Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,861 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:51 AM

Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO (39850 Views)

Durability And Maintenance Of Volvo S80 / Volvo Develops Crash-proof Car / How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by doyin1985(m): 5:37pm On Feb 18, 2013
Volvo cars are sleek on d road...especially d S70 models....I neva liked volvo @ 1st, buh deres notin like u driving a volvo car...3 out of our cars are volvo's...its fuel consumptiont is low and d parts are @ ladipo...dnt mind your mechanic or oda fellas tellin u crap abt volvo cars...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 18, 2013
I currently drive one at the moment. Volvo brands are one of the most rugged automobile in the U.S. They don't break down like the Japanese. They are built to last for 20-30 years if well maitained. I have never done any major repairs except to do oil change and brake pads replacements. I am in the process of getting volvo XC90 2010. You can't go wrong with old or new volvo.

Don't listen to all these know nothing Nigerian mechanics that refuse to upgrade their knowledge. I can't stand these thugs called Nigerian mechanics. They just don't know shi.t.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by chimaobikanu(m): 6:42pm On Feb 18, 2013
One of the best volvo models i've come across is the xc60! I drive the 2010 model. Best suv ever made! Guys, those people still make good cars, why not give them a try. My opinion though.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Osyxcel(m): 6:49pm On Feb 18, 2013
Imanuelle: Volvo be like moving casket.....

And if e jam person, no two ways, d person go enter casket.

U no go kill person wit laff....

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Osyxcel(m): 6:57pm On Feb 18, 2013
I tink the latest Volvos out dere ar very much okay, I do come across them, and they don't make noise any longer....the new models are sleek and strong...

If U're lukin' for modesty, decency, conveniency and durability....I tink Volvo is ok

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nobody: 6:58pm On Feb 18, 2013
Most people speak here out of their old school knowledge of Volvo in Nigeria.Volvo now make alot of classy cars and i believe most of them are not shipped to Nigeria because of the poor acceptance over there.I just bought a Volvo XC60 2012 model.That car is sleeky and have been using it for like five months now.The engine is second to none and its easy to maintain provided you take it for servicing when due.Just sold my S60 2010 model to my kid sister.I used it for about two years and there was no fault.One catching thing about their cars is the lush leather seats that will send you wow when you seat on them.They are also easy to afford,you don't need to break the bank to get one.Bro go for it and those of 2000-2006 are quite affordable and not common cars in Nigeria so it will make you stand out when you drive it

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Jobig(m): 7:16pm On Feb 18, 2013
simply we nigerian like something that is moving,what i mean is in terms of customership.Volve is a goo product.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nobody: 7:37pm On Feb 18, 2013
mrkels: LOL, do they still produce those cars? Menn...Chairman go buy your self a mercedes and enjoy luxury for life . to hell with all these useless toys from japan.

#Benzfamily4life cheesy
volvo is made in Sweden, not japan

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by fuckluv(f): 7:52pm On Feb 18, 2013
@OP, Some Volvo cars are exciting to drive. It's just that most of its backseat isn't as comfortable as the front seat. Legroom or footroom for adult much taller is very tight but Acura TL is optionable. I drive the volvo S40 which is not that exciting to drive but its very classy and has lots of space inside, the boot is small and shallow and it has simple heating controls. U can try the new 2013 Volvo XC60 or 2013 S60 which is very comfortable and sporty-like. U know different taste for different folks though.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by vanunu: 8:02pm On Feb 18, 2013
How expensive are these Volvo cars?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by InvertedHammer: 8:22pm On Feb 18, 2013
I had a 2003 S60. Very nice car. I drove full tank of gas from Lagos and had to top off at Onitsha. I liked the car...

Issues:

1. The interior leather is known for easy tear and wear.
2. Transmission problem...I changed the tranny twice in 1 year (being toks automatic, anything could happen)

Considerations:
The one I bought was an accident car. So, that could have contributed to the other little issues I had with it.
But transmission issues are common with the S60 as I learned from chatting with other Volvo owners in an online forum.

Otherwise, it is a car I would recommend to anyone.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nobody: 8:45pm On Feb 18, 2013
If i wld buy a sedan vehicle....its volvo all the way...the s40,60&80 are beast on the road...with a cool engine and noiseless if maintained......the luxury is superb...the Gears,security,engine na baba...the style...the respect it commands for people who know the stuff it is made of....Go for it....u wont regret it...provided u are ready for it prompt and regular maintenance

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nightshift(m): 8:49pm On Feb 18, 2013
Volvo cars are one of the best vehicles in the world of people who appreciate great cars. Unfortunately, Nigerians do not belong to that category . I've got a Volvo C70, 2000 model with 240hp. It has 9 speakers and a subwoofer, all original High-end Hifi from Dynaudio. It's gonna be my oldtimer in 20 years time. It's the only car i have fallen in love with, beside my Münchner(BMW). Collin Powell loves Volvo as well!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by ujukala: 9:20pm On Feb 18, 2013
Osyxcel:

U no go kill person wit laff....
I don't normally read about cars but this guy is very funny!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by spartanian(m): 9:21pm On Feb 18, 2013
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by benzion72(m): 9:40pm On Feb 18, 2013
Volvo lack fuel economy. I remembered as a gradute trainee I bought a Nissan Primera and a colleague bought Volvo we both leave in egbeda side in Lagos and work on marina street. If I bought 1500 fuel then I will use it Monday to Friday with my Primera but my colleague 1500 fuels will be finished by Tuesday evening. Maybe cause it is always too heavy with a very long chasis lol
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nobody: 10:51pm On Feb 18, 2013
benzion72: Volvo lack fuel economy. I remembered as a gradute trainee I bought a Nissan Primera and a colleague bought Volvo we both leave in egbeda side in Lagos and work on marina street. If I bought 1500 fuel then I will use it Monday to Friday with my Primera but my colleague 1500 fuels will be finished by Tuesday evening. Maybe cause it is always too heavy with a very long chasis lol

You are making me laugh bro. What is the engine size of your nissan and engine size of the volvo? Engine size and cylinder determines fuel consumption. It is just absolutely lie that your friend buys full tank for his volvo on monday and finished by tuesday. Please, tell me another lie.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Ikenna351(m): 11:17pm On Feb 18, 2013
benzion72: Volvo lack fuel economy. I remembered as a gradute trainee I bought a Nissan Primera and a colleague bought Volvo we both leave in egbeda side in Lagos and work on marina street. If I bought 1500 fuel then I will use it Monday to Friday with my Primera but my colleague 1500 fuels will be finished by Tuesday evening. Maybe cause it is always too heavy with a very long chasis lol

Take a step back, go through what you stated above and see if it make sense, even to you? Even a primary School pupil would be specific when describing a car his teacher drives. Even as a kid back then, I knew about Volvo 244, 240, 740, 760, etc. If you could know the model of your Nissan, then its too childish to state here just "Volvo", as if they don't have city cars, V6 or I6 cars. Are you telling us their fuel consumption are supposed to be the same? In that case, all Nissans fuel consumption should also be the same with Primera. Meaning, even Altima, Maxima, Murano, Quest, Xterra, etc, should have the same fuel consumption with Primera. Should we talk about Xterra then? That owners complain and regard as one of the most Gas guzzler SUV on Earth. Google it and find out, if you doubt.

Next time, try and be objective.

Ikenna

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Burch(m): 11:19pm On Feb 18, 2013
I own a volvo V40 which is the wagon of S40 and I must commend the manufacturers of that ride because it is not only durable but have a wonderful suspension and shocks which is an advantage for our roads. The economy rate is month watering because I use as little as 15litres to and from port harcourt/ owerri. Just to educate you on my experience with volvo. The choice is yours.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nobody: 11:21pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ikenna351:

Take a step back, go through what you stated above and see if it make sense, even to you? Even a primary School pupil would be specific when describing a car his teacher drives. Even as a kid back then, I knew about Volvo 244, 240, 740, 760, etc. If you could know the model of your Nissan, then its too childish to state here just "Volvo", as if they don't have city cars, V6, I6 & V8 cars. Are you telling us their fuel consumption are supposed to be same? In that case, all Nissans fuel consumption should also be the same with Primera. Meaning, even Altima, Maxima, Murano, Quest, Xterra, etc. Should we talk about Nissan Xterra then, that owners complain and regard as one of the most Gas guzzler SUV on Earth. Google it and find out, if you doubt.

Next time, be objective.

Ikenna

I was wondering with his write-up myself. His writing is exactly the view of many Nigerians. A country where all SUVs are regarded as jeep and all toothpaste as maclean.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Biolaem: 11:31pm On Feb 18, 2013
tiwasiaife: Volve is made in sweden and not japan.
mr TOO KNOW. It used 2 b sweden now sold 2 Geely an asian company.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by ahiarah: 2:17am On Feb 19, 2013
Ijogz K: Me self I dey wonder ohhhh, na so mumsy Mechanice discouraged us when we were about buying one very clean Tokunbo S60 2008 or 07 can't remember..

E pain me sha, but went for EOD sha

@ijogz kunle.....lol
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Kesmakveli(m): 3:48am On Feb 19, 2013
My dear, I wil advise if ur interested in buying a Volvo car, go for d Latest Volvo models.. Cos d old models are fuel drinkers,Noisemakers and also not beautifuli endowed(all these are part of d reasons Nigerians get scared of). Tanks
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nobody: 6:05am On Feb 19, 2013
payless:

I was wondering with his write-up myself. His writing is exactly the view of many Nigerians. A country where all SUVs are regarded as jeep and all toothpaste as maclean.
You got me cracking there.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by JoeboyEbuka(m): 6:30am On Feb 19, 2013
I drive my papa 240dl til we seel am..d motor no for one day stop me 4 road..i'm a big fan of volvo...d motor heavy..e get balance die..volvo lä pàssíón dè lè qúalìty
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nobody: 6:58am On Feb 19, 2013
Nadoson:

bros, ur opinion is best 2 u. Pipl wit dia own thoughts. One tin u shud undstnd is pipl of nowdays are goin 4 COMFORTABITY only & put away DURABILITY.
Pipl nw says Mercedez, Volvo & Peugo are not on line anymor but 2 me, im doubtin dem cos as a mechanical engineering graduate, i can pruv 2 dem wit many resons also tel dem d merits & demerits on dem. So broda, if u want a full durable & Averag comfortbty, u shud folow ur heart. Gud luk.
see your english
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by ektbear: 7:10am On Feb 19, 2013
Funny thing is my dad is a big volvo fan. So I'm surprised that Nigerians in general don't like it..?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Exponental(m): 10:14am On Feb 19, 2013
I think it has 2 do with d old belief(s) that d brand was not fuel economical, noisy n heavy. There is definitely improvement. Just like Benz, models from C-class are economical. No manufacturer will sit on his achievements and not look forward to improving on what in has in d competitive market.
Almost all mechanics are conversant with Japanese cars which makes them attractive to buy.
One major point I will consider before buying any car/brand is its availablity of mechanics/part ......but I love benz n bmw anyday anytime.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by FabulousAutos(m): 11:47am On Feb 19, 2013
I planned buying the XC90 but after checking the review, I was kindha dissapointed. My findings shows that this model is plagued with transmission issues which costs around $4,500 - $6,00 to replace. Dunno of other brands.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by muslak: 12:19pm On Feb 19, 2013
i believe strongly in volvo products. you can just put your mind at rest at any volvo you are able to buy.
we had a grandpa that used volvo 240 for more than 20yrs and it was still ok. if you wanna start as a first time user,
you can begin with 850 type or S70.readily available at Alhaji Amusa in ladipo market by daleko mkt. spare parts and mechanics are there loaded with up to date knowledge. i can give you up to ten mechanics and ibo man spare part that would give you reliable and considerable parts and price respectively. Given the fuel consumption, personally i drive volvo 850,which uses 27 to 30ltrs from lagos to kwara on good speed. i have EOD new as at then,that used up to 40ltrs from lagos to ife.u can just imagine. if you drive volvo, you are free from all molestation and embarrassment from police
and all sort. u live a cool life without attracting unnecessary attention to yourself
The mechanics at ladipo
Eru 08023839827.
you can try volvo crosscountry, you can equally check online what volvo is made for....SAFETY

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Senate Uncovers Cargoes Loaded With Cars Abandoned For Decade / Innoson Unveils Its Fire Fighting Truck - Photos / Top 5 TGIF Cars Spotted In Nigeria (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.