Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,469 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:26 PM

What Makes You A Man Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Makes You A Man Of God? (914 Views)

Songs That Makes You Feel God's Presence? / What Gospel Songs Makes You Cry? / Dr. Sign Fireman: Man Of God Or Man Of Money? (Video Documentary) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes You A Man Of God? by maclatunji: 8:42am On Jan 23, 2013
I hear and read Christians use this term, 'Man of God', and I wonder are there any traits that makes an individual a 'Man of God'? By declaring an individual as a MOG, are you implying that he is holier than the 'average Christian'?

Are there any perks or responsibilities attached to the position?

Who confers the title?

Finally, what happens when a Man of God does something wrong?
Re: What Makes You A Man Of God? by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 23, 2013
what makes you an Imam?, abi na iman
Re: What Makes You A Man Of God? by Nobody: 10:28am On Jan 23, 2013
Good morning Mr. Tunji,

Though I am not used to the "Man of God" title people ascribe to some individuals but I believe that if that's the best way they can describe their relationship with these persons then there is nothing wrong with it.

I have tried to answer some of the questions you asked but please be adviced that the following are my own view on the matter and they do not constitute or imply the 'popular opinion'.

maclatunji: I hear and read Christians use this term, 'Man of God', and I wonder are there any traits that makes an individual a 'Man of God'?

Yes you are right that some Christians use this term, though not everyone of them. If by 'trait' you mean a 'distinguishing characteristic' then I will say this is subject to individual views and opinions.

However a common denominator might be that the individual with such title is expected at the minimum to have a "Calling" from God to serve the community of believers as a minister of the word. However the authenticity of ones "calling is another matter.

maclatunji:
By declaring an individual as a MOG, are you implying that he is holier than the 'average Christian'?

Every perceived "Man of God" is expected to demonstrate some level of spiritual depth. The individual is more often than not percieved to be 'closer to God'. Given that he is supposed to be a spiritual guide and a role-model, it is safer to say that he is expected to be "holier" than the "average christian".

maclatunji:
Are there any perks or responsibilities attached to the position?

Yes there are! Being a spiritual guide and a role model comes with their unique responsibilities. They have a responsibility to guide their flock in maatters of spirituality, they are expected to strive to be "saintly" and as role models they are expected to lead by their good examples etc.

maclatunji:
Who confers the title?

This is one area of dispute. It is expected that God is the one who calls and as such he is the one who confers the title. But most often than not, we see a situation where an individual 'claim' to have been called. There is really no sure way of corroborating some of their stories, except one has the gift of discernment.

maclatunji:
Finally, what happens when a Man of God does something wrong?

If a "Man of God" does something wrong, we are meant to condemn the act and pray for him. In a nut-shell, Love the sinner but Hate the sin.

PS: I believe personally that a "Man of God" is anyone who does God's will and is part of the "elect" whether we can see this or not. The individual need not be a pastor. Though controversial, I believe firmly that "Men of God" cuts across. They can be Christians, Muslims, Atheists, Agnostics and even pagans. Anyone that will be found in Heaven on the 'last day' is a "Man of God" to me.

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: What Makes You A Man Of God? by Nobody: 11:09am On Jan 23, 2013
It'd be wise for the Xtians to behave like Christ tongue
Re: What Makes You A Man Of God? by maclatunji: 11:10am On Jan 23, 2013
striktlymi: Good morning Mr. Tunji,

Though I am not used to the "Man of God" title people ascribe to some individuals but I believe that if that's the best way they can describe their relationship with these persons then there is nothing wrong with it.

I have tried to answer some of the questions you asked but please be adviced that the following are my own view on the matter and they do not constitute or imply the 'popular opinion'.

Yes you are right that some Christians use this term, though not everyone of them. If by 'trait' you mean a 'distinguishing characteristic' then I will say this is subject to individual views and opinions.

However a common denominator might be that the individual with such title is expected at the minimum to have a "Calling" from God to serve the community of believers as a minister of the word. However the authenticity of ones "calling is another matter.

Calling is quite a vague term, really difficult to define.

striktlymi:
Every perceived "Man of God" is expected to demonstrate some level of spiritual depth. The individual is more often than not percieved to be 'closer to God'. Given that he is supposed to be a spiritual guide and a role-model, it is safer to say that he is expected to be "holier" than the "average christian".

striktlymi:
Yes there are! Being a spiritual guide and a role model comes with their unique responsibilities. They have a responsibility to guide their flock in maatters of spirituality, they are expected to strive to be "saintly" and as role models they are expected to lead by their good examples etc.

This is one area of dispute. It is expected that God is the one who calls and as such he is the one who confers the title. But most often than not, we see a situation where an individual 'claim' to have been called. There is really no sure way of corroborating some of their stories, except one has the gift of discernment.

If a "Man of God" does something wrong, we are meant to condemn the act and pray for him. In a nut-shell, Love the sinner but Hate the sin.

PS: I believe personally that a "Man of God" is anyone who does God's will and is part of the "elect" whether we can see this or not. The individual need not be a pastor. Though controversial, I believe firmly that "Men of God" cuts across. They can be Christians, Muslims, Atheists, Agnostics and even pagans. Anyone that will be found in Heaven on the 'last day' is a "Man of God" to me.

Thank you!

Your answers are insightful, my major motivation for asking these questions is that I do interact with or observe Christian clergy sometimes and there seems to be the sense of "entitlement", that once there is a religious title like Pastor, Reverend, Apostle and so on attached to their name, the other party should drop all rational thought and simply oblige them of whatever they request. Sometimes, I see other Christians do this (oblige them) and I am like- "did you drop your brain somewhere or is it magic?'.

Whoever you are, it does seem wrong to me to expect people to waive due process for you. Following the due process would be the Godly way and not vice versa.
Re: What Makes You A Man Of God? by advocate666: 11:25am On Jan 23, 2013
maclatunji:

Your answers are insightful, my major motivation for asking these questions is that I do interact with or observe Christian clergy sometimes and there seems to be the sense of "entitlement", that once there is a religious title like Pastor, Reverend, Apostle and so on attached to their name, the other party should drop all rational thought and simply oblige them of whatever they request. Sometimes, I see other Christians do this (oblige them) and I am like- "did you drop your brain somewhere or is it magic?'.

Whoever you are, it does seem wrong to me to expect people to waive due process for you. Following the due process would be the Godly way and not vice versa.

The bolded coming from a radical muslim who admitted he would murder logicboy in the name of allah made me crack up. Talk of the clouds calling the moon white.

2 Likes

Re: What Makes You A Man Of God? by Nobody: 11:27am On Jan 23, 2013
maclatunji:

I quite agree with you Mr. Tunji, "Calling" is indeed vague and that's why every Tom, D*ck and Mariah can claim to have a "calling" from God.

It is sad that so many of us Christians tend to do things without reason. Some do things simply because God's name is used. This is very wrong! I prefer putting every spirit to the test!

I do not believe in relating with people because of what they call themselves. I believe firmly that we are human beings first before any religious or no religious affiliation.

To do things for someone just because the person is a pastor, Reverend, Imam, Atheist, Agnostic, Pagan etc does not make much sense for me. Do things because it is reasonable and logical, and if one must help then help because you want to and not because someone wants you to.

I have two personal stories I would have shared to buttress the points above but for fear of making this post too long I will save them for some other time.

Thank you!
Re: What Makes You A Man Of God? by Creatrixity(m): 11:29am On Jan 23, 2013
maclatunji:

Your answers are insightful, my major motivation for asking these questions is that I do interact with or observe Christian clergy sometimes and there seems to be the sense of "entitlement", that once there is a religious title like Pastor, Reverend, Apostle and so on attached to their name,
the other party should drop all rational thought and simply oblige them of whatever they request.

Sometimes, I see other Christians do this (oblige them) and I am like- "did you drop your brain somewhere or is it magic?'.

Hmmn..at bolded,it is a religious thing,same could be said of you when its your religion..
Re: What Makes You A Man Of God? by maclatunji: 11:58am On Jan 23, 2013
Creatrixity:
Hmmn..at bolded,it is a religious thing,same could be said of you when its your religion..

At bolded, to a much lesser extent. A large number of Muslim clerics feel awkward at what we call formal settings not because they are not intelligent or educated, but not in western terms. Hence, they are unlikely to come with an arrogantly expectant disposition to you (it is simply not their turf). That is different from Pastor X going into an establishment with his minions scurrying all over the place. The dude enters the establishment and is like... 'God bless you', 'God bless you' expecting everybody to start shaking... etc.

I laugh during such situations.
Re: What Makes You A Man Of God? by Creatrixity(m): 3:05pm On Jan 23, 2013
Nice dissertation..but as i wrote previously i thought it was a religious thing but i realise that it has to do with hero and hero worship...i stay in the north and the same adulation is given to sheikh gumi(at said time of writing this ,i am 5 minutes away from his mosque)..it is very similar to the "man of God" thing ,christians do.imagine,stickers of sheikh gumi(deceased) are on almost every muslim owned bus...so i think its a hero/hero worship thing..#i could be wrong..
Re: What Makes You A Man Of God? by maclatunji: 4:22pm On Jan 23, 2013
Creatrixity: Nice dissertation..but as i wrote previously i thought it was a religious thing but i realise that it has to do with hero and hero worship...i stay in the north and the same adulation is given to sheikh gumi(at said time of writing this ,i am 5 minutes away from his mosque)..it is very similar to the "man of God" thing ,christians do.imagine,stickers of sheikh gumi(deceased) are on almost every muslim owned bus...so i think its a hero/hero worship thing..#i could be wrong..

I don't think that is Sheikh Gumi, it would be someone else I imagine. Sheikh Gumi is still alive. You are right about Hero worship but that which you refer to is a wee bit different from what I speak off. By the way, Islam forbids what you just described- ignorant people do it and claim Islam.

Paintings of the Prophet(SAW) would exist in one form or the other and be everywhere, were that allowed.
Re: What Makes You A Man Of God? by tpia5: 4:30pm On Jan 23, 2013
i think sometimes people mistake respect for hero worship.

not saying the latter doesnt exist, but i think these things should be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Re: What Makes You A Man Of God? by maclatunji: 4:55pm On Jan 23, 2013
tpia@:
i think sometimes people mistake respect for hero worship.

not saying the latter doesnt exist, but i think these things should be evaluated on a case by case basis.

Maybe you can help us by describing what you mean by "respect".
Re: What Makes You A Man Of God? by tpia5: 5:21pm On Jan 23, 2013
cultural ways of showing respect.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Right What I Do With 10% Of My Earnings? / Are You Rapturable? / Sunday Church Dressing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.