Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,145 members, 7,807,468 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

How Do People Become Atheists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do People Become Atheists (9730 Views)

Jesus Is The Reason Why People Become Atheists / Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? / How Did Black People Become Black? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 12:21pm On Jan 26, 2013
I have been seriously wondering, how do people become atheists?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 12:44pm On Jan 26, 2013
In an ant's world, the internet is unimaginable that however does not make the internet any less a reality. That we percieve and relate to our physical world through the senses does not make God who is a spirit any less real. Actually, He is much more real than the things we see, smell, taste, hear and feel-for the things we see are temporal, it is the things we do not see that are eternal. Friends, GOD IS REAL!

1 Like

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 1:00pm On Jan 26, 2013
One day, my younger brother was conversing with our father on the need for reducing salt in-take as one ages. Our father disagreed with him on the basis that our fathers ate salt without restrictions but had a longer life expectancy than we do today. Why will science suddenly come up with such a claim?
My brother then asked him how far he investigated the claim that panadol relieves headaches before he first used it. He had no aswer and we told him the same way believes panadol relieves headaches is the same way he should believe that salt intake should reduce with age as both facts have origins in Science.
You believe one mr. so and so is your father because you were told so. Why is it so difficult for you to believe there is a GOD WHO RULES IN THE AFFAIRS OF MEN?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 1:13pm On Jan 26, 2013
Think about the difficulty with which men have tried to predict sometimes just 10 years into the future to no avail.
You believe your investments will be profitable, you believe in change, you believe in day and night.
You should know that these happen because God decreed thousands of years ago that; "While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease." How dare you postulate that a God who made such a decree thousands of years ago and is still at work does not exist?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 1:23pm On Jan 26, 2013
I remember a professor(of blessed memory) who will tell his students that; "In the university, there is academic freedom which means you can decide to read or not read, attend lectures or not attend lectures, write exams or not write exams...but also remember that it also entail freedom to pass or fail."
I put it to you friends that in life, God has given you the freedom of choice and he is not going to meddle in your choices. However, brace up for the consequences of whatever choices you make.
Let me state for the records that God is and is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jan 26, 2013
Seems you are seriously trying to convince yourself that God is real.

I will leave you with a simple thread to read. Then get back to me

https://www.nairaland.com/1150005/library-best-40-atheist-arguments
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 2:00pm On Jan 26, 2013
Logicboy, I don't have any need to convince myself about the existence of God. It is a truth I have stopped arguing with and I need you to understand that the bible adequately answers all your arguements. I won't be a Christian if I didn't find the answers I sought.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jan 26, 2013
traeces: Logicboy, I don't have any need to convince myself about the existence of God. It is a truth I have stopped arguing with and I need you to understand that the bible adequately answers all your arguements. I won't be a Christian if I didn't find the answers I sought.

How did you solve the very first problatic question at the beginning of the bible? How did Adam and Eve have grandchildren children without incest- remember that God hates incest!
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by advocate666: 2:59pm On Jan 26, 2013
^^^shyt, he ran away?

1 Like

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jan 26, 2013
advocate666: ^^^shyt, he ran away?

lmao
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jan 26, 2013
a lot of it has to do with parental upbringing - Especially for those who come from Christian homes

"Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it." - Proverbs 22:6

I keep telling parents like myself, you teach your children how to make it big in life and forget the most important thing which is the destiny of their souls.

Other secondary reasons :

- false doctrines
- bad role models in the church
- bad experiences

now let the insults start flying smiley
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by engrtee(f): 3:15pm On Jan 26, 2013
GOD IS REAL. Whether u belive it or not
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 3:26pm On Jan 26, 2013
Logicboy03:

How did you solve the very first problatic question at the beginning of the bible? How did Adam and Eve have grandchildren children without incest- remember that God hates incest!
Well I don't seem to see any problematic question with the begining of the bible. John 1:1 says, "In the begining was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God." In Psalms 119:89, the bible says, "For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven."
So where is the problem?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 26, 2013
traeces:
Well I don't seem to see any problematic question with the begining of the bible. John 1:1 says, "In the begining was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God." In Psalms 119:89, the bible says, "For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven."
So where is the problem?

lol....diversion, perambulating and obfuscating!

How did Adam and Eve have grandchildren without incest?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 3:49pm On Jan 26, 2013
"How did Adam and Eve have
grandchildren without
Inbreeding?"

The term inbreeding is not contained anywhere in the bible from Genesis to Revelations. It is only a scientific term which means breeding within a small group so if the unlimited God of all the earth chose to give adam and eve children via inbreeding, how is that our business?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jan 26, 2013
traeces: "How did Adam and Eve have
grandchildren without
Inbreeding?"

The term inbreeding is not contained anywhere in the bible from Genesis to Revelations. It is only a scientific term which means breeding within a small group so if the unlimited God of all the earth chose to give adam and eve children via inbreeding, how is that our business?

Finally, you have admitted that your God is nonsensical. A wise God choosing inbreeding for the first human family rather than create enough people to grow human kind without inbreeding.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Heatblast(m): 4:03pm On Jan 26, 2013
traeces: I have been seriously wondering, how do people become atheists?

Well, its the same way you're atheist to other gods like allah, ogun, zeus, buddah etc. Your post could also go like this

traeces: In an ant's world, the internet is unimaginable that however does not make the internet any less a reality. That we percieve and relate to our physical world through the senses does not make zeus who is a spirit any less real. Actually, He is much more real than the things we see, smell, taste, hear and feel-for the things we see are temporal, it is the things we do not see that are eternal. Friends, ZEUS IS REAL!
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 4:12pm On Jan 26, 2013
Logicboy03:

Finally, you have admitted that your God is nonsensical. A wise God choosing inbreeding for the first human family rather than create enough people to grow human kind without inbreeding.

There is something God has given you that nobody can take away from you; It is the power to choose. That's why you can choose to insult God and the sky over your head will not necessarily fall on you.
Deut.30:19 puts it this way, "...I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live."
You remind me of those when we beginners in mathematics. Everytime we attempted a mathematical problem and arrived at answers which differed from those provided at the back of the textbook. We just concluded the authors had to be wrong. But overtime as our understanding deepened, we found that we and not the authors were wrong.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 4:22pm On Jan 26, 2013
Heatblast:

Well, its the same way you're atheist to other gods like allah, ogun, zeus, buddah etc. Your post could also go like this

I don't agree with you. Am a christian because I believe in the death, burial and ressurection of Jesus. And you need to know my faith derives from the word of God and it is the substance of my hope and the proof of the spiritual experiences that led me to believe.
That does not in any resemble how an atheist disbelieves God.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by BERNIMOORE: 4:24pm On Jan 26, 2013
@logicboy

nonsensical is your own language,and your personal evaluation that shows how defective your reasonings are in this respect without 'considering other facts but blindly concludes' thats even unwise of you in the first place and it is really funny that[b] 'you' are too infinitestimal to 'create a standard for judgement here'[/b] that will evaluate the activities of 'the creator' God is unaccountable to anybody,and can 'choose' ways to fuffill his purpose without prejudice'ok?

Haughtiness is the beggining of fall! you elevates yourself like[b] an ant king[/b], enjoying the services of his soldiers, you breathe fresh air, enjoying the good thing of nature yet,you grow in unappreciation.......check yourself brother, and people around you, you must be nuisance to your neighbor in all respect!by trying to force your opinion on us, Anyway, you are in for a big disappointment here as you have drove roughly without sense here!, i dont mean to insult you o. but you should have proven and carry us along into conclusion unanimously that God acted unwisely,but before we say jack! you are vommitting!
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 26, 2013
traeces:
There is something God has given you that nobody can take away from you; It is the power to choose. That's why you can choose to insult God and the sky over your head will not necessarily fall on you.
Deut.30:19 puts it this way, "...I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live."
You remind me of those when we beginners in mathematics. Everytime we attempted a mathematical problem and arrived at answers which differed from those provided at the back of the textbook. We just concluded the authors had to be wrong. But overtime as our understanding deepened, we found that we and not the authors were wrong.

Fail. Your bible cant be related to mathematics or used in an analogy relating to mathematics. Your religion/bible/god is illogical. Mathematic follows logic.

You didnt tackle the problem of inbreeding. You just went to attack me
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 26, 2013
BERNIMOORE: @logicboy

nonsensical is your own language,and your personal evaluation that shows how defective your reasonings are in this respect without 'considering other facts but blindly concludes' thats even unwise of you in the first place and it is really funny that[b] 'you' are too infinitestimal to 'create a standard for judgement here'[/b] that will evaluate the activities of 'the creator' God is unaccountable to anybody,and can 'choose' ways to fuffill his purpose without prejudice'ok?

Haughtiness is the beggining of fall! you elevates yourself like[b] an ant king[/b], enjoying the services of his soldiers, you breathe fresh air, enjoying the good thing of nature yet,you grow in unappreciation.......check yourself brother, and people around you, you must be nuisance to your neighbor in all respect!by trying to force your opinion on us, Anyway, you are in for a big disappointment here as you have drove roughly without sense here!, i dont mean to insult you o. but you should have proven and carry us along into conclusion unanimously that God acted unwisely,but befire we say jack! you are vommitting!

Wow, so your argument is that God can choose to do what he likes and we cant question him? You shift away from the fact that your god endorsed inbreeding with Adam and Eve? Why worship such a god? A dictator?

All I did was present an argument which you couldnt handle and went into illoigcal rants about how God is unquestionable and how much of a nusiance I am.

Face it. If God is unquestionable, then you cant judge him if he sends r.apists to molest all the women in your family- just like how he sent bears to tear apart children who made the only crime of mocking a bald man.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 4:49pm On Jan 26, 2013
Logicboy03:

Fail. Your bible cant be related to mathematics or used in an analogy relating to mathematics. Your religion/bible/god is illogical. Mathematic follows logic.

You didnt tackle the problem of inbreeding. You just went to attack me
Am really happy that you realize the bible transcends logic. If you quit trying to analyze it with the tools logic provide and pray God to open the eyes of your spirit in his mercies, then you will find help.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by BERNIMOORE: 4:50pm On Jan 26, 2013
[size=14pt]Fail[/size]. Your bible cant be related to mathematics or used in an analogy relating to mathematics. Your religion/bible/god is illogical. Mathematic follows logic.

bolded above, shows that you have created a a selfish standard of judgement whereby inexperienced fall into,....you evade this answer below from traeces;

The term inbreeding is not contained anywhere in the bible from Genesis to Revelations.

cant you prove otherwise?

then he challenged you here;

It is only a scientific term which means breeding within a small group so if the unlimited God of all the earth chose to give adam and eve children via inbreeding, how is that our business?

if you are for real, how (inbreeding: a scientific term) is our business?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Heatblast(m): 4:55pm On Jan 26, 2013
traeces:
I don't agree with you. Am a christian because I believe in the death, burial and ressurection of Jesus. And you need to know my faith derives from the word of God and it is the substance of my hope and the proof of the spiritual experiences that led me to believe.
That does not in any resemble how an atheist disbelieves God.

I don't think you get me. I know you believe in your god but what I'm try to assume here is that you don't believe in other gods. Simply put, you're an atheist to other gods apart from yours, and that is what I used to answer your first question
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by traeces(m): 5:02pm On Jan 26, 2013
Heatblast:

I don't think you get me. I know you believe in your god but what I'm try to assume here is that you don't believe in other gods. Simply put, you're an atheist to other gods apart from yours, and that is what I used to answer your first question
I perfectly understood you. I just needed you to understand also that the source and foundation for faith in God and disbelief in every other gods is perculiar to me and others like me which means my faith in God cannot and should not be likened to someone's disbelief in God.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by BERNIMOORE: 5:08pm On Jan 26, 2013
@logicboy
Wow, so your argument is that God can choose to do what he likes [/b]and we cant question him?
do you reason at all? if not,''God can choose'' here shows how humble he is in using his powers!

You shift away from the fact that your god endorsed inbreeding with Adam and Eve?
are you infected with a virus such that one will repeat an answer 3 times? see it again; The term inbreeding is not contained anywhere in the bible from Genesis to Revelations.
Why worship such a god? A dictator?
you knew that i have noticed the way you rush into conclusions, you need to free the virus preventing your head to reason with every words provided as an answer before posting, God cannot be a dictator because, [b]we trust
his judgement,(work out his purpose with our love in mind) and we respect him for who he is, and how he chooses to carry out his purpose

All I did was present an argument which you couldnt handle and went into illoigcal rants about how God is unquestionable and how much of a nusiance I am.
the way you rush into conclusions are too childish and poor!

Face it. If God is unquestionable, then you cant judge him if he sends r.apists to molest all the women in your family-
he will not do that! we trust him. he has his legitimate reasons in all he does.

just like how he sent bears to tear apart children who made the only crime of [size=14pt]mocking a bald man[/size].

'mocking a bald man' you have answered! punishment for mocking! use your head pls.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Heatblast(m): 5:08pm On Jan 26, 2013
@traeces Okay
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jan 26, 2013
These christians are reetarded.

One claims that inbreeding is not in the bible when the act is performed in the bible (eg Abraham and Sarah)

The other claims that the bible is not illogical but beyond logic! There is only logical and illogical....there is nothing beyond logic.

Another funny comment is that one claims that it is just to set two bears loose on children for mocking a bald man. You foolsih christian will have children one day and I will see if you will sacrifice them wehn they are disrespectful
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by wiegraf: 6:41pm On Jan 26, 2013
traeces: In an ant's world, the internet is unimaginable that however does not make the internet any less a reality. That we percieve and relate to our physical world through the senses does not make God who is a spirit any less real. Actually, He is much more real than the things we see, smell, taste, hear and feel-for the things we see are temporal, it is the things we do not see that are eternal. Friends, GOD IS REAL!

This has already been pointed out to you, and your response has been faaarrr from satisfactory. This here translates to god is real because you say so. Or did you provide evidence anywhere?

Pure, arrogant nonsense. You expect me to believe in your god just because you say so? Good, accept my assertion that there is no god because I say so. Or allah, zeus, pikkiwokki, paying tithes to me, discriminating against other religions, the earth as the centre of the universe, women as inferior, jewish zombies, talking fires, a man splitting the moon in half, pedophilia, the earth being on the back of a turtle, santa....etc etc etc. Accept all these, plus some, just because I say so. I have after all provided as much evidence as you have; non. Perhaps you'd like some metaphysical nonsense to go with that? Fine, all this is true because there is a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow. Also, when I see suya on tv when hungry, I salivate, therefore atheism and all the other etcs.

Do you see how arrogant you are? Go and get some evidence before you come at us with this nonsense, ie is if you expect civil replies. Your other arguments are just as laughably weak, but we can stick to this for now.

And generally, how do you know you were born a theist? You do realize religion has been hammered into you from childhood? Or did you try being muslim, jain, sikh etc without any sort of pressure or indoctrination from childhood? What you're doing here is assuming you were born a manure fan, or chel$ki fan, or a jay z fan, or a republican etc. Or are you saying religious belief is biological?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by seekingtruth(m): 6:48pm On Jan 26, 2013
BERNIMOORE: @logicboy

do you reason at all? if not,''God can choose'' here shows how humble he is in using his powers!

are you infected with a virus such that one will repeat an answer 3 times? see it again; The term inbreeding is not contained anywhere in the bible from Genesis to Revelations.

you knew that i have noticed the way you rush into conclusions, you need to free the virus preventing your head to reason with every words provided as an answer before posting, God cannot be a dictator because, we trust his judgement,(work out his purpose with our love in mind) and we respect him for who he is, and how he chooses to carry out his purpose But ur bible described Him as a dictator.

the way you rush into conclusions are too childish and poor!

he will not do that! we trust him. he has his legitimate reasons in all he does.

'mocking a bald man' you have answered! punishment for mocking! use your head pls.
How would u feel if ur innocent child was among those children?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 26, 2013
ignorance and frustration

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Andrew Remilekun- Divine Revelation Of Heaven And Hell (no Time To Waste) / Lagos Pastor Confesses: I Belong To The Ogboni Confraternity (FULL INTERVIEW) / Happy Father's Day To The Entire Catholic Fathers All Over The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.