Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

The Wealthiest States In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Wealthiest States In Nigeria (5472 Views)

Oil Producing states In Nigeria - The Facts and Figures / Five Top Fastest Developing States In Nigeria That Are Undisputable / Percentage Of PVC Collection By States In Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by kettykin: 10:27am On Jan 25, 2013
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has rated the economy of Anambra as among the strongest in the country.

The Branch Manager of the bank in Awka, Mr Okoro Azubuike, announced the rating in Awka on Thursday when he received the Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku, who was on good governance tour of the state.

Azubuike said the deposit mobilisation on the state was third in the country behind Lagos and Kano, while it ranked fourth in terms of the presence of commercial and micro-finance banks.

He said the commercial cities of Onitsha and Nnewi were large and had made the state the commercial base of the South-east region.

In his remarks, Governor Peter Obi said the bank was crucial to the commercial activities of the state, adding that the government had resolved to fast track the construction of its permanent.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/cbn-ranks-anambra-third-in-deposit-mobilisation/137412/

1 Like

Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by kettykin: 10:35am On Jan 25, 2013
Nigerians should forget the Business Confidence report by some Local Business men in Lagos and the phanthom GDP report been circulated by some unidentified fellows Citing Wikipedia as the source of the Report here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_GDP
and rather Depend on the Report from CBN
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:36am On Jan 25, 2013
If this is the case, why hasn't the state gov't in 7 years deemed it fit to give Onitsha and Nnewi a befitting look to make them (the geese that lay the golden egg) able to retain and attract more investors?
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by kettykin: 10:52am On Jan 25, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:
If this is the case, why hasn't the state gov't in 7 years deemed it fit to give Onitsha and Nnewi a befitting look to make them (the geese that lay the golden egg) able to retain and attract more investors?

I think the Beautification has already commenced through the demolition of the Ghetto Markets around the Onitsha Bridghead
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by fredopayee(m): 11:02am On Jan 25, 2013
Wow' anambra state obodo m' but we need envisioned and seasoned governor to carry out most projects.
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by asha80(m): 11:10am On Jan 25, 2013
the truth is that the blue collar states seem to have higher level of money exchanging hands.these states are lagos,ogun,kano,borno,anambra and abia.rivers state is the exception here.l
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by joeyfire(m): 11:45am On Jan 25, 2013
Wow. These traders and businessmen no dey hear word o! You can bet its them driving the deposit mobilisation in the banks and not the white collar folk. Its sad that Peter Obi was unable to harness this effectively
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by kettykin: 11:51am On Jan 25, 2013
asha 80: the truth is that the blue collar states seem to have higher level of money exchanging hands.these states are lagos,ogun,kano,borno,anambra and abia.rivers state is the exception here.l

Anambra case is exceptional because the Deposit Mobilization is matched by the number of Bank Branches

Anambra has the 4th Largest number of commercial banks and Micro Finance banks the order is as follows Lagos , Abuja , Rivers and Anambra
in Deposit Mobilization Anambra is number 3 After Lagos and Kano

I don't have the details to know how much Kano is bigger than Anambra but some few key points i have noted are the following
Lagos is the most Populous state in Nigeria followed by Kano state .
Lagos gets the highest Federal Allocation while Kano gets the Second highest Federal Allocation in Nigeria apart from the 4 big Oil producing states of Niger Delta (Akwa Ibom,Rivers,Bayelsa,Delta)
Both Lagos and Kano has the highest number of Federal projects because of the high number of House of Rep members in the states and the syndrome of Constituency Projects.
Kano has the highest number of Local Government in Nigeria while Both Cities are the 2 oldest commercial Cities with the Oldest International Airports in the Country.

For Anambra to have made it to number 3 means Anambra has beaten states like Ogun despite it proximity to Lagos and producing Ex 2 Ex head of states (OBJ,Shonekan) 1 who looted Billions of Dollars of the Nations's wealth and has one of the largest farms in Africa which has also produced Enterprenuers like Abiola who at one time was Nigeria's Richest Man and Mike Adenuga whom was touted at a time as Africa's second Richest man some folks believe he is richer than Dangoted.
It has also Beaten Oyo state/Ibadan which some folks mouthed Recently as one of the Cities to watch out for and which some Phantom reports have its GDP as the 3rd Highest in the Country and one of the Largest and most populous Nigerian Cities.

1 Like

Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by asha80(m): 12:07pm On Jan 25, 2013
kettykin:

Anambra case is exceptional because the Deposit Mobilization is matched by the number of Bank Branches

Anambra has the 4th Largest number of commercial banks and Micro Finance banks the order is as follows Lagos , Abuja , Rivers and Anambra
in Deposit Mobilization Anambra is number 3 After Lagos and Kano

I don't have the details to know how much Kano is bigger than Anambra but some few key points i have noted are the following
Lagos is the most Populous state in Nigeria followed by Kano state .
Lagos gets the highest Federal Allocation while Kano gets the Second highest Federal Allocation in Nigeria apart from the 4 big Oil producing states of Niger Delta (Akwa Ibom,Rivers,Bayelsa,Delta)
Both Lagos and Kano has the highest number of Federal projects because of the high number of House of Rep members in the states and the syndrome of Constituency Projects.
Kano has the highest number of Local Government in Nigeria while Both Cities are the 2 oldest commercial Cities with the Oldest International Airports in the Country.

For Anambra to have made it to number 3 means Anambra has beaten states like Ogun despite it proximity to Lagos and producing Ex 2 Ex head of states (OBJ,Shonekan) 1 who looted Billions of Dollars of the Nations's wealth and has one of the largest farms in Africa which has also produced Enterprenuers like Abiola who at one time was Nigeria's Richest Man and Mike Adenuga whom was touted at a time as Africa's second Richest man some folks believe he is richer than Dangoted.
It has also Beaten Oyo state/Ibadan which some folks mouthed Recently as one of the Cities to watch out for and which some Phantom reports have its GDP as the 3rd Highest in the Country and one of the Largest and most populous Nigerian Cities.

i think for number of micro finance and commercial banks in anambra being fourth in the country is easy to deduce. Lagos = economic capital of nigeria;abuja=free political money flying everywhere;rivers=oil money.
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by pazienza(m): 12:30pm On Jan 25, 2013
@Ketty, nice analysis bro.
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by kettykin: 12:41pm On Jan 25, 2013
pazienza: @Ketty, nice analysis bro.

Thank you Bros
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by Nightshift(m): 1:25pm On Jan 25, 2013
The wealthiest states should have good infrastructures, functional administrative institutions, the lowest unemployment rates and a robust manufacturing sector . Its citizens should also have access to affordable health insurance , plus a sustainable social welfare for the weak and elderly . All the states in Nigeria lacks all of the above, and in my opinion cannot be classified as 'wealthy', unless we continue to live in denial . The states we have aren't even able to provide water to its citizens . I mean basic water.... And basic security ?
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by chino24: 2:48pm On Jan 25, 2013
Nightshift: The wealthiest states should have good infrastructures, functional administrative institutions, the lowest unemployment rates and a robust manufacturing sector . Its citizens should also have access to affordable health insurance , plus a sustainable social welfare for the weak and elderly . All the states in Nigeria lacks all of the above, and in my opinion cannot be classified as 'wealthy', unless we continue to live in denial . The states we have aren't even able to provide water to its citizens . I mean basic water.... And basic security ?

You must not comment because you do not have a point. When it does not favor your lame state then no state is developed nor wealthy. This is the same reason we say that Anambra is a monolithic state in the SE. There are only few states in Nigeria that can match Anambra, these are Lagos, Rivers and Kano. Anambra match on very soon we will be planning on acquiring incapacitated states around. Lol

2 Likes

Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jan 25, 2013
Anambra state is financially strong if you ask me...the state should move on to the beautification of the environment
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by slimming: 2:54pm On Jan 25, 2013
liberty300: Anambra state is financially strong if you ask me...the state should move on to the beautification of the environment
supported
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by chino24: 3:13pm On Jan 25, 2013
liberty300: Anambra state is financially strong if you ask me...the state should move on to the beautification of the environment

+1000

Btw I work and live in Awka. Beautification/road remodeling are presently taking place from Onitsha Head Bridge to Awka
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by EkoIle1: 3:17pm On Jan 25, 2013
Another low self esteem thread. Self insecurity is a disease.
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 3:19pm On Jan 25, 2013
I see no reason why Anambra should not be no 2 after Lagos. I think a lot of concerted efforts need to be put in place to even make Anambra compete with Lagos. The amount of money in Anambra is unimaginable. But the reason why some people look down on Anambra is because the infrastructure there is not as daring as those in other commercial cities. Anambra is the future.
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by Piyke: 3:22pm On Jan 25, 2013
Shouldn't this make frontpage

1 Like

Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by kettykin: 3:33pm On Jan 25, 2013
Afam4eva: I see no reason why Anambra should not be no 2 after Lagos. I think a lot of concerted efforts need to be put in place to even make Anambra compete with Lagos. The amount of money in Anambra is unimaginable. But the reason why some people look down on Anambra is because the infrastructure there is not as daring as those in other commercial cities. Anambra is the future.

I would suggest Anambrarians start with infrastructures like Rail Link to Ibaka Sea Port, Utilisation of the Sea Port in Onitsha, an International Airport or High Speed Rail Link to Enugu international Airport.

Anambrarians need to start looking at making Onitsha a smart City that will be on a 24 hour Operation that will start from the City centre and gradually spread to other parts of the City.
Some Roads will have to be 10 lane roads that can accommodate expansions like the Trunk roads in Onitsha and Nnewi.

Also a massive investment in International Trade ,Onitsha main market should actually make way for an international grade Shopping malls like is obtainable in Dubai that will run 24 hours , Nnewi should be upgraded into an Auto Manufacturing and Auto parts manufacturing center with a large Foundry , steel Furnace and forges to compliment .
With 2 Key industries the Auto Industry and the international Trade ,Anambra should be able to break any barrier
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 3:36pm On Jan 25, 2013
kettykin:

I would suggest Anambrarians start with infrastructures like Rail Link to Ibaka Sea Port, Utilisation of the Sea Port in Onitsha, an International Airport or High Speed Rail Link to Enugu international Airport.

Anambrarians need to start looking at making Onitsha a smart City that will be on a 24 hour Operation that will start from the City centre and gradually spread to other parts of the City.
Some Roads will have to be 10 lane roads that can accommodate expansions like the Trunk roads in Onitsha and Nnewi.

Also a massive investment in International Trade ,Onitsha main market should actually make way for an international grade Shopping malls like is obtainable in Dubai that will run 24 hours , Nnewi should be upgraded into an Auto Manufacturing and Auto parts manufacturing center with a large Foundry , steel Furnace and forges to compliment .
With 2 Key industries the Auto Industry and the international Trade ,Anambra should be able to break any barrier
You're spot on...

This is why i find it strange that some people will insult of when we speak about Anambra. With the right infrastructure and an international gateway, Onitsha and Nnewi will be one of the largest destinations in Africa. We have to start modernizing our markets to enable them competee with other commercial cities in the world.
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by manny4life(m): 3:36pm On Jan 25, 2013
Nightshift: The wealthiest states should have good infrastructures, functional administrative institutions, the lowest unemployment rates and a robust manufacturing sector . Its citizens should also have access to affordable health insurance , plus a sustainable social welfare for the weak and elderly . All the states in Nigeria lacks all of the above, and in my opinion cannot be classified as 'wealthy', unless we continue to live in denial . The states we have aren't even able to provide water to its citizens . I mean basic water.... And basic security ?

First off, let's test your basic economics here - what do you define as "wealth"?

Answer that question, and then we can move onto further explanation.

Btw, what you're speaking of is in terms of "development", you can experience growth (which leads to wealth), but you need development to sustain it. So for you to ignorantly state that because Anambra is lacking some infrastructures is plainly silly. Though infrastructures are important, it will not prevent those who want to break through, if Innoson could do it (car plant) with enormous amount of power required, anyone can do it. Anambra doesn't have any high debt profile, in fact, it was amongst the states without any debt YET, it was making do with its budget.

Nigeria as case example is growing economically, our SWF is growing, our reserves has increased by almost double digits (%), there are indicators that's showing the Nigeria is on the path of economic boom, but our development isn't that robust yet. At least with GEJ, power is improving, rail is improving, transportation is getting back on track. Communication is established and in the process of going higher, our banking/credit facilities are doing ok, agricultural schemes are in the direction. All these will support further growth.

What I'm saying in my rambling is that growth and development are two different things but need each other. Growth technically is directly proportional to wealth, but you need development to sustain it.
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by Sealeddeal(m): 3:37pm On Jan 25, 2013
This is a confirmation that the government led by Gov Peter Obi has done well in those areas that was necessary to bring anambra to its present rating.
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 3:39pm On Jan 25, 2013
Sealeddeal: This is a confirmation that the government led by Gov Peter Obi has done well in those areas that was necessary to bring anambra to its present rating.
That's a big fat lie. IMO, Anambra has always been one of the wealthiest states in the federation. This is not Peter Obi's doing.
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by chino24: 3:41pm On Jan 25, 2013
Eko Ile: Another low self esteem thread. Self insecurity is a disease.

Lol
You are the who felt intimidated and insecure over current realities of things. We can only go upward and forward. Take heart and live with it
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by Nightshift(m): 3:42pm On Jan 25, 2013
chino24:

You must not comment because you do not have a point. When it does not favor your lame state then no state is developed nor wealthy. This is the same reason we say that Anambra is a monolithic state in the SE. There are only few states in Nigeria that can match Anambra, these are Lagos, Rivers and Kano. Anambra match on very soon we will be planning on acquiring incapacitated states around. Lol
I have seen and lived in a wealthy state in a federation. In view of this fact , i refuse to accept your idea of a wealthy state . We must look at the big picture and stop ridiculing ourselves .
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by manny4life(m): 3:44pm On Jan 25, 2013
Nightshift: I have seen and lived in a wealthy state in a federation. In view of this fact , i refuse to accept your idea of a wealthy state . We must look at the big picture and stop ridiculing ourselves .

I asked you to define what "wealthy" states mean?
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by Sealeddeal(m): 3:44pm On Jan 25, 2013
do you think beautification has anything to do with what the CBN said here? Well,anambra need beautication but its not a priority and i wish it will be done when alot has been achieved.So far,the infrastructures we have is grossly inadequate and therefore,beautification is not a priority.
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by Nightshift(m): 3:48pm On Jan 25, 2013
manny4life:

First off, let's test your basic economics here - what do you define as "wealth"?

Answer that question, and then we can move onto further explanation.

Btw, what you're speaking of is in terms of "development", you can experience growth (which leads to wealth), but you need development to sustain it. So for you to ignorantly state that because Anambra is lacking some infrastructures is plainly silly. Though infrastructures are important, it will not prevent those who want to break through, if Innoson could do it (car plant) with enormous amount of power required, anyone can do it. Anambra doesn't have any high debt profile, in fact, it was amongst the states without any debt YET, it was making do with its budget.

Nigeria as case example is growing economically, our SWF is growing, our reserves has increased by almost double digits (%), there are indicators that's showing the Nigeria is on the path of economic boom, but our development isn't that robust yet. At least with GEJ, power is improving, rail is improving, transportation is getting back on track. Communication is established and in the process of going higher, our banking/credit facilities are doing ok, agricultural schemes are in the direction. All these will support further growth.

What I'm saying in my rambling is that growth and development are two different things but need each other. Growth technically is directly proportional to wealth, but you need development to sustain it.

Does saying that my state is wealthy but not developed make sense to you? Why do some people accept half truth in Nigeria ?
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by manny4life(m): 3:49pm On Jan 25, 2013
Nightshift: Does saying that my state is wealthy but not developed make sense to you? Why do some people accept half truth in Nigeria ?

Dude, I asked you a simple question - define wealth?

What you fail to understand is you mixing up two terms that have nothing in common but related however .
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 3:49pm On Jan 25, 2013
manny4life:

I asked you to define what "wealthy" states mean?
Wealthy simply means having a lot of resources(human, natural, money etc)...Anambra is wealthy no doubt but without development, the wealth will not be visible and there won't be room for more wealth.
Re: The Wealthiest States In Nigeria by kettykin: 3:52pm On Jan 25, 2013
Nightshift: I have seen and lived in a wealthy state in a federation. In view of this fact , i refuse to accept your idea of a wealthy state . We must look at the big picture and stop ridiculing ourselves .

The Big picture as far as Nigeria is concerned is whats CBN has just released, any contrary picture like the Fallacious and fictitious Document falsely circulated through the Internetas GDP of Nigerian States is nothing but fraud.

good infrastructures, functional administrative institutions, the lowest unemployment rates and a robust manufacturing sector
as wealthy as China is does china have the Lowest Unemployment rate or do they have better infrastructure than some European countries even though they have a robust manufacturing sector and relatively functional administrative institutions.
Onitsha like Dubai is the largest trading city in Africa and commands so much Cash flow.what the Government needs to do which they are doing is build infrastructures

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Will Our Generation Ever Witness Constant Power Supply? / Extracts From Barcanista's Posts About Buhari / Delta Okays N37.3bn For Osubi Airstrip Upgrade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.