Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

5 Important Changes Your Resume Is Crying For - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Important Changes Your Resume Is Crying For (2023 Views)

Your Resume Is Your Ad / 7 Major Reasons Why You Should Avoid Sending Your Resume To Recruiters / When You Lie On Your Resume About Being Proficient In Excel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Important Changes Your Resume Is Crying For by hienyimba(m): 3:02am On Jan 20, 2013
Looking for/hoping to find work in 2013? Here are 5 Changes To Make To Your Resume NOW.

Let’s be honest – nobody’s resume is perfect. And it’s difficult to know how to improve — if you ask five resume experts about the ideal resume , you’ll get five different answers. But the important thing is to make your resume as close to perfect as possible. With that in mind, here are five things you can change on your resume right now to make it as effective as possible.

1) Replace long paragraphs with short bullet points.
Recruiters read resumes in 15 to 30 seconds. Try reading yours in that short amount of time and see how far you get. By bulleting your job descriptions and shortening each sentence, you make it easier for recruiters to digest the maximum amount of information about you.

2) Start every sentence with a verb.
You want to make recruiters see you DOING the things on your resume, and in order to do that, you have to describe your ACTIONS. Starteach bullet point with an action verb (present tense for present jobs, past tense for past jobs). For example:
*. Prepare clients in selecting appropriate insurance coverage given situational needs
*. Troubleshoot issues with existing client policies and assist clients in all respects
*. Mentor new agents and provide advice and guidance using strong interpersonal skills

3) Make your formatting consistent.
Every section title (Experience, Education, Certifications, Summer of Qualifications, etc.) should be the same font size and style. Your spacing should be the same throughout.

4) Add numbers throughout.
The more things you can quantify, the more detailed picture you’ll create for recruiters. For example:
*. Executed training program for 20+ new employees and continuing education for 100 existing employees
*. Successfully obtained 15 new client companies throughout New England
*. Grew company’s Facebook page from 500 fans to 6,000 in six months

5) Be descriptive with companies and job titles.
If you worked for a company that isn’t well-known whose name doesn’t convey their line of business, add that detail onto your resume. And if your job title is confusing or vague, add some detail to that as well. Using parentheses works for both situations. For example:
*. Client Service Representative (customer service)
*. Bennett & Sam (computer software)

Inspired Recruiting

1 Like

Re: 5 Important Changes Your Resume Is Crying For by Businesstools(m): 3:29pm On Jan 20, 2013
The purpose of a resume is not to land you a job but to get you an interview.If your resume is not getting you results,you are advised to consult a professional.
Re: 5 Important Changes Your Resume Is Crying For by hienyimba(m): 12:45am On Jan 22, 2013
i wld agree with you...
Re: 5 Important Changes Your Resume Is Crying For by Nobody: 6:37am On Jan 22, 2013
Pls i wld like 2 knw wen applyin 4 jobs online, do i need to send my aplictn/cova letter as an attachmt or do i type it direct.
If as an attachmt wot wil b body of d mail contain?
Tx
Re: 5 Important Changes Your Resume Is Crying For by hienyimba(m): 2:12am On Jan 23, 2013
Chigo@god:
Pls i wld like 2 knw wen applyin 4 jobs online, do i need to send my aplictn/cova letter as an attachmt or do i type it direct.
If as an attachmt wot wil b body of d mail contain?
Tx

Pls i need the job..
Re: 5 Important Changes Your Resume Is Crying For by hienyimba(m): 11:48pm On Jan 29, 2013
[url=yolpe.com]find out more here[/url]
Re: 5 Important Changes Your Resume Is Crying For by hienyimba(m): 2:02am On Feb 09, 2013
after making all these changes to your resume, check this out
https://www.nairaland.com/1180604/why-dont-snag-job-job
Re: 5 Important Changes Your Resume Is Crying For by hienyimba(m): 3:53am On Jul 01, 2013
Hi peepz. We all can be successful...this website helps you list your unique/awesome abilies e.g home tutor, event planner etc & lets anyone who needs your unique ability find you. Imagine the wonderful world this opens up letting pple becum super heores one at a time. This concept just began testing and you guys can try it out. It wont bite...
http://YOLPE.COM/more.php

(1) (Reply)

Etisalat Interview / Don't Apply If You Can't Write! / Content Writers Wanted –₦40-₦50K Monthly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.