Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:53 PM

How Do People Become Atheists - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do People Become Atheists (9732 Views)

Jesus Is The Reason Why People Become Atheists / Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? / How Did Black People Become Black? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 2:52am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

And it was written to who? Christian? And for what purpose was it written or given? These and many more are the root of the matter you should first find out before you discredit the Bible. Was it written to Christians? Answer me now before I flog you.... grin And if it wasn't written to Christians, what was the reason God will have to give such laws and commandments?

God writing a law? Why cant he come down and live in ajegunle and set a good example himself?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 2:53am On Jan 27, 2013
Logicboy03:

3 reetarded questions there. God commanded the slavery. It doesnt matter to whom it was commanded to. What matters and disgusts atheists is that fools like you will still worship this foreign tyrannical God.

When e be say na so so communion you dey go chop when you're a Christian, how you go sabi something? What is the meaning of the slave that was commanded in the OT to the NT? Can you answer that kweshion please?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 2:53am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

You see why I don't like talking to kids. mazaje and I haven't insulted ourselves but little boy is written all over you. Grow up young man. Slaves in the bible has two meanings, go to the root of biblical words and stop showing your ignorance all over this place. When I have time to debunk your logic one day, you will see me in action. If you can't discuss without insult, I won't respond to you again.

You think I will stop insulting christians like you? You are animals who dont work with logic. Fear and anger is what you understand. Sheep.

I can respect Anony and Pastor AIO but not enemies of reason like you.

By the way, the bible supports slavery.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 2:55am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

When e be say na so so communion you dey go chop when you're a Christian, how you go sabi something? What is the meaning of the slave that was commanded in the OT to the NT? Can you answer that kweshion please?

What? So the OT command didnt come from God?

Is your brain leaking?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 2:55am On Jan 27, 2013
Logicboy03:

The average Nigerian christian is a reetard and you belong to such a group.
dont be silly. Make ur point and move on

Did I not mention Paul's writing on women?

Did I not mention the uselessness of the bible in company law or internet regulations?

Address what I wrote.
cant you read? You are simply addressing the bible as being static, hence my response telling u how relevant the bible is to the modern day lives.

Extra fails of the bible that would carry 21st century people backwatrds
-racism of Jesus to the Canaanite woman
-New testament support for slavery
-
you really need to improve ur understanding of the bible
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 2:57am On Jan 27, 2013
mazaje:

The entire bible you guys claim is the word of god, no?. . .Toba said the bible tells people not to steal. if i ask him for reference I believe he will show me the ten commandments. Was the ten commandments given to christians? . . . .What's the purpose of selling a person's daughter into slavery?. . .Because I just can't understand why a merciful and loving god will tell people to stone to death their disobedient children. . .It might make sense to the ancient people that wrote it but to me it just doesn't. . .

Yes, it doesn't make sense to me also but you must understand that Christians were NEVER under that covenant in the first place. When he says we should not steal, not because the first covenant says so but because the NEW law of God is written in our heart under the NT.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 2:59am On Jan 27, 2013
ifeness:

God writing a law? Why cant he come down and live in ajegunle and set a good example himself?

Has God ever come down to any nation to build for them? What are you talking about? Your question in itself is illogical.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:00am On Jan 27, 2013
mazaje:

The entire bible you guys claim is the word of god, no?. . .Toba said the bible tells people not to steal. if i ask him for reference I believe he will show me the ten commandments. Was the ten commandments given to christians? . . . .What's the purpose of selling a person's daughter into slavery?. . .Because I just can't understand why a merciful and loving god will tell people to stone to death their disobedient children. . .It might make sense to the ancient people that wrote it but to me it just doesn't. . .
Love ur neighbour as yourself by Jesus Christ covers thou shall not steal. Jesus didnt negate the ten comandments. did he? read mark 12 30 to 32
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 3:01am On Jan 27, 2013
Logicboy03:

You think I will stop insulting christians like you? You are animals who dont work with logic. Fear and anger is what you understand. Sheep.

I can respect Anony and Pastor AIO but not enemies of reason like you.

By the way, the bible supports slavery.

Well, if you're gonna continue insult me without a logical argument, then I will leave you alone. I "might" respond to post addressed to me without insult. Thank you.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 3:03am On Jan 27, 2013
Logicboy03:

What? So the OT command didnt come from God?

Is your brain leaking?

The OT commadment came from God BUT not to Christians. It was to the Jews under an obsolete covenant. The NT is under a better covenant. When God was dealing with ONE nation is NOT THE SAME as when God NOW dealing with ALL NATIONS of the earth.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by mazaje(m): 3:07am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

Yes, it doesn't make sense to me also but you must understand that Christians were NEVER under that covenant in the first place. When he says we should not steal, not because the first covenant says so but because the NEW law of God is written in our heart under the NT.

Covenant?. . .Even the Jews themselves that still have the OT as their holy book do NOT abide by most of the things written in the OT. . . .If you try to obey and live by just few of the injunctions of the OT as a Jew in Israel today, you will be arrested and imprisoned. . .Even the Jews of today that believe ONLY in the OT do not agree or obey most of what is written inside the holy book, their morality is way above that of the god they believe in. . . .

So stealing is a new law written in your heart but selling your daughter into slavery is not, eh?. . . .Can you show me your heart so that I can see where it is written?. . . grin
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by mazaje(m): 3:10am On Jan 27, 2013
toba: Love ur neighbour as yourself by Jesus Christ covers thou shall not steal. Jesus didnt negate the ten comandments. did he? read mark 12 30 to 32

Leviticus 19:18 also says you should love your neighbour as yourself. . .The OT then goes to tell people to kill their neighbours if they worship other gods. . .Sell their kids into slavery etc. . . .
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 3:16am On Jan 27, 2013
mazaje:

Covenant?. . .Even the Jews themselves that still have the OT as their holy book do NOT abide by most of the things written in the OT. . . .If you try to obey and live by just few of the injunctions of the OT as a Jew in Israel today, you will be arrested and imprisoned. . .Even the Jews of today that believe ONLY in the OT do not agree or obey most of what is written inside the holy book, their morality is way above that of the god they believe in. . . .

Exactly what I'm saying. It's obsolete. God took away the Old so he can establish the New.

mazaje:

So stealing is a new law written in your heart but selling your daughter into slavery is not, eh?. . . .Can you show me your heart so that I can see where it is written?. . . grin

Who said stealing is a new law? Are you saying we should steal or what? No one, whether Christian or not, should steal. What I said was, when toba said we should not steal, it's not because the OT says so but because Christians are not to steal etc and without being told, our conscience bears without that stealing is wrong whether Christian or not. You, even as an Atheist, do you steal? I doubt you do.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:18am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

Has God ever come down to any nation to build for them? What are you talking about? Your question in itself is illogical.

Come down from where actually? You mean a sky god?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 3:20am On Jan 27, 2013
mazaje:

Leviticus 19:18 also says you should love your neighbour as yourself. . .The OT then goes to tell people to kill their neighbours if they worship other gods. . .Sell their kids into slavery etc. . . .

You're only holding unto OT and yet you just said even the Jews don't follow the Old anymore. It seems to me you just want to hang on excuses of the obsolete testament. It is OBSOLETE and no longer fits into the New. Okay, does the NT ever tell Christians to kill their neighbours who worship other gods? Does the NT ever say sell kids into slavery? Yet, you claim God never changes and the same yesterday today and forever. Your very own argument is illogical.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 3:21am On Jan 27, 2013
ifeness:

Come down from where actually? You mean a sky god?

What do you call the atmosphere you see atop our immediate earth? I think I want to debunk you today...... grin
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:24am On Jan 27, 2013
BĂ©lla3: People become atheists because they want to feel smarter.
Trust me it has something to do with esteem issues.

P.S: Only a small percent of 'em are actually honest in their unbelief!

Really?
So you mean if John was a dumbass who wanted to feel like an intelligent guy he would wake up one morning and denounce his faith?
I could agree that most atheists do feel smarter, but that has nothing to do with their reasons for becoming atheists.
People become atheists because they question, and they question without fear.

3 Likes

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:25am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

You're only holding unto OT and yet you just said even the Jews don't follow the Old anymore. It seems to me you just want to hang on excuses of the obsolete testament. It is OBSOLETE and no longer fits into the New. Okay, does the NT ever tell Christians to kill their neighbours who worship other gods? Does the NT ever say sell kids into slavery? Yet, you claim God never changes and the same yesterday today and forever. Your very own argument is illogical.

Without the old testament, Christianly will be like a half baked bread. Its either you let it go or you stick to the evil laws which encourages rape,mass murder,slavery etc. our todays law may not be perfect but is by a long mile better than all the laws in the bible.

Take out the old testament ,you wont have the ridiculous stories of creation . You wont have the story of an evil deity who loves blood sacrifices.. And no tithe and offering sad
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:26am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

What do you call the atmosphere you see atop our immediate earth? I think I want to debunk you today...... grin

Be my guest. Let us start from the first page of the bible tho
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 3:28am On Jan 27, 2013
inurmind:

Really?
So you mean if John was a dumbass who wanted to feel like an intelligent guy he would wake up one morning and denounce his faith?
I could agree that most atheists do feel smarter, but that has nothing to do with their reasons for becoming atheists.
People become atheists because they question, and they question without fear.

Why e be say na so so my sister Bella you like to dey follow follow? grin Na so you dey follow her for the other thread. Be careful o. grin

Anyway, it's good to ask questions. I do ask questions too. It enhances our reasoning capacity. I agree with you on that one sha. But stop following my sister or I ban you.... grin
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by mazaje(m): 3:28am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

Exactly what I'm saying. It's obsolete. God took away the Old so he can establish the New.

Who said stealing is a new law? Are you saying we should steal or what? No one, whether Christian or not, should steal. What I said was, when toba said we should not steal, it's not because the OT says so but because Christians are not to steal etc and without being told, our conscience bears without that stealing is wrong whether Christian or not. You, even as an Atheist, do you steal? I doubt you do.

People that were living in other parts of the world knew that stealing was wrong long before the 10 commandments were written. . .As for the moral evolution between the OT and the NT, I have my own explanations for that but I know you won't accept it. . .So lets just agree to disagree. . .
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 3:32am On Jan 27, 2013
ifeness:

Without the old testament, Christianly will be like a half baked bread. Its either you let it go or you stick to the evil laws which encourages rape,mass murder,slavery etc. our todays law may not be perfect but is by a long mile better than all the laws in the bible.

Take out the old testament ,you wont have the ridiculous stories of creation . You wont have the story of an evil deity who loves blood sacrifices.. And no tithe and offering sad

I agree with you but the OT is so that we can appreciate the NT. Like I always said, it was written to Jews, not to Christians. When we read it, we can better appreciate the NT. Christians were NEVER under that law in the first place. Also, the OT was pointing to the redemption process and Christ. Christ had come to show us a better way to God and to people around us. There's no greater love than that - I love you and you love me. That's what the NT hangs on.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by mazaje(m): 3:35am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

I said even the Jews that believe in the OT find it repulsive and refuse to follow what is written inside. . .The Jews that practice Judaism believe in the OT but refuse to obey it. . .They do NOT believe in any new or old. . .They just find the injunctions in their own holy book barbaric and refuse to obey it. . .I am not the one that claimed that the bible god does not change, the bible made the claim. . .The bible says its god remains the same for ever and never changes. . .If the OT is obsolete then why is it part of the bible?. . .Why do you read from it and take or obey some of the good parts but discard the bad parts?. . .

1 Like

Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:37am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

I agree with you but the OT is so that we can appreciate the NT. Like I always said, it was written to Jews, not to Christians. When we read it, we can better appreciate the NT. Christians were NEVER under that law in the first place. Also, the OT was pointing to the redemption process and Christ. Christ had come to show us a better way to God and to people around us. There's no greater love than that - I love you and you love me. That's what the NT hangs on.

So do you accept that the Old testament deity was evil and had no symtom of the fruits of the spirit always preached about in the bible?

My question if you agree with the above: why are you worshiping such entity?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 3:37am On Jan 27, 2013
mazaje:

People that were living in other parts of the world knew that stealing was wrong long before the 10 commandments were written. . .As for the moral evolution between the OT and the NT, I have my own explanations for that but I know you won't accept it. . .So lets just agree to disagree. . .

Yes, brother. If I start to teach somethings by my knowledge. Some people will think I'm teaching heresy. Hence, I hold some teaching. Not because I'm afraid but timing. Like you said, before the 10 commandment, people knew stealing and killing were wrong. Those who kill and steal before the law of ten commandment sinned but that's the reason God had to redeem man to the original state before the fall - to a perfect moral being.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:39am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

Why e be say na so so my sister Bella you like to dey follow follow? grin Na so you dey follow her for the other thread. Be careful o. grin

Anyway, it's good to ask questions. I do ask questions too. It enhances our reasoning capacity. I agree with you on that one sha. But stop following my sister or I ban you.... grin

Lmao, only if you knew. Frankly I think some things should be the other way round.
And I saw the post on my following list and I found it interestingly false thats why I replied it.
Me no dey follow your sister o, before you go send evil spirit come steal my private jet destiny.grin
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 3:41am On Jan 27, 2013
mazaje:

I said even the Jews that believe in the OT find it repulsive and refuse to follow what is written inside. . .The Jews that practice Judaism believe in the OT but refuse to obey it. . .They do NOT believe in any new or old. . .They just find the injunctions in their own holy book barbaric and refuse to obey it. . .I am not the one that claimed that the bible god does not change, the bible made the claim. . .The bible says its god remains the same for ever and never changes. . .If the OT is obsolete then why is it part of the bible?. . .Why do you read from it and take or obey some of the good parts but discard the bad parts?. . .

First, I do not obey some part and leave some part. The old contain redemptive process and Christ hidden in the Old. I read it to enable me better appreciate the privileges and Grace in the New. Off course, the Jews NOW cannot obey it anymore because it's obsolete. It was the same God who gave it that took it away.
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by mazaje(m): 3:41am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

So god didn't know a better way to himself and had to change tactics?. . .Any way, I am not up for theological arguments that are predicated on some abstract premise. . .
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 3:44am On Jan 27, 2013
ifeness:

So do you accept that the Old testament deity was evil and had no symtom of the fruits of the spirit always preached about in the bible?

My question if you agree with the above: why are you worshiping such entity?

I do not agree that God is evil. Never! It was the people of national Israel that were stiff necked. If you give your child instructions and such doesn't obey how will you feel?
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:45am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

Yes, brother. If I start to teach somethings by my knowledge. Some people will think I'm teaching heresy. Hence, I hold some teaching. Not because I'm afraid but timing. Like you said, before the 10 commandment, people knew stealing and killing were wrong. Those who kill and steal before the law of ten commandment sinned but that's the reason God had to redeem man to the original state before the fall - to a perfect moral being.

You still call the Old testament deity God after the atrocities it/she/he committed. Example, if i saw a man trying to kill a lil boy,i would either call the police or try to defend the lil boy. Abraham was deceived by this god to kill his son,only to tell him he was testing him. That doesn't seem like an all knowing god. Otherwise he should have know if Abraham really loved him....judging from the fact that he is always said to be an all knowing god.

After reading the Old testament,the Bible god wasn't the type i would trust as a friend. Always angry ,always want sacrifices.

Talk about the tower of babel.......another story we dnt wanna talk about.

My conclusion, that god did worse that hitler !
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Goshen360(m): 3:46am On Jan 27, 2013
inurmind:

Lmao, only if you knew. Frankly I think some things should be the other way round.
And I saw the post on my following list interestingly false thats why I replied to it.
Me no dey follow your sister o, before you go send evil spirit come steal my private jet destiny.grin

Hahahahahaha, Noooooooooo, I can't send any evil spirit o as I have none. Anyway, just be careful wif my sister. I dey watch you closely o. If I catch you another thread again, you go see wetin I go do for you....lolz. Na to lay you don and wip you wella grin grin grin
Re: How Do People Become Atheists by Nobody: 3:47am On Jan 27, 2013
Goshen360:

I do not agree that God is evil. Never! It was the people of national Israel that were stiff necked. If you give your child instructions and such doesn't obey how will you feel?

But the child does have free will,doesn't it? Why would he be angry iif the lil kid dis obeys? He needs to learn from his/her mistakes without the use of force

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Andrew Remilekun- Divine Revelation Of Heaven And Hell (no Time To Waste) / Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective. / Lagos Pastor Confesses: I Belong To The Ogboni Confraternity (FULL INTERVIEW)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.