Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,447 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:37 PM

Child Spacing - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child Spacing (17997 Views)

What Is The Ideal Spacing For Kids? / Android Apps For Family Planning/ Child Spacing / CHILD SPACING. Four Children In 5 Years- Any Consequences? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Spacing by smartmom(f): 11:34am On Jan 19, 2013
I need to know the opinions of other naija parents because it has become a heated argument here. What is the ideal age of a child before you start trying to have another one. I spaced my 1st 3 with about 5 yrs interval on the average and I believe this is the best. My friend had 4 kids in 5 yrs. You nko?
Re: Child Spacing by biolabee(m): 11:48am On Jan 19, 2013
i dont get ur q.. u already have ur kids.. do wat works for u
There are so mant factors

career: some like to have their kids sharperly so they can focus on their work, others like good spacing so they have enough time with the kid at a time and build their career
Kids Bonding: anecdotal evidence shows that when spacing is not too much, the kids grow n bond together than when it is a bit much

financing: some like it spaced so you dont have all your kids in sec school or uni

health: miscarriages, ivf etc

So many reasons

1 Like

Re: Child Spacing by greatgod2012(f): 11:59am On Jan 19, 2013
biolabee: i dont get ur q.. u already have ur kids.. do wat works for u
There are so mant factors

career: some like to have their kids sharperly so they can focus on their work, others like good spacing so they have enough time with the kid at a time and build their career
Kids Bonding: anecdotal evidence shows that when spacing is not too much, the kids grow n bond together than when it is a bit much

financing: some like it spaced so you dont have all your kids in sec school or uni

health: miscarriages, ivf etc

So many reasons

thanks, Biolabee, you have answered d question.
I will like to add this:
age of d wman when she start to have kids......if a woman is lucky to marry below 25yrs old, she may decide to have 4-5 yrs gap, but when a woman get married at 37+, believe me, 1+ yrs gap will even be too much in her eyes.
Again, if a lady has delay in child bearing till she get to around 40+yrs old b4 d womb open, abeg, na every year she go dey born o.
So, @op, different factors are on ground to consider in gapping children.
May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 19, 2013
For me after this one, I might go and adopt! embarassed

Seriously, if i'm going for 2 or 3, I will have to give myself time to recover.. E no easy at all!

I can't even imagine myself giving birth every year.

2 Likes

Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jan 19, 2013
I don't believe in too much spacing.I start trying once the kid is one year old.I believe the body contracts better when you are still younger.Atleast minimal spacing helps you to get over with child bearing earlier,after which you can focus on other aspects of your life.I personally hate anything I deem as time wasting,so I intend to be done with diapers before am 28yrs old.Some people after a long spacing,find it difficult to take in when they now desire.I believe time waits for no man.

Its good to get it over with quickly and focus on raising them.Only on medical conditions will I recommend several years spacing.

6 Likes

Re: Child Spacing by MissIfe(f): 12:39pm On Jan 19, 2013
All my friends who spaced their children with 2yrs or less where either stay at home mom or stopped working for years. Some prefer it that way, they focus on the kids when they are small and later go back to work (or don't). I also wanted to have my kids close together... before having one grin Staying at home is really not for me and it is tough enough to handle full time work + kids, so giving more space was a must.

To each their own, I think it also depends on the number of kids people want, their professional/financial situation can change in between children, and also the health of the mother when pregnant/nursing.
Re: Child Spacing by Mamaflex(f): 10:26pm On Jan 19, 2013
byvan: I don't believe in too much spacing.I start trying once the kid is one years old.I believe the body contracts better when you are still younger.Atleast minimal spacing helps you to get over with child bearing earlier,after which you can focus on other aspects of your life.I personally hate anything I deem as time wasting,so I intend to be done with diapers before am 28yrs old.Some people after a long spacing,find it difficult to take in when they now desire.I believe time waits for no man.

Its good to get it over with quickly and focus on raising them.Only on medical conditions will I recommend several years spacing.
SECONDED!!

1 Like

Re: Child Spacing by uyogabie(f): 11:17pm On Jan 19, 2013
byvan: I don't believe in too much spacing.I start trying once the kid is one years old.I believe the body contracts better when you are still younger.Atleast minimal spacing helps you to get over with child bearing earlier,after which you can focus on other aspects of your life.I personally hate anything I deem as time wasting,so I intend to be done with diapers before am 28yrs old.Some people after a long spacing,find it difficult to take in when they now desire.I believe time waits for no man.

I feel you.If you marry early and you dont want to have many kids,You can give a lot of space.IMO,better have your kids with minimal spacing,like 2yrs and focus on raising them.moreover,these days,lots of complication in child bearing if you are over 30 years bcause the female internal organs too will be wearing out.
Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jan 19, 2013
I married early but am not ready for time wasting.I want to get it over with and seek a career.I want them when am still young enough to work myself back into shape.I don't want much kids either.one more and am officially done!!

1 Like

Re: Child Spacing by MissyB3(f): 11:30pm On Jan 19, 2013
There's nothing like 'the ideal interval'. . . Pretty much whatever rocks the boat of the couple.
There's a 17-year birth gap between my brother and I, and today, that interval has proven to be more than beneficial to everyone in my family, just as the 5-year interval between your kids happens to be the best for/to you.

3 Likes

Re: Child Spacing by tpia5: 11:52pm On Jan 19, 2013
From what i heard, all things being equal, its probably better to have all your kids within the minimal amount of time, without too much spacing.

Now, when curveballs are introduced in whatever form, eg travel, work, whatever makes the above inconvenient or delayed, then you do what works for your situation.
Re: Child Spacing by smartmom(f): 11:14am On Jan 21, 2013
Vikin: For me after this one, I might go and adopt! embarassed

Seriously, if i'm going for 2 or 3, I will have to give myself time to recover.. E no easy at all!

Lovl, shhhhh dont say anything yet dear until you get over the initial stress of pregnancy and delivery and you start seeing the 'sweetness'of your cute baby.
Yes, the body does need to recover and I believe the babies do need to fully enjoy their parents undivided attention while they are yet babies and toddlers. This really helped me with sibling rivalry issues, matter of fact the older kids have to request and beg for a younger one before we plan another and they are overjoyed when the next comes
Re: Child Spacing by smartmom(f): 11:07am On Jan 22, 2013
Also very vital point is the issue of school fees when they grow up, if I had to raise 2 or 3 kids all in different levels in the university eh? phew it would have been horrendous! I love the breather I have between these stages. Imagine having 2 or more toddlers in diapers and eating baby food at thesame time, no no no not for me if I had to do in another life time, I would space them very well. I dont see any disadvantage in it except for women who start late of course.
Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 11:45am On Jan 22, 2013
WHO Recommendation:

Birth-to-Birth interval is the time period between the index live birth and the preceding live birth.

Inter-pregnancy interval is the time between a pregnancy that ended in a live birth, stillbirth, miscarriage or abortion and the beginning of the next pregnancy.

Birth-to-pregnancy interval is the time between a live birth and the start of the index pregnancy. Assuming nine months gestation, this interval is nine months shorter than a birth-to-birth interval. A 24 month birth-to-pregnancy interval is the approximate equivalent of a 33 month birth-to-birth interval.

Miscarriage/abortion-to-pregnancy interval is the time between the day of the abortion or miscarriage and the first day of the last menstrual period for the index pregnancy

to reduce maternal mortality and preterm births the following intervals are adisable
Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 10:15am On Apr 10, 2013
Vikin: For me after this one, I might go and adopt! embarassed

When did I type this? I can't remember saying this oh!

I think am ready again! tongue
Re: Child Spacing by smartmom(f): 10:46am On Apr 10, 2013
Vikin:

Eh eh eh? you don forget now now? and not quite 3 months ago you were pousss pousss! see the sweetness of babies1 looovl

Abeg give my DIL all the care and attention she needs for max beauty and development o! we have a stake there! howz d breastmilk feeding going?
Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 10:51am On Apr 10, 2013
smartmom:

Eh eh eh? you don forget now now? and not quite 3 months ago you were pousss pousss! see the sweetness of babies1 looovl

Abeg give my DIL all the care and attention she needs for max beauty and development o! we have a stake there! howz d breastmilk feeding going?

grin. It's not my fault oh! It was the hormone speaking...

She Is doing well o, but I will soon be reducing breast feeding, hubby says he wants to be part of the bonding by feeding too...so I bought a baby formula for him to use!

I tried pumping but only small quantity came out, I regret even buying the pump.

Trust all is well
Re: Child Spacing by smartmom(f): 11:18am On Apr 10, 2013
Vikin:

grin. It's not my fault oh! It was the hormone speaking...

She Is doing well o, but I will soon be reducing breast feeding, hubby says he wants to be part of the bonding by feeding too...so I bought a baby formula for him to use!

I tried pumping but only small quantity came out, I regret even buying the pump.

Trust all is well

All is well! glad to hear you all doing well.

Hormone talking indeed! lol , my hubby says when women want to dodge blame they say its hormone wink when they want to take undue credit, they say its a woman's instinct! abi? its our right to change our minds jor!
When did you try the pump thing? dont give up yet o! try pumping when you are fully relaxed say like after you have eaten and taken a proper nap preferably the early hours of the day, and take a comfortable position too, it will flow (oh and dont forget to think happy thots too (like when you 1st met ur hubby smiley, when u knew u were pregnant, when ur princess will be all grown and a mom herself etc) it will flow.
Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 3:38pm On Apr 10, 2013
Vikin how's our princess oh?

Don't worry smartmom I'm not snatching her away grin as long as I'm included in the wedding arrangement .
Re: Child Spacing by smartmom(f): 4:32pm On Apr 10, 2013
jidegirl12: Vikin how's our princess oh?

Don't worry smartmom I'm not snatching her away grin as long as I'm included in the wedding arrangement .

Your position as Matron of Honour is assured. No shaking! How are you doing?

1 Like

Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 8:42pm On Apr 10, 2013
Vikin:

Lol!!!nah pregnancy hormones they talk then.

1 Like

Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 7:46am On Apr 11, 2013
Smartmom, breast pumping is too stressful, and I always have milk spilling every where..I stick to my formula tongue....I even wan stop brea.s.t.t sef as I no want flat bosom tongue

@jidegirl, she is growing fast o! Cries less now! But sleeps in our bed! I can get her to sleep anywhere else for longer hours!

Maybe I wait for 3 yrs again,
Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 7:48am On Apr 11, 2013
byvan:

Lol!!!nah pregnancy hormones they talk then.

cheesy am telling you, I couldn't wait for journey to end.
Re: Child Spacing by smartmom(f): 6:28pm On Apr 11, 2013
Vikin: Smartmom, breast pumping is too stressful, and I always have milk spilling every where..I stick to my formula tongue....I even wan stop brea.s.t.t sef as I no want flat bosom tongue

@jidegirl, she is growing fast o! Cries less now! But sleeps in our bed! I can get her to sleep anywhere else for longer hours!

Maybe I wait for 3 yrs again,

Ooooh see this chick o! who told you bosom feeding gives you a flat bosom eh? its not true! I can prove it is so UNTRUE! after breastfeend my brood of 4 till a minimum of 12months(2 of them 15months sef) I still use a DD cup and its not flat.

Maybe u didnt get a good breast pump so d milk is spilling when its being expressed.

As for d princess sleeping in your bed wink she's smart! doesnt want competition too soon am sure. My baby cot was never used I tell you. Its just as new as when it was bought... looking for whom to dash it to sef.
Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 11, 2013
@Smartmom,Do you mean their is really no difference in your bossoms b/w when you never had kids and now?

1 Like

Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 3:24am On Apr 12, 2013
If I had to do it over I would have them all back to back 18 months apart
Boom boom boom
Rather than spaced out
It is good to raise them all at once together once and for all then rest from baby stuff rather than endless periods with infants in the home

That is my advise to younger wives
18- 24 months apart ,have all the kids you want to have ( 2-4) ,tie your tubes and be done with it
Then watch them grow

Yes one kid is not good IMHO,they are usually very selfish and self centered, with no fertility issues at least 2,3 is ideal,more than 4 is just too much
Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 3:34am On Apr 12, 2013
byvan: I don't believe in too much spacing.I start trying once the kid is one year old.I believe the body contracts better when you are still younger.Atleast minimal spacing helps you to get over with child bearing earlier,after which you can focus on other aspects of your life.I personally hate anything I deem as time wasting,so I intend to be done with diapers before am 28yrs old.Some people after a long spacing,find it difficult to take in when they now desire.I believe time waits for no man.

You got that right
I keep wishing my last born were 6 years older
The older the mother is,the harder the pregnancy is on her body
Of course we know about Down's syndrome and maternal age over 35
Everywoman should try to have all her children before 32 where possible
Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 3:42am On Apr 12, 2013
Ohsisi oooo
Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 3:46am On Apr 12, 2013
jennykadry: Ohsisi oooo

What dear?
Are you an only child? grin
You are an exception grin
Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 3:47am On Apr 12, 2013
nwando:

What dear?
Are you an only child? grin

I wish. Actually I was recently accused of being you recently. Them say we be the same moniker. cheesy grin

So I was just hailing my other moniker which is you. cheesy
Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 3:49am On Apr 12, 2013
jennykadry:

I wish. Actually I was recently accused of being you recently. Them say we be the same moniker. cheesy grin

So I was just hailing my other moniker which is you. cheesy

Really?
Hahahahahaha
The way stories fly around in this place
So u have been sleeping with forum moderators too
I heard that I have , so you must be also since we are one and the same wink
Didn't I read that I was aloy emeka rofl
Na you be aloy emeka now

Please give me the link of the accusation let me read with my naked eyes
Re: Child Spacing by Nobody: 3:54am On Apr 12, 2013
Lmao. Ohsisi them say you be fake doctor cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Letter To Married African Men And Women By Temi Badmus / How Did You Handle Debtors Without Turning To Enemies? / My Mother's Friend Advised My Mother To Disown Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.