Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,855 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution (31756 Views)

Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos / "Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Congregation Chases Pastor From Church For Impregnating Member (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by maclatunji: 12:07pm On Jan 22, 2013
79-Year-Old Woman Drags Redeemed Church To Court Over Noise Pollution

An Ikeja High Court, Lagos, has urged the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Chapel of Victory, Ikeja, Lagos, to maintain “zero noise pollution” while conducting its religious programmes.

A 79-year-old neighbour, Mrs. Esther Ogunsalu, whose residence shares a common fence with the church located on 4, Sogunle Street, Abule Onigbagbo Estate, off Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Ikeja, Lagos, had dragged the church before the court for disturbing her peace.

Ogunsalu, in the case with suit no LD/1336/2011 filed before Justice Aishat Opesanwo, said the noise emanating from the church prevents her from sleeping, adding that it also “triggers her hypertensive heart disease.”

She asked the court to declare that the continuous occupation and use of the premises as a place of worship “contravenes the building and town planning regulations of Lagos State.”

However, Opesanwo referred both parties to the Multi-Door Courthouse, Igbosere, Lagos, for mediation.

At the Multi-Door Courthouse, the parties adopted a term of settlement dated November 7, 2012 which was signed by the church’s pastor, Dapo Morawo, and Ogunsalu alongside her lawyer, Mr. Dan Kizito, in the presence of a mediator, identified as Mr. Dosunmu.

The terms of settlement obtained by our correspondent on Monday stated, “That in the interest of peace and justice, parties have agreed to make peace and that the first respondent (owner and trustees of the RCCG) and the second respondent (Morawo) will maintain a zero noise pollution in accordance with Lagos State regulations and laws.”

At the resumed hearing of the case, Justice Opesanwo said since the parties had agreed to an amicable resolution of the dispute, the court would adopt the terms of settlement as its judgment.

“The said terms of settlement have been duly examined. I hereby adopt and pronounce it as the judgment of this court. Parties are urged to bear their respective obligations under the settlement terms,” Opesanwo said.

http://www.informationng.com/2013/01/79-year-old-woman-drags-redeemed-church-to-court-over-noise-pollution.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

11 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by maclatunji: 12:07pm On Jan 22, 2013
Interesting stuff...
Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:29pm On Jan 22, 2013
If true, the church should reduce their noise.

1 Like

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Bella3(f): 12:33pm On Jan 22, 2013
Very interesting... Places of worship should learn to respect other peoples ears...
Speaking of which.. I should probably drag the mosque near my house to court bt for my safety.

40 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 22, 2013
they should BAN all of them from making noise and constituting themselves into a nuisance.

If they refuse to comply , a very hefty fee should be charged, at least the tithes will be put to good use use grin

5 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by chakula: 12:56pm On Jan 22, 2013
Bélla3: Very interesting... Places of worship should learn to respect other peoples ears...
Speaking of which.. I should probably drag the mosque near my house to court bt for my safety.

If you did not come in defence of your religion who else will represent you.

The case is very simple if the man was there before the church then he has the right to fight for his right and if it was happened that the church was there before him then he can relocate to the silence area simple.

4 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by justaqad(m): 12:59pm On Jan 22, 2013
wonder why protestant churches prefers noise... stayed with my aunt who is married to a Sexton (Anglican) when i am in the room (same compound)i hardly hear any sound.though they have some sophisticated sound system.the whole noise is limited to the congregation.

2 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by justaqad(m): 1:00pm On Jan 22, 2013
Bélla3: Very interesting... Places of worship should learn to respect other peoples ears...

if you reside in south western Nigeria,then fear not... drag them to court if they disturb ya peace..shikena

2 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Chanchit: 1:02pm On Jan 22, 2013

U knw wetin them dey call tabatiada or hontu, if them unleash am for u, the noise go sweet for ur ear.

6 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Bella3(f): 1:06pm On Jan 22, 2013
chakula:

If you did not come in defence of your religion who else will represent you.

The case is very simple if the man was there before the church then he has the right to fight for his right and if it was happened that the church was there before him then he can relocate to the silence area simple.
i quite disagree! Too much Noise eventualy leads to deafness. Asides the health implications, i'm sure the court of law knws that citizen deserve some measure of 'freedom to hear what they chose' lol.

4 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Bella3(f): 1:13pm On Jan 22, 2013
justaqad:

if you reside in south western Nigeria,then fear not... drag them to court if they disturb ya peace..shikena
lol.. Bt seriously places of worship should respect the 'ears of individuals'.
Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by mumumugu(m): 1:44pm On Jan 22, 2013
Even at old age,she stil xcercise her right.kudos

4 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jan 22, 2013
lolz na winch she be

2 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by ignis: 1:46pm On Jan 22, 2013
Am sure she is just seeking for cheap popularity.
Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Bawss1(m): 1:46pm On Jan 22, 2013
The admonition by the Lord Christ for prayer to be done quietly has no place in today's Christianity. Its all about making a joyful noise and shouting down the devil with the microphone at the max.

5 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by bigx(m): 1:48pm On Jan 22, 2013
A lot of these churches are inconsiderate. Their halls can be soundproofed (yes they can afford it). But no, they'd rather set up in residential areas along with an outside facing speaker

4 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by drnoel: 1:49pm On Jan 22, 2013
this will soon become a common Nigerian business. Anyway, maybe it will help reduce the number of mushroom churches that are springing up in Nigeria
Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Born2beRich1(m): 1:51pm On Jan 22, 2013
No be sogunle she dey stay....sogunle is generally a noisy area na
Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by redcliff: 1:51pm On Jan 22, 2013
[size=14pt]I am telling you. They need to reduce their noise. I wonder if they feel making so much noise would drag more mebers into the church. There is this Redeemerd in my terrain, If you dont enter into the church you wont know there is a service being conducted. They are so quiet. They closed their windows and doors and they use their climate control to balance the inner temperature and thats the way it should be everywhere. Cornerstone Revival Assembly Aguda, Take note!!![/size]

3 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by crazygod(m): 1:52pm On Jan 22, 2013
If church neighbours are complaining about noise emanating from the church, I wonder what the congregations go through..... When bible say we should make a joyful noise this aint what the bible meant.

5 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jan 22, 2013
Too many churches and mosques in Nigeria.nice one from g-mum

1 Like

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Creatrixity(m): 1:54pm On Jan 22, 2013
I wish more of these could happen..in my vicinity,we have 4 churches and 2 mosques..on sunday its a noise fiesta and every 5am in the morning are those annoying calls to prayer that muslims do..smh

2 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jan 22, 2013
good, let there be peace...

1 Like

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by fastlane84: 1:57pm On Jan 22, 2013

U well? Hv u ever had. Music in d mosque?

15 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by DrummaBoy(m): 2:03pm On Jan 22, 2013
It's good that they could come to an out of court settlement. There is no reason why worship of God should constitute nuisance to others.
The law that disallow worship centres in residential areas should be adhered to.

2 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jan 22, 2013
Sue their a$$es! Too much noise makers in churches. I think it is due to more frustrations and desperation for so called God-almighty rewards.

1 Like

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by vision2050: 2:05pm On Jan 22, 2013
something is fishy here......
Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by chacha3(f): 2:05pm On Jan 22, 2013
Thumps up granny,these churches and noise is something else. Is that how to worship God? I once lived near a community of yaweh church,it was hell because of the noise,could not sleep in the night then choir practice in the evenings...we packed out of the area. It was not fuuny at all. Hisssed

1 Like

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by cyril83(m): 2:06pm On Jan 22, 2013
fastlane84:

early morning allau akbar is even the worse for those who stay around d mosque....@OP seriously o! lagos state govt needs to take drastic step on the issue of churches causing hold up, disturbing the peace of people.

13 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jan 22, 2013
Haha! I don't blame her sha...these loudspeakers they use in binding their enemies can be ear deafening.

1 Like

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Bella3(f): 2:07pm On Jan 22, 2013
fastlane84:

yes, actualy nt music. Sound in irregular frequency(noise) mostly in a strange language i dnt understand... Esp. During ramadan from 12-4am i no fit sleep.
All i hear is:
call:la ila ila ala ila la la
response: la ila la ila la
for good four hours!
Then every 4:30am(when the sleep is sweetest) i hear chants of prayer that disturbs the still of the early mornings.

32 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by moneyhungry(m): 2:09pm On Jan 22, 2013
dat branch of redeem don turn to ECKANKAR be dat o.
#zero-noise.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Secret Truth About Witchcraft That Everyone Should Know / The Act Of 'giving To God' As Explained By Pastor E. A. Adeboye / Joseph Obayemi, Pastor Adeboye's Successor's Sermon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.