Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,386 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:19 AM

National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures (43106 Views)

Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa / New National Museum Of African American History Derive From Yoruba Motifs / Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by sherif4owo(m): 4:27pm On Apr 27, 2015
niuce3
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by Hawlahscho(m): 4:31pm On Apr 27, 2015
[size=35pt]Museum or Shrine? undecided[/size]

1 Like

Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by Nobody: 4:33pm On Apr 27, 2015
strangest:
Is that the museum?

Same question lingers here
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by Clefcentfelix(m): 4:34pm On Apr 27, 2015
Eluwilussit:

Thanks man. I appreciate this. I am gonna save them. We are really greater than we think as a people. We need to harness our talents and cultures. Nigeria is a great and blessed country, for sure.

You are welcome! I believe in Nigeria too!
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by Orikinla(m): 4:39pm On Apr 27, 2015
I started work on the production of the documentary on the mysterious in 2004, but I abandoned the film project, because of unusual occurrences.
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by joladoyin(m): 4:45pm On Apr 27, 2015
You really need to see this

Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by eminikansoso(m): 4:56pm On Apr 27, 2015
mzlizabelle:
Can you please talk about the myths surrounding the Ere Esie?
Were they carved?
my friends from esie told me when we were in secondary school in Iwo-Isin kwara state that the way the image were arranged and looked, it will be difficult for someone to believe that they were all carved.

1 Like

Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by eminikansoso(m): 5:00pm On Apr 27, 2015
Pebcak:

[size=18pt]
Na to first go ORI OKE, fast for 100 days and 100 nights before i enter this kind zone because all the demons wey go dey watch champions league as people dey come even TB joshua+adeboye+oyedepo go need form Arsenal attack to cast em out if they follow u home [/size]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2352843_p3090077_jpegb952b9af5bb1e3d979a07581046af415

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2352844_stevensstatues_jpegc52ee26373bada46b7c606b6ae3df726

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2352845_stevensmuseumsm_jpeg2b15cb0bcd22eb23f661cc6602f0cbe3
nothing na ordinary images
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by Richiez(m): 5:07pm On Apr 27, 2015
Very Nice development, Let's preserve our cultural heritage
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by tobtap: 5:09pm On Apr 27, 2015
cool place...once stayed in a resort beside the place....had fond memories wink
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by absoluteSuccess: 5:09pm On Apr 27, 2015
Someone once told me that the statues used to be humans and then God shout on them and they became statue of different sorts.
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by mzlizabelle(f): 5:13pm On Apr 27, 2015
eminikansoso:

my friends from esie told me when we were in secondary school in Iwo-Isin kwara state that the way the image were arranged and looked, it will be difficult for someone to believe that they were all carved.
I'm also from Esie, just wanted to know the real myths surrounding it.
Were they formerly humans or carved?
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by geoworldedu: 5:17pm On Apr 27, 2015
vimi:
Its like u are closely related to an MOD, How this trash take make FP?

See dis one sef. If to say na tonto dike lips now u go dey happy to look am. Now something educative u nor want am. Chai! Where is d future of this country? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by Pebcak: 5:24pm On Apr 27, 2015
eminikansoso:

nothing na ordinary images

grin grin grin grin
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by bidexmat(m): 5:31pm On Apr 27, 2015
angry Lies! First museum? Where did u leave jos national museum? End time thread!
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by olatpic(m): 5:36pm On Apr 27, 2015
izu777:
Op you should have posted the pics of artifacts that are in the museum

Normally, you're not allowed to take pictures in the museum.
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by olatpic(m): 5:38pm On Apr 27, 2015
Abmalcom:
In the sleepy Igbomina town of Esie, Irepodun LGA Kwara State lays the first museum in Nigeria. The museum was established in 1945 to house one of the greatest treasures ever bequeathed to mankind, Esie Stone Images (Ere Esie).

Ere Esie has long been known and associated with the people of Esie. Indeed, it has become a referent in the cosmology and socio-cultural spectrum of the people. However, the origin of these stone figures has long been a subject of social and academic discourse. In some quarters, it is believed that the images were formally human beings turned to stone by Supreme Being (Olodumare), while researchers and Archaeological findings prove that they were carved by some yet to be identified carvers. In fact, the objects are shrouded in great mysteries, myths and taboos.

It is widely believed that Esie people migrated from old Oyo in the years of Alafin Amuniwaye (late 18th Century). An Oyo prince, Adesole had contested the throne with Amuniwaye and lost. Consequently, he had to leave the Oyo town as tradition forbade him to stay after losing the contest. These Oyo emigrants, having wondered and settled at different places finally came to their present abode around 1775. It is also believed that a famous hunter, Baragbon who took the mantle of leadership led the people to Esie. It is equally believed that it was Baragbon, during one of his hunting expeditions that he accidentally discovered the stone images in a grove arranged in a semi-circle. This grove is located about 1.4 kilometres south west of Esie Township. The images consist of over one thousand stone carvings of men and women presided over by a king (Oba Ere), the largest collection of stone images in sub-Sahara Africa. Majority of the objects are carved in sitting position and were manufactured from steatite type of rock, otherwise known as soapstone. Features like facial marks and striations are seen on majority of the objects while some of the heads are plain-faced.
The sculptures range in height from 1.4 to 120 cm and weight between 0.55 and 104 kilograms. The carvings represent people engaged in different social activities: some playing musical instruments and many armed with arrows, machetes and unidentified objects. Few objects represent lower social status while majority of the objects depicts higher social status as attested by their rich attires, heavy beads and well-designed headgears. The artistry of the objects suggests that the objects were produced by highly developed African Society of the past.

These impressive artistic features of the object prompted the then colonial government of Nigeria to build a shelter to house the images in 1945 at the site of discovery (National Museum, Esie).

Other facilities include:
• Vast land mass suitable for eco-museum
• Viable archaeological sites for excavation
• Spacious children playing ground
• A modern gallery with a permanent exhibition titled; Indigenous Artworks as Indicators of Cultural harmony
• A stand-by generating set.
• Serene environment etc.

For more inquires visit: www.ncmmnigeria.com
e-mail: esiemuseum@yahoo.com

Nice one OP, was actually @ the esie museum in december last year.
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by MoUTD: 5:46pm On Apr 27, 2015
am from esie...for those that want details about the stone images , u can go to any national museum for documented books about it or u visit the meseum. But the workers in the meseum will not permit u to snap them, as use of camera is prohibited except if u are smart.
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by ewizard1: 5:51pm On Apr 27, 2015
So they now allow pictures now?

I was there sometime last year was trying trying to make a Video Documentary from the entrance when the men we met there asked me to stop shooting that Videos/Pictures are not allowed!

I was at the Zoo too. They have a very nice Animal Collection.
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by tall2ce(m): 6:33pm On Apr 27, 2015
I remember I did esie art as a topic in Fine Arts during secondary school days.
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by Demmzy15(m): 6:47pm On Apr 27, 2015
Proudly Igbomina, even though I'm from Ifelodun LGA. We're brothers to Igbominas in Irepodun and other parts! grin grin Please someone should create a thread about 'Kajola' falls in ifelodun! grin
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by sunkoye: 6:58pm On Apr 27, 2015
Omo Elesie Owo. cool
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by Nobody: 7:37pm On Apr 27, 2015
All men were born EQUAL. Few chose to become Archaeologist.
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by gbafched: 8:54pm On Apr 27, 2015
Demmzy15:
Proudly Igbomina, even though I'm from Ifelodun LGA. We're brothers to Igbominas in Irepodun and other parts! grin grin Please someone should create a thread about 'Kajola' falls in ifelodun! grin
what stops you from creating one? Owa-kajola
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by mzlizabelle(f): 9:26pm On Apr 27, 2015
bidexmat:
angry Lies! First museum? Where did u leave jos national museum? End time thread!

Yeah, the first museum in Nigeria.
Precisely 1945. When was Jos national museum created?
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by Nobody: 9:59pm On Apr 27, 2015
izu777:
Op you should have posted the pics of artifacts that are in the museum
You can't. It's not allowed.
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by Nobody: 11:02pm On Apr 27, 2015
ewizard1:
So they now allow pictures now?
I was there sometime last year was trying trying to make a Video Documentary from the entrance when the men we met there asked me to stop shooting that Videos/Pictures are not allowed!
I was at the Zoo too. They have a very nice Animal Collection.

They do allow pictures around the premises. But not inside

1 Like

Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by Demmzy15(m): 11:14pm On Apr 27, 2015
gbafched:

what stops you from creating one? Owa-kajola
I haven't been there, just curious to know about the place grin

Proudly Igbomina grin
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by gbafched: 7:22am On Apr 28, 2015
out of no or little time, create time and visit the place. Experience they say is a great teacher
Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by swaggzo(m): 9:07am On Apr 28, 2015
Ymodulus:
After 2013 January.

His topic made front page today April 2015

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT, WHEN ALL THESE MODS KNOW IS A$$ AND B00BS AND CLEAVAGE AND BULLSHIIT!
REASONABLE TOPICS HARDLY MAKE FRONTPAGE!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by Nobody: 10:31am On Apr 29, 2015
ESIE SOAPSTONE

Re: National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures by Nobody: 10:35am On Apr 29, 2015
IMAGES OF ESIE SOAPSTONE

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Masquerade Falls Into A Drainage While Walking On The Road (VIDEO) / He Was Carrying Abominable Objects - Oba Of Benin Reacts To Chief's Humiliation / 10 Common Misconceptions About Ibadan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.