Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,858 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly (2815 Views)

Please, I Need A Clean And Easily Maintained Car . / Is It True Dt Most Cars Ve Abt 10l Of Fuel d moment its Fuel Guage Turns Red / Top Pointers Dt D Car Engine Is Sound (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by divinelove(m): 1:41pm On Jan 19, 2013
Hello ndlers,
which good sedan toyota, nissan or honda can easily be maintained with a budget of 10k monthly on average, outside cost of fuel. Transmission shld b auto, engine shld b @ most 2.0l with 4 cylinders. Cost of purchase shld b bw 500k to 700k for its toks. D car shld b made as from 1996.

I kw cost of maintainance depends on d way d car is used but we r lookin @ an average users here.

1 Like

Re: Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by Ikenna351(m): 2:24pm On Jan 19, 2013
Op,

It doesn't work that way, as long as used car is concerned. Aside fueling, there are months cars dont brake down or have need to replace parts. On the other hand, there are months one will spend about 100k or so in keeping the car on the road. It could be replacement of failed auto gearbox, battery, tyre, sensors, mechanical & electrical components, brake pads, engine, etc.

One thing we tend to ignore is that these tokunbo vehicles are used, not brand new. The original or previous owners were maintaining & replacing failed parts before they were sold and shipped into Nigeria. So no matter how clean these tokunbos appear to be, most parts of the cars have been replaced. Reviews have shown that most people that bought their cars brand new over there have one time rebuilt or replaced their auto trans, not witstanding the mileage. Some rebuilt or replaced their transmission that failed even before 100k miles. So, a tokunbo car owner is just enjoying the last repair(s) the previous owner carried out on the car before selling it (some done by car dealers before selling). Some were covered by warranty.

If you really want a car you dont plan to spend more than 10k to maintain in a month if something goes wrong with the car, then buy brand new.

Ikenna.
Re: Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by divinelove(m): 3:59pm On Jan 19, 2013
Thanks ikenna for ur well tot out points. I understand dt cost of maintainance varies with d state of d toks car but am assuming d toks car is in a good shape and nt more than 100,000 miles. 10k monthly equals 120k per year, wen i say on average dts d sum for a year, so cost could come in different ways monthly but d average shld be 10k.

Btw oga ikenna u didnt mention any car dt could fit into d description. Am waitin for dt part.
Re: Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by divinelove(m): 11:44am On Feb 02, 2013
More comments
Re: Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by cretin: 11:51am On Feb 02, 2013
get the camry pencil light......the major reoccuring maintaince in mordern cars is just oil change.....n if u r techy..u cud do it urself.......avg oil price is 3k, [visco 2000, mobil xhp etc, filter say 1k, 100 naira for vulcanizer to blow clean ur engine air filter if necesary......change the oil every 45days or 1500miles, which ever comes first...so u spend less than 5k every 1.5months..the extra change u r saving could be used to solve any major problem that might come up...n if u r careful/buy a good average mileage well maintained car...the only things u might be changing could be the brake pads/shock absorber/tie rods and ball joints/tires etc
Re: Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by sultaan(m): 1:49pm On Feb 02, 2013
You should be able to maintain all cars for less than N10k a month, if you spend more, its a lemon.

Basically change your oil every 3-6 months, brakes and shock every 5 years, flush fluids(brake,trans & steering every 2yrs)

The problem is hat some items are meant to be inspected and replaced as necessary like bushings, mounts, hoses and belts. These items are subjected to a wide range in temperature change, and vibrations.If these items were not replace by a previous owner, the new owner will start having issues as you have seen on cartalk, the novice mechanic start making things worse and that is how you get your N10k a month mechanic stipend grin

If you spend N10k a month you may be spending too much.

Look at the thickness of the seals and you'll why the old one was leaking.

And the shocks shows why your car is bumpy should be changed every 50k miles

1 Like

Re: Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by divinelove(m): 12:38pm On Feb 03, 2013
Keep them coming guys, ur comments r interestin n tot provoking. All cars can b maintained wit dt budget r u kiddin me @ sultaan even suv lol
Re: Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by cretin: 8:22pm On Feb 03, 2013
yes..even an suv!!!.the problem is most nigerians like buying cheap cars...without understanding that the money u think u r saving by buying a cheap/flooded/salvage/junk car...u will still put it back and more along the line..i used an suv for more than 4 years...n for the first 18months..it was only oil i changed!!..........though within the 4 yrs i changed the tierods/brake pads and later shock and tires. the point am making i..i bought a clean ride from the usa..thus all vehicle was upto date in maintainace...unlike if u buy a nigerian used car or a cheap knock off from cotonu/lagos......so guys stop going the el cheapo route!!

2 Likes

Re: Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by divinelove(m): 9:16pm On Feb 03, 2013
@ cretin note taken
Re: Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by sultaan(m): 9:56pm On Feb 03, 2013
divinelove: Keep them coming guys, ur comments r interestin n tot provoking. All cars can b maintained wit dt budget r u kiddin me @ sultaan even suv lol

I don't know any car that was made to cost $60 extra per month after fuel and regular scheduled maintenance.

The idea for a good machine is to have no extra running cost, anything else is a lemon.

1 Like

Re: Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by Nobody: 7:55pm On Feb 04, 2013
If you really intend to keep monthly repairs to the very minimum, I would cut out the one expensive item (on some models, more expensive than the engine).

Automatic transmission. It's not cheap, it requires periodic maintenance - fluid drain, oil pan removal, and cleaned thoroughly, including the magnets. It also needs the filter replaced too at each ATF / oil change. Manual on the other hand, are maintenance-free, with the majority being filled for life.

A decent used ZF automatic for a Jaguar, Range Rover, Audi, BMW can make all the difference between retaining a car, or letting it go in terms of cost, if it dies.

1 Like

Re: Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by Nobody: 8:02pm On Feb 04, 2013
Personally, I can't see any real way of not having £40 monthly contingencies outside of fuelling and routine maintenance. Given the state of Nigeria's roads, and the way automobile are abused, £40 is actually on the low side. Punctures, broken lights from careless drivers, blown suspension dampers and broken coil springs.

Then of course, the scourge of "killer mechanics". After a routine service, some automobile return to their owners with faults that weren't there pre-service.

Points to ponder.
Re: Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by divinelove(m): 7:35am On Feb 05, 2013
@ siena Hmmmm @ cars returnin to d owners wit more faults after visitin d mechanic. Anyway tnx for droppin by n havin ur take on this topic Bro.
Re: Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by divinelove(m): 12:31pm On Feb 14, 2013
more comments
Re: Cars Dt Can B Maintained With 10k Monthly by kuntash: 2:41pm On Feb 14, 2013
^^^^ all these ur "more comments" na wa lol

if u are buying a car, I think Ikenna has said it all. but if u want specifics, I can also hit d nail

I see u mentioned the most popular cars around, however, I can tell u that not all those brands are necessarily cheap to maintain ,

I would advise you to bear in mind some parts the are prone to easy damage especially if u are driving in a place as lagos- head lights, Pointers, rear lights, side mirrors, bumpers, shocks, ball joint, tie rods, fuel/oil/air filters etc,

however, most popular cars around, those parts are not cheap, so trail ur considerations along that line as well

I have not used all the cars, however u can consider these two

Volkswagen Vento
BMW 1989-1997

these two cars, all the parts are cheap, I mean real cheap...

better still if u like, state your choice of cars, then let me match parts for parts, the cost..

(1) (Reply)

Peugeot 406 EW10-V6 Range Vs 2008 Honda Accord V6 / How To Use Driving Hand Signals Properly / For Sale 6 Weeks Old Used Range Rover (Sold)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.