Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,504 members, 7,770,264 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:19 AM

African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. (2930 Views)

Meet The Authors Of The Nigerian Writers Series / 2015 Miles Morland Foundation Writing Scholarships For African Writers (£45,000) / Do Contemporary African Writers Actually Sell Books? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by yuzedo: 5:04pm On Jan 22, 2013
Was on another thread where they mentioned the "Ichidodo", a proverbial bird from The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born, but i mixed it up with Anthills of The Savannah.

The mix-up got me reminiscing and thinking about the glory days of yore, when the sense of reading was instilled and perhaps enforced in many households...

African Writers Series had the very finest African Writers on their list, the novels were world-class.. Authors like Chinua Achebe, Ngugi Wa Thiong'o, Ayi Kwei Armah, Cyprian Ekwensi, Peter Abrahams, T. M. Aluko, Flora Nwapa, Elechi Amadi, and a thousand other geniuses churned out classics that stimulated our minds and kept our idleness-induced mischief at bay.

Who can forget such great efforts as: Mine Boy, Efuru, Jagua Nana, Things Fall Apart, No Longer at Ease, Arrow of God, My Mercedes is Bigger than Yours, etc?

I don't get it.... DON'T WE READ ANYMORE IN THIS COUNTRY??!??

1 Like

Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by yuzedo: 5:14pm On Jan 22, 2013
Enid Blyton ruled our childhoods.... That woman enchanted us with her exciting and amazing stories of adventures, sharpening our wit, exposure and imagination.

The foods and snacks that were a standard inclusion in every work of hers gave me nightmares.. grin They sounded so tasty and wonderful, marzipans, blueberry waffles, lemonade, cotton candy, sweets and toffees, honey-coated shortbread and cookies, etc.. (while i had to make do with stuff like strong yam & oil, cold eba & day-old soup, kuli-kuli, etc grin)

Enid Blyton's novels were a great part of growing up, indirectly taught me a lot of written English (just like AWS), and was a source of educative, enlightening, stimulating fun on words.....

I don't see kids reading these days. undecided But they know Kim Kardashian and all other trollops on E!... and they will grow up to use short-hand and text-speak in the office when writing out Investment Teasers and important Memos... angry

There is soooo much available to kids these days.. Google, PDF's, E-books for PCs and Tablets, etc. But i'll be damned if they use these things for anything productive.

Am i the only one who has this observation/worry or who recollects how good things were for us growing up? Sigh...

3 Likes

Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by naptu2: 5:29pm On Jan 22, 2013
Famous Five (books & tv series), Secret Seven, Five Find-Outers, Mallory Towers and these delightful tiny little books that we used as literature text books.

As I type this I'm looking at my collection of AWS (and associated)books: Chief The Honourable Minister, The Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born, The African Child, A Walk In The Night, The Drummer Boy, The Motherless Child,

Yay! I've found my Nigeria Handbook 1970! I've been searching for it forever!

2 Likes

Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by Intrepid1(m): 6:01pm On Jan 22, 2013
Enid Blyton was a major influence on the kids of the 80s and 90s. Her books were almost a form of currency. Her vivid writing style ensured you read her books hungrily, especially her description of foods and stuff. These brats of today have no idea of what they are missing...
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by Akanniade(m): 11:08pm On Jan 22, 2013
the small square shaped enid blyton books were my favourite. I always borrowed from my ajebo classmates. I got fascinated to african novels with the pace setters series; christmas in the city, the deliquents, bloodbath at lobster close, the worshippers, sisi, vicious circle etc.
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by Ndipe(m): 4:21am On Jan 23, 2013
Enid Blyton's novels were part of our upbringing in the literary world and fantasy of a child's imagination. But truth be told, as an adult, I prefer African Writer's series now.
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by UjSizzle(f): 1:50pm On Jan 23, 2013
My school had a library filled with both, but Enid was an all time favourite smiley.
Read a couple of African writers too though could hardly pronounce half the names there.
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by Ishilove: 7:36pm On Jan 23, 2013
yuzedo: Was on another thread where they mentioned the "Ichidodo", a proverbial bird from The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born, but i mixed it up with Anthills of The Savannah.

The mix-up got me reminiscing and thinking about the glory days of yore, when the sense of reading was instilled and perhaps enforced in many households...

African Writers Series had the very finest African Writers on their list, the novels were world-class.. Authors like Chinua Achebe, Ngugi Wa Thiong'o, Ayi Kwei Armah, Cyprian Ekwensi, Peter Abrahams, T. M. Aluko, Flora Nwapa, Elechi Amadi, and a thousand other geniuses churned out classics that stimulated our minds and kept our idleness-induced mischief at bay.

Who can forget such great efforts as: Mine Boy, Efuru, Jagua Nana, Things Fall Apart, No Longer at Ease, Arrow of God, My Mercedes is Bigger than Yours, etc?

I don't get it.... DON'T WE READ ANYMORE IN THIS COUNTRY??!??
No we don't sad
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by Ishilove: 7:57pm On Jan 23, 2013
Intrepid!:
Enid Blyton was a major influence on the kids of the 80s and 90s. Her books were almost a form of currency. Her vivid writing style ensured you read her books hungrily, especially her description of foods and stuff. These brats of today have no idea of what they are missing...
Indeed they don't.
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by CocoLoca(f): 9:49am On Feb 05, 2013
yuzedo: Enid Blyton ruled our childhoods.... That woman enchanted us with her exciting and amazing stories of adventures, sharpening our wit, exposure and imagination.

The foods and snacks that were a standard inclusion in every work of hers gave me nightmares.. grin They sounded so tasty and wonderful, marzipans, blueberry waffles, lemonade, cotton candy, sweets and toffees, honey-coated shortbread and cookies, etc.. (while i had to make do with stuff like strong yam & oil, cold eba & day-old soup, kuli-kuli, etc grin)
Hahahahahaha. Funny you. cheesy
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by tzetzefly(m): 12:38am On Feb 06, 2013
Akanniade: the small square shaped enid blyton books were my favourite. I always borrowed from my ajebo classmates. I got fascinated to african novels with the pace setters series; christmas in the city, the deliquents, bloodbath at lobster close, the worshippers, sisi, vicious circle etc.
I was about mentioning this too.... They were the African series of the 70's that got me glued to my seat most days. We had lots of the collection back then in the 80's. I wonder if i can still find any of them at home again....?
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by yuzedo: 12:07pm On Feb 08, 2013
We still can't arrive at a consensus the way i see it...

Which had a more profound effect on your grammatical or imaginative development people? MOD any help queuing this here thread?
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by yuzedo: 12:13pm On Feb 08, 2013
The Timeless Enid Blyton?

Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by yuzedo: 12:15pm On Feb 08, 2013
Or The Great African Writers Series

Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by Nobody: 7:50pm On Mar 03, 2013
I have a confession to make, God forgive me: when I was in primary 2, I "pinched" all the Enid Blyton books in our library. I totally had the intention of returning them, but when I was through with one, I had to read it over and over again because it was too damn enchanting. God forgive me.

3 Likes

Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by Nobody: 7:52pm On Mar 03, 2013
African Writers what? What the hell is that? Some kind of Brain disorder?

1 Like

Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by Sleemg(m): 7:50am On Mar 04, 2013
naptu2: Famous Five (books & tv series), Secret Seven, Five Find-Outers, Mallory Towers and these delightful tiny little books that we used as literature text books.

As I type this I'm looking at my collection of AWS (and associated)books: Chief The Honourable Minister, The Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born, The African Child, A Walk In The Night, The Drummer Boy, The Motherless Child,

Yay! I've found my Nigeria Handbook 1970! I've been searching for it forever!
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by adonisgold: 7:37pm On May 31, 2013
There is really no basis for comparism, African writers series was advanced reading, ever tried reading petals of blood by Ngugi wathiongo? Enid Blyton was when we were much younger, Goblins, fairies and Gnomes. Her vivid imagination appealed to kids.
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by yuzedo: 9:52pm On May 31, 2013
adonisgold: There is really no basis for comparism, African writers series was advanced reading, ever tried reading petals of blood by Ngugi wathiongo? Enid Blyton was when we were much younger, Goblins, fairies and Gnomes. Her vivid imagination appealed to kids.
I understand you sir, but my question is, which do you think had more effect on cerebral development?

Both played different roles at different times; Enid Blytons improved our grammar and imagination, AWS was a sure factor in advancing our intellect and English comprehension.

But without which would we who experienced both rich worlds have been a little poorer in mind?
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by sleekcm(m): 2:42pm On Jun 13, 2013
The AWS had a profound impact on me. I probably learnt a thousand words from there in JSS and SS classes. They were pure classics. Heinemann really did something legendary there.
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by adexsimply(m): 9:05am On Jun 15, 2013
SimonAndal: I have a confession to make, God forgive me: when I was in primary 2, I "pinched" all the Enid Blyton books in our library. I totally had the intention of returning them, but when I was through with one, I had to read it over and over again because it was too damn enchanting. God forgive me.
Thief Thief cheesy cheesy..Don't dare accuse any politician with corruption again grin grin

2 Likes

Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by adexsimply(m): 9:20am On Jun 15, 2013
yuzedo: Or The Great African Writers Series[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/980940_indexAWS_jpg174dc6be743c87975e15636bc8805419[/img]
as much as I love Enid Blyton's books, I still can't ignore those African Writers Series..books like; The Mine Boy, The burning grass, The Concubine.etcetera
smiley smiley smiley
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by optimusprime2(m): 7:43pm On Jun 18, 2013
Enid Blyton made my childhood days so magical...
Even till today, I have this craving for adventure and Mystery solving, thanks to Enid Blyton's books esp The Famous Five.
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by Akanniade(m): 11:55am On Jul 18, 2013
SimonAndal: I have a confession to make, God forgive me: when I was in primary 2, I "pinched" all the Enid Blyton books in our library. I totally had the intention of returning them, but when I was through with one, I had to read it over and over again because it was too damn enchanting. God forgive me.
You can yet make amends. Visit CSS bookshop and buy as many children's book as you can and donate to your school.

3 Likes

Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by Akanniade(m): 12:11pm On Jul 18, 2013
adonisgold: There is really no basis for comparism, African writers series was advanced reading, ever tried reading petals of blood by Ngugi wathiongo? Enid Blyton was when we were much younger, Goblins, fairies and Gnomes. Her vivid imagination appealed to kids.
I disagree with you.some African writers wrote for young minds: adventures of Souza, juju rock, chike and the river, ifeanyi and obi etc.

1 Like

Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by Iaz93: 11:13pm On Oct 31, 2013
OP asked a simple question. Y'all are deviating oh!! sad angry
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by Nobody: 1:00am On Nov 01, 2013
Interesting, having grown up in the UK I've never heard of AWS, I shall look it up smiley.

However, I've also never read an Enid Blyton novel either undecided. My school shunned the classics and plugged our reading lists with forgettable exclusives by local writers. Boo. I'm intrigued enough to look into the EB hype now.
Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by ofilispeaks(m): 6:00am On Nov 03, 2013
Just wanted to let you know that okadabooks has an agreement with Pearon UK to distribute African Writer Series books to Nigerian's on Mobile phones.

The books will be made available on Andriod phones should be officially out end of November. Check it out here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.okadabooks

1 Like

Re: African Writers Series VS. Enid Blytons'.. by Nomski0(f): 7:58pm On Dec 23, 2013
I love me some Enid Blyton! grin. She made my childhood and primary school days so magical. Along with R.L Stine and his Goosebumps series.

Her stories were always short, uncomplicated and easy to read.

I didn't read alot of African writers work cause my parents didn't buy for me. Maybe that's why I hardly read African novels.

As per cerebral development. I'll say Blyton's book has the upper hand. There're illustrations in the books and they have a way of making you imagine the characters and fairies or pixies.
They simply broaden your imagination. And I think that's a good thing.....especially with young kids.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Silent Tears / Never Say Goodbye. / A Thief In The Church - Part 1 18+ Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.