Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,255 members, 7,807,880 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:25 PM

Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas (1252 Views)

"We'll Partner With Abia State Govt On Infrastructural Development - Gov Udom / Infrastructural Neglect In Nigerian Barracks / Infrastructural Development In Abia State (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by asha80(m): 10:48pm On Jan 23, 2013
Is there any way we can mandate our governors to focus infrastructural developments more on the rural areas than urban areas?there is always this talk about rural urban migration and i feel this would help to reduce it.

Not everyone would want to live in the state capital or the largest city in the state you know.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 23, 2013
supported!
but noisemakers will prefer to show us pictures of towns alone
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by asha80(m): 11:09pm On Jan 23, 2013
re@lchange:
supported!
but noisemakers will prefer to show us pictures of towns alone

mehn the thing is getting tiring.just drive about 5km away from state capitals and some big towns and you begin to wonder went back to 19th century.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by redsun(m): 2:46am On Jan 24, 2013
The main thong they need in rural areas is electricity. A country that is not in control of its electricity supply in the 21sts century is a failed country,it doesn't matter whether it is the city or village.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by asha80(m): 7:36pm On Jan 24, 2013
redsun: The main thong they need in rural areas is electricity. A country that is not in control of its electricity supply in the 21sts century is a failed country,it doesn't matter whether it is the city or village.

i do not think electricity is the only main thing.there should be no difference in schools,health care,quality of roads etc in the urban areas and in the rural areas.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by CROWE: 10:13pm On Jan 24, 2013
I understand that electricity is going to be cheaper in the rural areas to encourage people to stay there and develop them, its a sound plan. We will see.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jan 24, 2013
CROWÉ: I understand that electricity is going to be cheaper in the rural areas to encourage people to stay there and develop them, its a sound plan. We will see.

Believe you me if that happens, it will completely transform the rural areas in 5 - 7 years.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by Wadeoye(m): 10:24pm On Jan 24, 2013
CROWÉ: I understand that electricity is going to be cheaper in the rural areas to encourage people to stay there and develop them, its a sound plan. We will see.

Stay there to eat electricity?
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by passion007: 10:31pm On Jan 24, 2013
Wadeoye:

To get your FG-branded phone, farm, and then eat electricity.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by asha80(m): 10:33pm On Jan 24, 2013
passion007: To get your FG-branded phone, farm, and then eat electricity.

hehe grin
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jan 24, 2013
electricity + good access roads would unlock the rural economic potentials
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by asha80(m): 10:39pm On Jan 24, 2013
honestly i just get tired of the focus on urban areas(not as if fantastic is being done anyway)to the detriment of rural areas as if people living there are subhuman.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by passion007: 10:53pm On Jan 24, 2013
You do raise an important point however. Now I recall how my Aunt used to make gallons and gallons of palm oil, and export them via train up north...this woman was able to pay for her children's university education with her palm oil business-that was the early 90s, before things got so bad.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by asha80(m): 11:02pm On Jan 24, 2013
passion007: You do raise an important point however. Now I recall how my Aunt used to make gallons and gallons of palm oil, and export them via train up north...this woman was able to pay for her children's university education with her palm oil business-that was the early 90s, before things got so bad.

some of our fathers and mothers got educated while still living in the villages.i do not see the reason while it should change.the place where that american boy went on a shooting spree in a primary or was it nursery school in december last year looked like a rural setting to me.we have to reduce the rural urban migration madness that is bringing about city slums.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by Afam4eva(m): 11:07pm On Jan 24, 2013
What the rural areas need is just basic infrastructures like electricity, health care centers, schools and good roads. With this, there will be no need for people from the rural areas to migrate to the urban centers.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by asha80(m): 11:38pm On Jan 24, 2013
Afam4eva: What the rural areas need is just basic infrastructures like electricity, health care centers, schools and good roads. With this, there will be no need for people from the rural areas to migrate to the urban centers.

if only state governments can do those.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by OmidanOjuloge: 2:23am On Jan 25, 2013
Really made so much sense @ Op, the govt abandoned other towns and villages all they do is beautify and focus only on the state capital, I really hope this mentality changes. I wouldn't mind relocating to d rural areas tho if the basic amenities are provided. We need to do less talk and more action, the question is how do we bring this to the government's attention Or does everytin just die on Nairaland?
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by CROWE: 2:51am On Jan 25, 2013
Wadeoye:

It is the governments job to encourage business, entrepreneurship and industry with a favorable environment, cheap electricity will help to that end. If you cannot even see that then you should probably learn how to eat electricity cuz you are screwed otherwise.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by ba7man(m): 3:03am On Jan 25, 2013
They need to set up localized industries in those rural areas. These industries will bring an influx of workers that will require housing, health care, their children will require schools, markets will expand to meet their diverse needs, they have purchasing power so there's more money in circulation so banks will start springing up around, some indegenes will get employed.....It basically starts a chain reaction that results in growth.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by CROWE: 3:18am On Jan 25, 2013
It is not the governments job to provide industries, this is not a communist nation, the government will provide an environment suitable for the people to start up industries and erect their own empires. It is only in countries were people are not free that the government owns the companies.

Nike, Adidas, BMW, Mercedes, Microsoft, Apple, Toyota, Honda, Sony etc, these are some of the largest companies in the world, read their histories, the governments had nothing to do with the formation of any of them, I repeat, the government provides the environment and NOTHING more.

To put it more clearly, they provide cheap lending rates so people can gain capital, provide electricity, provide pipe borne water and provide good roads to connect these rural areas to the capital but as for full on hospitals and such that has to come as a result of triggered development and not before. Countries are built by their people, not by the government, it is what it means to industrialize, to allow/encourage the people to unleash their full potentials and that has been Nigeria's problem, the government took absolute control of the economy and basically gagged us all.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by ba7man(m): 3:28am On Jan 25, 2013
CROWÉ: It is not the governments job to provide industries, this is not a communist nation, the government will provide an environment suitable for the people to start up industries and erect their own empires. It is only in countries were people are not free that the government owns the companies.

Nike, Adidas, BMW, Mercedes, Microsoft, Apple, Toyota, Honda, Sony etc, these are some of the largest companies in the world, read their histories, the governments had nothing to do with the formation of anny of them, I repeat, the government provides the environment and NOTHING more.

To put it more clearly, they provide cheap lending rates so people can gain capital, provide electricity, provide pipe borne water and provide good roads to connect these rural areas to the capital but as for full on hospitals and such that has to come as a result of triggered development and not before. Countries are built by their people, not by the government, it is what it means to industrialize, to allow/encourage the people to unleash their full potentials.
That's why i feel a lot of our politicians a daft. Imagine a senario in which a politician decides to set up say a Cocoa plantation/ processing plant in a rural Ondo location with ill gotten wealth ( I don't support lootin the national treasury but just saying..). He can create this chain reaction that will bring about development.....not stashing it away in an underground room like an illitrate or letting it wallow in a foreign account where its use it to finance the country's economy. The money that is supposed to be used to drive the type of low interest lending to promote biznesses and industries has been looted and instead of re-investing it in the country, they hide it away. Dumb people.
Re: Infrastructural Development In Rural Areas by CROWE: 3:43am On Jan 25, 2013
ba7man: That's why i feel a lot of our politicians a daft. Imagine a senario in which a politician decides to set up say a Cocoa plantation/ processing plant in a rural Ondo location with ill gotten wealth ( I don't support lootin the national treasury but just saying..). He can create this chain reaction that will bring about development.....not stashing it away in an underground room like an illitrate or letting it wallow in a foreign account where its use it to finance the country's economy. The money that is supposed to be used to drive the type of low interest lending to promote biznesses and industries has been looted and instead of re-investing it in the country, they hide it away. Dumb people.

Now that I agree with.

(1) (Reply)

Lord Lugard Created Nigeria To Last For 100 Years Only-ibb / Emmanuel TV Has Released A Video Of TB Joshua Prophesying The Boston Bombing / How I Almost End Up A Roadside Mechanic –governor Fashola Reveals His Past

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.