Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution (31757 Views)

Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos / "Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Congregation Chases Pastor From Church For Impregnating Member (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by hugafella(m): 8:21am On Jan 23, 2013
Pukkah:

How is this 'argumentum ad hominem' related to the issue at hand? Did the church make noise or not? Simple.

I thought so too. U see, many people on here just can't reason logically. The real issue here is noise pollution. I am a Christian but I won't hesitate to sue any church/mosque/night club or any noise-generating entity around my residential area. Every civilized society is governed by laws, and those laws must be abided by. I HATE it when people use religion to insult society's collective sensibilities.

3 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by hugafella(m): 8:55am On Jan 23, 2013
thankgod460: No matter how the case may be she is fighting for her rigth but it is totally wroung to take d church of God to d court of law, I tink she suppose to call the attension of the pastor in charge of the parish.

You really appear to be simple-minded. There is something called fundamental human rights, and every Nigerian has it. If the "church of God" (run by men) decides to site itself in residential areas, then they infringe on. The laws of the land. But going further to create so much noise in the neighborhood is really going too far, and personally I don't have the nerve for that. Have you considered that there are infants that will be woken up? Elderly ones that need every little bit of sleep they can get? Even you, after a hard days job, do u like such noise? What of those who study at night?

2 Likes

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Biggyd2: 9:02am On Jan 23, 2013
I was under the impression that there was a law against noise pollution in this state. It is quite irritating that people use loudspeakers to disturb others from 4.30a.m each day unless NEPA strikes! Are these religious groups not under the constituted authority of the state? Don't they see this as sinful? Who do they try to impress when they scream into a loudspeaker in the morning with their half groggy voices! There is stress everywhere. You get home and sleep late. You try to catch some sleep and your fellow man swears you will have no peace cos they want to force what they believe down your throat. Apart from muslims and christians I wonder what it will be like if other religious and non religious groups start their early morning cry as well. Please this government has been able to implement its traffic laws against okada men. Why the lackadaisical attitude towards this one? Or does this have a political undertone? Just saying.

1 Like

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by NOLONGTIN1(m): 9:24am On Jan 23, 2013
Bélla3: yes, actualy nt music. Sound in irregular frequency(noise) mostly in a strange language i dnt understand... Esp. During ramadan from 12-4am i no fit sleep.
All i hear is:
call:la ila ila ala ila la la
response: la ila la ila la
for good four hours!
Then every 4:30am(when the sleep is sweetest) i hear chants of prayer that disturbs the still of the early mornings.

Funny but true...... churches and mosques are guilty of that. But a ban cannot be placed on churches causing noise pollution because it will apply to mosques -you know how the Muslims think(you immediately become an enemy to Allah), churches will comply/obey(peace loving) but talk abt the Muslims/mosque, that shi.t b a long story.....
Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Igwe9(m): 9:36am On Jan 23, 2013
Mosques noise na clock on it's own, it wakes you up even when you did not subscribe to cheesy
Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by ehispapa(m): 9:57am On Jan 23, 2013
Tijani Waheed:

dts gud na, infact its d way dey run churches des days iz realy funy, in ma own street we av two difrnt churchs in one building- reedem in d basement nd another chuch on top... na busisness?

What is your business with that? face your religion..mtchewww
Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by HIV1: 3:18pm On Jan 23, 2013
I know the woman she once resided outside the country. The woman is a christian hence I don't think her action is biased. Actually if I had my way I would send most churches parking especially those along Ibadan - Lagos expressway. They cause too many traffic on the road. Let the MOG go and work. cheesy
Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by PRINCE1604: 6:42pm On Jan 23, 2013
Ada Nri1: if some1 says this in your section now you'll start threatening thunder and brimestones.
@ topic, I don't blame the woman sha most churches are like that. The mosques are even worse because their first prayer call is like @ 4 :30 am with a very loud shriek.

Dats d truth, d tru fact!
Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Pukkah: 9:22pm On Jan 23, 2013
thankgod460: No matter how the case may be she is fighting for her rigth but it is totally wroung to take d church of God to d court of law, I tink she suppose to call the attension of the pastor in charge of the parish.

I guess you've spoken 'innocently' based on your limited experience and assumption that Christians are supposed to behave in a Christ-like manner. But you see, it's not so in practice. Indiscipline has reached a crescendo in Nigeria.

See the fate that befell a man that complained to a neighbouring church about noise pollution:

http://www.punchng.com/metro/church-members-man-fight-over-noise-pollution/

Pandemonium broke out in Ogunrun-Ori, Ogun State a community along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, last Thursday when the pastor of a church in the area, Emmanuel Igwe, and his members allegedly attacked a man with a machete.

It was learnt that Igwe, the presiding pastor, Freedom Power Assembly, led members of the church to batter Waheed Kamorudeen whose residence shares the same fence with the church after he went there to complain about the intensity of the noise emanating from the church.

Eyewitnesses who spoke with our correspondent said Igwe and his church members bundled the man into a waiting vehicle and took him to a secluded place where they allegedly beat him up and inflicted machete injury on his head.

A resident who identified herself simply as Christiana said Kamorudeen, a 28-year-old carpenter, was attacked by the congregation.

Christiana said, “The noise pollution from the church has since been a lingering problem in the community. But Kamorudeen is the worst hit because his residence is the closest to the church.

“That day, he actually went to the church to complain about the noise while they were holding an evening service around 8:45 pm.  When they didn’t lower the noise blaring out from the speaker, he angrily banged the church’s door.

“As a result of this, the church service was abruptly ended and Igwe together with his church members pounced on him and gave him the beating of his life. They subsequently tied his hands and legs and bundled him into Igwe’s car. They later drove down to Community Road, the next street from here.”

Christiana said when the landlords in the area learnt about the incident, they rushed to the scene but could neither find the victim nor his alleged attackers.

A wife of a landlord in the area, who identified herself as Ayo, said the pastor’s car was stained with blood when it was brought to the area on the next day.

“The noise of the church is a major headache for many of us in this community especially when they hold their praise and worship sessions during their vigils. We hardly have a wink of sleep,” she said.

It was learnt that Igwe and his church members took Kamorudeen to a police station after the incident on Thursday night but the policemen asked the pastor to get the victim treated first.

Kamorudeen’s mother, Anifat, who came down from Iwo in Osun State after she learnt of the incident said she met her son in a pitiable situation.

She said it was unjust for someone who claims to be a man of God to take laws into his hands and inflict machete wounds on a fellow citizen.

She said, “Apart from sustaining injuries on his head, arm and chest, he has started behaving abnormally. While we were returning home from the hospital, he didn’t even know the direction to his home.

“Besides, whenever we ask him questions, his answers are entirely different from what he is being asked. My son has no history of mental illness.”  

When our correspondent sought to speak with Kamorudeen, his words were incoherent.

Sikiru Azeez, a resident of the area who was also Kamorudeen’s master during his apprenticeship, said the victim’s refusal to sell his land and building apartment to Igwe might have aggravated the way and manner they brutalised him.

He said, “He had told me that the pastor had asked him to sell his plot of land to him when he just procured it at the rate of N400,000.

“When he laid the foundation, he said the pastor approached him again to sell it at the rate of N600, 000 for the church expansion project, which he declined.

Azeez, who accused the police of treating the pastor with kid gloves, urged constituted authorities to ensure that justice was done.

Another resident, identified simply as Oyeniyi, said, “On Sunday morning some landlords and landladies including me went to the Baale of the community who asked us to initiate a peace meeting with the pastor.

“Unfortunately while waiting for his arrival at his church, he brought in a team of riot policemen. The policemen then accused us of plotting to disrupt public peace and we were detained at the police cell for over 11 hours before we were released.”

But Igwe, who spoke with our correspondent on the telephone on Monday, accused Kamorudeen of invading their church with a machete and threatening to kill him and members of his church.

He said, “While a service was going on, he busted into the church while wielding a machete and disrupted the programme. He then demanded the sum of N50m or else he would kill me and my church members. In the process, he manhandled two pregnant women and pushed them to the floor.

“One had an instant miscarriage while the other one who sustained waist pains was operated upon on Saturday. There was an instant response from members and he got injured while we were trying to defend ourselves. When we overpowered him, we bundled him into the vehicle and took him to the police station.”

Igwe also denied seeking to buy the victim’s plot of land describing it as fabricated.

Congregation acted in self defence – Police

The Divisional Police Officer, Mowe Division,Owode Emordi, who spoke with our correspondent on the telephone on Wednesday said, “Our preliminary investigation revealed that Kamorudeen attacked the pastor and his church members with a cutlass before he was overpowered and got injured on his head, arm and other places in the process.

“Investigation is still ongoing but he has been unable to give us a coherent explanation as regards the incident.

“As a result of this, we are taking him to a psychiatrist to get an expert opinion about his mental stability and afterwards act appropriately on the matter.”

Emordi added that the community members were apprehended because they wanted to unleash mayhem on the church premises during the Sunday worship service, adding that those arrested had been released on compassionate ground.

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by PrinceGashon: 11:39pm On Jan 23, 2013
Bélla3: Very interesting... Places of worship should learn to respect other peoples ears...
Speaking of which.. I should probably drag the mosque near my house to court bt for my safety.
You what sugar? Please i don't what to loss you ehhen! I need you alive.
Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by naptu2: 8:46pm On Jan 24, 2013
[size=14pt]Lagos shuts churches, mosques over noise pollution[/size]

By Miriam Ndikanwu ⁠21/05/2012 16:33:00

Officials of the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency, (LASEPA) yesterday shut  three churches and two mosques within the metropolis for violating the laws of the state against noise pollution.

The affected churches are Lord's Chosen Charismatic Mission Church, Anthony Village; Christ Chosen Church, Onipanu and Evangelical Apostolic Church, while the mosques are Darusalam Mosque at Sabo, Yaba and Ayegbesin Mosque at Mafoluku, Oshodi.

Also shut was Sunplast Plastic industries in Isolo, whose generating set was allegedly emitting hazardous fumes into a nearby school, and Scott industries in Matori for engaging their workers in dehumanising working conditions that that also constitute environmental nuisance.

The LASEPA team led by Mr. Kayode Bello, a senior official of the agency, backed by the Lagos State Taskforce on Environmental and Special Offences (Enforcement) Unit, stormed the affected churches and mosques and shut them down for refusing to comply with relevant environmental laws of the state.

General Manager, LASEPA, Engr. Rasheed Shabi, said the development was as a result of a petition filed to his office by residents who had complained about the blazing noise pollution from the churches and mosques.

Shabi added that the affected places of worship failed to comply with the abatement notices thus prompting the agency to enforce relevant provisions of the laws on environmental protection, adding that government had no choice than to shut down the affected places of worship.

According to him, the affected worship centres would not be opened until they comply with the environmental laws of the state as regards noise pollution.

Last week, Shabi had said that some of the places of worship had blackmailed the state government for enforcing the law against non-compliance with the laws of the state.

He said lots of sensitization were still ongoing to let the places of worship know that they do not have to constitute nuisance to their environment and that they could use inbuilt speakers within their places of worship.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/47312-lagos-shuts-churches-mosques-over-noise-pollution.html

1 Like

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by naptu2: 8:51pm On Jan 24, 2013
jidsoon: The Lagos State Government has shut down the Lord’s Chosen Charismatic Ministry and six other churches in Lagos, Southwest Nigeria over noise pollution.

Officials of the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency, LASEPA stormed a branch of the Lord’s Chosen Church at 25 Omobola Street, Lawanson, Surulere area at the weekend and shut it down.

Other affected churches are Bible Church, FESTAC; The Chapter of Christ Church, Oregun, Ikeja; Assemblies of God Church, Ikeja; The Golden Gate Church, Ifako-Ijaiye and Seek and Save Ministry, Abule Egba.

The closure of the churches is coming after pre-sanction notices were given to the churches to abate the noise pollution emanating from their worship centres.

General Manager, LASEPA, Engr. Rasheed Shabi said the closure of the churches became imperative after several abatement notices issued to them were disregarded.

According to him, some of the churches even rebuffed meetings called by the agency on how to resolve the issue.

“The agency’s stance is clear on issue of noise pollution level permitted. This has been communicated to all worship centres in the state.

“The level of noise pollution allowed in the state is between 55 decibel during the day and 42 to 45 decibel at night,” he said.

Shabi said the state government was determined to reduce noise pollution in the state because of the anomalies and diseases related to it.

He enjoined worship centres in the state to comply with the state’s standard on noise, while suggesting the use of sound proof equipment by churches to reduce noise during their worship services.

Meanwhile, the large expanse of land in Ayobo where the temporary headquarters of Deeper Life Bible Church is situated may soon become a subject of litigation, as the Olalere Family has asked the church to vacate the land.

The over 150 acres of land covering Amule, Ayobo and Onikanga communities, currently accommodates the Deeper Life Bible Church main auditorium, the International Bible Training College and the proposed Anchor University owned by founder of the church, Pastor Williams Kumuyi.

Although Deeper Life Bible Church has been in possession of the land for over 30 years, the Olalere Family who now claim ownership of the land has declared the church as an illegal occupant and warned that the family may resort to court action to evict the church if it does not legalise its tenancy of the land.

The Olalere family in a letter to the church dated 7 February 2012 noted that by virtue of a 2010 court ruling by Justice Oyekan Abdullahi, the entire Ayobo community land belongs to them, and any occupant currently on the land must renegotiate their tenancy with the family.

When our reporter contacted the church over the development, secretary to the church, Pastor Jerry Asemota, said he was personally unaware of any letter to the church by the Olalere family.

He, however, said that only the legal department of the church could confirm receipt of such letters.

When asked about the Olalere family’s claim of ownership to the church land, he said: “I can assure you that we are not illegal occupants. We have been in possession of this land for 30 years and if the initial owners have problem among themselves, they should settle it amicably.”

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/02/21/lagos-shuts-down-lords-chosen-6-other-churches/

https://www.nairaland.com/876166/lagos-shuts-down-lord-chosen

1 Like

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by naptu2: 9:12pm On Jan 24, 2013
[size=14pt]Noise pollution: Religious leaders deny knowledge of approved decibel.[/size]

February 1, 2012 by Kunle Falayi

When the Lagos State Government started its clampdown on religious houses that placed public address systems outside their worship houses in 2007, the move was hailed by many and criticised by those who saw it as anti-religion.

Four years after the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency started issuing threats to religious organisations to put in place soundproof materials or face sanction, noise pollution is still a problem in the state, Metro has learnt.

Working under the state’s Noise Pollution Policy, LASEPA had said there was the need to ensure that places of worship do not constitute a public nuisance.

General Manager of LASEPA, Mr. Adebola Shabi, told our correspondent in a telephone interview that the policy stipulated that the noise level of religious houses should not exceed 65 decibels during the day and 45 at night.

Even though the policy focuses on religious houses, there are many other contributors to noise pollution in the state.

The noisiest part of the metropolis are motor parks where hawkers, bus conductors, and Compact Disc sellers create a lot of noises, in a bid to attract passengers and customers.

Ketu, Obalende, Oshodi, Iyana-Ipaja, Berger, Ojota, Ikeja areas of the state are some of the places where noise disturbs passers-by.

Generators, which are common to every household in Lagos, are also major noise pollutants in the state.

Findings by Metro reveal that many religious houses are not aware of the noise level stipulated by law and some of those who are aware said there was no way they could determine whether they operated within the approved decibel.

“I heard about the noise level issue in 2010, but the problem is how to determine whether we have actually violated that level or not at a particular time. If residents of areas around churches complain, then churches will know the noise they are making is too much. In our case here, we have not got any complaint. So, we can assume, we are not constituting a nuisance,” the pastor of a church, Mr. Joseph Ariyo, said.

An Imam at a mosque in Iyana Ipaja, Mr. Quadri Olagunju, said he was not aware there was a noise level stipulated for religious houses.

“I am aware the government gave an order that religious houses should remove public address systems outside their worship houses. But I am not aware there was anything like a decibel they must not go beyond. In our own case, even though we have a loudspeaker outside the mosque, we don’t make much noise,” he said.

In Ogba area of Ikeja, our correspondent noticed a church where programmes are consistently announced through loudspeakers.

The pastor of the church, who pleaded anonymity, said it was intended to “bless” other people who would not have the time to attend the church programme. He also said he was not aware there was a noise level they must not go beyond.

He said, “I think people who are engaged with one thing or another can be blessed through our teachings inside their houses.

“Nobody has actually complained that we are noisy or disturbing the peace of this area. I’m sure the residents have no problem with us.”

Asked if he was aware the state government was against placing loudspeakers outside of religious houses, the priest said he was, but that the noise emanating from the church was minimal compared with motor parks.

Our correspondent spoke to a resident of a building beside the church, Mrs. Ogechi Amadi, who said people were wary of complaining against a religious house.

“Nobody wants to incur the wrath of a church. You know how these churches can be. They could start praying against you if you complain about them. I personally don’t have a problem with the noise because I am accustomed to it,” she said.

Few metres from the church, a mosque also announced its programmes through a loudspeaker placed outside. The Imam of the mosque, who identified himself as Alhaji AbdulKareem, said the loudspeakers emit very low noise and that they only use the speakers on Friday and Sunday.

The Imam said he did not know the government had prescribed noise level, which religious houses must not go beyond.

Metro recently published a story of a septuagenarian who was lamenting the health hazard she faced as a result of noise emanating from a church close to her house.

Many residents of the state have the same problem to contend with because of the proximity of their houses to motor parks and religious houses.

At Ketu Bus Stop, our correspondent counted a number of shops, where loudspeakers are placed outside and loud music blared.

The residents around the bus stop said they were accustomed to the noise.

“This place has always been like this. The only time we get a moment of respite from the noise is when we are asleep. The nuisance starts again with the shouts of bus conductors at dawn,” Mr. Chibu Akuegbu said.

At Oshodi Bus Stop, our correspondent saw a man with a cart laden with CDs and a record player. The player was loudly playing different songs as he pushed his way through the street. This is a common sight in Lagos.

The CD seller told our correspondent that that was his own way of attracting customers.

“Passers-by also enjoy the music I play. The advantage is that anybody who ordinarily will not want to buy a CD might be attracted by the music and stop to buy. You are very funny. You think this is pollution? Not having money to feed my children when I don’t sell, that is pollution. I need to attract customers,” he said.

At Ojodu area of Lagos, it has also become common to see men pushing specially made carts with religious inscriptions, playing music and using a megaphone to preach.

A recent visitor to Lagos, who pleaded anonymity, gave her opinion of the problem of noise in Lagos.

She said, “My recent trip to Lagos confirmed a lot of what I have heard concerning the new face of Lagos as a mega city.

“However, the stark reality is that Lagos is extremely noisy. Everywhere you go it is noise. At some point I felt I was going insane. Unfortunately, I have yet to see what the state government is doing concerning this form of pollution capable of diminishing the quality of lives of citizens.

“Generators, welding machines, English Premiership league football fans cheering their clubs, vehicles and inconsiderate motorists, cart pushers and stall owners who deal in CDs, DVDs constitute a public nuisance in Lagos.”

However, Shabi said, “We’ve asked religious houses to soundproof their buildings so that even if their services will produce much noise, it will not constitute a nuisance to residents.

“We have been extremely careful because some people said the state government is against religion. What we have been doing usually is to invite religious organisations against which residents have lodged complaints and tell them to ensure they do not constitute a nuisance to their neighbours.

“We have sealed some religious houses for noise pollution offences especially when we have given them warnings and the problem still persists. For instance, we got a complaint somewhere recently and we are going to do something about it on Monday.”

When asked why CD sellers and other people who contribute to noise pollution in the state were not being checked, Shabi said, “When it is a market area, we usually overlook those places because we know the noise is a result of selling of goods. Our focus is on noise pollution in residential areas.”

A medical doctor, Moses Ajebiyi, warned that continuous exposure to noise could impair hearing.

Adebiyi said, “The effect of noise is not just about the irritation it constitutes to one’s ears. It could elevate one’s stress level to the extent that one could develop hypertension, chronic stress or sleep disorder. In the case of someone who already has hypertension, consistent exposure to noise can seriously aggravate the problem.

“It could affect one’s productivity and depending on how much noise one is exposed to, it could lift one’s hearing threshold to such an extent that one could become partially deaf. It could also lead to sleep deprivation.

http://www.punchng.com/metro/noise-pollution-religious-leaders-deny-knowledge-of-approved-decibel/

1 Like

Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Omofranca(f): 10:55am On Jan 25, 2013
Interesting to see that even fellow Christians are not condemning the old woman. The sound proofing option should be explored by churches located within residential areas. Glad the case ended on an amicable note. smiley
Re: 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution by Benybest1: 12:58am On Aug 04, 2013
Rubish, i feel like walking down there and cut off the wire that is connected to the speaker, even to throw the speaker into the bush.
No body near where mosque is able to sleep, because of what? Hipocrist, wickedness in their lives. Who could human been be shouting rubish in the midt night. It is not prayer, i mean this type of nonsense noice is incantation.
Government should do something about this, unless they are paying for the noise. Even if they pay for it. Pls government should stop taking such bill.

Another one is the blocking of the road every friday just because they want pray.
Is it right to block the road because you want to make the prayer that is not concerning those that are making use of the road?
This is happening every friday at Balogun street, Alhja mosalasi Agege near pen-cinema.
Infact, i am not happy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Joseph Obayemi, Pastor Adeboye's Successor's Sermon / The Secret Truth About Witchcraft That Everyone Should Know / The Act Of 'giving To God' As Explained By Pastor E. A. Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.