Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

How Good Is Abia State University For Phd Economics (financial Engineering)? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Good Is Abia State University For Phd Economics (financial Engineering)? (1590 Views)

Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD / Best Nigerian University For Phd In Engineering / Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Good Is Abia State University For Phd Economics (financial Engineering)? by toptop: 8:16pm On Jan 18, 2013
I am considering pursuing a PhD economics majoring in Quantitative Finance in any Eastern university. But with the information available to me, only Abia State University runs that PhD major.
Please house, does any one have any idea about the suitability of the school for such major programme? Or are there other options available in any other south eastern university?
Re: How Good Is Abia State University For Phd Economics (financial Engineering)? by toptop: 6:18am On Jan 19, 2013
13 views and no comments. Please i need advices. Where are Abia state university students and Alumnis?
Re: How Good Is Abia State University For Phd Economics (financial Engineering)? by tanimola22: 10:46pm On Jan 19, 2013
toptop: I am considering pursuing a PhD economics majoring in Quantitative Finance in any Eastern university. But with the information available to me, only Abia State University runs that PhD major.
Please house, does any one have any idea about the suitability of the school for such major programme? Or are there other options available in any other south eastern university?

First, you need to be reminded that 'real', 'unadulterated' Quantitative Finance is a combo of hardcore Mathematical Statistics, Stochastic Partial Differential Equations (SPDEs), Numerical Analysis, Computer Programming, Financial Economics and Financial Econometrics..Are you strong in all these?

Check if the school has reputable faculty (professors) that really know what they are doing in Quantitative Finance. In my view, this can only be achieved if you yourself visit the department and speak with their experts in Quantitative Finance. Check their publications and their contributions to knowledge in Quantitative Finance. Otherwise you will be frustrated out of the program if they themselves are struggling with finding their bearing in the field. In fact, to tell you the truth, I find it strange that Quantitative Finance is offered at the Department of Economics.

Anyway, if you have previous good grades at BSc (>4.0) and Master's(>4.5)levels, with a strong foundation in the aforementioned quant courses, then I would say that you should pursue your PhD dreams outside the shores of Nigeria. I say this because the field of Quantitative Finance is still alien to our financial market in Nigeria.

T22
Re: How Good Is Abia State University For Phd Economics (financial Engineering)? by RixExpat: 11:06am On Mar 11, 2013
Financial Engineering in Naija? I'm not aware of any school offering it even at the masters level. Like tanimola22 rightly pointed out, I'm also a bit wondering how Financial Engineering (FE) or quant finance is under economics. Ideally, you will find FE under Math or Finance dept. depending on the concentration. Some are very heavy on just pure mathematical modeling, others emphasize applications in finance and risk management. The former is usually under the math dept. and normally go by the name Financial Mathemtics, the latter is more commonly referred to as Financial Engineering. FE (being multi disciplinary) whether housed in the math or finance dept. draws heavy from math, finance and programming. The Nigerian capital market and the financial system in general is still offering plain vanilla products (no derivatives) so one will not expect anybody to have a solid exposure in a graduate program in FE, much more research in quant finance. I will suggest you don't waste your time and resources for any FE program in Nigeria (if any at all).

You may take a look at the following list if you really want a serious training in FE or quant finance. They are mostly FE programs at the masters level but some of those schools offer concentration in FE or quant finance at the PhD leve (most FE concentrations are usually under Math or Finance PhD).

http://www.global-derivatives.com/index.php/news-topmenu-19

https://iafe.org/html/resources_acad.php

https://www.quantnet.com/mfe-programs-rankings/

(1) (Reply)

How To Get A Job Without Work Experience By Abdussalam Amoo / Recession: Do You Need Part Time Job/busines That Will Not Affect Your Job? / Free Web Design / Blogging Training In Lagos, - October, 2020.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.