Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,803 members, 7,798,715 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:05 AM

Man Grows New Nose In His Arm - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Man Grows New Nose In His Arm (25221 Views)

Amazing Photo: Doctors Grew A New Nose And A Man's Fore Head / AMAZING: Chinese Man Gets New Nose On Forehead After Losing Nose To Accident / Man Grows Feminine Br3asts From Taking ARV,s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by Nobody: 5:16am On Jan 25, 2013
Click here for link

A British businessman who lost his nose to skin cancer is having a new one grown in his arm using stem cells, in a pioneering procedure.

Experts at University College London say the new nose will look exactly the same as the man's original one, and hope it will even have a sense of smell.
The trial marks the first time a full nose has been grown from scratch, and could in future be used as a therapy for patients such as soldiers and car crash victims, the Daily Mail reported.

The first stage of the process was to create a glass mould of the unnamed man's nose, and to spray it with a honeycomb-like material to form a biological scaffold for new cells to attach themselves to.
Once the scaffold had been built, the glass mould was removed and the biological frame was coated with millions of stem cells which can be coaxed into forming cartilage using chemicals.
At the same time, researchers inserted a small balloon beneath the surface of the man's arm and gradually inflated it to stretch the skin, making it loose enough to accommodate the new nose.

Two months ago, the framework bearing the stem cells was inserted under the skin in place of the balloon, and now resides in the man's arm where it is growing new networks of nerves, blood vessels and skin.

After three months beneath the man's skin, the nose will be ready for removal and can be surgically reattached to his face, allowing the arm to be sewn up and returned to normal.
The project is similar to a famous 1990s experiment in which American researchers attempted unsuccessfully to grow ears on a mouse for use in transplants.

Professor Alex Seifalian, who is leading the experiment, said the man's nose has been designed to look exactly like the original – slightly crooked.
He told BBC Focus magazine: "His nose was a little bit bent to the left and we asked if he wanted it straight but he said no, he wanted it exactly the same."

Amazing story.. hope the procedure is successful...

1 Like

Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by SamMilla1(m): 7:06am On Jan 25, 2013
Science is great. It is only a matter of time before humans can be able to do everything, except raise the dead or prevent deaths which will make life boring anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by executinal(m): 1:44pm On Jan 25, 2013
Science is just close to GOD. With GOD and science, everything is possible.

Very soon another research will be in place that will make human not to die and leave as long as they wish

@OP were picture na, abi you forget that we got allot of Thomas here? Seeing is believing wink

1 Like

Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by philipstanley(m): 1:46pm On Jan 25, 2013
Very soon humans will hardly be identify as humans
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by izenco2005(m): 1:46pm On Jan 25, 2013
undecided undecidedI hate news without picture,

8 Likes

Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by ameer2: 1:46pm On Jan 25, 2013
sadAdmin...weah photo
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by creativemusic: 1:46pm On Jan 25, 2013
sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by profola2be(m): 1:49pm On Jan 25, 2013
This story get K Leg oooo!
Ok,we don hear una
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by zeklng(m): 1:50pm On Jan 25, 2013
why all these for?
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by otikpoko(m): 1:50pm On Jan 25, 2013
No pictures? undecidedNo pictures?
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jan 25, 2013
Oouch!
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by KINGwax(m): 1:56pm On Jan 25, 2013
Sam Milla: Science is great. It is only a matter of time before humans can be able to do everything, except raise the dead or prevent deaths which will make life boring anyway.
they will qnythin except achieve evrytn. Let them manufacture real blood for me first, then i'll knw science is evrytn.
The truth is ds, for evry invention, i'm givin some yrs to come, u'll listen to some funny side effects.
Science has really tried, bt it won't be evrytn nature can offer

3 Likes

Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by SlyIg(f): 1:56pm On Jan 25, 2013
Picture o...

1 Like

Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by Donsammi(m): 1:56pm On Jan 25, 2013
no pix no believing
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by tevinsolt: 1:56pm On Jan 25, 2013
nothing new about this, there have been cases where new lungs, ears have been for patients with same method
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jan 25, 2013
OMG! shocked
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by Jazzgreen(m): 2:06pm On Jan 25, 2013
I comment my reserve
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by Sijo01(f): 2:14pm On Jan 25, 2013
Seeing is believing......were pisure
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by victorNRceo: 2:16pm On Jan 25, 2013
KINGwax: they will qnythin except achieve evrytn. Let them manufacture real blood for me first, then i'll knw science is evrytn.
The truth is ds, for evry invention, i'm givin some yrs to come, u'll listen to some funny side effects.
Science has really tried, bt it won't be evrytn nature can offer
Hey! Remember,jesus said to his listeners(in d book of Mathew) that we must be perfect becaue our father(God) is perfect.
If God delays jesus coming,wow,loads of inventions(mysteries) would occur.
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by elopee3000(m): 2:18pm On Jan 25, 2013
Only for oyibo land this news dey come from naija news na only tribalism u fit get,wen oyibo people begin dey sell life back our eyes go open,
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:19pm On Jan 25, 2013
Amazing.
Op, is d pix in da link? If yes, u 4 copy am 4rm dr & add 2 ds 'tory.
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by Clemzy16(m): 2:23pm On Jan 25, 2013
Seeing is beliving. This one Na Wash jooo. . .
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by victorNRceo: 2:26pm On Jan 25, 2013
Stop giving unreasonable statements and giving bible reference against scientific mysteries.
God does mysteries and if u could accept he(God) gives ideas to does who believe. U SHOULD KNOW THE SCIENTIST CAN CREATE MYSTERIES.
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by victorNRceo: 2:28pm On Jan 25, 2013
Stop giving unreasonable statements and giving bible reference against scientific mysteries.
God does mysteries and if u could accept he(God) gives ideas to does who believe. U SHOULD KNOW THE SCIENTIST CAN CREATE MYSTERIES.
Paul(in the bible)said 'I speak the words of truth and of reason' grin
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by JOYCEOUS(f): 2:28pm On Jan 25, 2013
izenco2005: undecided undecidedI hate news without picture,
me too
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by jaybee(f): 2:31pm On Jan 25, 2013
musKeeto: Click here for link

Amazing story.. hope the procedure is successful...

the man's nose has been designed to look exactly like the original – slightly crooked.
"His nose was a little bit bent to the left and we asked if he wanted it straight but he said no, he wanted it exactly the same."
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by victorNRceo: 2:32pm On Jan 25, 2013
'It is sweeting me oooo' my comments made page 0(first post page)grin haters;P
Re: Man Grows New Nose In His Arm by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jan 25, 2013
izenco2005: undecided undecidedI hate news without picture,
For this news story ESPECIALLY!!!!!! angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Omicron COVID Appeared In Nigeria In October - Weeks Before South Africa / COVID-19: Union Bank Shuts Branch Over Employee’s Contact With Patient / Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.