Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,619 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:23 PM

An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family (2646 Views)

Guy Brought His Oyinbo Wife Back Home & His Family Members Were Astonished -pics / Beautiful Pictures Of A Nairalander And His Family / Can She Assumed A Wife Responsibility When Engaged? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Jenonye(f): 9:49am On Jan 19, 2013
I just realized that my fiance and I r frm entirely diff backgrounds...I don't knw anything abt the yourba tradition and stuff but I knw its very diff frm my own tradition...pls I need advise frm yourba pple out there..I need to knw wot and wot to do to please my Mother in law and wot to do to get closer to his family in general
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by AK481(m): 9:51am On Jan 19, 2013
Learn how to cook "Yoruba",no mata how delicious the soup is,if its not Yoruba,your name is sorry.
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Afam4eva(m): 10:49am On Jan 19, 2013
Jenonye: I just realized that my fiance and I r frm entirely diff backgrounds[b][/b]...I don't knw anything abt the yourba tradition and stuff but I knw its very diff frm my own tradition...pls I need advise frm yourba pple out there..I need to knw wot and wot to do to please my Mother in law and wot to do to get closer to his family in general
Pls explain the bolded...Are you saying you didn't know where your fiancee was from all this while?

1 Like

Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by victorian(f): 10:52am On Jan 19, 2013
Be respectful,, friendly, and accommodating.. Also when going to yur mil place, remember to take a gift along.. Especially lace material or Ankara or wristwatch, or gold chain on most visits... Or better still ask yur husband.. He knows his family wella.
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Nobody: 11:09am On Jan 19, 2013
Jenonye: I just realized that my fiance and I r frm entirely diff backgrounds...I don't knw anything abt the yourba tradition and stuff but I knw its very diff frm my own tradition...pls I need advise frm yourba pple out there..I need to knw wot and wot to do to please my Mother in law and wot to do to get closer to his family in general

^^^^^ don't lay a fake foundation you're not gonna follow thru with when you're married and start to throw tantrums for pity party on NL.

You don't need to please anybody but be yourself..... put your best foot forward and let them know your real self... every reasonable lady knows marriage is different from courtship and not bout you two anymore.

... Ofcourse being Igbo you'd want to adopt new stuff bout Yoruba norms like kneeling down for your MIL & FIL ONLY ( no extension eye service ), learn how to cook some stuff ( mil can even teach you now to build relationship , so reach out to her).... Don't present yourself cheap and needy ... this should be btw you and your man.... ( learning new things shouldn't be one sided but ladies tend to be more flexible)

because now you'd hear Nigerian men are sexist after they've presented themselves cheap and he treats them like a second hand bag.

And last but not least.... Language barrier .... pleas please please... both of you must be on the same page on this issue without feeling left out when either of you converse with your family.

Back to bed now **yawns** grin ( slept on the couch last night and found myself in bed now ...ummm what a mystery wink)

1 Like

Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Nobody: 11:19am On Jan 19, 2013
victorian: Be respectful,, friendly, and accommodating.. Also when going to yur mil place, remember to take a gift along.. Especially [b]lace material or Ankara or wristwatch, or gold chain on most visits... [/b]Or better still ask yur husband.. He knows his family wella.

^^^^wait o ... are you insinuating yoruba MILs are long throat?

....^^^^ bolded .And OP should be ready to continue the rain of gifts after marriage even borrow sef to please dear MIL!......mistakes people make.
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by victorian(f): 11:22am On Jan 19, 2013
jidegirl12:

^^^^wait o ... are you insinuating yoruba MILs are long throat?

....^^^^ bolded .And OP should be ready to continue the rain of gifts after marriage even borrow sef to please dear MIL!......mistakes people make.

Hey God, please help some people to understand simple sentence when they read... I never said yoruba mil are long throats
. I never said the op should go and borrow or please her mil
I never said , the op should always give gifts to the mil.
Please, relax yur mind and read my reply again...Haba, na wa o angry

1 Like

Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Afam4eva(m): 11:25am On Jan 19, 2013
victorian:

Hey God, please help some people to understand simple sentence when they read... I never said yoruba mil are long throats
I don't know any ML from any tribe that won't want a gift. So, it's not a Yoruba thing. What jidegirl is saying is that, if you build your relationship on that, then be ready to do that forever.
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by victorian(f): 11:27am On Jan 19, 2013
One thing u must understand is this, jidegirl ... With In laws and with families...if u want their support in any thing yur doing or if u want them to listen to you... U can never be tight fisted... Or else no one will be there for you, or even given u a listening hear.. It's life... U can't be stingy to your in laws and expect them to love u... All am saying , give them gifts, no matter how small.. That's why I listed variety of items she can choose from.. And I bet u , it's not everyday, a wife is chanced to visit inlaws... Why do son inlaws take a bottle of wine or gin to thier father inlaw house, anytime they drop by... It's simply courtesy and respect, not because the Fil has longer throat.
Well, if u like don't give after marriage, that's yur wahala ... Not mine.
Well, I don't see anything wrong in giving... My prayer is that God should bless me so well, to be able to touch people's life, without grumbling or my account going down...am giver, I don't see anything wrong in wat I said.

1 Like

Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Nobody: 11:31am On Jan 19, 2013
victorian:

Hey Vicky you better watch your acrylic nails uncultured demeanour before they click that send button !

You are the one who needs to think before you type not me..... every reasonable person would simply understand and comprehend what you just quoted up there ....answer my questions rather throwing cheap insults.
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Nobody: 11:32am On Jan 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
I don't know any ML from any tribe that won't want a gift. So, it's not a Yoruba thing. What jidegirl is saying is that, if you build your relationship on that, then be ready to do that forever.

God bless you bro.
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by victorian(f): 11:39am On Jan 19, 2013
@ jidegirl I don't owe you any answer or comment.. It's no use saying anything to you... Have replied the op question to the Op.... If u can't stand my answer... Why shud I care?...it's not yur post. cool..taking Panadol for another person headache... The op has a right to choose my suggestions or ignore them... So please, advise the op instead of attacking my answer to the op... Abeg I don't have time for trivialities.

1 Like

Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Afam4eva(m): 11:40am On Jan 19, 2013
victorian: @ jidegirl I don't owe you any answer or comment.. It's no use saying anything to you... Have replied the op question to the Op.... If u can't stand my answer... Why shud I care?...it's not yur post. cool..taking Panadol for another person headache... The op has a right to choose my suggestions or ignore them... So please, advise the op instead of attacking my answer to the op... Abeg I don't have time for trivialities.
O girl, no be fight.
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by victorian(f): 11:42am On Jan 19, 2013
Of course no be fight... I don't even have the time for such... Simply advise op, or read and move on.,. Simple.

3 Likes

Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 19, 2013
At topic, just be the nice lady your hubby knew before asking you to marry him.

Your being nice to people will always get you a way to their heart.

Eg, if she needs help, get help for her..show her love that's all you need to know and every other thing will fall in place.

1 Like

Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by biolabee(m): 1:28pm On Jan 19, 2013
jidegirl n victoria again?

Jenonye: I just realized that my fiance and I r frm entirely diff backgrounds...I don't knw anything abt the yourba tradition and stuff but I knw its very diff frm my own tradition...pls I need advise frm yourba pple out there..I need to knw wot and wot to do to please my Mother in law and wot to do to get closer to his family in general
pls explain
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Jenonye(f): 1:46pm On Jan 19, 2013
I hav always known but the reality just hit me,thts all

biolabee: jidegirl n victoria again?

pls explain
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Jenonye(f): 1:48pm On Jan 19, 2013
I hav always known but the reality just hit me,thts all + I don't think I hav really made efforts to get to knw his pple and understad their ways

pls explain
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 19, 2013

Lmao!!! grin cheesy cheesy..... Good morning or whatever over their sis.... don't mind her jare... Na Vicky vex me first... I never throw the first punch... Never!!! But once it's thrown , I will give it back to you in too much details!

Jenonye: I hav always known but the reality just hit me,thts all + I don't think I hav really made efforts to get to knw his pple and understad their ways

Just be yourself and start reaching out small small.... don't do what you can't follow thru with oh grin
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by slimyem: 3:26pm On Jan 19, 2013
AK 48: Learn how to cook "Yoruba",no mata how delicious the soup is,if its not Yoruba,your name is sorry.
Bullshit!!

Op,if there's one thing peculiar and valued to/by yoruba people...its respect!
Be ready to give that to everyone old and young.It goes hand in hand with humility too.
You can't go wrong with these two qualities.
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by EzePromoe: 4:56pm On Jan 19, 2013
For me, marrying from another tribe is the best. In general expression, Igbo girls are the best I've seen in the country but I still intend to marry from another tribe different from my own and my GF to be precise is not from my tribe.
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Afam4eva(m): 5:00pm On Jan 19, 2013
Eze Promoe: For me, marrying from another tribe is the best. In general expression, Igbo girls are the best I've seen in the country but I still intend to marry from another tribe different from my own and my GF to be precise is not from my tribe.
Where's your GF from? Ijaw, Calabar, Ogini?
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by biolabee(m): 5:02pm On Jan 19, 2013
jidegirl12:

Lmao!!! grin cheesy cheesy..... Good morning or whatever over their sis..
good day too and all the best of the day

Jenonye: I hav always known but the reality just hit me,thts all + I don't think I hav really made efforts to get to knw his pple and understad their ways

OP, you have not said much but for a yoruba family, youhave to show respect at all times, if u could give us more informationmaybe i can be more specific
You call ur inlaws aunty or uncle
you courtesy at any given opportunity and ur knee must touch the ground
As u give more info, i can talk more
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by EzePromoe: 5:06pm On Jan 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
Where's your GF from? Ijaw, Calabar, Ogini?
Ima uma n'ajum ajuju a.
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 19, 2013
@op, respect is the kEY. Weather u hv Gold or not jux give them respect both old n young n i tell u dat u wil sleep with two eyes closed.
Am igbo too n my hubby is frm yoruba n am in good terms wit my inlaws.
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jan 19, 2013
Julesbloom: @op, respect is the kEY. Weather u hv Gold or not jux give them respect both old n young n i tell u dat u wil sleep with two eyes closed.
Am igbo too n my hubby is frm yoruba n am in good terms wit my inlaws.

You're my iyawo be dat o..... aunty Jide from now on Kay? grin grin
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jan 19, 2013
jidegirl12:

You're my iyawo be dat o..... aunty Jide from now on Kay? grin grin

lol no probs, anty jide, bawo?
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jan 19, 2013
Julesbloom:

lol no probs, anty jide, bawo?

Mo wa pa to the fullest grin iyawo mi to sure....lol @ aunty Jide .. weird cheesy
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jan 19, 2013
jidegirl12:

Mo wa pa to the fullest grin iyawo mi to sure....lol @ aunty Jide .. weird cheesy

hahahaha lol@weird.
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jan 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
Pls explain the bolded...Are you saying you didn't know where your fiancee was from all this while?
Bro na que she ask, u dey ask her back. @Op know learn how to great very well, cook oil soup a.k.a Yoruba wit big big meat. Dats all. Wit time u'll learn others
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jan 19, 2013
Wizee: Bro na que she ask, u dey ask her back. @Op know learn how to great very well, cook oil soup a.k.a Yoruba wit big big meat. Dats all. Wit time u'll learn others

Oil soup for Yoruba people? Isn't that soup I saw the recipe on food section that they added starch and raised argument ? cheesy

Awon temi no fit chop that kind soup o! Abeg cheesy
Re: An Ibo Lady Engaged To A Yourba Guy,wot Shld I Do To Blend Into His Family by nobniger: 10:38pm On Jan 19, 2013
[img][/img]

How many Ibos do you know that are married to Yoruba men and for how long? GOOD LUCK

(1) (2) (Reply)

40-year-old Mother Who Sleeps With Her Son Is Now Pregnant For Him / Why Is It That Every Man Wants To Marry A Working Class Woman Nowadays / For them Spies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.