Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,756 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. (168717 Views)

The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / What Are These Words In Bini Language / Igbo/ Hausa/ Yoruba Pipz Help Me Translate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by EzePromoe: 7:54pm On Feb 04, 2013
Havilah93:

je kama dorawa..

Well, whoever was saying this to you was simply being mischievous.
It means 'let us fu*k/bleep ourselves'

...and it is in no way a form of greeting
Is that why they've been hiding it from me since My guess was as good, because many have been avoiding this post. Thanks for rescuing me from embarrassing myself.

It seems you were in that thread when I asked how do you greet in Yoruba undecided
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by StarFlux: 9:02pm On Feb 04, 2013
Josh090:
Hahahaha.....naaa
That shld be "husband of amala seller".
@starflux, you're very good, when did you start learning yoruba? How's your intonation, cos that's what matters most.
Hey, thanks. My intonation is pretty bad, except from the most basic words (though I know how to write the tones on most words from memory), but I will leave it to when I start having more chances to use the languge and be corrected then.

Don't know exactly when I started, think it was around july last year I really started learning.
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Havilah93(m): 9:43pm On Feb 04, 2013
Eze Promoe:
Is that why they've been hiding it from me since My guess was as good, because many have been avoiding this post. Thanks for rescuing me from embarrassing myself.

It seems you were in that thread when I asked how do you greet in Yoruba undecided

i only saw your signature, and decided to see if i could be of any help.
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Havilah93(m): 9:45pm On Feb 04, 2013
@ StarFlux, you're preety good for a beginner, keep it up! wink
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by EzePromoe: 10:22pm On Feb 04, 2013
Havilah93:

i only saw your signature, and decided to see if i could be of any help.
Wow! That was thoughtful of you.
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by neversaynever(m): 11:07pm On Feb 04, 2013
@ eze promoe, so you mean you actually didn't know the meaning of 'je ka ma dorawa'? Strange! Cos even a 3 year old knows it nowadays.
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by StarFlux: 11:25pm On Feb 04, 2013
Don't repeat those words :OO

Havilah93: @ StarFlux, you're preety good for a beginner, keep it up! wink
Thanks, and I will!! cheesy
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by EzePromoe: 7:56am On Feb 05, 2013
never_say_never: @ eze promoe, so you mean you actually didn't know the meaning of 'je ka ma dorawa'? Strange! Cos even a 3 year old knows it nowadays.
Not at all.
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by StarFlux: 11:21am On Feb 05, 2013
I have another question. What is the general term for someone who plays? I know there are different words for playing certain things like gba boolu and fon fere, but is there a general term for a player? I was told it was osere, but now I'm being told it's wrong.
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Nobody: 11:39am On Feb 05, 2013
StarFlux: I have another question. What is the general term for someone who plays? I know there are different words for playing certain things like gba boolu and fon fere, but is there a general term for a player? I was told it was osere, but now I'm being told it's wrong.
Well, depending on the dialect, some might say "osere", but some others too will say "alare"...personally, I think "alare" is more accurate because "osere" connotes something like someone in a drama rather than a sportsman.
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by StarFlux: 11:43am On Feb 05, 2013
Josh090:
Well, depending on the dialect, some might say "osere", but some others too will say "alare"...personally, I think "alare" is more accurate because "osere" connotes something like someone in a drama rather than a sportsman.
Ok, thanks cheesy
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Nobody: 11:48am On Feb 05, 2013
StarFlux: Ok, thanks cheesy
A kin dupe ara eni
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Nobody: 12:00pm On Feb 05, 2013
Josh090:

I think 'adije' is more appropriate. As in 'eni ti o dije' someone who competes. Alare is the same as osere i think
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Nobody: 12:16pm On Feb 05, 2013
naijababe:

I think 'adije' is more appropriate. As in 'eni ti o dije' someone who competes. Alare is the same as osere i think
Actually, I don't think a particular word can mean 'player' in all its usage in english, since yoruba is a discriptive lang. Most of the time its the situation that will determine the word to use.
Still, I think alare is the closest, e.g, alare ere ball, alare ere tennis.
Adije, to me goes beyond and most times do not have to do with sports, but like I said it all depends on the situation and whoever is saying it.
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by fredoooooo: 12:44pm On Feb 05, 2013
naijababe:

Owo epo mama ooo , iyalaje 1 grin grin

We wey fit speak only lagos yoruba nko ? We go add mide to it grin
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Nobody: 12:53pm On Feb 05, 2013
fredoooooo:

Owo epo mama ooo , iyalaje 1 grin grin

We wey fit speak only lagos yoruba nko ? We go add mide to it grin

Baba Ijebu! You don reach here?! You are still owing me a bottle of Lacasera o
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by fredoooooo: 12:58pm On Feb 05, 2013
naijababe:

Baba Ijebu! You don reach here?! You are still owing me a bottle of Lacasera o

Ye si wahala , mide ke ma ra lacasera ..
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Nobody: 1:09pm On Feb 05, 2013
^ Original badt boy grin
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by EzePromoe: 3:35pm On Feb 05, 2013
104.) I'll buy it for you

105.) You're beautiful

106.) Call me later

107.) Please give me your address

108.) On the light

109.) Off the light

110.) Are you pregnant?
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by StarFlux: 5:52pm On Feb 05, 2013
104.) Maa ra fun e.
105.) O rewa.
106.) Nigbati o wa s'ile re, pe mi. (Don't think there's a word for later, so you have to be more specific). You can also use: pe mi lehin naa (call me after that (previously mentioned))
107.) E joo, fun mi adiresi re.
Not sure what you mean, do you mean standing ON the light, or turning it on?
110. Se o ni loyun?

Hopefully no mistakes, but please correct if there are.
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Havilah93(m): 6:51pm On Feb 05, 2013
StarFlux: 104.) Maa ra fun e.
105.) O rewa.
106.) Nigbati o wa s'ile re, pe mi. (Don't think there's a word for later, so you have to be more specific). You can also use: pe mi lehin naa (call me after that (previously mentioned))
107.) E joo, fun mi adiresi re.
Not sure what you mean, do you mean standing ON the light, or turning it on?
110. Se o ni loyun?

Hopefully no mistakes, but please correct if there are.

105. correct

106. Pe mi (ti o ba ya) or t'oba ya
'later' can mean nigba ti o ba se die sii or nigba ti o ba ya.

107. jowo/joo, fun mi ni adiresi re
The 'E' you put before the 'joo' has pluralised the expression. But if you are still intent on using the 'E', 'E joo, e fun mi ni adiresi yin' would have been appropriate, the 'yin' there showing that you are talking to more than one person or an elderly person.

108. that would be 'tan ina yen/naa (he meant switching on the light)

109. would also be 'pa ina yen/naa (switch off the light)

110. 'se o loyun ni?'
Since you had used 'ni' in your expression, it nullifies using l'oyun. Because l'oyun when broken down would be 'ni oyun'

Good job all the same!

1 Like

Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by StarFlux: 6:58pm On Feb 05, 2013
Havilah93:

105. correct

106. Pe mi (ti o ba ya) or t'oba ya
'later' can mean nigba ti o ba se die sii or nigba ti o ba ya.

107. jowo/joo, fun mi ni adiresi re
The 'E' you put before the 'joo' has pluralised the expression. But if you are still intent on using the 'E', 'E joo, e fun mi ni adiresi yin' would have been appropriate, the 'yin' there showing that you are talking to more than one person or an elderly person.

108. that would be 'tan ina yen/naa (he meant switching on the light)

109. would also be 'pa ina yen/naa (switch off the light)

110. 'se o loyun ni?'
Since you had used 'ni' in your expression, it nullifies using l'oyun. Because l'oyun when broken down would be 'ni oyun'

Good job all the same!
One thing I've always wondered, why re? Like mo feran re. I never found the explanation for that. I know about e/o, but I tend to mix them anyway sad My grammar is so bad, so it doesn't help to know words.

And thanks cheesy
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Havilah93(m): 7:05pm On Feb 05, 2013
^^^

The 're' is simply showing possession or being possessive

For example:
Fun mi ni adiresi re

Give me your address

without the 're', you would merely be saying 'Fun mi ni adiresi', which only means 'give me address'

One would then wonder: "which address is being talked about?"

Hence the 're' introduced makes it clear which address is needed

Fum mi ni adresi re = Give me your address.
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by StarFlux: 7:17pm On Feb 05, 2013
I know it's possesive, but in "mo feran re", why is re here? cheesy
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Nobody: 7:19pm On Feb 05, 2013
I wanted to correct starflux b4 but havillah have said it all.
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Havilah93(m): 7:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
StarFlux: I know it's possesive, but in "mo feran re", why is re here? cheesy

Well, it would only make the sentence incomplete
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by StarFlux: 7:32pm On Feb 05, 2013
Havilah93:

Well, it would only make the sentence incomplete
What is the literal meaning of "feran", if I want to say, I like you, I will say "mo feran re", but re = possessive?
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Havilah93(m): 7:38pm On Feb 05, 2013
StarFlux: What is the literal meaning of "feran", if I want to say, I like you, I will say "mo feran re", but re = possessive?
'feran' may literarily mean to love/like something, but one cannot just say 'mo feran'. There should be an end word showing what is liked/loved

e.g:
Mo feran ewa ati dodo
Tunde feran lati maa fo aso
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Havilah93(m): 7:40pm On Feb 05, 2013
're ' is also a pronoun used to replace the name of the person/thing being liked/loved
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by StarFlux: 7:47pm On Feb 05, 2013
Oh ok, now I get it. Thanks smiley
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Havilah93(m): 7:50pm On Feb 05, 2013
StarFlux: Oh ok, now I get it. Thanks smiley

you're welcome wink

I like your signature by the way cheesy
Re: Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. by Idowuogbo(f): 7:58pm On Feb 05, 2013
Josh090:
alare ke? worris dat? no b person wey sick dey dem call dat 1? i swear player na "elere"? embarassed embarassed embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! / Most Frequently Used Insult In Nigeria / Funny But Wise African Proverbs.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.