Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,653 members, 7,801,903 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets (11588 Views)

FG Suspends Deduction Of States’ Loans / List Of Private Jet Owners In Nigeria (pictures) / FG Suspends Permanent Secretary Ministry Of Foreign Affairs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by youngies(m): 6:10am On Jan 21, 2013
Nigerian billionaires planning to buy private jets have been stopped from doing so as the Federal Government has suspended the importation of private airplanes, helicopters and other lighter aircraft into the country.

Sources in the Ministry of Aviation said the suspension, which took effect a few months ago, would continue until the formulation of a new policy on importation of private jets and helicopters.

The sources revealed that the new policy, currently being drafted by the ministry, would take into cognisance several issues regarding the importation of private jets into the country.

Top government officials, however, said the Aviation ministry had yet to determine when work on the policy would be completed and, as such, there was no definite date for the removal of the suspension.

The Special Assistant (Media) to the Minister of Aviation, Mr. Joe Obi, confirmed the development.

Obi, however, stressed that the suspension did not affect the importation of commercial and passenger jets being used by domestic airlines.

He said, “The domestic airlines are free to bring in their normal passenger planes. But the suspension only affects private jets. The government is trying to work on a new policy for the private jet.

“You will agree with me that the current policy on private jets is old, and there is a need to renew it. Pending that renewal, all applications for importation for now will have to hold on.”

Asked if there was a timeframe for the lifting of the suspension, Obi said, “There is no definite time for now. It depends on when the new policy is completed. Government is working on the policy. When it is completed, every body will be informed.”

It is unclear the new areas in the private jet business that the proposed policy will tackle as Obi declined further comments.

However, it was learnt that several applications for the importation of private jets, helicopters and other lighter aircraft had been piling up at the Aviation ministry for over four months now.

Investigation by our correspondent revealed that the development was already affecting not only some wealthy Nigerians, who had ordered for private jets, but also their appointed agents helping them to handle the purchase from foreign manufacturers.

“We have submitted applications to bring in some jets on behalf of some people for over four months now, but no approval yet. It is strange. Some of the aircraft are awaiting approval so that we can bring them in from the United States, France and South Africa,” an aviation expert and agent, who usually assists some wealthy Nigerians to acquire private jets, told our correspondent under condition of anonymity.

More: http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/3679-fg-suspends-importation-of-private-jets
Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by fkaz(m): 6:38am On Jan 21, 2013

This is witch-hunting when i just dey plan, how to bring my own enta.
Moreover, my pastor neva bring his own too.
devil is a liar

5 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Burger01(m): 6:59am On Jan 21, 2013
Damn!!! Some pastors would be disappointed... what would happen to the plane Pst Okojie and Pst Kriss Oyak ordered for....

4 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by IleIfe2(m): 7:39am On Jan 21, 2013
Cronyism, Maoism, 'Exploiting class' exploiting each other. 'Bad belleism'

Are they going to ban importation of luxury cars next?

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Nobody: 7:51am On Jan 21, 2013
While they're at it, they should slam a 25% tax on all private jets ordered. A good way to raise money.

11 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by lagcity(m): 7:57am On Jan 21, 2013
what the fvck is wrong with the Feds? angry it is not enough that the feds are stealing all the money, now they are regulating how citizens spend theirs. meanwhile Jona needs new aircraft.

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Nobody: 9:52am On Jan 21, 2013
Why buy a private jet when you can get high and fly.

6 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by naja2: 9:54am On Jan 21, 2013
So how do i spend my stolen money?

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by zibe(m): 9:55am On Jan 21, 2013
The pastors are only doing what the politicians have been doing, or is it cos the pastors are now outdoing them? It was a competition, and obviously the pastors were winning. grin grin

3 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by OmerianConsult: 9:56am On Jan 21, 2013
lynpetra: Well,but witchcraft flying isn't banned.Hope still dey
Hope go ever dey 4 accomplished flyers like u.
Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by ifihearam: 9:56am On Jan 21, 2013
Thank God say my own done land before this suspension.

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 21, 2013
Just get a private train and avoid accident and untimely death.99% accident free

2 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Youngzedd(m): 9:57am On Jan 21, 2013
Too late.

Medicine after death.
Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 21, 2013
Well,but witchcraft flying isn't banned.Hope still dey
Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 21, 2013
Something they shoulda done before now, after all our pastors have used the sweat of my fellow Nigerian citizens to acquire fleets of air planes. Well I wouldn't blame them, I'd blame my hungry naija people for buying planes for them, then drink garry morning, noon and evening. How fulfilled are pastors for their followers dont think.
Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by safarigirl(f): 9:58am On Jan 21, 2013
Okay, so they and their cohorts have gotten their own jets, na to make sure dem no get rivals, mtcheew, yeye
Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Techwriter: 9:59am On Jan 21, 2013
I just hope the policy will be to the best advantage of Nigerians not to fulfil your selfish ego

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Nobody: 9:59am On Jan 21, 2013
HNosegbe: While they're at it, they should slam a 25% tax on all private jets ordered. A good way to raise money.

Gbam! Make it 50% duty. Customs to the same...import a 5 million naira new car like 2012 Honda Accord or 2012 Toyota Camry, Customs will slap a 50% duty...2.5 million naira. This is no joke...import and see. What Federal government do with the duties from Customs, I don't know.

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Nobody: 10:03am On Jan 21, 2013
Chai, now my own was just paid for.

***Wears helmet***
Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Dee60: 10:03am On Jan 21, 2013
The President should lead by example. The 10 or so luxury jets in the presidential fleet should be turned over to a national carrier and the president should fly first class and business class like the British Prime Minister will do. As a nation, we are as poor as bangladesh but our leaders want to live like American presidents. It wont work!

8 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by AVWENAGHA: 10:05am On Jan 21, 2013
Please wait for a few minutes before submitting this post. Our server is overwhelmed.

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by achi4u(m): 10:08am On Jan 21, 2013
lynpetra: Well,but witchcraft flying isn't banned.Hope still dey
that one dey use fuel?

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by thisisme2013: 10:08am On Jan 21, 2013
WARNING!!!!Low on aviation gas in tank Three Refill required ugrenly.

shocked that is what has being blinking on my dash right now, I was about landing when the ban was slammed since then I have being hovering round naija air space and now I need to land looking for for the coordinates to the mansion abi na where him dey stay sef make I DANA the jet for nim roof make he know how far MUM MU IDIot like am. sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by kelsonpoint(m): 10:08am On Jan 21, 2013
I have start preparing to buy my parachute cos very soon there will b holdups on the sky so i need to extend my business(gala and lacasera)

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Sholexmusics: 10:08am On Jan 21, 2013
FG,no tym 2 check tym ooo, abeg remov ds suspension asap.... My private jet is comin oooo..
Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Sweetapple007(f): 10:09am On Jan 21, 2013
This is really fustrating f those who hav already ordered f thier's i understand!
Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by akintun: 10:11am On Jan 21, 2013
Gbam! Make it 50% duty. Customs to the same...import a 5 million naira new car like 2012 Honda Accord or 2012 Toyota Camry, Customs will slap a 50% duty...2.5 million naira. This is no joke...import and see. What Federal government do with the duties from Customs, I don't know.

A yearly 20% benefit tax would be very good.

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by femmy2010(m): 10:14am On Jan 21, 2013
HNosegbe: While they're at it, they should slam a 25% tax on all private jets ordered. A good way to raise money.

That or even more would make much sense cos some small cars everyday peeps drive in attract up to 35% tax/duty.
Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by BlackBaron: 10:15am On Jan 21, 2013
Most Nigerian private jets are simply registered in other countries. Cayman Islands, Isle of Man, Seychelles et all anyway.

Others simply register them in phantom company names.
Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Okijajuju1(m): 10:26am On Jan 21, 2013
No be God....

4 Likes

Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by ujukala: 10:27am On Jan 21, 2013
Well done for the obvious reasons.
Re: FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets by Okijajuju1(m): 10:28am On Jan 21, 2013
fkaz:
This is witch-hunting when i just dey plan, how to bring my own enta.
Moreover, my pastor neva bring his own too.
devil is a liar

Send me an email...

My company can bring it in through Seme Border.. We can also help you put plate number as well..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Benue Killings: ACF Sets Up Committee On Anti-grazing Law / Government May Swap Abducted Kagara Schoolchildren For Arrested Bandits / Barr Shola Gabriel Contesting For APC National Organising Secretary (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.