Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning (3359 Views)

See How This Equation And Analogy Prove The Idea Of The Trinity Wrong / The Wars Of Religion / What Is Your Take On Being Dogmatic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jan 19, 2013

2 Likes

Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 19, 2013
Any comments?
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jan 19, 2013
Here is an example of conditioning. People are told from young that the bible/god the absolute moral authority. They are given their boundary and so are afraid to think for themselves outside the bible.

Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by mazaje(m): 4:32pm On Jan 19, 2013
Religions already have answers to the nagging questions, they know they do not offer the best solutions and as such they came up with phrases like the wise will perish or the cleverness of the wise is foolishness in the eyes of god. . .Or if you disbelieve you will die. .
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 19, 2013
mazaje: Religions already have answers to the nagging questions, they know they do not offer the best solutions and as such they came up with phrases like the wise will perish or the cleverness of the wise is foolishness in the eyes of god. . .Of if you disbelieve you will die. .

Aint that the truth?

The question every religious person should ask themselves is "is my religion given me the best logical solution to the issues of life"?
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 19, 2013
You could say the same for atheist indoctrination.
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 19, 2013
davidylan: You could say the same for atheist indoctrination.

Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jan 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

the above cartoon is funny i agree... but it is MISLEADING. the idea being that somehow all atheists want is to let kids think for themselves. IF that was the case then why are atheists forcing out prayer in schools and the teaching of intelligent design? Why not leave it up to the kids to decide for themselves?
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jan 19, 2013
davidylan:

the above cartoon is funny i agree... but it is MISLEADING. the idea being that somehow all atheists want is to let kids think for themselves. IF that was the case then why are atheists forcing out prayer in schools and the teaching of intelligent design? Why not leave it up to the kids to decide for themselves?

Secularism is not only supported by atheists but by secular christians, hundus etc.

Prayers are not removed froms schools. Students can pray on their own in public schools but the school can not enforce or endorse payers.

Secondly intelligent desigjn is not a scientific theory or proper science. You cant teach creationism/intelligent design in religious classes but not science

2 Likes

Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jan 19, 2013
Atheists generally look at the evidence. We teach children to look at the evidence.
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by cyrexx: 5:36pm On Jan 19, 2013
Religion is a mental virus that should be uninstalled for a mind to function at its best..

Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by plaetton: 5:39pm On Jan 19, 2013
davidylan:

In a multicultural and multi-religious society, which god would school prayers be directed towards?
That is the real issue. Its not about ahteist imposing their ideas on children.
Lets say in a typical class room setting where they are 20 christian children, 15 muslim students, 5 Hindu children, and 5 students with no religious affiliation, how would school prayer be appropriate for such a setting?
Should each be allowed to take turns to say their own prayer?

The idea is that there should be no room for that kind of distraction in a school.

Creationism, on the other hand, has absolutely no academic or scientific merit, and you very well know that.
Should we also be teaching kids about Santa Clause and fairies as an academic subject?

Seriously, suppose Pastafarians also demand that their own concept of divinity of the holy FSM be taught in schools, would you not object?

C'mon, let be true to urselves.

1 Like

Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jan 19, 2013
plaetton:

Creationism, on the other hand, has absolutely no academic or scientific merit, and you very well know that.
Should we also be teaching kids about Santa Clause and fairies as an academic subject?

Well if we do not teach creationism on the basis of no evidence, I suggest the same should be implemented for either naturalism or evolution and when I say evolution , may I qualify this with the Origin of MAN.

If you guys say no one is sure about both, why prevent one from being taught and not the other.

Surely, they are both 'fairy tales' , no ?
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Secularism is not only supported by atheists but by secular christians, hundus etc.

Prayers are not removed froms schools. Students can pray on their own in public schools but the school can not enforce or endorse payers.

Secondly intelligent desigjn is not a scientific theory or proper science. You cant teach creationism/intelligent design in religious classes but not science

who is a "secular christian"? That is an oxymoron if i ever saw one
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jan 19, 2013
frosbel:

Well if we do not teach creationism on the basis of no evidence, I suggest the same should be implemented for either naturalism or evolution and when I say evolution , may I qualify this with the Origin of MAN.

If you guys say no one is sure about both, why prevent one from being taught and not the other.

Evolution is a fairytale?

If foolishness is a crime you yould be arrested for multiple counts
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jan 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Evolution is a fairytale?

If foolishness is a crime you yould be arrested for multiple counts

proof kid, where is the proof, the definitive proof of MAN's evolution from a specific source from a specific time.

You cannot base fact on hypotheses, theories and wild guesses.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jan 19, 2013
plaetton:

In a multicultural and multi-religious society, which god would school prayers be directed towards?
That is the real issue. Its not about ahteist imposing their ideas on children.

So the solution to the problem is to completely eliminate the choice of which "gods" to believe? That makes no sense in the context of what you just said... so because we live in a multiracial culture we should then go ahead to eliminate cultural differences? Atheists cry about christians imposing their ideas on kids (which is odd since the USA has been predominantly christian for over 200 yrs) then go right ahead to insist on the abolition of any description of "God" anywhere (i.e. imposing their own godless position)?

plaetton:
Lets say in a typical class room setting where they are 20 christian children, 15 muslim students, 5 Hindu children, and 5 students with no religious affiliation, how would school prayer be appropriate for such a setting?
Should each be allowed to take turns to say their own prayer?
So the solution should be the imposition of the religious inclination of the minority 5 with no religious affiliation?
Lets say in a typical classroom setting where there are 20 American kids, 15 hispanics, 5 indians and 5 students from various parts of Africa. How should instruction in English alone be appropriate for such a setting?
Why is it ok for the kids from other cultures to subjugate their own culture and languages to accomodate the standard english language? Why dont we just start instructing in Swahili?

plaetton:
The idea is that there should be no room for that kind of distraction in a school.

Distraction? That is nonsense. these same schools were teaching intelligent design for 100 yrs and were still able to turn out atheists and nobel prize winning scientists too so your issue was?

plaetton:

Daft. Schools do not advance religion as a scientific alternative... biology, chemistry and physics textbooks contain no reference to God. To completely remove the ability of American kids to learn about the religion on which most of their founding fathers were adherents is a naked bullying tactic by atheists. Like i said earlier... these same schools have been able to turn out the likes of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs e.t.c even while teaching their ideas on intelligent design... much of which constitutes less than 0.01% of the instruction kids are exposed to in school.

And just for your info... santa claus, the tooth fairy etc is part of the curriculum of pre-K kids and standard fare in traditional US schools... i dont hear parents complaining.

plaetton:
Seriously, suppose Pastafarians also demand that their own concept of divinity of the holy FSM be taught in schools, would you not object?

C'mon, let be true to urselves.

This is daft. You simply blend with the predominant culture. If i moved to Dubai i will have no right to insist that islam not be taught in school or that my teachers do not wear a turban to class.

Your excuses are just puerile and dont appear to have come from a vantage point of deep thought. Try again.
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jan 19, 2013
davidylan:

who is a "secular christian"? That is an oxymoron if i ever saw one

Ignorance.

Have you tried google?
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 19, 2013
frosbel:

He doesnt know what he is talking about. Evolution has been taught in schools for over 30 yrs! Open your biology textbooks from the 90s and see it all there. Its not like all schools did was teach christian religious knowledge and pooh pooh any legitimate attempt to teach science no?
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 19, 2013
davidylan:

He doesnt know what he is talking about. Evolution has been taught in schools for over 30 yrs! Open your biology textbooks from the 90s and see it all there. Its not like all schools did was teach christian religious knowledge and pooh pooh any legitimate attempt to teach science no?

Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by plaetton: 6:02pm On Jan 19, 2013
frosbel:

U know better than that. A Theory is not a fairy tale. you teach that to your children if you like. I can bet you that they will laugh at you, if not now, later in their adulthood.
a scientific idea is not in the same category as a religious fiary tale.

How woudl you, for example explain to a child who has already been taught that the sun is responsible for day and night, that the sun was created on the third day of creation? How did the first two days occur?
How do explain that to your child?
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jan 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Ignorance.

Have you tried google?

I dont need google... unlike you who cannot defend his position without plagiarizing the arguments of others.

the bible is quite clear... you are either hot or cold. there is no sitting on the fence.
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jan 19, 2013
plaetton:

U know better than that. A Theory is not a fairy tale. you teach that to your children if you like. I can bet you that they will laugh at you, if not now, later in their adulthood.

How woudl you, for example explain to a child who has already been taught that the sun is responsible for day and night, that the sun was created on the third day of creation? How did the first two days occur?

Tell your child to ignore it if you disagree simple. I was exposed to islamic religious knowledge in secondary school... my parents either told me to ignore what was being taught there or excuse myself from the class if it wasnt required. No arguments, no fight to eliminate IRK from school. Did that make me into a confused adult?
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jan 19, 2013
[quote author=plaetton]

A theory becomes a fairy tale when you hinge a FACT on it while yet unproven. There are too many uncertainties , inconsistencies and missing links , to suggest that evolution ( origin of MAN to be specific ) is a factual option more acceptable than say religion. This is just arrogant hypocrisy.

Well an Idea is an Idea, all well and good, as per above it cannot be equated to logical truth while yet in a state of uncertainty.

Quite funny, my Son has been taught evolution at school quite comprehensively , but has literally ditched this school of thought as very unlikely , he instead chooses to believe in the faith based concept of creation.

Mind you , I never force my children to believe in Christianity, I simply teach them certain truths which they find to be more intelligible than the unintelligible 'fairy tale ' of evolution.
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 19, 2013
davidylan:

I dont need google... unlike you who cannot defend his position without plagiarizing the arguments of others.

the bible is quite clear... you are either hot or cold. there is no sitting on the fence.

Dumbazz, the bible is ambiguous.

Who is a christian

-A tithe preacher or a non-tither?
-A trinitarian or a non-trinitarian?
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jan 19, 2013
[quote author=Logicboy03]

You are such a kid and a sorry case for a good example of ethics, why must you choose to throw around insults and abuse others , when all we are having here is a mature debate ?

Or are you emulating your white masters on YouTube , for example angry atheist and co, who think that by throwing around insults and swear words, they must be making an intellectual point ?

1 Like

Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jan 19, 2013
Frosbel is a brainwashed tool.

I have learnt never ton argue with diehard creationists. They have chosen to throw away reason and evidence. Once someone says that evolution is unporven despite been shown the evidence by atheists for over a year, that person is delusional.

Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 19, 2013
Logicboy03: Frosbel is a brainwashed tool.

I have learnt never ton argue with diehard creationists. They have chosen to throw away reason and evidence. Once someone says that evolution is unporven despite been shown the evidence by atheists for over a year, that person is delusional.

Show us the evidence for the origin of man via evolution and I mean factual specifics.

Stop this 'illiterate approach' to answering questions.

Once we see this factual evidence of yours, we will gladly oblige ourselves to your school of thought.

1 Like

Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Who is a christian

-A tithe preacher or a non-tither?
-A trinitarian or a non-trinitarian?

Its ok to be ignorant. Next time just ask.
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jan 19, 2013
davidylan:

Its ok to be ignorant. Next time just ask.

You couldnt answer the question hmmm?
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 19, 2013
frosbel:

Show us the evidence for the origin of man via evolution and I mean factual specifics.

Stop this 'illiterate approach' to answering questions.

Once we see this factual evidence of yours, we will gladly oblige ourselves to your school of thought.

Mtchew.....you have been shown evidence for evolution numerous times on Nairaland.

I actually prefer it that you reject evolution so that you will suffer the pain and humiliation in your old age when your own children consider you as a fool for being a creationist grin grin grin
Re: The Best Analogy For The Dogmatic Hold Of Religion On Some People's Reasoning by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Mtchew.....you have been shown evidence for evolution numerous times on Nairaland.

I actually prefer it that you reject evolution so that you will suffer the pain and humiliation in your old age when your own children consider you as a fool for being a creationist grin grin grin

The most hilarious part of your one-man evolution crusade is that even your fellow atheists dont take it seriously either. For all your claims of "evidence", its amazing that those who do not believe in religion (i.e. are now "thinkers" led by reason) laugh at the theory of evolution in private.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It A Sin To Kiss Your Boyfriend/girlfriend? / Anxiety Disorder Or Juju?? / Charm Comes Out Of EGGS At Bushiri's Church (video) -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.