Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,880 members, 7,806,529 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:55 PM

What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? (10476 Views)

What Has Buhari's Administration Achieved This Year? / Good Governace In Edo Vs Delta States / What Has Nigeria Achieved So Far? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by thelastPope(m): 1:38pm On Jan 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
Why do we Nigerians just like unecessary arguments. Are these the only states that are listed as ND states?

Theoretically, the guy is right. These words or phrases are sometimes used flippantly. Niger Delta states, Niger Delta region and oil producing states are all different. But I do understand what your question seeks to achieve. You might as well ask what have the oil producing states achieved so far.

The answer is obvious. Akwa Ibom remains the best state in the country in terms of performance. Cross Rivers is doing well, though it did better during Donald Duke's tenure and rivers is doing fairly well. The new Bayelsa guy is showing a lot of promise. It is too early to rate him though but he is showing good signs. He has a not so refined look but is very people oriented and thats what matters. Edo state is doing great though he slowed down since reelection, probably due to funds. Ondo has also done fairly well. They all still have lots to do. It is also fair to say that most of these governors met a completely rotten system on the ground so while we should criticize them, we should also give them the benefit of doubt that they need a little time to make meaningful impact. But the criticism should not stop albeit, it should be constructive. I like the police college incidence. That is how journalism should be done. Sometimes, we actually think these leaders have CCTV camera's in their office where they can see the whole state or country. You will be amazed to know that the police leadership presents yearly reports that the police college is being renovated and upgraded. This is also where civil society groups and journalist owe it to the nation to do their jobs. For example, as much as some ACN guys on NL want to promote Fashola, they will be shocked if we post some pictures of places in Lagos that will truly embarrass the LASG. But in fairness, the governors or president cannot be everywhere and the average Nigerian government official is a useless sycophant. So we the citizens should not hesitate to put the pressure on and force things to work.

Delta state guy messed up for so long that even now he is trying to make some moves, no one seems interested. He will have to now do 5 times more than he should have done before people can even give him any commendation. He has been a real disappointment. Abia is a mess and we only hope the incompetent governor will wake up. Overall, we have some governors doing fairly well and others completely useless. It is also not right for some to say Lagos is being singled out for attack or criticism. Since I have being on NL, every state in the south except Lagos has be on the wrong end of criticisms and attacks. If any thing, Lagos has been getting a free pass and it is right that the search light be beamed on them just like any other state. How many state governors do you think would have gotten the soft landing Fashola got on the doctors saga or the LASU imbroglio or the Lekki calamity!. If it were a governor from a south south state he would have been fried by the public and NL opposition crew. Let everyone be examined. What is wrong is the tribal and extreme partisan angles we get with the opposition most times.

The next group of people we need to examine are the middle belt and northern governors. As bad as the southern governors might be, they are still doing and initiating many projects. Lets also see and bring to the spotlight, the middle belt and north! We need development across Nigeria

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Ice4jez(m): 1:40pm On Jan 19, 2013
J12: Is lagos the most important state in Nigeria?
see stu.ip question.it is either u re a learner or u re not from dis planet
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by elbinmanny(m): 1:43pm On Jan 19, 2013
As far as I am concerned it is only Akwa-Ibom that has done remarkably well!
Development has united the state into one huge city, right now the state is embarking on the dualization of all inter-state federal roads. Eg the uyo-ikot ekpene-Aba highway, ikot Ekpene - obot Akara - Umuahia highway,Uyo - itu - calabar highway!
Construction is on-going night and day by Julius Berger shocked shocked shocked
Just can't stop loving Akpabio! And the man is mouthed too cheesycheesycheesy
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Truckpusher(m): 1:45pm On Jan 19, 2013
Op you should be asking yourself how did the oppressive and repressive Nigerian govt controlled by the North and South West manage the huge oil revenue gotten from the Niger Delta immediately after the civil war till the day the 13% and NDDC came into life? and not the crap you posited here to enable you and your kind have a field day insulting the good people of the Niger Delta.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Afam4eva(m): 1:45pm On Jan 19, 2013
thelastPope:
The answer is obvious. Akaw ibom remains the best state in the country. Cross Rivers is doing well, though it did better doing Donald Duke's tenure and rivers is doing fairly well. The new Bayelsa guy is showing a lot of promise. It is too early to rate him though but he is showing good signs. Edo state is doing great though he slowed down since reelection, probably due to funds. Ondo has also done fairly ok. Though they all still have lots to do. It is also fair to say that most of these people met a completely rotten system on the ground so while we should criticize them, we should also give them the benefit of doubt that they need a little while to make meaningful impact. But the criticism should not stop albeit, it should be constructive. I like the police college incidence. That is how journalism should be done. Sometimes, we actually think these leaders have CCTV camera's in their office where they can see the whole state or country. You will be amazed to know that the police leadership presents yearly reports that the police college is being renovated and upgraded. This is also where civil society groups and journalist owe it to the nation to do their jobs. As much as for example, some ACN guys on NL want to promote Fashola, they will be shocked if we post some pictures of places in Lagos that will truly embarrass the LASG. But in fairness, the governors or president cannot be everywhere and the average Nigerian government official is a useless sycophant. So we the citizens should not hesitate to put the pressure on and force things to work.

Delta state guy messed up for so long that even now he is trying to make some moves, no one seems interested. He will have to now do 5 times more than he should have done before people can even give him any commendation. He has been a real disappointment. Abia is a mess and we only hope the incompetent governor will wake up. Overall, we have some governors doing fairly ok and other completely useless. It is also not right for some to say Lagos is being singled out. Right from when I have being on NL, every state in the south except Lagos has be on the wrong end of criticisms and attack. if any thing, Lagos has been getting a free pass and it is right that the search light be beamed on them just like any other state. How many state governors do you think would have gotten the soft landing Fashola got on the doctors saga or the LASU imbroglio or the Lekki calamity!. If it were a governor from a south south state he would have been fried by the public and NL opposition crew. Let everyone be examined. What is wrong is the tribal and extreme partisan angles we get with the opposition most times.

The next group of people we need to examine are the middle belt and northern governors. As bad as the southern governors might be, they are still doing and initiating many projects. Lets also see and bring to the spotlight, the middle belt and north! We need development across Nigeria
Doing OK is not good enough. I mean, most states can be said to be doing ok too. But these states collect unimaginable amounts of movie and i want to know if they have done anything special that non-oil producing states have not done. Except maybe Akwa-Ibom state, i've not seen anything to suggest that they utilized the money given to them judiciously. I think it all boils down to bad leadership.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by thelastPope(m): 1:50pm On Jan 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
Doing OK is not good enough. I mean, most states can be said to be doing ok too. But these states collect unimaginable amounts of movie and i want to know if they have done anything special that non-oil producing states have not done. Except maybe Akwa-Ibom state, i've not seen anything to suggest that they utilized the money given to them judiciously. I think it all boils down to bad leadership.

There are different kinds of debate. In the real world, Only Akwa Ibom state is doing excellently in Nigeria. That is a fact that cant be contested whether you bring in the amount of money thing or not. Even Lagos is not doing excellently! So please understand my use of words. Most states are not doing ok. Most states are doing very badly. Few states are doing ok!

1 Like

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jan 19, 2013
Akwa Ibom is highly transformed and Akpabio is the Transformer and i wud say Akwa Ibom is best in the country in terms of rapid development.

1 Like

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by thelastPope(m): 1:59pm On Jan 19, 2013
One difference between Akwa Ibom and the rest is that while others are trying to just fix their states, Akwa Ibom is building what you can call a new city/state for the world to move to. He is trying to prepare the state as a new horizon in Nigeria. That was what Donald Duke wanted to do for cross rivers. He did do his bit and in fairness, these kind of transformation is not done overnight and it behooves the next governor to continue the trend. But this new governor of cross rivers dont seem to have caught the vision.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by solomon111(m): 1:59pm On Jan 19, 2013
Omerian Consult: Yes. Lagos is more important than d rest of Nigeria combined for several good reasons.
Now,you are stretching it.
The oil-producing states may have one or two things to say about that.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by thelastPope(m): 2:01pm On Jan 19, 2013
solomon111: Now,you are stretching it.
The oil-producing states may have one or two things to say about that.

You will do well to ignore such comments. Most of these people on NL making such comments are teenagers and students. they have no clue of anything.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Frankbaro(m): 2:12pm On Jan 19, 2013
NOTHING, From jonathan 2 d governors, I say absolutely nothing, if d only road (East/West Road) dat leads 2 dat zone is in shambles. They are their own worst enemies. If an hausa or yoruba man is d president,they will be busy shouting their selves hoarse. Maybe they are thinking dat after jonathan another south south man will be be president. They should know dat this is d only opportuinity 2 better dat region. Unfortunately every one of them is fighting 4 his own pocket,not 4 d majority of d poor masses of dat REGION. Greedy them all.

1 Like

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by mu2sa2: 2:17pm On Jan 19, 2013
Niger deltans hav for long been deceived by their own leaders. While the shameless leaders stash away billions of naira, thye hoodwink their people with resource control balderdash. Tell me, if they are given all the revenue accruing from oil, is it not the same corrupt, criminal leaders that will divert the money to their private bank accounts. These criminals see the terrible poverty in the niger delta, yet they still continue to steal all the billions allocated monthly to the states and lgs. God punish the wicked. Take Bayelsa, all its governors from 1999 to date should be held accountable for its underdevelopment. Everyone of them and in the case of Gej including his wife, who was indicted by EFFC for laundering 100 million naira (on the verge of being charged then her husband became VP and silence followed).
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jan 19, 2013
GAR3TH: Oil Producing states =/= Niger Delta states. There are only 3 states in the Niger delta, which is different from the 6 states that are in the south-south zone, which is different from Oil producing states. Niger delta only consist of Delta, Bayelsa & Rivers.

@OP As far as I know, the oil producing states that I think are making achievement are Cross-rivers, Edo & Akwa-Ibom. Rivers can be on the list but I'm still skeptical.

Cross River is a South-South state, not an oil-producing state. It lost that "oil"status when Nigeria 'dashed-out' bakassi to cameroun.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Ngwakwe: 2:31pm On Jan 19, 2013
My Baptismal Certificate issued by British Bishop in Aba classified the area (Aba) as Diocese of Niger Delta before Nigeria Civil War.

Forget about Nigerian Politics, those area were geographically called Niger Delta before the discovery of Oil by the British

GAR3TH:

What unnecessary argument? Many Nigerians dont know what the term "Niger Delta" is. When some one says Niger Delta some Nigerians think about the geographic ND while others think about the south-south, and some use ND to mean oil producing states. I am just clarifying the confusion. The only states in the geographical Niger delta are Rivers, bayelsa and part of delta.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by talktimi(m): 2:33pm On Jan 19, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Keep ur childish rants to yourself and stop exhibiting ur ignorance!!
but Mr Garri, must you utilize every opportunity you have to hurl insults ?
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jan 19, 2013
thelastPope: One difference between Akwa Ibom and the rest is that while others are trying to just fix their states, Akwa Ibom is building what you can call a new city/state for the world to move to. He is trying to prepare the state as a new horizon in Nigeria. That was what Donald Duke wanted to do for cross rivers. He did do his bit and in fairness, these kind of transformation is not done overnight and it behooves the next governor to continue the trend. But this new governor of cross rivers dont seem to have caught the vision.

U are talking trash my friend. Cross River state has lost it's extra oil revenue. First to Cameroun n then to sister state Akwa Ibom. The current governor is making d most of d resources! Go 2 d rural areas n see wot's up. He just doesn't know hw 2 blow his trumpet. Get ur facts ryt n stop misleading people!
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by emron1(m): 2:46pm On Jan 19, 2013
well I think some have faired quite well such as riverstate akwaibom nd imo under rochas governors from this states have really invest heavily on infrastructure nd urbanization. Imo for example have embarked on a one city state project which will see the urbanization of orlu nd okigwe. Went to orlu last month nd it was one massive site with lots of road construction nd other edifice. But some like delta have really failed to impress nd abia is actually worse.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by talktimi(m): 2:46pm On Jan 19, 2013
Frankbaro: NOTHING, From jonathan 2 d governors, I say absolutely nothing, if d only road (East/West Road) dat leads 2 dat zone is in shambles. They are their own worst enemies. If an hausa or yoruba man is d president,they will be busy shouting their selves hoarse. Maybe they are thinking dat after jonathan another south south man will be be president. D fools should know dat this is d only opportuinity 2 better dat God forsaken zone.And I also think the most greedy nigerians come from dat end eg.Goodluck jonathan, Edwin clark,Goodwill orubebe, Kingsley Kuku, Timi Alaibe,etc and dia numerous militants,every fucking one of them is fighting 4 his or her own pocket,not 4 d majority of d poor masses of dat REGION. Greedy them all.
I would have commended you on a very intelligent analysis but your choice of words has betrayed you. Everyday people in the SS cry out over the state of the east west road for example and all you do is call all niger deltans fools ? That is pathetic and totally unfair coming from you. My job has taken me to a lot of interior villages in the niger delta crying out for help, these people know they need help and they cry out for it yet you call them fools because you have the power of the internet to say so. May God forgive you for calling the niger delta region a God forsaken zone.
I am not here to defend any governor, lg chairman or councillor in the region all I'm saying is you should know who you direct your anger towards instead of insulting an entire people and their domain. Thank you

7 Likes

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by thelastPope(m): 2:47pm On Jan 19, 2013
nchewi:

U are talking trash my friend. Cross River state has lost it's extra oil revenue. First to Cameroun n then to sister state Akwa Ibom. The current governor is making d most of d resources! Go 2 d rural areas n see wot's up. He just doesn't know hw 2 blow his trumpet. Get ur facts ryt n stop misleading people!

My friend it is a debate. I never said I know everything about Cross Rivers. I spoke on the backdrop or the fading of Tinapa and other initiatives Duke left behind. If you think am wrong, show it. I just believed Duke had a good vision and there is no follow up. And I dont think I am the only one who have noticed that. If you say there isnt funds to follow up, then that is a different argument altogether. I am not like the ACN gang who are out to rubbish people. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by PointB: 2:51pm On Jan 19, 2013
The Op has raised an important topic. Many of us believe (rightly or wrongly if I may add) that judging from its 'huge' income and prior state of development vis-a-vis completed and on-going project, Lagos State is a massive centre for abuse and high level fraud by the state governor and his godfather.

But we have to steer away from Lagos State now and deal with other states that receives similar income (IGR and FG Allocation) like Lagos State. States in this category include Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Bayelsa, and of course Delta States. That said, Imo, Abia, and Edo states should also be considered for spotlighting as they are also part of the oil producing states and do receive substantial oil base income.

What are these states doing with their incomes? It is not enough to say the governors are performing or thieving, we want to know specifically abandoned projects they completed, new ones they initiated, and perhaps too what the governors are having for breakfast, lunch, and supper, and who is paying for it.

But I think this thread will be best served if the Op modifies it with a focus on particular state. Otherwise, we will dissipate energy talking about 'Niger Delta', while the culprits or performing governors go unnoticed.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by GARRIx7(m): 2:53pm On Jan 19, 2013
talktimi: but Mr Garri, must you utilize every opportunity you have to hurl insults ?

I utilise every opportunity to call a spade a spade...... grin grin
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by barikay: 2:54pm On Jan 19, 2013
@op, the best thing u should hav done is to place other states achievements side by side with ND states. PH is one major city that is developed by d effort of d state govt alone.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Iolo(m): 2:59pm On Jan 19, 2013
GARRI (x7):
The worst managed states in the Niger-Delta region are Delta, Bayelsa and Abia...

Its sad to note as well that Goodluck Jonathan is a part and parcel of the rot and mismanagement of resources in the region...

If Goodluck Jonathan has failed to develop develop his state and ensure that capable hands are at the helm of affairs one isn't left in doubt as to why the PDP-led Federal Government hasn't ceased to disappoint Nigerians...

I wonder why your tying GEJ into the scenario. Is he the one to tell the Governors how to spend their monies? If he unduly interferes its still some people that would say he's interfering.

The ND has experienced really bad leadership since time immemorial. Esp Delta and Bayelsa states. Their Governors must be pressured to start doing more by the populace.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jan 19, 2013
Ice4jez: see stu.ip question.it is either u re a learner or u re not from dis planet

Its not a stupìd question. The Niger delta states contribute more to the federal purse than Lagos state. They are the most important states in Nigeria as far as i'm concerned.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by talktimi(m): 3:21pm On Jan 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
mr Afam, before any meaningful argument can be had with your comment here, I would like to know how many Niger Delta states you've been to. That way it would be easier to gauge your argument.
The reason why I say this is because on this forum, there are many people who have never left the comforts of their states of residence making unfounded allegations and hurling tribalistic insults to insult peoples of the niger delta as an entire collective.
Back to the topic, Edo state was ashambles before Oshiomhole came into power and there's no senatorial district that can say they've not felt the state govt's impact, Akwa Ibom state under Akpabio is also another state seeing massive development, a friend of mine who stayed there for 5yrs while in sch recently told me he couldn't recognize anywhr thr again including the bus stop to his house. Rivers state under gov Amaechi is also doing well, remember he met a lot of challenges with kidnappers and militants making it virtually impossible for projects to go on in the state but now he's developing the new port harcourt city, elevated education and health care facilities in the state to an extent people are withdrawing their kids from private schools and sending them to public schools because they are very well equiped and even now many graduates applied to be TEACHERS in this Rivers state. I can't say much about Bayelsa let's just bear in mind that thr will be drama coming out of that state again this year except a miracle happens which is what we are praying for.
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by MostIncredibleDFirst: 3:25pm On Jan 19, 2013
Afameva, of wat use is it 2 recycle same issues on d Nairaland's frontpage wit different headings? I think Moderators on nairaland are increasing lackin wot 2do n becomin redundant by d day, which is why one wud hardly find any serious national n topical issue on Nl's frontpage these days. NL is fast becomin mundane!

1 Like

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jan 19, 2013
Frankbaro: NOTHING, From jonathan 2 d governors, I say absolutely nothing, if d only road (East/West Road) dat leads 2 dat zone is in shambles. They are their own worst enemies. If an hausa or yoruba man is d president,they will be busy shouting their selves hoarse. Maybe they are thinking dat after jonathan another south south man will be be president. D fools should know dat this is d only opportuinity 2 better dat God forsaken zone.And I also think the most greedy nigerians come from dat end eg.Goodluck jonathan, Edwin clark,Goodwill orubebe, Kingsley Kuku, Timi Alaibe,etc and dia numerous militants,every fucking one of them is fighting 4 his or her own pocket,not 4 d majority of d poor masses of dat REGION. Greedy them all.

Please be very careful in your use of words. Why open your smelling mouth and call people from ND fools? Why say it is a God-forsaken place? Stop displaying your foolishness and stupidity. ND is like every other parts of Nigeria filled with curruption, cultism, stealing, etc.

You can criticise GEJ constructively but stop insulting him. Neither you nor your father nor your lineage will ever achieve 0.05% of what he has achieved. Afterall he is a man like you.
So you think that other parts of Nigeria are better than ND? Akpabio for your information is the best performing governor in infracstructural developement in Nigeria.

Tell us your state and let us know how wise your people are and how God-chosen your place is. Mannerless kid.

1 Like

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Malawian(m): 3:27pm On Jan 19, 2013
how did ondo get into the niger delta and anambra isnt in it? hmmnn. obasanjo !!!!!

Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by dayokanu(m): 3:36pm On Jan 19, 2013
Is that not where Retardeen Jonathan came from?
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by dayokanu(m): 3:37pm On Jan 19, 2013
Malawian: how did ondo get into the niger delta and anambra isnt in it? hmmnn. obasanjo !!!!!

Does Anambra have any link to the ocean?
Re: What Have Niger Delta States Achieved So Far? by Navalsadiq(m): 3:45pm On Jan 19, 2013
During my service year in the oil rich region i hav no choice than to come to the conclusion that they have not achive anything because they are consumed by greed.i mean very greey pipo.the best they hav got to offer is alcohol.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why I Killed 90% Of The Jew / Fajana Ojo-Ade Suspended For 101 Days From Ekiti House Of Assembly / Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.