Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,749 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction (8894 Views)

Aregbesola New Road Construction In Osogbo (pictures) / Pictures Of Ongoing Road Construction At Ochefu Road Aba / Governor Ikpeazu Flags Off Road Construction In Aba(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by watchinglagos: 9:14am On Jan 16, 2013
Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola on Tuesday said he would revoke contract for the construction of Obafemi Awolowo road project in Ikorodu Local Government.

Fashola said this during the tour of the state’s projects in Ikorodu, where aggrieved residents trooped out to complain about the “shoddy manner” the construction was being handled.

According to the residents, the road reconstruction have been going on for over 35 months.

The residents welcomed the governor to the area with placards with inscriptions such as ‘Road abandoned for 35months, ‘Governor Please Save Us, ‘Our children are afflicted with Asthma’.

The residents insisted that the dust on the road had seriously affected the health of residents.

One of them said, “Sir, we want to ask if the residents in this area have offended you that the project will be given to a contractor that is incompetent.”

Fashola explained that the government awarded the project because it recognised the need to improve the road in the area.

He said, “There is no need for anyone to be angry, the fact that we awarded the contract is because we want to make things better. This project will henceforth be re-awarded to a more competent contractor that will do a better job.

“These are some of the challenges that come with giving local contractor opportunities, but we are not happy with the service and we will change the contractor.

The governor, however, said one of the challenges affecting contractors’ performance in the state was incessant harassment by youths. He added that cooperation was required if the contractor must deliver promptly.

http://www.watchinglagos.com/2013/01/fashola-sacks-contractor-over-slow-road.html
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by kingingkinging: 10:30am On Jan 16, 2013
Gov Fash and plausible responses.

Good one sir.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by inspirenet: 10:36am On Jan 16, 2013
kingingkinging: Gov Fash and plausible responses.

Good one sir.

wink
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by GARRIx7(m): 11:03am On Jan 16, 2013
The Governor should have carried out an investigation to ascertain the ACTUAL reason why the pace of work is slow.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by IjeomaOkeke100(f): 11:42am On Jan 16, 2013
ohhhhh realy
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by mikelangs(m): 11:42am On Jan 16, 2013
No wasting time> He really means business
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by kaze4blues(m): 11:46am On Jan 16, 2013
Eko o ni baje...

6th ds time...I can stil do better
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by Nobody: 11:46am On Jan 16, 2013
GARRI (x7):
The Governor should have carried out an investigation to ascertain the ACTUAL reason why the pace of work is slow.
His comment below is self-explanatory.eko o ni baje o

The governor, however, said one of the challenges affecting contractors’ performance in the state was incessant harassment by youths.
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by Nobody: 11:52am On Jan 16, 2013
kaze4blues: Eko o ni baje...

you try well well. Eko no go spoil o!
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by Nobody: 11:56am On Jan 16, 2013
E.O.N.B.O.....still passing by though
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by DrMuzungu(m): 11:57am On Jan 16, 2013
Why don't they sack themselves sometimes for not paying contractors for finished works, sometimes for months and even years?!?!?!

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by Blackbody20(m): 11:58am On Jan 16, 2013
I so much love dis man. If to say na my state governor, na grammer wey people no go sabi him go dey yarn. Next comment please!
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by theripper: 11:59am On Jan 16, 2013
Which youths?
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by luvinhubby(m): 11:59am On Jan 16, 2013
Who assesed and awarded the job to the contractor initially, what was the competence & track record of the company before now, the governor should equally investigate the award process to avoid future occurance.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jan 16, 2013
If only Mr ebele jonathan can follow up on contracted projects like this, Nigeria would have made a rapid development. But no way. The guy is busy setting up committees upon committees. Good one my able Governor. Eko o ni baje o

1 Like

Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by abhosts(m): 12:12pm On Jan 16, 2013
What about the Lekki Expressway? Why has Fashola not Sacked LCC despite the terribly slow pace of Work?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by Afolabs101: 12:21pm On Jan 16, 2013
And Ozumba Mbadiwe. The contractor has completely abandoned what they were doing for months now. But I'm sure it's hi-tech, therefore nothing will happen!
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jan 16, 2013
Nice move.
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by vanstanzy(m): 12:34pm On Jan 16, 2013
Na so e suppose be! That's my no nonsense Gov'nor, Fashola. Contractors should learn to be serious when executing projects, and Govt should learn how to award contracts to serious minded contractors, not to their unserious cohorts.
I too work on a road construction and i can categorically tell that, the gov'nor raised an important factor that scares contractors; "one of the challenges affecting contractors’ performance is incessant harassment by youths." The youths in Niger-Delta are far worse. Very stubborn, lazy and troublesome.
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by slimming: 12:36pm On Jan 16, 2013
I trust Fashola for excellence.
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by Abbey2sam(m): 12:36pm On Jan 16, 2013
kaze4blues: Eko o ni baje...

Eko o ni baje oo!!

Amen
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by bleeztouch(m): 12:42pm On Jan 16, 2013
No time
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by dfigsslog5(m): 12:42pm On Jan 16, 2013
Good one sir. U have done well in ur decision
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by bory09(m): 12:42pm On Jan 16, 2013
Why bois no go halla when the contractor dey show sharpness. To hell with stingy contractor welcome to chop make you chop contractor. *boys are not smiling jare*
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by speaktoinzaghi(m): 12:51pm On Jan 16, 2013
Eko O ni Baje O.... Fashola is working Lagos is working
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by vanstanzy(m): 12:57pm On Jan 16, 2013
bory09: Why bois no go halla when the contractor dey show sharpness. To hell with stingy contractor welcome to chop make you chop contractor. *boys are not smiling jare*

*Disappointing!!!*

Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by phransix147(m): 12:59pm On Jan 16, 2013
Complete thrash! Would u compare the dust there to the one at Jakande-Bucknoor-Ijegun-Isheri road? That project has been there since Tinubu's Era, when election is near contractors mobilize to site when then Election is Won they carry there tinz one after the other. So if he truly cares without strings attached let him see an end to that mess before the rains come pouring down again! People there are suffering.
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by kingingkinging: 1:00pm On Jan 16, 2013
GARRI (x7):

You wanted to say he should have set up a committee to look into why the pace is slow for 35 months, almost 3 years, like our dear presido. Later he should also set up another committee to look into what that committee has done and finally another committee to write white paper for the investigation of the first committee before withdrawing the contract.

Pls note that this is what we call SLA (Service Level Agreement) it must have been stated in the contractual agreement ab initio, so no reason for an unnecessary delay. Thank God Mr Fash is a lawyer by profession, he understands 'law of contract very well.

Abeg he is on point.

what the residents want to see is a motorable road and not a bunch of excuses for the delay like somebody (presido)was giving an alibi for corruption the other time. In fact people like Fashola actually saved my psyche because Jonathan would have made me to believe some things are not possible in governance in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by mapet: 1:01pm On Jan 16, 2013
You are a bloody liar.......
Afolabs101: And Ozumba Mbadiwe. The contractor has completely abandoned what they were doing for months now. But I'm sure it's hi-tech, therefore nothing will happen!
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by vanstanzy(m): 1:07pm On Jan 16, 2013
kingingkinging:

You wanted to say he should have set up a committee to look into why the pace is slow for 35 months, almost 3 years, like our dear presido. Later he should also set up another committee to look into what that committee has done and finally another committee to write white paper for the investigation of the first committee before withdrawing the contract.

Pls note that this is what we call SLA (Service Level Agreement) it must have been stated in the contractual agreement ab initio, so no reason for an unnecessary delay. Thank God Mr Fash is a lawyer by profession, he understands 'law of contract very well.

Abeg he is on point.

what the residents want to see is a motorable road and not a bunch of excuses for the delay like somebody (presido)was giving an alibi for corruption the other time. In fact people like Fashola actually saved my psyche because Jonathan would have made me to believe some things are not possible in governance in Nigeria.

U are so on-point, God bless ur brains.
Re: Fashola Sacks Contractor Over Slow Road Construction by vanstanzy(m): 1:14pm On Jan 16, 2013
the_ripper: Which youths?

"Omo oni'le!" (land owners), i believe that's what Yorubas call them, right?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Gowon Rejected The Aburi Accord / Look At What I Just Saw. There Is Real Struggle In The Land. (picture Inside) / Igbo Presidency: Ohanaeze Replies Oluwo Of Iwo, Says Accusations Untrue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.