Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

Greek Gods - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Greek Gods (1553 Views)

John 1:1 According To Greek And Aramaic Translation / Did Paul Really Quote Greek Poets ? / Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Greek Gods by Affiliated(m): 3:49am On Jan 25, 2013
Who else is interested in worshiping Greek Gods, I like Greek Gods, they have fun personalities and make for great stories.

1 Like

Re: Greek Gods by Nobody: 11:00am On Jan 25, 2013
^^^

Good morning affiliated,

I must confess that the picture you put up made laugh.

I saw the two posts you put up this morning and they seem a bit on the extreme end (i.e atheistic) rather than the 'thread with caution' (Agnostic) kinda view.

Would it be appropriate to say that you are Atheist now?
Re: Greek Gods by Affiliated(m): 12:30pm On Jan 25, 2013
striktlymi: ^^^

Good morning affiliated,

I must confess that the picture you put up made laugh.

I saw the two posts you put up this morning and they seem a bit on the extreme end (i.e atheistic) rather than the 'thread with caution' (Agnostic) kinda view.

Would it be appropriate to say that you are Atheist now?

Thank you smiley

As regards the atheistic vs. agnostic Nobody has properly defined God but if God is the ultimate supreme being, I don't believe God to be a person or persons (I'm not saying that such persons don't exist) Some cells probably would classify me as God and worship me or something. To me God must be the smallest indivisible thing which makes up everything and to the best of my knowledge for now that thing is energy. So whatever exists is part of the God system (God being the supreme being). I'm just a skeptic though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Greek Gods by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jan 25, 2013
^^^

Hmmm...I have my eyes on you bro grin

Lol!

Anyways, I guess I was wrong then!

Welcome back though, haven't seen a post from you in a while.
Re: Greek Gods by onetrack(m): 3:38pm On Jan 25, 2013
Affiliated:

Thank you smiley

As regards the atheistic vs. agnostic Nobody has properly defined God but if God is the ultimate supreme being, I don't believe God to be a person or persons (I'm not saying that such persons don't exist) Some cells probably would classify me as God and worship me or something. To me God must be the smallest indivisible thing which makes up everything and to the best of my knowledge for now that thing is energy. So whatever exists is part of the God system (God being the supreme being). I'm just a skeptic though

That would make you a pantheist, or, possibly, a panentheist, depending on whether or not you think that the universe is god or the universe is just one aspect of god.
Re: Greek Gods by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:44pm On Jan 25, 2013
Finally someone who thinks like I do!

The greek gods were way more fun to worship. I think they had a real connection with humanity, Aphrodite, Poseidon, Hades, Athena......

just add Kratos and we are good to go!
Re: Greek Gods by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:47pm On Jan 25, 2013
The Greek Gods represent different Spiritual Energies in relation to the material world, and especially that of the human one.

Greek Religion and Philosophy was at a far advanced stage back then, giving rise to the Platonic , Pythagorean and Socratic schools of thought.
Re: Greek Gods by Affiliated(m): 4:27pm On Jan 25, 2013
striktlymi: ^^^

Hmmm...I have my eyes on you bro grin

Lol!

Anyways, I guess I was wrong then!

Welcome back though, haven't seen a post from you in a while.

Thank you. I got tired of the boxed limited thoughts for a while. I have my eyes on you too shocked grin
Re: Greek Gods by Affiliated(m): 4:28pm On Jan 25, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
The Greek Gods represent different Spiritual Energies in relation to the material world, and especially that of the human one.

Greek Religion and Philosophy was at a far advanced stage back then, giving rise to the Platonic , Pythagorean and Socratic schools of thought.

OK.
Re: Greek Gods by Affiliated(m): 4:30pm On Jan 25, 2013
Chrisbenogor: Finally someone who thinks like I do!

The greek gods were way more fun to worship. I think they had a real connection with humanity, Aphrodite, Poseidon, Hades, Athena......

just add Kratos and we are good to go!

I feel you bro. I've done research on them and I absolutely love their stories. How Zeus overthrew his father, How the father of Zeus also overthrew his own father and so on
Re: Greek Gods by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:52pm On Jan 25, 2013
Affiliated:

I feel you bro. I've done research on them and I absolutely love their stories. How Zeus overthrew his father, How the father of Zeus also overthrew his own father and so on

Quite interesting stories that kept me spell bound for hours. They sure had more creativity than our own fore fathers. No wonder they all accepted the next best thing christianity.

1 Like

Re: Greek Gods by Affiliated(m): 4:53pm On Jan 25, 2013
onetrack:

That would make you a pantheist, or, possibly, a panentheist, depending on whether or not you think that the universe is god or the universe is just one aspect of god.

Fascinating. I didn't know there was such a classification as that
Re: Greek Gods by PastorAIO: 5:50pm On Jan 25, 2013
Chrisbenogor:
Quite interesting stories that kept me spell bound for hours. They sure had more creativity than our own fore fathers. No wonder they all accepted the next best thing christianity.

ahhh hhhaaaa! Chris. What makes you think that their creativity was more than our forefathers. In the whole world of mythology there are no two closer mythologies than those of Greece and Yoruba. Even the manner of worship. That's why it is so easy for someone like Wole Soyinka to adapt Greek mythology to his own african plays.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/3818751?uid=3738032&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21101705708497

1 Like

Re: Greek Gods by Affiliated(m): 5:58pm On Jan 25, 2013
I find the Yoruba story of creation very unlike Greek's though. The one that a chicken came down on a chain to spread sand on the earth
Re: Greek Gods by PastorAIO: 5:59pm On Jan 25, 2013
Affiliated: I find the Yoruba story of creation very unlike Greek's though. The one that a chicken came down on a chain to spread sand on the earth

I meant more like the actual practice of the religion.

1 Like

Re: Greek Gods by Affiliated(m): 6:06pm On Jan 25, 2013
Pastor AIO:

I meant more like the actual practice of the religion.

OK. if you're interested in the story behind the religion as regards creation and all that, here it is

http://www.desy.de/gna/interpedia/greek_myth/creation.html

1 Like

Re: Greek Gods by PastorAIO: 6:58pm On Jan 25, 2013
Affiliated:

OK. if you're interested in the story behind the religion as regards creation and all that, here it is

http://www.desy.de/gna/interpedia/greek_myth/creation.html

Hesiod's Theogony. I love it.
Re: Greek Gods by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:26pm On Jan 25, 2013
all Pagan religions are underlyingly the same thing. it just happens that some are more complex and some are extremely simple. however both are equal in essence.
Re: Greek Gods by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:52pm On Jan 25, 2013
Pastor AIO:

ahhh hhhaaaa! Chris. What makes you think that their creativity was more than our forefathers. In the whole world of mythology there are no two closer mythologies than those of Greece and Yoruba. Even the manner of worship. That's why it is so easy for someone like Wole Soyinka to adapt Greek mythology to his own african plays.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/3818751?uid=3738032&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21101705708497

Lol
Pastor pastor how far na? No private jet yet? Nor fall my hand oh

Well I must confess I took time to read about this Yoruba mythology. I would and see if I am in agreement with kongi grin
Re: Greek Gods by plaetton: 11:09pm On Jan 25, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

And please do not forget that Greek philosophy and religion were borrowed and inspired by Egyptian Philosophy and religion.

It is not a coincidence that most of the famous Greek philosophers, like Pythogoras ,just happened to have studied in Egypt.

Nearly all Greek gods and lores have have parallels in Ancient Egyptian mythology.
The Greeks was so awed by the level of Egyptian civilization that modelled and named their cities after Egyptian Cities.
Re: Greek Gods by onetrack(m): 1:12am On Jan 26, 2013
Affiliated:

Fascinating. I didn't know there was such a classification as that

It's sometimes quite amazing to see that our crazy ideas have not only already been thought of, but actually labeled and classified!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

God's Little Test Subjects - Why The Love Of God Is A Fraud. / PHOTO – Prophet Caught Attempting To Rape His Church Member In Lagos / Are All Lawyers Liars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.