Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,713 members, 7,805,939 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? (23247 Views)

Parents Send Soldiers To Beat Guests At Son's Wedding / Sending Your Children To Boarding Schools More Dangerous Than You Can Imagine. / What Tactics Do Parents Employ To Stop Their Kids From Bedwetting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by dayokanu(m): 4:28pm On Jan 19, 2013
jidegirl12:

I was just listening to KS while replying the post.....Mid thirties bro .... Ofcourse I got the AD, The Boys, MC Hammer posters in my room then grin

I broke a leg roller skating was it Hammer or I can't remember again. grin

Nothing like good old days ..... grin

So you too grew in the days of Hip hop hurray, Kris Kross, SHabaranks, Mad cobra, Supercat, Patra, Keith Sweat etc Which school did you attend in Ibadan
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by biolabee(m): 5:03pm On Jan 19, 2013
^^^^ What of Geto Boyz My Minds Playing Tricks on Me

Blacky Nyanshman , Junior & Pretty etc
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by ezicat: 5:10pm On Jan 19, 2013
I went to boarding school - an all girls, Federal school. For those saying boarding school teaches you independence...since when? Sure, you have to do things by yourselves, but you don't decide your own schedule, do you? It's decided for you. You go with the flow; you look around and do what everyone else is doing. That is NOT independence. It's a perfect case of Monkey see; Monkey do. Is that what we want for our future leaders, lawyers, doctors, sales people etc To follow the crowd? To do what everyone else is doing? Because, last time I checked, the average Nigerian wants change; not the same ol status quo.

This topic certainly warrants a discussion of our educational system as a whole. Are we still applying the ancient educational model we inherited from colonizers? While their systems continue to evolve and change; while their young students are increasingly taught critical thinking, community awareness and improvement, are we still going to school only to learn 1 + 1; sentence construction; protons, electrons and neutrons? Are our young peoples now taught anything of our history before colonization? Are they taught the dynamics of development and where Africa stands in that spectrum and what to DO about it? Are they taught the reality of employment (or lack thereof) after they graduate, and how to become enterpreneurs and trades people (in addition to Math, Science, English etc); are there open forums discussing our societal ills and how we can change them for the better?

I didn't pick up any vices from boarding school; but I didn't pick up any good habits either - not really; nothing that wasn't a normal part of growing up. I certainly did NOT pick up critical thinking. Not until much later in life.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Osareime(f): 6:29pm On Jan 19, 2013
Sagamite:

I personally would like my kids to face some slight hardship in school, not have everything laid out for them. That is not the world they would be pushed out to eventually, especially in Nigeria.

That is just my preference.

Everything was not so easy. There was discipline. Detention if you fail to do morning duties, if you were late, if you broke school rules. And the detention wasn't fun. You learnt to study, and you learnt to use your time wisely. You learnt valuable life lessons that is my point.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by 7842I: 6:33pm On Jan 19, 2013
Osareime:

Everything was not so easy. There was discipline. Detention if you fail to do morning duties, if you were late, if you broke school rules. And the detention wasn't fun. You learnt to study, and you learnt to use your time wisely. You learnt valuable life lessons that is my point.

Kneel down! Lie down! stand on your locker! Run from there! Angle 90 degrees! Jump like a toad!
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Osareime(f): 6:39pm On Jan 19, 2013
Find Out!:

Yes, the LJC ajeburrer sec school alumni are here.lol.
But really, your secondary school is one of the best in Nigeria presently. I've seen products of that school & I'm over-impressed. I'm sure less than 10 percent of your classmates are schooling in Nigeria & a good number of those outside are in really good schools.

& no offence o, but is we call LJC a boarding house, what do we call the FGCs? jungle house? loool. Miss, ur school was home away from home smiley

No offence taken. No matter how comfortable it was, it wasn't home and you learnt that you wouldn't always be at home.

Yes the academic life was very good. They never used book to play.I love that school. Proud to be an alumni of LJC.

The only bad thing is that they make females cut their hair. But it was a beautiful experience.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Osareime(f): 6:55pm On Jan 19, 2013
I advocate for boarding schools because children at that age need to learn to deal with all kinds of characters. When a child is a day student they do not learn TOLERANCE the way those in boarding house will.

The beauty of boarding house is that you learn from teachers but learn also from your peers from so many different backgrounds.

I know for one I learnt to deal with different people differently, I learnt to speak up for myself, I learnt to mix social life, sports and academics to excel in all.

I learnt the importance of looking tidy, organised and being responsible for myself.

For homosexuality one has to guard and pick one that doesn't allow for that.
In my boarding house we didn't use bunks and two people sharing a bed was one of the most serious offences one could commit. It was grounds for suspension or even expulsion.

Even at home a child could learn bad character. I would rather allow my child learn early to be responsible and be able to deal with peer pressure.

A good boarding house is a very good experience I would advice every parent to take advantage of.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Sagamite(m): 7:12pm On Jan 19, 2013
Osareime:

Sounds good. I just hope they can remain like that in the long run and don't increasingly get funky.

For all the Adesoye college, Crisland and Atlantic hall places that made parents pay through their nose for their kids back in the day so the kids can have a funky life, I am yet to see the results. They just paid exorbitant school fees for their kids to eat ice cream, jollof rice, speak phone and dance like P. Diddy. Unlike LJC, I don't recall any of them ending up in top unis.

Osareime: I advocate for boarding schools because children at that age need to learn to deal with all kinds of characters. When a child is a day student they do not learn TOLERANCE the way those in boarding house will.

The beauty of boarding house is that you learn from teachers but learn also from your peers from so many different backgrounds.

I know for one I learnt to deal with different people differently, I learnt to speak up for myself, I learnt to mix social life, sports and academics to excel in all.

I learnt the importance of looking tidy, organised and being responsible for myself.

For homosexuality one has to guard and pick one that doesn't allow for that.
In my boarding house we didn't use bunks and two people sharing a bed was one of the most serious offences one could commit. It was grounds for suspension or even expulsion.

Even at home a child could learn bad character. I would rather allow my child learn early to be responsible and be able to deal with peer pressure.

A good boarding house is a very good experience I would advice every parent to take advantage of.

So well said.

I never learnt the tidy side. I learnt how to tell juniors to do it for me though. grin
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by sekzy99(m): 6:37am On Jan 20, 2013
My school has d best boardin facilities in d whole of alimosho.SOUNDHOPE PRIVATE ACADEMY -BARUWA/IPAJA LAGOS STATE
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by warrior01: 8:05am On Jan 20, 2013
delors:
FGC Ijanikin is like a private school fr the ajebutters...we r talking about FGCs in rainforest areas,public secondary schools in Ibadan, Jos, Kaduna, Ede, etc where life is really defined by 'hell'...where u cannot easily run home to mummy...where 'rejects' are sent to torture other students...where visiting is just once in a month for the lucky ones...where u must never tell ur dad dat a senior beat the hell out of u unless u wan die...where as a junior, u 'll never know the real names of all the seniors except nicknames like -
Lagos Boy, Hottest, Omiata,
Fada bunky, Niran United,
Kabuki, Long nose, Spere,
Stand well well, Ijamba (disaster),
denden Buller, Sangobiyi, Jazzinho,
Ogun-ajo, Papinto, etc
(Any Loyola College student of old in da house?)
Loyola college- the best in everyway
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Originalsly: 12:55pm On Jan 20, 2013
If people ask me about my child ...do you want me to say my child is doing well in public school...rubbing shoulders with the riff-raffs? That would not be living up to the expectations of my high class....and if I am low low class that would show I have no ambition for my child to ever move up in class.Then my ego...maybe you don't have one...but I have above average and humble pie was never on my menu.I don't care what my child learns...academics or vices...I don't care if my child learns...all I care is that I am proud to let everyone that has ears to hear that my child goes to Boarding School...just like the children of the Royal Family!
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by chessguru1(m): 7:57pm On Jan 20, 2013
Am a proud product of Saint Gregory's college ikoyi. My late dad also schooled there in the early 50's and was boarder there and pretty much all the kids in my family.
And yes we all turned out amazingly the way my mother planned.
All I can say is that your secondary school experience is not complete if u didn't have the balls to go through boarding school.
The bond u form with some of the friends you meet there is priceless and can last a lifetime(only people who went thru boarding school will understand this)
About learning bad stuff, all I can say is that most of the stuff mentioned is true, but a bad child will be a bad child, all that matters is opportunity.
They say what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. That's what it did to me and I will ever be great all lessons I learned.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Mar 03, 2013
sekzy99: My school has d best boardin facilities in d whole of alimosho.SOUNDHOPE PRIVATE ACADEMY -BARUWA/IPAJA LAGOS STATE
I LAUGH AT YOU. DOREGOS PRIVATE ACADEMY?
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by chic2007: 10:57am On Apr 25, 2013
Duke_Nija: Boarding Schools used to be an opportunity for children to be independent, well trained and disciplined, well, that was back in the 90's.

Parents need to realise that boarding schools here in Nigeria are not what they used to be. Innocent Children are exposed to harsh conditions which they have to adapt to, sometimes costing them their Values.

A Close friend just revealed to me how his first sexual experience was with a Male Senior in his Boarding school. Its was a really sad story.

Another asked me why I don't drink, and I said "I don't know".
He said he started drinking in Jss2 while in boarding school.
He's from a good Family.

A third(Female presently in SS1) was smoking and drinking at this xmas party, and I was disturbed by her age. She then revealed to me that she was in boarding school, where she learnt stuffs.

Let me not even talk of how disorganised, uncordinated and lost my kid brother was back at Ijanikin. Thank God he didn't pick those afformentioned vices and was pulled out on time. He's a Fantastic Engineering student now.
His problems stopped immediated he left.

There is something terribly wrong with boarding schools in Nigeria, especially Public schools. Homosexuality is a near lifestyle in same-sex schools, and its not any better with mixed schools where Students are taught to drink, smoke, steal and do all sorts of lewd acts to get going.

Scaling of Fence is fun, at least you get to spend the night out.
Kids are abused, bullied and what not.
Innocent Children are exposed to riff-raffs who rob them of all their morals.
Leaving your child at the mercy of strangers, both students and teachers is unjustifiable.

Whatever can be learnt at school, can be learnt better at home with the aid, love, care, protection of Parents.

Parents no matter how busy they claim to be, will still have some few moments with the Kids everyday.
Much more on weekends.

Someone pls tell me I'm wrong and overreacting which I'm sure I'm not.

You are totally right. The boarding house training we got in those days is totally different from what we have today. I went to boarding house between 1979 - 1984 but I have refused to let my kids do the same. The reasons you have listed above are very cogent. I don't want to shirk my responsibility of raising them. The ages of 10 - 16 are very crucial- pre teens - full blown teenagers. I don't want my kids learning wrong things from their peers or being taught values by some adults who may not know better. I believe it is my responsibility as a mum, to train them.My husband tries but I feel the major responsibility, as a mum, lies with me.

I monitor them at home, know all their friends and parents, monitor their after school activities, keep an eye on their school work and also ensure that they carry out chores. For my teens, I can safely say that I know what they are capable of doing. We have really bonded well. Of course, we have the usual teenage tantrums or teenage/parent arguments but at the end of the day, I know I am raising good kids with core moral values.

I get a lot of commendation from other parents, my in laws and their teachers on my children's behaviour so I know I must be doing something right. I want to ensure that I have done all that is expected of me as regards bringing up my kids the right way and pray that they always follow that path because we can only do our best and leave the rest to God.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 1:10am On Apr 26, 2013
When I have my kids, they are going to NO BOARDING SCHL...! angry... End of story...
I cant afford not to be part of their everyday lives and growing up.. smiley kiss
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 3:18am On Apr 27, 2013
Amelian: When I have my kids, they are going to NO BOARDING SCHL...! angry... End of story...
I cant afford not to be part of their everyday lives and growing up.. smiley kiss
[size=18pt]
And IF your husband, the father to HIS kids say they attend a boarding school, you will stand against his wishes because you want to be part of their lives everyday? I was feeble @ 10 yrs when I got to FGC , a blooody hell hole. Our dorms had no windows, doors, 4 yrs we were digging our wells to get water. Insipid food, crazy as.s teachers, bully seniors etc. By my 3rd yr, I was mentally and physically strong and alert.

I tell u, there's more good than harm! I am a living witness.
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 27, 2013
Nah, I can't let them go.... That's just me...I have a younger brother who went to boarding schl and I always shake my head, on his behavior towards people.. And when our parents died, he said one fateful day, that they never loved him that's why they took him away to a boarding school , and thats y he wont ever forgive my mum for that action.. at least she could have made our dad see reason of not taking him to a boarding schl... he taunted our poor mum , till she had a heart failure and died.... cry... No matter, how I tried to make him see reason, he won't hear oo...he said , I and my youngest brother who stayed back at home, enjoyed so well... He resents us too .
He is so stubborn, so rude, so arrogant, lord! ...
Abeg, no boarding school for my kids... My husband must see reason... He has to. sad
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 9:31am On Apr 28, 2013
Amelian: Nah, I can't let them go.... That's just me...I have a younger brother who went to boarding schl and I always shake my head, on his behavior towards people.. And when our parents died, he said one fateful day, that they never loved him that's why they took him away to a boarding school , and thats y he wont ever forgive my mum for that action.. at least she could have made our dad see reason of not taking him to a boarding schl... he taunted our poor mum , till she had a heart failure and died.... cry... No matter, how I tried to make him see reason, he won't hear oo...he said , I and my youngest brother who stayed back at home, enjoyed so well... He resents us too .
He is so stubborn, so rude, so arrogant, lord! ...
Abeg, no boarding school for my kids... My husband must see reason... He has to. sad

YOU STILL HAVEN'T TOLD ME WHAT YOU WILL DO IF YOUR HUSBAND INSISTS.
AND WHAT IF YOUR CHILD(REN) SHOWS INTEREST IN BOARDING SCH LIKE I DID?
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 28, 2013
If my husband insist, I will talk to him and make him realize my fears...he will listen, cause i wont marry a blockhead, whose mindset will suround taking crucial decisions like this on his own, without listening to me... i wont marry a dictator, simple! and if any of my kids insist , fine but I doubt they will cheesy..especially in his or her young tender age.. Like nursery, primary or secondary? Nah, they won't fancy the idea..even though am not married yet with kids, I believe beyond doubt, my kids would always want to be around me...my love is intoxicating cheesy.....except heading to higher institution, then yea...they can go anywhere they want...at least my invaluable values will be instill in their brains.
And no one can be able to influence them, especially bad influence.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 10:39am On Apr 28, 2013
Amelian: If my husband insist, I will talk to him and make him realize my fears...he will listen, cause i wont marry a blockhead, whose mindset will suround taking crucial decisions like this on his own, without listening to me... i wont marry a dictator, simple! and if any of my kids insist , fine but I doubt they will cheesy..especially in his or her young tender age.. Like nursery, primary or secondary? Nah, they won't fancy the idea..even though am not married yet with kids, I believe beyond doubt, my kids would always want to be around me...my love is intoxicating cheesy.....except heading to higher institution, then yea...they can go anywhere they want...at least my invaluable values will be instill in their brains.
And no one can be able to influence them, especially bad influence.

I HEAR YOU MA. Hope your wishes are fulfilled, have a great day.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by buccunmie(m): 5:57pm On May 03, 2013
banttieman:
[size=18pt]
And IF your husband, the father to HIS kids say they attend a boarding school, you will stand against his wishes because you want to be part of their lives everyday? I was feeble @ 10 yrs when I got to FGC Ikirun in Osun state, a blooody hell hole. Our dorms had no windows, doors, 4 yrs we were digging our wells to get water. Insipid food, crazy as.s teachers, bully seniors etc. By my 3rd yr, I was mentally and physically strong and alert.

I tell u, there's more good than harm! I am a living witness.
[/size]
Dats my alma-mata. Boarding house is d best.it prepares u for higher institution.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 11:07pm On May 03, 2013
buccunmie:
Dats my alma-mata. Boarding house is d best.it prepares u for higher institution.

[size=18pt]Did you attend FGC Ikirun for real? What grad set are u?[/size]
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by buccunmie(m): 11:58pm On May 03, 2013
banttieman:

[size=18pt]Did you attend FGC Ikirun for real? What grad set are u?[/size]
Yh, 07
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by femikings(m): 8:53am On Oct 08, 2013
boarding house my foot,some parents do this to free themselves so they can have time for their biz and leisure no wonder they loose their children,i remember when i was at olivet baptist high school oyo,the first thief we caught breaking lockers was the son of one time minister for health in this country,boarding house is also a dumping ground for some parents,children they can not cope with they send there..... read this it will bless you as a parents or to be parents@tfkspeaks: Training is useless if you are not determined to win your match,parents, training a child is good but not enough ,please step up to wining your kids,I love to watch football, I see lots of teams train and train Even spend lot of money during training ,like the supper Eagles of my country Nigeria will do, yet when they get on the pitch you see nonchalant attitude as if they are not ready to win the match.

I liken this to the attitude of most parents we have now they do every thing to train their children,pay school fees,buy gift,provide food and shelter,buy phones.etc but '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' click on the link below to read complete article-
http://parentalbreakthrough.com/2013/10/training-paren…-are-you-up-to
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by sisiafrika(f): 9:52pm On Jul 22, 2015
Osareime:
I went to a private boarding school in Abuja and it was beautiful. There was no bullying because the management was American and Nigerians trained in America. At a point teachers were not even allowed to tell students to kneel down. The food was good. We ate 5 times a day and good food. (not home quality but good).

Ice cream, salads, drinks, yogurts, chicken and many others were normal. The bathrooms were always clean, hot water flowed in harmattan. It wasn't home but it was comfortable.

The students were from good homes. I made many many good friends there.

The academic life was great. We had the best WAEC result for years.

Nice programs and events that I look back now and really appreciate.

Although I lost a lot of classmates in a plane crash in 2005, (RIP angels), I loved my boarding school experience.

I would love for my children to have an experience like that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kneeling Down To Beg Your Spouse After A Fight. / Battle For Child Custody For A Deceased Friend / Thread For Single Mothers/ Fathers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.