Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,985 members, 7,799,362 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:42 PM

Nigerians and Honorific Titles - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerians and Honorific Titles (3292 Views)

Nigerians And Kenyans Attack One Another On Twitter (hilarious!) / Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect / Nigerians And Slang...wots Ur Own Favourite Slang??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians and Honorific Titles by NoShaking1(m): 1:16am On Aug 11, 2005
On "Titles"

Why do Nigerians attach so much significance to "titles"? Honorific titles such as "Dr" (especially if is an honorary one), "Alhaji", "Alhaja", "PHd"., "Engr", "Ambassador", "Chief", "Minister", etc. It wouldn't be amiss if you come across a name with the following: Chief (Dr) Alhaji (Name) Why the show off? Or is there another significant meaning to all these titles that we are not aware of?
Re: Nigerians and Honorific Titles by IAH(f): 2:14pm On Aug 11, 2005
Especially all those razz Fuji musicians who have never stepped classroom before. They bear titles like Barrister, Dr, Marshall, Commander, King, etc. Their gospel counterparts love Evangelist/Lady Evangelist and Dr before their names.
Not to mention chieftaincy titles that rich and wannabe rich Nigerian men and women bear e.g. Otunba, Asiwaju, Awise, Apase, Apena, Aremo, Bashorun, Basegun, Erelu and a very funny one borne by the former Deputy Governor of Osun State - Soroko. grin
Re: Nigerians and Honorific Titles by hotangel2(f): 4:14am On Aug 12, 2005
Gosh, you guys are so right. IAH is so right. All those titles mean nothing. I see no reason why they have to go everywhere with it.
Re: Nigerians and Honorific Titles by Hunter(m): 2:56am On Aug 14, 2005
It's actually a criminal offence here to prefix your name with a title that you're not.
Re: Nigerians and Honorific Titles by obong(m): 3:19pm On Sep 25, 2005
Why do we make up titles like Engr, Archt, and insist on placing every convieable title before our names? I even see Dr (mrs) blah blah blah. why the need for all of that? There is even a governor that goes by Senator Governor something something? I mean how can you beboth a gov and a senator.

Anyone have an thought as to where this obsession stems from?
Re: Nigerians and Honorific Titles by nike4luv(f): 7:17pm On Sep 25, 2005
i think when these people use honorary title, it makes them feel as if we people know how great they are even though the name doesnt fit them

god forgive me but am talking out of experience, the church i used to go too, y wondered why they always add Doctor in his name, turns out he didnt even have a phd in medicine and he needed everyone to call him doctor.
thats the problem with people, honour honour honour, even though they dont work for it
Re: Nigerians and Honorific Titles by hotangel2(f): 8:18pm On Sep 25, 2005
Nike, no need to ask God to forgive you. It's the truth. A man added Engr. to every place he wrote his name. Turns out he is a class 6 drop out. cheesy
Re: Nigerians and Honorific Titles by nike4luv(f): 8:21pm On Sep 25, 2005
i only said God forgive me because he was a reverend (at least what he calls himself because seriously, i dont see anything in him)..

i'm sorry dear lord embarassed
Re: Nigerians and Honorific Titles by hotangel2(f): 8:22pm On Sep 25, 2005
cheesy cheesy cheesy u r funny.

(1) (Reply)

The 10 Largest Submarine Fleets In The World / How To Get MTN Free 150MB FREE Airtime New Xmas Offer / Boko Haram Rat Killer Now On Sale•Picture•

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.