Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

What Happen At US Port Of Entry - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Happen At US Port Of Entry (16987 Views)

10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry / My Experience With South African Immigration At Port Of Entry. / Refusal Of Entry Clearance (uk Visa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happen At US Port Of Entry by jookco(m): 4:04pm On Mar 02, 2008
My best friend hold B2 multiple 2 years business visa to the United States but the consular clearly inform him that the visa can only get him to the aircraft to lift to USA port of entry but does not guarrantee he can enter the United States that the Homeland security and the port of entry will verify if he he can enter and decide hows many days he have to stay.
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by almondjoy(f): 4:24pm On Mar 02, 2008
jookco:

My best friend hold B2 multiple 2 years business visa to the United States but the consular clearly inform him that the visa can only get him to the aircraft to lift to USA port of entry but does not guarrantee he can enter the United States that the Homeland security and the port of entry will verify if he he can enter and decide hows many days he have to stay.

That is absolutely correct. Your getting a visa does not guarantee you entry into the US. Homeland security agents make the final decisions and have the right to send you back via your arriving aircraft if you are found wanting in any area or someone has used your name and credentials to commit any unmentionables.

Yes! The department of Homeland Security has the final say.
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by jookco(m): 4:34pm On Mar 02, 2008
I belive this kind of thing does not happen regularly, my friend does not have any criminal record and have not been to the United States before, but is afraid of traveling with Nigerian passport and doe snot realy know the character of homeland security agents , but he was told by a friend that they are not friendly with Nigerians
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by PapaBrowne(m): 5:32pm On Mar 02, 2008
Thats normal with every type of visa issued by most countries.Your entry to that country is subject to immigration at the point of entry.
However, people are hardly ever turned back by immigration.Although, i know of a couple of people who were turned back.One was turned back for coming in on a visiting visa(UK) with a one way flight ticket.The other was turned back for working illegally in USA on her previous visit.
So it happens, but hardly ever.
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by Tats(m): 12:32am On Mar 03, 2008
NB: B1 is for Business and B2 is for Tourism (not the other way)

just a thought,
If you have a B1 Visa and on entry to the U.S, you say you are coming for Tourism, would that not be an issue with the Immigration officer? vice versa also.

3 Likes

Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by almondjoy(f): 1:56am On Mar 03, 2008
jookco:

I believe this kind of thing does not happen regularly, my friend does not have any criminal record and have not been to the United States before, but is afraid of traveling with Nigerian passport and doe snot realy know the character of homeland security agents , but he was told by a friend that they are not friendly with Nigerians

Most countries in the world do not welcome Nigerians because of our negative images world-wide.  If your friend has a clean background, he does not have to worry about any thing.  Only the guilty are afraid.  Homeland security agents do not have to be your friends. 

They are there to do their jobs professionally, not to make friends. That is what Nigerians do best.  Making friends and smiling like Christmas goats when they should be working.

8 Likes

Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by Shinatu: 9:41am On Mar 03, 2008
As long as you(I mean anyone) do not have issues with the US, no record of you taking what does not belong to you (like many Nigerian pregnant women who go to the US to make claims on Government money which is only for US tax payers). then there is no reason to be afraid of being turned back.
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by jookco(m): 5:40pm On Mar 03, 2008
Ok guys thanks for your advice, it's same thing all over the world.
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by jookco(m): 12:11pm On Mar 07, 2008
I still want some opinion.
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by omega25red(m): 3:48pm On Mar 07, 2008
The only thing you need is to have your story straight
that is, if you are here on business make sure you have your contacts where you will be staying and how much money you are bringing in taken care of. "Home land security no dey play"
but then again there is nothing to be afraid of just make sure your documents are real and you have your story straight. Besides whats the worst that could happen? just relax and dont be too eager to share information you weren't asked because that is a sign of nervousness.

1 Like

Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by jookco(m): 4:12pm On Mar 07, 2008
Thanks Omega, still need more opinion and options
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by jookco(m): 7:19pm On Mar 10, 2008
More opinion please
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 11, 2008
jookco:

afraid of traveling with Nigerian passport

let me steal a quote here- afriad of Nigerian Passport?

i think u should be more relaxed that they r more afraid of middle east or pakistani passport than Nigerian passport

i have traveled to a lot of countries and i display my nigerian passport as i go thru immigrations and stop believing in all the lies that Nigerian passport is Evil, if u travel out of Nigeria with no reason other than to hustle am sorry for u, then u would regret the Nigerian passport u have.

the strange thing about Nigerian passport is the carrier not the passport
apart from USA u would even get more hassles when ever leaving Nigeria, than any where else

in Eu countries depending on the day or mood of officials u can just walk all thru to the exit with only 1 or 2 stops

ask ur friend the question (if not u) if he has genuine reasons to go to the USA and if he has plans to be back when he is supposed to? then he should walk in boldly and address any questions -

the questions are similar questions worldwide even Nigerian immigrations do ask foreigners such questions

and do u know to get a Nigerian visa is more difficult than u imagine

3 Likes

Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by jookco(m): 8:11pm On Mar 11, 2008
having travel to many countries, I do not see anthing wrong with Nigerians passport, but the fact is that the guy want to see the beuty of USA do his business and come back, but it's said that the DHS at the US port of entry ask too many question sometimes and maybe you can't answer all and it will result to deportation, it's said that this people are very strict on Nigerians, I wonder how many minutes it takes them to intewiew one person at the port of entry.
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by Tats(m): 10:53pm On Mar 11, 2008
Why is your friend bothering about what will happen when he gets to the U.S? If everything regarding his travel is straight and his story to the immigration official is consistent, then there should be no problem. I was escalated to second level immigration/security check during my second visit to the U.S several years ago and I came out without any issues! The key is be calm, consistent in what you say and offer reasonable explanations even when they ask you seemingly silly questions!
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by jookco(m): 8:41pm On Mar 12, 2008
I think it's not difficult as people think, but some guys where deported back to the country because they have one way ticket with visit visa and otjher come back on other because the don't have enough cash, so can somebody tell me how much a business visa holder need to show the DHL
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by algood(f): 7:23pm On Mar 13, 2008
I dont think there is anything to be worried about, NIgerians are not the worst people on earth.

Its true the homeland security people have a final say in who enters there country at the port of entry.

I was told same when i was travelling for the first time to US on F2 Visa with two kid.

I was scared as well with the way, it was painted that getting visa is not automatic to entry.

I have a one way ticket.

At the port of entry the only thing the officer said when i handed my passport and the kid passport to him, was oh am on study and i said nope, its my husband that is studying.

Thats all , and we did entered.

If your friend is going on a bussiness visist, he should no how much he should have for the kind of business he want to transact, also he should be able to answer questions correctly just has he was asked at the consular officer .

I am proud of my Nigeria passport, I dont think the passport is the problem but the individual holding passport.
I applied for Drver License here, i dont have social security number, but the only thing i can present is my passport, which i did

So if your friend doesnt have any skeletal in his cupboard , he should not be nervous but proof he knows what he his in the state for.

all the best and remain cool

1 Like

Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by omega25red(m): 8:14pm On Mar 14, 2008
another comment
The Nigerian passport is more hated in Africa than in the western countries an example me and my sister were in Senegal years ago when i had m Nigerian passport and as soon as they saw us one guy said very loudly "oooooooooh Nigerians, we need to make sure we have more people check them properly" that was so embarrassing and boy did they check us. Anyway like some others said if you are on business you should have a TWO WAY TICKET and just be easy it's natural to be scared most especially when you keep hearing horror stories and have your story straight don't try to improvise and only answer questions you were asked.
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by kenflipper(m): 9:55pm On Mar 14, 2008
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by olofinjeje: 11:49am On Mar 16, 2008
A visa on your passport does not necessarily guarantee your entry to the issuing country-this is actually stated on most issued visas.

I have had a british ,white friend turned back at the US border(JFK) airport.Trust me the Americans do not treat you as a Nigerian any different from other nationals that require visas-although it may appear so-remember they are a nation with the greatest melting pot of cultures,nationalities,colours and languages

Have your story straight-no contradictions;have the correct details of your trip and DO NOT ACT LIKE YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG.

IT'S ALSO ALL IN THE BODY LANGUAGE.

1 Like

Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by Delta007(m): 7:04pm On Mar 16, 2008
almondjoy:

Most countries in the world do not welcome Nigerians because of our negative images world-wide. If your friend has a clean background, he does not have to worry about any thing. Only the guilty are afraid. Homeland security agents do not have to be your friends.

They are there to do their jobs professionally, not to make friends. That is what Nigerians do best. Making friends and smiling like Christmas goats when they should be working.
grin grin grin
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by TheSly: 7:21pm On Mar 16, 2008
All said !!

Good luck poster wink
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by bigbumper(f): 7:30pm On Mar 26, 2008
You just need to be straightforward like everyone else said. Those people are only suspicious of everyone coming to their country for the first time regardless of who you are or where you are coming from.
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by pahtahkee: 7:47pm On Mar 26, 2008
The US immigration is full of abracadabra for me. Never gotten a hold of it yet. Or perhaps am too lazy to study them. embarassed
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by martin007(m): 3:38pm On Mar 18, 2009
i think its easier coming into Nigeria than any other country, I doubt if you even need a Visa, lol ( i think you do!) olofinjeje, Long time, i hope you are fine?
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by omega25red(m): 3:47pm On Mar 19, 2009
I know this post is old but what ever happened to your friend? did he get in?
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by blacksta(m): 5:06pm On Mar 20, 2009
omega25red:

I know this post is old but what ever happened to your friend? did he get in?

The Guy no get liver
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by realcool: 4:12pm On Mar 23, 2009
you got the visa Ur self and u went for interview so the truths is that they will only ask u same question which u filled the form, and remember to take all relevant document with u like hotel reservation or where u are suppose to stay like UK sometimes ask for the invitation letter u where given, its quick simple and the will see the fear in u and ask for more question, if they have doubt u might be sent back home on base that it might not be a genuine reason u are traveling. may be Na arrange B1 visa
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by Ulamaster(m): 8:35am On Mar 25, 2009
Take a look at this video documentary for some perspective to your question.
It does not however answer all.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-245995.0.html
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by nonnypet: 11:53pm On Apr 21, 2012
Pls hause, all these issues u guys said abt port of entry,does it also apply for dv lottery winners.are they also bein turned bak at port of entry?
Re: What Happen At US Port Of Entry by redcliff: 9:15pm On Apr 22, 2012
Well homeland security sef has a lot of mouth so tey the have the power to reduce or increase your stay. They extended my sister's visa 2months after expiration. That's how mouthed they are

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

In Search Of Home Cooking..., A Nairalander's Trip To Columbus (picts) / Royal Air Maroc. Any Contact Info / Ibomair To Welcome 2 New Aircrafts By March 2021 - Governor Udom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.