Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,229 members, 7,807,763 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:39 PM

The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# (3453 Views)

Guess The Author Or The Book / Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. / The Book Of Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by LarrySun(m): 10:12pm On Jan 26, 2013
In Chapter One: We're introduced into how Richard's mind works. He's the typical Nigerian graduate, but his thinking faculty is nonpareil. He's angered at what life is throwing at him, and then comes the arrogant Abigail to speak to him in such impolite manner. Ironically, in the end, Richard ached to encounter that young woman again. See what 'affection' can ddo to people o. I'm also wondering why the author veered off the main story to take us on a mysterious trip to the events of what happened many years ago at the exact location where Abigail and Richard meet. If seeing a woman can cure someone's mania. Then the street lunatics need to see more women with babies on their backs grin

Now, Chapter Two takes us deeper into the secret behind Richard's existence. That's such a blow; having his mother confess to him that he's the son of a robber. I actually pity him, really. Being jobless, getting insulted by a careless lady and finding out that the blood of an armed-robber runs in his veins.

Planning just a little crime is what a man in his position may do. I just hope this crime he's planning isn't going to boomerang on him.
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:26pm On Jan 26, 2013
Is this fiction or non fiction?

Since we have the Author here..what was the motivation for the writing of this story?
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by LarrySun(m): 10:31pm On Jan 26, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Is this fiction or non fiction?

Since we have the Author here..what was the motivation for the writing of this story?
It's definitely fiction.
Please, would you guys kindly treat the author as a fellow reader? It'd be more interesting that way, I think grin
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:37pm On Jan 26, 2013
Larry-Sun:

It's definitely fiction.
Please, would you guys kindly treat the author as a fellow reader? It'd be more interesting that way, I think grin
That's wat m doing hey.

So I need to answer ma own kwetion
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by LarrySun(m): 10:43pm On Jan 26, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: That's wat m doing hey.

So I need to answer ma own kwetion
Okay, to answer your question. The motivation came from putting two and two together and getting twenty-two million. The truth is, the ideas flowed freely as I was writing.
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:47pm On Jan 26, 2013
Larry-Sun:

Okay, to answer your question. The motivation came from putting two and two together and getting twenty-two million. The truth is, the ideas flowed freely as I was writing.
are u a kindergarten teacher Larry?
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by LarrySun(m): 10:51pm On Jan 26, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: are u a kindergarten teacher Larry?
shocked Wow! Why would you ask that?
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:02pm On Jan 26, 2013
Larry-Sun:

shocked Wow! Why would you ask that?
coz ur answer is fit for their minds
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by LarrySun(m): 11:37pm On Jan 26, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: coz ur answer is fit for their minds
LOL! I thought we've discussed this somewhere before.
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jan 27, 2013
HumbledbYGrace:
please let's leave larry o,he's been unbiased with his contribution to this story since we started and i appreciate that,even though he's the author.
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:03pm On Jan 27, 2013
Larry-Sun:

LOL! I thought we've discussed this somewhere before.
D-deola:

please let's leave larry o,he's been unbiased with his contribution to this story since we started and i appreciate that,even though he's the author.
What is this?

I asked Larry that because he is involved not because m picking on him
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by LarrySun(m): 5:18pm On Jan 27, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: What is this?

I asked Larry that because he is involved not because m picking on him
Do not be pissed. No hard feeling.
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by UjSizzle(f): 7:27pm On Jan 27, 2013
Must there be a motivation other than exploring your creativity??

Chapter one.
Richard's like a typical ill lucked Nigerian graduate with a certificate in his hands n no job to look forward to. He's bitter at the way things turned out for him cos like everyone else he's probably painted a rosy picture in his mind of how perfect things will get once he's out of school; maybe a good paying job, great house, posh ride n oh a pretty lady in his arms; such a slap to wait all these years afterwards n still not have any of that. Then rude Abigail walks into the picture. Lol snotty rich girl who has probably never experienced hardship of any form calling him a thief even though she dropped her purse unknowingly. That girl is mannerless n clearly lacks manner of approach. If Richard were some crazy headed thief, she might aswell kiss her belongings good bye after that act...hmm even a sane person who has never stolen a pen from someone would consider it after being spoken to in such a manner.
So, Richard. It's not enough that he has the problem of being jobless/penniless, he now has some girl speak to him as she likes(bruised ego?)...what's next? I have to rob someone. I mean rob enough to get up to the standard that no body would dare speak to him the way Abby did ever again.
Richard also has a foul temper..that's evident in this chapter; could be nature or as a result of his condition...i guess we're yet to find out smiley.
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by UjSizzle(f): 7:41pm On Jan 27, 2013
Pardon me if I'm mixing up the chapters a bit. Working from memory here.

Chapter 2.
Richard learns he's the son of a thief, a rapist. That's one harsh blow in my opinion, to find out on a day when you've thought it couldn't get worse than being insulted by a small girl.
It's quite a touching and peculiar tale too: falling in love with a man who rendered your family penniless n raped you? The height of madness. But then it's said you can't decide who to fall in love with right? If her father had caught her with that lovey-dovey spark in her eyes just when they're mourning their poverty, I'm sure he would have slapped the stars out of her grin.
I wonder how Richard felt hearing his mom say she loved his father, how silly it must have sounded. Women don't love the man who steals their dignity, do they? This family must have 'crawzy' running in their veins. Armed robber/rapist dad, psycho mom, and now the poor boy thinks he has gotten some pretty mucked up genes in him(i would too).

I hope everything eventually turns out well for him because I'd hate to see this young man in prison for doing something really insane.
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by Nobody: 10:16pm On Feb 13, 2013
Chapter 3
At last we get to meet the brand of cain and look who we have here,Abigail the rude lady from the other day.
Life is definitely full of coincidences and fate.look where fate took him to and voila he finds the rich pretty rude woman again oh what a coincidence!
I think this cain man just takes out his ugliness on people whenever he gets the chance or maybe it's as a result of a rough childhood.
I cannot help but wonder how such man ended up with such pretty woman as we were told but i don't want to believe it had to do with his wealth.
I guess this is the point the brand of cain is unveiled.
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by Nobody: 10:00pm On Feb 24, 2013
It seems i'm the only one enjoying this novel anyway here's my contribution once again:
Chapter 4
So there's actually someone tougher than cain martins,who would have thought that cain had someone who could defeat him apart from God and equally as annoying as him.only that it's his ugliness that has no comparison,he seems to be the numero uno in that aspect.
How can someone be as cold as these two men,just tongue-lashing anyone for fun,how convenient.
Michael kish seems to have done well for himself too,except that his tongue lashing skills was revived on his reunion with his beastly friend cain and they both did justice to the helpless Richard who could not make it early for his first day at work.
Chapter 5
Now we are getting into the psychology of old rugged cain,i have a feeling he had a pinch of love for his late wife,Rita, before she died but the incident that happened during her life time with the molester contributes to the bitterness that has built up in him,we also get to know the source of wealth.At least now we know it's not money ritual he did to build his wealth.
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by LarrySun(m): 10:34pm On Feb 24, 2013
Wow! I've nearly forgotten totally about the discussions, been quite preoccupied with some other issues.

Chapter Three:
This portrays the desperate Richard finding himself knocking at a gate for a job least befitting for his academic status. However, a consolement came rather when he beheld the lady with whom he had been particularly fond. This didn't last long though, as he was later confronted by a very ugly Cain, the antagonist of the novel, I presume.

Chapter Four:
Here, a new character has been introduced, and quite a delightful one at that. This brings my mind to the popular saying of unlike poles. Barrister Kish was an opposite physical image of the legendary Cain Martins, and it's quite ironic to realize that this seemingly harmless lawyer is one man in the world whom Cain feared. There appear to be something about this new character than meets the eye. Granted, he showed Cain hell back in high school, but I'm thinking his countenance his more daring than the schoolboy of years before.
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by LarrySun(m): 11:27pm On Feb 24, 2013
Wow! I've nearly forgotten totally about the discussions, been quite preoccupied with some other issues.

Chapter Three:
This portrays the desperate Richard finding himself knocking at a gate for a job least befitting for his academic status. However, a consolement came rather when he beheld the lady with whom he had been particularly fond. This didn't last long though, as he was later confronted by a very ugly Cain, the antagonist of the novel, I presume.

Chapter Four:
Here, a new character has been introduced, and quite a delightful one at that. This brings my mind to the popular saying of unlike poles. Barrister Kish was an opposite physical image of the legendary Cain Martins, and it's quite ironic to realize that this seemingly harmless lawyer is one man in the world whom Cain feared. There appear to be something about this new character than meets the eye. Granted, he showed Cain hell back in high school, but I'm thinking his countenance his more daring than the schoolboy of years before. And Richard getting entangled in-between these two giants won't spell peace in the least. Maybe he should have read that signboard in the first place.

Chapter Five:
It seems like the writer was trying to build a history for every character in the story. This chapter concentrates mostly on the affairs of the gateman, it shows that even the feeble-looking old man has much more arrow in his quiver than any other character. He's had the most amazing adventure; he is an ex-soldier who has fought in the Biafra, and he's sent robbers to their early grave. What has poor Richard gotten himself into?
Re: The Book Discussion Club#nairaland# by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 03, 2013
Chapter 6
Oh tell me this did not happen,Richard kissed Abigail what! All in the name of consolation?
He just stepped on the cobra's tail and i hope he knows that.
I knew there was more to the Abigail story than meets the eye,can you imagine! What a life! It must be hell for her sha,living with that beast with no choice whatsoever.
What a pity(smh).

Chapter 7
I think the nightmares just started for Richard because he just saw a live horror movie in the martins' lives.
Did he really think the beastly Cain would not know his wife was missing for the short period she was gone for? Really?,oh please,even a normal human being would have noticed not to talk of oga cain.
Now he has gone for a few days of which i suspect it'd be a trap for Richard if he doesn't tread softly.
Ah sweet mother,mama Richard, she also had a nightmare concerning her son afterall she carried him in her womb for 9months and i know it's a note of warning to him.
This story is getting hotter.boss and actor tinz (excuse me english).

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Story Of My Transformation - (a Werewolf Tale) By Marryjoanna / Searching For Hope (you can now vote without registering) / MY Sorrow(short Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.