Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,913 members, 7,806,650 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? (16313 Views)

Policeman Spotted At The Back Of Danfo In Lagos / Policeman Orders Woman To Bare Her Breast In Public Or Be Arrested (photos) / What Stops You From Doing It Even When You Have The Opportunity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by LagosBoi2(m): 11:45pm On Jan 20, 2013
Nigerian Police are the best and easiest people to deal with, Just be civil and co-oporate with them, be friendly as much as possible (of course fake). if you get family problem for house, pocket am, no just use that kind face look officer or else you go chop slap.
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by samakson(m): 11:45pm On Jan 20, 2013
It is Police Language bet the guy is an officer smiley
sagaciousblog: PLEASE,IS THIS ONE SWAHILI OR ENGLISH?
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jan 20, 2013
Emusan: A guy was beat mercilessly just because he asked the policemen for identification after they asked him to come down from his car.

Pls what are the things to say or not to say, when police says identify.

If the guy had a poor command of English like you, why doesn't he deserve the merciless beating from the police officer?

1 Like

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by makhany4t1(m): 12:04am On Jan 21, 2013
Kiss their ars**s and they let Ɣ☺ΰ go
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 12:11am On Jan 21, 2013
When a police man stops you no matter the time of the day just say good morning..... grin its a smart trick
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by bashydemy(m): 12:11am On Jan 21, 2013
When a Policeman stop you, All you need is to know how to respond to them and the next thing they become your friend, I have been through this for so many times even with SARS

1 Like

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Shankboye(m): 12:27am On Jan 21, 2013
Dis space is not for sale, Beware of 419 even my son kamoru, omo ale jatijati grin
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Gluckdude(m): 12:53am On Jan 21, 2013
The best way is for u to look at the officer's name on his chest, its always boldly written.
then calmly greet him by his exact name. i.e his name is wale sanusi.
first thing u say when u are stopped is " Good Afternoon Mr Wale.
believe me u will be done with the the stop and search in less than a minute and told to continue your journey.
without him asking for a tip.
my 2 cent.

4 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by talktimi(m): 1:05am On Jan 21, 2013
Legalplayerz: I visited Nigeria few months ago for a week, and I was stopped by police twice. I was able to deal with them easily because I acted Nigerian and tried to avoid too much English language. Just stop when they ask you to, and be polite to them. This two stop and search cost me N15k, for doing nothing.
15k ke ? It seems you were still calculating in dollars. I once gave a police man 4oo naira out of the 18k he wanted to extort from me. Next time keep smaller change in your car just in case the "boys" need something. Highest 5h or 1k kpere, tell them you'll see them later
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by infobiz9ja(m): 2:25am On Jan 21, 2013
If you ever get flagged down by a police officer just say 'Espri De Call' you would be left off da hook in no time. Follow @ infobiz9ja

1 Like

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 3:04am On Jan 21, 2013
I don't give them nothing, I just show them the sticker on my windsheild.
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by seunajia: 3:20am On Jan 21, 2013
infobiz9ja: If you ever get flagged down by a police officer just say 'Espri De Call' you would be left off da hook in no time. Follow @ infobiz9ja

WTF? Which spirit dey call you? gringringrin LWKMD

1 Like

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by j4jj: 3:32am On Jan 21, 2013
Just pretend to be a gentle deaf & dumb!Bebebe! Dem go free u strait
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 3:58am On Jan 21, 2013
infobiz9ja: If you ever get flagged down by a police officer just say 'Espri De Call' you would be left off da hook in no time. Follow @ infobiz9ja
With this ur ''espri de call'' many can die or chop dirty slap'' ooo....

When u re not an Officer/Force..... Don't tell police ''esprit de corps'' ooo or else u go hear am dat!!!!
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by eaglechild: 4:57am On Jan 21, 2013
seunajia:

WTF? Which spirit dey call you? gringringrin LWKMD
LWKMD chai!
"espri de call"
"the spirit de call"
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by blackrules1(m): 5:07am On Jan 21, 2013
Legalplayerz: I visited Nigeria few months ago for a week, and I was stopped by police twice. I was able to deal with them easily because I acted Nigerian and tried to avoid too much English language. Just stop when they ask you to, and be polite to them. This two stop and search cost me N15k, for doing nothing.

Guy, talk true; you sure say dem no see human body-parts for your car those two times?

1 Like

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by ba7man(m): 5:12am On Jan 21, 2013
Was sitting in d passanger side in front, my friend was driving while travelling once. I had fast-food in a nylon bag between my feet. Coincidentally, as my friend slowed down at a check-point, I bent down to pick a snack from the bag......See gbege!!! They sharply cocked their guns, pointed it at us and started screamin, "if you Move!!"...."Raise your hands!!!"...and like 20 other commands at once. I raised my hands slowly to reveal the Chicken in it. They warned us that sudden movements like that could be dangerous b'cos if there was an inexperienced member amongst them that got panicky, he could shoot first.....and ask questions later.

4 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by leonshom(m): 5:18am On Jan 21, 2013
I dislike Nigeria Police, they are Barbaric in Nature !
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 6:12am On Jan 21, 2013
Some Nigerians can be rude and arrogant to Police Men. Bare in mnd that officer has been standing for hours and you come cruising down in your Air conditioned car, to him he is there for your protection, to you he is an irritant and so some just arrogantly respond na there trouble start.

Step 1: Put on your Inner Light.

Step 2: Stay in The Car, Doors Shut

Step 3: Wind down the windows when he comes around

Step 4: be the first to say "Good evening Sir" we know you are the one in the big car with AC and he is tartared and worn out but as my Father will say, any man with a gun is Sir, and any officer of the law is Sir

Step 5: give them documents they ask for always be polite, explain the ones you don't have also politely

Step 6: When they wave you pass, say, Thank You Sir for the good work you do, never hurts to appreciate anyone.

Donts:
1. Do not leave the lights off and music blasting
2. Do not come down and start shouting "Do you know who I am"
3. Do not say "how now" and talk to them as if they are illiterates and attempt some lame joke, he has been standing for hours and is irritable, so he may take you jokes as rudeness
4. Do not leave music blasting loudly while he is talking to you, its disrespectful and turning down for a few minutes is all it takes
5. Do not rudely tell him that you don't have documents and again avoid "do you know who I am"
6. Do not start insulting the Nigerian Police force and How rotten they are
7. Do not leave your boot unattended after your display of arrogance if you meet an equally vindictive officer be sure a gun, weed or something will be "found" in your boot.

Being polite never killed anyone, doesn't take much from you.
Imagine how you felt attending to that rude customer, yes that's how they feel dealing with you multiply by their poor working conditions.

6 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by whiteeyes: 6:16am On Jan 21, 2013
henchamb: if they stop you just show they the pictures of the police college ikeja and tell them you work for channels tv and they wil ;Dl free you.
Na their way be dat!
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by MyX1: 6:21am On Jan 21, 2013
olas2u: Be humble when dealing with police officers in Nigeria and dont act arrogant and be cheerful dont speak too much of english when you know they are low ranking. .Use pigin when dealing when the low level officers.if you act in other manners you may die early.They are not trained well so if you drive off ,dont except them to aim correctly.
Dat is very very insultive, hw can u say dat? NP r very hot tempard oh if they come 4 u my hand no dey ooo. I don tel u ma own.
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by chinnyonwu(m): 6:28am On Jan 21, 2013
Do--- Do give them money
Donts-- Don't hesitate to give them money.

1 Like

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Napolitano(m): 6:31am On Jan 21, 2013
A pity one has to take extreme caution while dealing with those with the role of "to serve and protect with integrity".

Sometimes while walking on the road around places like Yaba, I get more really anxious of meeting a stop and search police officer. Those guys will ask you ridiculous questions and make demands just to rob you of your cash.
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by MyX1: 6:35am On Jan 21, 2013
was it at gun point? Hw can u jst give them 15k when u'v done noting, are u father Chrismas?
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by JimmyBoy1: 6:39am On Jan 21, 2013
Generally, just try to treat them like human and that you respect them, the worst that will happen if you do so is that they ask for "something for the boyz", but you will never be molested.

I usually follow the prrocedure below.
1. Roll down the glass or put on the inner light, before being asked to do so.
2. Greet with respect(Good evening sir, ), with a face that does not show fear or contempt.(They just scan you and the vehicle, and most times they wave you on).
3.If they ask you to "park well", comply and keep making them fill important even if your docs are in order (because there may be some errors in your docs that you were not aware off).
4. If no fault is found, they asked you to go or they simply go begging. If you can afford somerin, N100 or N200 should be OK, if not say "next time Oga mi".
5. If the checking point is on your normal route, then I recommend you drop somerin ,N200, subsequent encounters will just be chit chat, though you may be reactivating the rapport occasionaly with N100 or200,

DONTs
Never raise your voice
Never claim to know.

1 Like

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by MyX1: 6:43am On Jan 21, 2013
tee_la_cruz: The best thing is to act like a fool and let him be the boss even when you know you've got more sense n qualification than him. They are just bunch of frustrated maggots.
How i wish u can look a Police man in d face and tel him that. But my advice is make sure ur wife or girl frnd is not there d day u will do that, bc if she see wat wil hapen 2 u eh, there will b no show 4 u that day, bet me.
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by yuzedo: 6:44am On Jan 21, 2013
chinnyonwu: Do--- Do give them money
Donts-- Don't hesitate to give them money.

grin
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by metti(m): 7:27am On Jan 21, 2013
shocked shocked shocked :e author=Legalplayerz]I visited Nigeria few months ago for a week, and I was stopped by police twice. I was able to deal with them easily because I acted Nigerian and tried to avoid too much English language. Just stop when they ask you to, and be polite to them. This two stop and search cost me N15k, for doing nothing.[/quote]
You were able to deal with them yet you paid 15k for doing nothing. Did I get you right?
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Symphony007: 7:38am On Jan 21, 2013
As stupid as the guy's question was, the police has no right to lay a finger on him. And i notice that when police see a "nigerian bar association" sticker on a car they tend to know their place and mellow.cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Family Of 4 Burnt To Death After Father’s Cigarette Touched Stored Fuel / Woman Told To Shorten Name That's Too Long For Driving Licence / Send Your Christmas Shout Out To Your Love ones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.