Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,898 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World (45359 Views)

Nigerian Military Ranks And Their Symbols / Nigeria Ranks 4th On Interpol's African Wanted List / Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jan 20, 2013
vislabraye:

You just read my mind.

@topic: The criteria for rating are equipment,size of manpower and funding and not necessarily the quality of manpower .
Can you kindly explain to us what you mean by quality of manpower?
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by PHIPEX(m): 12:30pm On Jan 20, 2013
aribisala0:
There is nothing new so why should I be surprised you are misusing the word "BEST" and also misinterpreting the information. I am not disputing the information just YOUR INTERPRETATION. Does biggest mean best The question really is WHAT DOES THE INFORMATION MEAN
Does it separate Maritime from LAnd or Airbase capabilities. Does it mention whether the country manufactures or BUYS arms and what significance that might have.
Saudi Arabia spends more than many countries on arms but their strength is VERY DOUBTFUL

does it help us predict outcome if any of those on the list engage each other. Does it matter WHERE the engagement happens eg.

If the US were to engage Chinese forces in China will the outcome be the same as if they engage them in Mexico or in Burma.
A country may be very good in defending itself but have little offensive capability.

The facts are what they are but please eschew that word BEST that is YOUR OWN INTERPRETATION.
Some countries are very strong on water while others have next to No Naval capacity . Some countries can deploy outside their continent while others cannot.so the comparisons are meaningless in practice.
Can Nigeria go to war in Tanzania

Certainly American forces were NOT best in Vietnam and are struggling to be best in Afghanistan.

I agree with you, this ranking should be about possesion of weapon of war rather than being the best. Compare the amount Egypt and SA budgeted for their Military in d statistics above and you'll discover that each of them budgeted double of the amount Nigeria budgeted for same period meaning they can afford to buy more Military hardwares than Nigeria. Does it then imply that if Nigeria doubles it's budget for the Military and uses it to acquire some military hardware its ranking will improve? For there to be ranking on which country has the BEST military, the skills of the military personnel should be noted because. For instance, 5 military men who have seen several wars (both home and away) from Nigeria maybe be able to take care of 15 Soldiers from Ethiopia who have not been to major wars in several years even with the weapons at their arsenal. Moreso, should a country that is landlocked be seen as worse-off simply because it has no Navy?. The title is misleading.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by PHIPEX(m): 12:31pm On Jan 20, 2013
aribisala0:
There is nothing new so why should I be surprised you are misusing the word "BEST" and also misinterpreting the information. I am not disputing the information just YOUR INTERPRETATION. Does biggest mean best The question really is WHAT DOES THE INFORMATION MEAN
Does it separate Maritime from LAnd or Airbase capabilities. Does it mention whether the country manufactures or BUYS arms and what significance that might have.
Saudi Arabia spends more than many countries on arms but their strength is VERY DOUBTFUL

does it help us predict outcome if any of those on the list engage each other. Does it matter WHERE the engagement happens eg.

If the US were to engage Chinese forces in China will the outcome be the same as if they engage them in Mexico or in Burma.
A country may be very good in defending itself but have little offensive capability.

The facts are what they are but please eschew that word BEST that is YOUR OWN INTERPRETATION.
Some countries are very strong on water while others have next to No Naval capacity . Some countries can deploy outside their continent while others cannot.so the comparisons are meaningless in practice.
Can Nigeria go to war in Tanzania

Certainly American forces were NOT best in Vietnam and are struggling to be best in Afghanistan.

I agree with you, this ranking should be about possesion of weapon of war rather than being the best. Compare the amount Egypt and SA budgeted for their Military in d statistics above and you'll discover that each of them budgeted double of the amount Nigeria budgeted for same period meaning they can afford to buy more Military hardwares than Nigeria. Does it then imply that if Nigeria doubles it's budget for the Military and uses it to acquire some military hardware its ranking will improve? For there to be ranking on which country has the BEST military, the skills of the military personnel should be noted because for instance, 5 military men who have seen several wars (both home and away) from Nigeria maybe be able to take care of 15 Soldiers from Ethiopia who have not been to major wars in several years even with the weapons at their arsenal. Moreso, should a country that is landlocked be seen as worse-off simply because it has no Navy?. The title is misleading.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by garrickbs: 12:31pm On Jan 20, 2013
Galaxydon1: This is fake. Imagine india 4th and israel 13. Its not properly organised. From the look of things. Israel should be the number one. Cos americans are afraid of israel.

Countries are ranked in terms of manpower and the number of weapons they have. In terms of intelligence, Israel rocks. They won the "Six-Day War" and many more by intelligence.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Ideasroole: 12:36pm On Jan 20, 2013
Galaxydon1: This is fake. Imagine india 4th and israel 13. Its not properly organised. From the look of things. Israel should be the number one. Cos americans are afraid of israel.
Ur Source pls?

Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by aribisala0(m): 12:38pm On Jan 20, 2013
garrickbs:

Countries are ranked in terms of manpower and the number of weapons they have. In terms of intelligence, Israel rocks. They won the "Six-Day War" and many more by intelligence.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War
Israel's focus is defence of Israel and their military intelligence cannot and should not be compared to a country that has aggressive ambitions they are very different things . This is true for military might as there are many "small" countries that can defend their country agains anyone
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Libkid(m): 12:40pm On Jan 20, 2013
cyril83: simply bcoz they believe in juju coz they lack tactical training besides you dare not try american army or ussr with ur juju
if u think say juju is involved.bro go and slap an army office or bera still go argue with him and tell me wat u see
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Libkid(m): 12:42pm On Jan 20, 2013
Humblesam:
For ur dream abi? Well, too much of american war films dey worry you. Were naija army dey use leg enter,american army dey use machine,i swear. Go ask UN peace keepers in countries wer naija soldiers bn deployed,then u go knw say American dey doff thier hats 4 our soldier. If u can give naija army machines needed in this era,then no one wld dare our army....they are good,just the administration that is killing us here.So pls stop underating and belittling our Army. Am proud of them.
u are on point
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Ngwakwe: 1:02pm On Jan 20, 2013
For Nigerian Active Reserve Personnel, the figure is completely wrong.

We have:
Niger Delta Peoples Volunteer Force = 50,000
OPC = 700,000
MASSOB = 800,000
Boko Boys (known and unknown) = 4,000,000

And others too numerous to mention = 30,000,000.

Total = 35,550,000

Make they come try us
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Chongaiman: 1:11pm On Jan 20, 2013
all4naija: [i]Shame on you too!. . .

Sorry, my guy. You were not the intended recipient. Network wahala.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by eniorisha(m): 1:12pm On Jan 20, 2013
if ds post is anyfin 2 go by,then our darling country is not debt-ridden as some people would belief.(my 2cent.)
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jan 20, 2013
Too much to be optimistic
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by andrewza: 1:12pm On Jan 20, 2013
Ngwakwe: For Nigerian Active Reserve Personnel, the figure is completely wrong.

We have:
Niger Delta Peoples Volunteer Force = 50,000
OPC = 700,000
MASSOB = 800,000
Boko Boys (known and unknown) = 4,000,000

And others too numerous to mention = 30,000,000.

Total = 35,550,000

Make they come try us

Source and are those national milltary reserves.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Sagamite(m): 1:13pm On Jan 20, 2013
all4naija: Things you highlighted are not military might. It is lack of organizability and disciplinary measures. Military without discipline can never fight war and win,it is simple as that!

I never said they were military might!

I am just highlighting that Nigerian Army are not highly ranked in anything positive. Lets not praise rubbish.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jan 20, 2013
eni orisha: if ds post is anyfin 2 go by,then our darling country is not debt-ridden as some people would belief.(my 2cent.)
Nigeria still owes $9,000,000 debt.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by luq4u(m): 1:16pm On Jan 20, 2013
Tolexander: guy! The list no complete jor.
What about juju like okigbe(cutlass proof), aluwo(hit and fall), ayeta(bullet proof), tude, afeeri(disappearing charm), agbefuye(carry anything with ease), amudo(Bleep without the gurl saying no), olonde(cease death), ofe(disappear), ewon sanpana(small pox handcuff). And those weapons are just numerous and uncountable.
Ogun po!! It begs the question, why Insecurity?
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by cyril83(m): 1:16pm On Jan 20, 2013
Sagamite:

I am just highlighting that Nigerian Army are not highly ranked in anything positive. Lets not praise rubbish.
never mind them...what can naija army do other than oppresing civilian
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jan 20, 2013
Sagamite:

Oh! You were been sarcastic! I didn't spot that in time.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jan 20, 2013
aribisala0:

I do not know where you get "BEST" from. Does the size of a military have anything to do with its quality in terms of skill or technology.

I believe you do not understand the information you are posting at all.
To say Nigeria's military ranks 4th in Africa is a very misleading statement. At one time Sadaam Hussein had one of the largest armies on the Planet. See how quickly America dismantled them.

Very correct.

They ranked countries based on their known military strenght, personal and equipment.

But lo and behold, numbers do not mean anything in war.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by andrewza: 1:41pm On Jan 20, 2013
virtuoso01:

Very correct.

They ranked countries based on their known military strenght, personal and equipment.

But lo and behold, numbers do not mean anything in war.

Global secuirty ranking is even worse than you say. It mentuons equiment numbers but not what equment. 100 let's say modified T72s is far better than 200 old T55s. It mentions number of solders but not there level of training what equment. I would rather have 10 good solders with good equment(not even the best just good) than 50 or even a 100 untraind AK weilding kids.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by aribisala0(m): 1:45pm On Jan 20, 2013
I remember the local draughts champion in my area one Igbo guy whose name I forget.

His favourite expression "one tack two". Believe me nobody could play him 20;20
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by edoreedore(m): 1:46pm On Jan 20, 2013
cyril83: Nigerian army ke...You mean those cowards, rapists and looters were ranked 4th in africa?...anywayz i guess peace making they like doing the best coz instead of engaging they'll busy looting goods and raping under age...besides i dnt think your source is real, why indian 4th and isrealites numba 13? For this I think ur high on mat stick
From your comment, e b like say army don rape ya mama, u just dey show ur illetracy my friend
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by daylae(m): 1:50pm On Jan 20, 2013
See ojoro. My country cameroon no dey the list.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Sagamite(m): 2:00pm On Jan 20, 2013
cyril83: never mind them...what can naija army do other than oppresing civilian

all4naija: Oh! You were been sarcastic! I didn't spot that in time.

This is the kind of illogical, ill-disciplined, moronic person we pile up in the Nigerian military.

https://www.nairaland.com/992912/fashola-arrests-army-officers-brt/9#11475601
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by dokunbam(m): 2:01pm On Jan 20, 2013
Ganys: .......Choi...i thought Nigeria is The Giant of Africa shocked shocked shocked
Hmmm......Maybe we are the Giant in Corruption, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery and terrorism undecided undecided undecided

add cyber crime, 419
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jan 20, 2013
Rolling.:

The least you could say is that you are surprise as well as every other person besides this is the source of the information and you may either chose to accept or refute it.

Sources: US Library of Congress; CIA.gov/CIA World Factbook; EIA.gov; wikipedia.com; energy.eu; SIPRI.org.

I think the vagabond of no nation will be happy now that your source includes US! Some people cannot just accept anything remotely "positive" about Nigeria! its incredible.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by einsteine(m): 2:10pm On Jan 20, 2013
PHIPEX: I agree with you, this ranking should be about possesion of weapon of war rather than being the best. Compare the amount Egypt and SA budgeted for their Military in d statistics above and you'll discover that each of them budgeted double of the amount Nigeria budgeted for same period meaning they can afford to buy more Military hardwares than Nigeria. Does it then imply that if Nigeria doubles it's budget for the Military and uses it to acquire some military hardware its ranking will improve? For there to be ranking on which country has the BEST military, the skills of the military personnel should be noted because for instance, <b>5 military men who have seen several wars (both home and away) from Nigeria maybe be able to take care of 15 Soldiers from Ethiopia who have not been to major wars in several years</b> even with the weapons at their arsenal. Moreso, should a country that is landlocked be seen as worse-off simply because it has no Navy?. The title is misleading.

The average Ethiopian soldier has more military experience than the Nigerian soldier. They have been battling Eritrea and Al Shebab for years. Before that, they've had skirmishes with italy. They have always taken their military as serious business hence their ranking on this list.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Ikwerefistson: 2:15pm On Jan 20, 2013
Rolling.:

My great country Nigeria

Nigeria PwrIndx: 1.3412
 MANPOWER
 Total Population: 162,470,737 [2012]
 Available Manpower: 72,319,838 [2011]
 Fit for Service: 40,707,659 [2011]
 Reaching Military Age Annually: 3,455,147 [2011]
 Active Frontline Personnel: 100,000 [2012]
 Active Reserve Personnel: 0 [2012]

LAND SYSTEMS
Tank value includes MBT, light tanks and tank destroyer systems, wheeled or tracked.
 Tanks: 363 [2012]
 Armored Fighting Vehicles: 1,407 [2012]
 Self-Propelled Guns: 48 [2012]
 Towed Artillery Pieces: 680 [2012]
 Rocket Projectors (MLRS): 0 [2012]
 Portable Mortar Systems: 300 [2012]
 Portable AT Weapons: 120 [2012]
 Logistical Vehicles: 6,000

AIR POWER
Includes fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircraft from all branches of service.
All aircraft types accounted for including UAVs, transports, gunships, recon, naval, trainers, etc...
 Total Aircraft: 294 [2012]
 Helicopters: 84 [2012]

NAVAL POWER
Aircraft Carrier value does not include helicopter carrier-type vessels.
 Total Strength: 37 (includes auxiliaries)
 Aircraft Carriers: 0 [2012]
 Frigates: 2 [2012]
 Destroyers: 0 [2012]
 Corvettes: 4 [2012]
 Submarines: 0 [2012]
 Coastal Craft: 16 [2012]
 Mine Warfare: 2 [2012]
 Amphibious Assault: 0 [2012]

RESOURCES (PETROLEUM)
 Oil Production: 2,528,000 bbl/day [2012]
 Oil Consumption: 52,000 bbl/day [2010]
 Proven Oil Reserves: 37,200,000,000 bbl/day [2012]

LOGISTICAL
 Labor Force: 52,500,000 [2012]
 Merchant Marine Strength: 89 [2012]
 Major Ports and Terminals: 3
 Roadway Coverage: 193,200
 Railway Coverage: 3,505
 Serviceable Airports: 53 [2012]

FINANCIAL (in USD)
 Defense Budget: $2,215,000,000 [2012]
 External Debt: $9,640,000,000 [2011]
 Reserves of Foreign Exchange and Gold: $35,210,000,000 [2012]
 Purchasing Power Parity: $418,700,000,000 [2012]

GEOGRAPHY (in km)
 Square Land Area: 923,768 km
 Coastline: 853 km
 Shared Border: 4,047 km
 Waterways: 8,600 km

http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Nigeria
excelent bro kep it up
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by usb87baby: 2:30pm On Jan 20, 2013
lain: Na wa for naija o even in 2012 no submarine.. Hmmm

guy b4 u talk Nigerian defense policy is always base on its threat
we do not need submarines if Ghana or Cameroons decide to get 1 dats d day we
will start tinking of acquiring 1 to then its a waste of our limited resources.....
u all should b more patriotic than this.....
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Symphony007: 2:33pm On Jan 20, 2013
This ranking is outdated!! The nigerian military is second to south africa on this continet!! It's a joke that the only african contry to ever own a nuclear weapon is ranked 3rd? The egyptian military is heavily depleated and suffering from cuts after the country's revolution and ongoing economic crisis. This is the correct rundown. South africa-nigeria-egypt and ethopia.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by KnowAll(m): 2:51pm On Jan 20, 2013
[size=18pt]HOW COULD ETHOPIA BE D SECOND IN AFRICA, WHEN THEY LOST PART OF THEIR TERRITORY IN A WAR TO ERETRIA AND THEY COULD NOT EVEN DEFEAT AL-SHEBAB DESPITE SEVERAL ATTEMPTS IN SOMALIA[/size].
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by vislabraye(m): 2:59pm On Jan 20, 2013
all4naija: Can you kindly explain to us what you mean by quality of manpower?

Quality of manpower would have to do with the skills or competence of the military personels.
For instance, US is the most equipped but Israel has the best infantries in the world as well as intelligence.
Also Nigeria has the best army in Africa, but was surprise to see Ethiopia ahead of us. Nigeria's military does not have the best equipment. But when it comes to ground combat, only few countries in the world compare to us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Saraki And Dino Melaye Visit Ibrahim Babangida In Minna,Pose With Him(pic) / States And Number Of Federal Civil Servants / Atiku Ranks Number One, Buhari 12, On Twitter Trending Worldwide- Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.