to control traffic. This is not unexpected cos same happened in 2008. shortly afterwards, the rehabilitation commenced sometime in July 2012. http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/repair-of-third-mainland-bridge-causes-pain-for-lagos-motorists/119716/ http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/third-mainland-bridge-repair-works-begin/119558/ It was to last for 4 months, but thank whatever as it lasted for a period less than 4 months. http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-reopens-3rd-mainland-bridge-today/

As usual, the 'Nigerian show' took the centre stage. The minster of works came to 'commission' the bridge and put an end to the partial closure.

Few days after the reopening, the regular users complained back then in 2012 of some bad portions of the bridge, which the Ministry of works and FERMA denied vehemently. What did we see thereafter? Articulated vehicles and other earth moving equipments for road construction were deployed to the bridge before the end of 2012(about a month after the rehabilitation) Since late 2012 till now, repair works are still ongoing, to the extent that sometimes, the equipments causes traffic jam on the 3rd Mainland bridge.

Well, one can say there's no harm in fixing the bridge, cos if this isn't done, we would still complain that our government is insensitive to our plight, however my issue is that why must we keep wasting money instead of saving money? When Borini Prono(contractor that did the rehabilitation) was handling the repairs, why didn't they just finish all repairs as at that 2012? Don't u think it would have been cheaper for the Govt to have used Borini Prono? Or can we say the present repairs is not having effect on the nations purse or causing 'us' to lose man hours? These equipments are parked on the 3rd Mainland bridge 24hrs, don't u think this may cause accident if oncoming vehicle fails to see them in time due to failure of the lighting on 3rd Mainland bridge?

6th
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by WaltherPPK: 9:13am On Jan 16, 2013
Mr Man, always get your facts right, Diezani has never been minister of works.She was the transport minster.
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Simplesoul05(m): 9:13am On Jan 16, 2013
toba: Couple of years ago. 2008 to be precise, the then Minister of works Mrs Diezani, took an inspection tour of the Lagos 3rd Mainland brigbge after numerous complaints by users of the bridge over the constant vibration noticed. Under Pres(late) Yar-adua, a whooping sum of N754,000,000 was spent to repair the expansion joints. Years later, the Fg decided to repair the other side's expansion joint and this time at a cost of about N1,100,000,000.

6th
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by xtremeidea(m): 9:14am On Jan 16, 2013
toba: When Borini Prono(contractor that did the rehabilitation) was handling the repairs, why didn't they just finish all repairs as at that 2012? Don't u think it would have been cheaper for the Govt to have used Borini Prono? Or can we say the present repairs is not having effect on the nations purse or causing 'us' to lose man hours? These equipments are parked on the 3rd Mainland bridge 24hrs, don't u think this may cause accident if oncoming vehicle fails to see them in time due to failure of the lighting on 3rd Mainland bridge?

U beat me to it bro. I had this same thought this morning as i passed the bridge at about 6:30am. It distubbed me so much, bearing in mind that there are no road lights on the bridge.

Even the light poles that were damaged by "hurricane Chukwudi" are yet to be repaired. Only God can help us in this country.

Imagine driving across the bride at 5:30am and your car develops a little electrical issues and your head lamps go off!!! what happens? another Nigerian gone? God forbid!!!

2 Likes

Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by omiobo: 9:15am On Jan 16, 2013
SMH
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by jadakiss213(m): 9:22am On Jan 16, 2013
adextaiwo84: I carry 2nd, God of wonders.
lols..u ds people,una no well at all.
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by jadakiss213(m): 9:25am On Jan 16, 2013
WaltherPPK: Mr Man, always get your facts right, Diezani has never been minister of works.She was the transport minster.
true,but 'works' was under the Ministry of Transport then.
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by xtremeidea(m): 9:30am On Jan 16, 2013
The sincere fact is that in Nigeria, We dnt care about each other, thats why someone in authority can ignore damaged facilities not minding how many lives that could be lost as a result of same. angry angry angry angry
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by sureboykris(m): 9:32am On Jan 16, 2013
The answer to all this is simple. Everyone with common sense knows that all repair works should ve been carried out at once. But d monster CORRUPTION wouldn't let common sense hold. The more they delay complete repairs the more their chances of stealing money through contracts. God help us
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Nobody: 9:49am On Jan 16, 2013
CORRUPTION IS NOT A MONSTER, BUT A VIRUS.
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by bigfat: 9:53am On Jan 16, 2013
[size=15pt]they need to repair that bridge every 2weeks [/size] so that soon the contract go reach our own turn
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Nobody: 9:54am On Jan 16, 2013
@Toba..,show us any link that supports your submission that N754million was spent to repair the bridge under Yar Adua
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Nobody: 10:10am On Jan 16, 2013
The important question is what part or component of the bridge is being repaired within the period?

The N1.1billion work that was done for the 4months for which the bridge was closed last year was specifically at the 8 EXPANSION JOINTS of the bridge. This was well reported. One of such reports states:

"After almost four months of partial closure of the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos to allow the repairs of its eight expansion joints, the bridge was yesterday reopened to traffic"

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/fg-reopens-third-mainland-bridge-to-traffic-workll-begin-on-lagos-ibadan-expressway-this-year-minister/

Other works that has been done or is being done recently, which are clearly different from the above, include fixing of the rails, re-surfacing of bad surfaces fixing of the lights,etc

Moreover, it is not an offence for agencies of govt to do their job. It is proper and they should be COMMENDED.
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by KINGwax(m): 10:24am On Jan 16, 2013
Delafruita: what led to this craze for been "1st" or "2nd" or whatever?this a place for objective discussion and not idiotic pranks.
all those fools are from one site like dt...i dnt wanna mention bt it's starts wit naija sha and ends wit a 'd'
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Sammy25n(m): 10:51am On Jan 16, 2013
[b][/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]SAVE WHICH MONEY? FOR THE GOVERMENT OR FOR THE MASSES? IS IT MONEY U N I WILL NEVA SEE EVEN IF SAVED FORGET DOES PEOPLE JOORRRRRRRRR
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Walexz02(m): 11:17am On Jan 16, 2013
@Since 9jerian, you are diviting totaly from the question of the Op He asked why is the repairs giving to another contractor instead of the contractor who did the initial job .(if not for the pupose of embezlling our money). Abi u fit sabi repair my house pass me wey build am?
So, if you knew why tell us and if u dnt just sit and watch.
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by taharqa: 11:21am On Jan 16, 2013
@OP, i bliv Borino was only contractd to retool the joints in d bridge cos they probably wantd to reduce d time d bridge wud be partly closed. I think FERMA is doing d oda outstanding works like rails, street lights etc, which you can do without closing d bridge and mking people suffer more... By d way, it is SHAMEFUL dat parts of d 3rd Mainland bridge still do not hv street lights...
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 16, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: @Toba..,show us any link that supports your submission that N754million was spent to repair the bridge under Yar Adua
in response to ur comment.
Third Mainland Bridge to be shut for two months
By Rasheed Bisiriyu and Olalekan Adetayo of PUNCH NEWSPAPER
Published: Wednesday, 16 Jul 2008

The contract for the repair was awarded late 2007 at the cost of N745m for a period of five months.
source http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20080716151468
in 2007 Late pres Yar adua was in charge
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Nobody: 11:44am On Jan 16, 2013
WaltherPPK: Mr Man, always get your facts right, Diezani has never been minister of works.She was the transport minster.
yes she was but practically acting as works minister. can you remember how she went to benin expressway to dramatise by weeping? Also she spearheaded the repairs of 3rd Mainland bridge. If we had a works minister then, why didnt he or she do anything? why was Deizani doing all the fronting? Here's a quote from wiki which suggests deizani was the works minister

From wiki
In October 2008, Yar'Adua announced a major cabinet reshuffle, with 20 of the 41 ministers or ministers of state being dropped from the cabinet. Several of the remaining ministers assumed temporary responsibility for other ministries pending confirmation hearings for the Yar'Adua's new nominees.[3] There was a considerable delay before Yar'Adua swore in sixteen new ministers on 17 December 2008.

Works and Housing Hassan Muhammed Lawal (December 2008 - March 2010) 3rd Mainland bridge was repaired between August to October 2008
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by cupid4ig(m): 11:47am On Jan 16, 2013
rman: This is off topic but, it has to be said.

The " first to comment " crew are like a virus gradually spreading to all topics on nairaland.

I initially thought they are protesting on topics that they feel are not frontpage worthy. But I noticed that this rubbish is now being displaced on almost all topics, important and matured ones inclusive. Why comment on a topic you dont like or have nothing important to say.

Another retarded group are the ones that quote lenthy topics to type " OK ".

I suspect some people are trying desperately to rubbish nairaland so people will lose interest and visit other sites.

Lastly, I dont see this fizzling out like the garri crew. Seun and the mods needs to look into this.
exactly what i want to say, it is so irritating and annoying seeing those silly comment my suggestion is to ban anyone who do such then others will stop it cos to me they are just useless on this forum cos all they do is 1st to comment even when the are not first they sill still display there stupidity smh
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Nobody: 11:50am On Jan 16, 2013
toba: in response to ur comment. source http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20080716151468
in 2007 Late pres Yar adua was in charge
Ok. Though the link failed to open but I appreciate your effort
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Nobody: 11:52am On Jan 16, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Ok. Though the link failed to open but I appreciate your effort
check it here https://www.nairaland.com/151751/third-mainland-bridge-shut-two
Re: The Unending Rehabilitation Works On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 16, 2013
Walexz02: @Since 9jerian, you are diviting totaly from the question of the Op He asked why is the repairs giving to another contractor instead of the contractor who did the initial job .(if not for the pupose of embezlling our money). Abi u fit sabi repair my house pass me wey build am?
So, if you knew why tell us and if u dnt just sit and watch.
Does the govt have award contract for fixing of damaged rails? I think FERMA should be able to do all of those, including re-surfacing of bad surfaces

(1) (2) (Reply)

Onitsha Ipob Peaceful Protest: My Story, A Bloody Story / Can You Answer These Simple Questions????????? / I Am Yoruba And I Support Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.