Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,954 members, 7,806,761 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? (5550 Views)

Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? / Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? / Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by Seun(m): 1:41pm On Mar 01, 2008
Once upon a time, pirated Hollywood movies used to cost 200 naira while original Nollywood ones used to cost 350 naira or so. The price difference was minimal and most people had no problems buying Nollywood movies from time to time.

Now that it's possible to get a DVD with 12 to 16 movies for about 300 naira, the cost of a single pirated Hollywood movie is now effectively 20 naira or so. And the video quality is the same as the quality of Nigerian movies on VCD.

How can Nigerian movies compete with this price? I don't think they can.

I wonder if this is already affecting the local movie industry in a big way, because it seems to me that it should. Once most people get DVD players, are we doomed?

(Of course, ad-supported business models that allow you to distribute your movies for free may still be viable.)
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by Seun(m): 11:43am On Mar 02, 2008
Another food for thought:
Is it not only a matter of time before the pirates start making Nollywood movie jumbo DVDs?
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by 1naijaboy(m): 2:16pm On Mar 02, 2008
Me myself,I think the movie,sorry,home video industry is just a symptom of our neanderthal society.Things are so bad people can hardly eat so who cares about "23 in 1 nollywood blockbusters"?Until the general situation of our country improves,every single facet of our lives will be adversely affected,
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by AKO1(m): 7:49pm On Mar 02, 2008
Is there any legislation in this country against piracy?
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by busygirl(f): 7:51pm On Mar 02, 2008
Nollywood is not doomed . . .They're so clever that they now have nollywood channel in the u.k. it's a 24- hr movie channel that cost £5.99 per month. Nollywood being one of the biggest movie industry in africa has loads of african fans. . .imagine more than half of the africans in u.k subscribing and calculate the amount of pounds they're making. . . . .This have therefore covered their losses.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by Seun(m): 8:26pm On Mar 02, 2008
Is there any legislation in this country against piracy?
Since independence. It is known as the copyright law. Unfortunately, laws don't enforce themselves.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by gidig(m): 8:51pm On Mar 02, 2008
I totally agree with Combrazor. Absolutely! There is no basis for direct comparison. Most foreign film followers I know rarely get interested in our local home videos cos of the lack of content appeal. I buy mostly Yoruba films and even though I pay more for them, it has never bothered me. I also noticed that Nigerians who follow this home videos dont have any complains about their price in comparison with the foreigh DVDs that are available everywhere.

For the local movie producers, it is imperative that they step up their game in every area in order to accomodate the many Nigerians who dont find the quality of their work appealing enough. It is then that we can really talk about any semblance of competition.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by 4Him(m): 9:32pm On Mar 02, 2008
busygirl:

Nollywood is not doomed . . .They're so clever that they now have nollywood channel in the u.k. it's a 24- hr movie channel that cost £5.99 per month. Nollywood being one of the biggest movie industry in africa has loads of african fans. . .imagine more than half of the africans in u.k subscribing and calculate the amount of pounds they're making. . . . .This have therefore covered their losses.

very effective point made here. At a point sales from DVDs wont be the most important source of nollywood's revenue.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by faketan(m): 12:30am On Mar 03, 2008
Yahoo levels
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by zigbo(f): 12:37am On Mar 03, 2008
16!!! that is so not good,its even an insult on the actors an actresses.i must conclude that i think nollywood is doomed. as for dat nollywood on sky they cud do with less repetition for crying out loud. . .
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by blacklion(m): 3:42am On Mar 03, 2008
No thanks to China, generic DVD players are retailing for N3,000 in electronic shops in Lagos. Even brand names like Philips and Samsung now go for less than N10k. Its only a matter of a couple of years before DVD players chase out VCD players completely as the youngsters are now growing up with DVDs and even digital downloads at cybercafes. I see lots of cybercafes around Lagos offering downloading of clips for ipods and high-end cellphones.

In the current business model of Nollywood, the producers actually make their money from the sale of the discs - that's why you have parts 1-4 - and not really the content. This means they have a huge incentive to resist the move to DVD but I suspect its inevitable in the long run.

@busygirl, no be only for naija wey piracy dey - i suspect that nollywood channel in london is a huge piracy scam. its doubtful if they are paying royalties to the producers and artistes in naija
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by adefes(m): 10:24am On Mar 03, 2008
It depends on where your interest is. many people still watch nollywood 24/7 without a single foreign movie. their fans will continue to patronise them even if the price is higher.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by DoubleN(m): 11:51am On Mar 03, 2008
You are Even talking about Buying the Movies when you have a Channel like Africa Magic, what the Heck!
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by grafikdon: 2:49pm On Mar 03, 2008
DoubleN, I heard Africa Magic showcase the most atrocious Nigerian movies because they are too el cheapo to pay for broadcast rights. Africa Magic or Africa prayer, hardcore Nollywood fans will still buy their movies.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by LordReed(m): 3:12pm On Mar 03, 2008
@combrazor
I think the move to serial DVDs will be soon than u think and not by pirates but the producers demselves. It will b a very effective way of reselling old movies repackaged as 'omnibus' artiste issues eg RMD vs KOK type stuff. It will sell cos every1 luvs a good deal.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by powerofmap(m): 1:44am On Mar 04, 2008
blacklion:

no be only for naija wey piracy dey - i suspect that nollywood channel in london is a huge piracy scam. its doubtful if they are paying royalties to the producers and artistes in naija

I agree with you bro it might be a piracy scam because if really the revenue generated from there is getting to the producers/marketer most of them would not be keen to sell Disc instead of movies.

Most of the producers prolong the parts of the movies just to gain more bucks.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by coopedro(m): 2:52pm On Mar 04, 2008
angry
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by FBS: 9:10am On Mar 05, 2008
let them sell 400 films on 1 DVD, but they should pls stop the adverts in-between movies. That is a terrible act. someone should pls talk to them. what sort of business strategy is that?
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by LordReed(m): 9:25am On Mar 05, 2008
combrazor:

the only thing i might disagree with is the fact that Nollywood is driven of selling discs, not *movies* - the producer/marketer wants to sell as many discs as possible, and putting 16 movies on a single disc works against that goal. so it's still a bit dodgy to me.

i don't know.

I agree wit u too but also consider dat these are old movies so will not subject to the same type of profit loss analysis as a nu movie(s) would.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by modupe2: 10:41am On Mar 05, 2008
u people have said it all. But to me, it will not really affect their buinesses. It will only affect the rental services business, which they all kick against. Because people will prefer to buy 16 movies for N300 than renting 1 for N 50.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by software(m): 6:18pm On Mar 05, 2008
May God help this country,
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by LordReed(m): 3:07pm On Mar 07, 2008
modupe2:

u people have said it all. But to me, it will not really affect their buinesses. It will only affect the rental services business, which they all kick against. Because people will prefer to buy 16 movies for N300 than renting 1 for N 50.

Not if is a nu one
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by gidig(m): 7:37pm On Mar 09, 2008
Why cant the Nollywood ( I hate that word!) practitioners try to do it the time tested way of making some of their money through screening the films first before they go to the sit at home audience.

It is even worse here cos they dont get any money from the people who rent their works and really, most of the films are not worth buying in the first place (this may be subjective tho)
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by Uche2nna(m): 8:04pm On Mar 13, 2008
Totally agree with combrazo's point. The market for hollywood and nollywood movies consists of two distinct population. Each population tends to lean heavily onto one and this is not driven by price. I for one would prefer a Will Smith flick anyday to a Ramsey Nouah movie even if they cost the same.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by VeritasInV: 1:32pm On Mar 20, 2008
angry
In all honesty why would any one want to watch Nigerian films?!?!?!?!?!

Most of the films i have seen are shoddy of very poor quality and the actors seem to be of a lower educational ranking.
On top of which many of the ''films'' make light some of the serious issues facing this country. The touch lightly on the subjects of 419 bribbery and corruption but they do not portry an effective image of these things being wrong. Morally and legaly.

Many of the films i have seen are ridiculous and do not follow an even plot line jumping from scene to scene like a rabbit on drugs had been i charge of directing them.

Some and perhaps even a majority of the films i have seen are an abbomination to any film industry.

cry It some times brings a tear to my eye to think that someone actually thought about these films and decided to buy a $20 camera make them with people from the streets and decide its a good film.

There are many inferences to literacy and illiteracy in some of the films i have seen in which a charachter who has travelled ''abroad'' as it is said , returns to the village or town he is from where he begins to behave in a manner not befitting any normal person.

Boasting bragging spending volumes of tape speaking of things whch are imaginery or just made up.
The Character returns with an amount of money which when converted is a fortune here and begins to boast of owning companies and firm or being richer and having a lot more money. In thruth that is all he had after coming back ti Nigeria and spends it all trying to impress fare weather friends.

Many Nigerian films plain and simple may portray a certain aspect of life here but they mostly end up glamourizing many of the negative aspects of being Nigerian.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by maryray(f): 7:40pm On Mar 20, 2008
@ Seun, Thanks this is so true. Since independence.
It is known as the copyright law. Unfortunately, laws don't enforce themselves.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by maryray(f): 7:41pm On Mar 20, 2008
my dear, if you actually believe that even a penny of the revenue brought in by this so-called "Nollywood channel" goes back to Nollywood, i have a tower in Paris i am interested in selling to you!

O boy u too much!.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by maryray(f): 7:47pm On Mar 20, 2008
totally agree with Combrazor. Absolutely! There is no basis for direct comparison. Most foreign film followers I know rarely get interested in our local home videos because of the lack of content appeal. I buy mostly Yoruba films and even though I pay more for them, it has never bothered me. I also noticed that Nigerians who follow this home videos don't have any complains about their price in comparison with the foreigh DVDs that are available everywhere.
This is so true, in one of the rental place i go to, the rental guy used to BEG! me to take 3 foreign movies for just 20naira!. There is little or no comparison btw foreign and African movies. Honestly, the last time i paid for foreign movie was like, hmmmmmmmmmmmm cant recall, but African was like today.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by maryray(f): 7:56pm On Mar 20, 2008
It depends on where your interest is. many people still watch nollywood 24/7 without a single foreign movie. their fans will continue to patronise them even if the price is higher

This is so true, count me in. If someone offered me 3 foreign movies for 20naira and i refused and went 4 d expensive home videos, then no matter d price i'm there. Given a choice, i would rather watch African, African, etc, and when they are out of stock maybe indian, american, or chinese.

Too bad d indian one is too stupid its like u are watching someone dancing from d beginning 2 d end, d chinese is not worth talking about apart from Jackie Chans own, and the American/foreign one, the only thing that is helping it survive is their constant advertising and portraying it as something good, and the only ones that are actually worth watching is the Black Hollywood ones. Men those guys are good.

Conclusion, prefer African and Black hollywood movies 2 every other movies. Dont say i'm biased, honestly watch it and see.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by TBG: 3:54am On Mar 24, 2008
VeritasInV:

angry
In all honesty why would any one want to watch Nigerian films?!?!?!?!?!

Most of the films i have seen are shoddy of very poor quality and the actors seem to be of a lower educational ranking.
On top of which many of the ''films'' make light some of the serious issues facing this country. The touch lightly on the subjects of 419 bribbery and corruption but they do not portry an effective image of these things being wrong. Morally and legaly.

Many of the films i have seen are ridiculous and do not follow an even plot line jumping from scene to scene like a rabbit on drugs had been i charge of directing them.

Some and perhaps even a majority of the films i have seen are an abbomination to any film industry.

cry It some times brings a tear to my eye to think that someone actually thought about these films and decided to buy a $20 camera make them with people from the streets and decide its a good film.

There are many inferences to literacy and illiteracy in some of the films i have seen in which a charachter who has travelled ''abroad'' as it is said , returns to the village or town he is from where he begins to behave in a manner not befitting any normal person.

Boasting bragging spending volumes of tape speaking of things whch are imaginery or just made up.
The Character returns with an amount of money which when converted is a fortune here and begins to boast of owning companies and firm or being richer and having a lot more money. In thruth that is all he had after coming back ti Nigeria and spends it all trying to impress fare weather friends.

Many Nigerian films plain and simple may portray a certain aspect of life here but they mostly end up glamourizing many of the negative aspects of being Nigerian.

veritas i quite agree with you,most of the films i have also come across are quite poor but i do know for a fact that one or two home vidoes are relatively good.and i think u are aware of that because u said that most films are poor meaning that there must be a few that are ok or at least somewhat close to your esteemed standards.but instead of at least mentioning the few good ones you rather concentrated on the many bad ones.i agree that many naija films are quite poor but what i do appreciate is that this pooor films are creating jobs for people and not just any type of jobs ,but ok paying jobs,and not just ok paying jobs but ok paying jobs that people enjoying doing.you should come to unilag and see the number of young people enroling for creative arts (a course they enjoy)all thanks to our poor film industry.another fact about our poor film industry that gives me joy is the fact that we are telling our own stories no matter how poorly we are doing it,not only that nigerians like you and me are also buying this nonesense,so you could say that we are producing our own goods and actually consuming them which is the bed rock of any healthy economy.i could go on and on but i hope you see my point no matter how bleak.i strongly believe that we should seriously criticize the industry but not to kill it but rather to make it better.

Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by otokx(m): 12:17pm On Mar 24, 2008
You are talking of 16 in one nollywood dvd; I have seen 48 in one hollywood dvd - this our country simply does not play by the rules.
Re: Pirated DVDs With 16 Movies: Is Nollywood Doomed? by d1tha1: 8:27pm On Mar 25, 2008
@Combrazor,

While I cant give you the facts right away, I think u are wrong in assuming that “no penny” of the UK/foreign NOLLYWOOD (N-wood) channels flow back to the local N-wood industry undecided. Consider the following:

1. N-wood movies are produced and distributed by studios, producers,etc. which are represented by umbrella associations. I do not honestly think that the foreign N-Wood channels just buy the DVDs in "Lagos gp-low" and air them for a fee without any recourse to the producers and distributors. Do you think the producers/associations would know about this and not request for royalties? The royalties may be meagre but I am inclined to think that the “industry” gets some of the revenues.

2. While laws are not enforced in Nigeria, foreign TV channels broadcasting n-wood movies operate in countries where laws ARE enforced and so companies do take care to be sure they are doing the right thing. Do you think that the promoters would take the chance of being sued for millions of pounds by one “small” Nigerian producer in Naija or UK courts for piracy (i.e. commercial broadcasting of material without the rights to do so), International law makes suing them possible and all a Nigerian producers need to do is get one smart UK lawyer that will sue their asses cool. I don’t think they are stupid enough to take that chance of losing millions when they can just pay the meagre royalties upfront. That’s not how to run a business. smiley

3. Even if for some absurd reason they were just buying DVDs off the street, ISNT THE REVENUE FROM SUCH PURCHASES GOING BACK TO NOLLYWOOD? (Abi, u assuming that it is their Nigerian relatives that are bringing FREE movies from naija? tongue Is that how to run a business??)

So, do u still have the tower to sell? wink

(1) (2)

Debunking The SCAM Called TSTV / Iyabo Ojo Introduces Her Children To Acting / How Do I Recharge My GOTV ONLINE With The Scratch Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.