Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:12 AM

Owo Aje(hands Of Wealth) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Owo Aje(hands Of Wealth) (3850 Views)

Oko Aje - Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Owo Aje(hands Of Wealth) by Walexz02(m): 12:58pm On Jan 20, 2013
Good day NL's,
There is this believe in Yoruba culture( I dont know of others) that there are certain people who posses owo aje, for the sake of those who are non yorubas in the house, people who are called olowo aje are believed by yoruba's to be people whom when they buy something from you as the first customer of the day,then there is possibility of having good market that day(i.e you may sell all the goods you brought to market that day).
A good example I will like to give is that of myself and my Landlady when I was in saki. She use to sell fried yam,so, when ever she wants to start frying she would want me to be the first person to buy from her(believing that if I do,market would be good that day) i.e she belived I have ówó aje.
Likewise there is another believe by yoruba market women(some men inclusive) that the quantity of goods you sell first in the day will determing how market will be for the day...
I had a fresh experience of the later yestarday evening when I went to buy Akara(beans cake),so, it was the first set that the woman was frying when I arrived and luckingly I meet some people theire waiting as well. So, immidietly the Akara was ready to be served,the boy that came first gave her his 20naira and the woman ignored him and asked the next person how much Akara he wants to buy, 80naira he answerd and she sell to him and also sell to other people that wants to buy withing dt range(me inlusive). It was after then that she attend to the boy who came first bt wants to buy 20naira Akara. Though, when she was packing my own Akara I asked her why she did nt answer the little poor boy, and her response was"mi o le fi muri kan se'wo"( I can not start today's business wt 20naira).
Have you ever experinced either of this superstition,do you believe in it and is this superstitio real ?
Re: Owo Aje(hands Of Wealth) by Walexz02(m): 7:44pm On Jan 21, 2013
Na wa o...nobody here ever had these experience?
Re: Owo Aje(hands Of Wealth) by ghostofsparta(m): 11:42am On Feb 10, 2013
Hi Walexz02

Please don't feel bad. It's not good to identify oneself as such. That's why no one is sharing the experience with you. 1 out of 50 people are born gifted with the o̩wo̩ aje (not ówó aje). It's 10% similar to the foreign idea of 'Midas Touch'.

Availably Yours
Ghost-of-Sparta
Scientific Researcher of The Supernatural
Re: Owo Aje(hands Of Wealth) by ifyalways(f): 12:26pm On Feb 10, 2013
It exists in Igbo land . . . aka ahia is what its called.

There's something i've come to notice with superstitions and even religious beliefs,it works when you trust and believe in it.Whatever you chose to be your spiritual reality controls to some extent,your physical reality.

In Igbo land,when you are the first caller to a stall,the seller most times asks if you have a market or good face ie ihu oma because you are the one opening her market ie igba aka ahia for the day.The buyer is expected to reply in the affirmative and wish the seller bumper sales.If for any reason it does not happen that way,the seller might be forced to blame it on the first-time buyer.
Re: Owo Aje(hands Of Wealth) by Walexz02(m): 1:38pm On Feb 10, 2013
@ify, its nt only in superstitions, its in almost all part of our day-day activities.
I was just wandering what will hapen if I was dt small poor boy.* i go yab d man run comot* t
There are somthings we just have to abandone regarding all these superstition..
@sparta, thanks, have made d corrections.

(1) (Reply)

Anecdotal History Of The Sultans Of Sokoto From Bello Till Now / New Deji of Akure Emerges / Facts About Ibadan People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.