Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

Eviction Notice: Does Anyone Know What Nigerian Tenancy Law Says? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Eviction Notice: Does Anyone Know What Nigerian Tenancy Law Says? (2055 Views)

Should I Give My Unfaithful Tenant An Eviction Notice? / The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? / See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eviction Notice: Does Anyone Know What Nigerian Tenancy Law Says? by bigheart2013(m): 4:31pm On Jan 16, 2013
I want to give an eviction notice to my tenant who is renting a bungalow from me this month. I want to recover the house for personal use in a few months. I envisage he might resist the move. It’s a residential house currently occupied by a family of 6. I did mention it to him verbally last year.

Does anyone know what the Nigerian Tenancy law says about eviction notices –

1. How many months notice am I required to give a tenant?
2. Is he required to pay me rents during the period?
3. Can I simply evict him at the end of this year’s agreement (February)
4. What actions he might take if he feels aggrieved (petition right groups/ govt, court injunctions, etc)?
5. What loopholes do tenants usually explore in the law that I need to watch out for?

I will appreciate we focus on the issues on the thread. I do not want to break the law or get locked in a lengthy court battle especially.
Re: Eviction Notice: Does Anyone Know What Nigerian Tenancy Law Says? by ifyalways(f): 6:11pm On Jan 16, 2013
They should get a minimium of 3 free months stay commencing the month their last rent expired.

Did they repair things in the house?they might use that to trap you.
Move this to the property section. The mod there, "lawyer" would give you a better reply.
Re: Eviction Notice: Does Anyone Know What Nigerian Tenancy Law Says? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 16, 2013
What's the term of the tenancy? Yearly,6months, or monthly? Again, when did the tenancy commence? I mean the exact date.
These will determine the lenght of the notice you'd be giving him, so help with the answers, and I'l get back to you.
Re: Eviction Notice: Does Anyone Know What Nigerian Tenancy Law Says? by bigheart2013(m): 9:04pm On Jan 16, 2013
Ezeed: What's the term of the tenancy? Yearly,6months, or monthly? Again, when did the tenancy commence? I mean the exact date.
These will determine the lenght of the notice you'd be giving him, so help with the answers, and I'l get back to you.

They moved in about 6 years ago, they paid the usual 2 years in advance when they moved in, but started paying annually after 2 years. Their 2012 rent will expire next month. Yes they did some repairs, which I gave them credit through rent subtraction.
Re: Eviction Notice: Does Anyone Know What Nigerian Tenancy Law Says? by i1: 10:17am On Jan 17, 2013
Hello! As I said you need †☺ give them 6 months notice ooh!

(1) (Reply)

Understanding Land Documents And Titles / Properties In Ogba, Fagba, Agege / For Rent: 4 Bedroom House@ Ocean Bay Estate, Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.