Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,362 members, 7,808,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees (38771 Views)

Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH / A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by babblu91: 6:31pm On Feb 03, 2013
hi simpleseyi you online now
anybody having oracle 10g dumps
i need to write it by this week can u send me the
latest dumps for iz0001, iz0042, iz0043
send it to babblu91@gmail.com
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 9:48am On Feb 04, 2013
J12:

This has nothing to do with UNN, the student is simply brilliant.

Put your white clothing in soothe or charcoal and tell me the outcome
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 04, 2013
adim2: Tanx bro.

I get upset when some people prematurely concludes that UNN are living on past glory and yet we are bringing out young men and women who are making nigerian's proud. And when they start hearing our own names, their children will simply tell our children that UNN is living on past glory. What a myopic view. Aroma the first person to win ten million on who wants to be a millionaire is an alumni of UNN. he is not even among first 10,000 great lions and lionesses that the school has produced and is still producing.
@ bolded
And I just posted only two names, Joel and Osita out of the numerous scholars produced in recent times and they are here ranting about past glory without any proof. They are just being delusional you know? No matter how brilliant you think you are, if you are not given the right environment for encouragement, you cannot perform up to par. Havent you had instances where some of your classmates in secondary school who were considered to be dull entered the university and became 'fire', excelled greatly that people wondered what happened? or vice versa? Einstein was a write off in the university, none of his lecturers ever gave him a chance to succeed but when he found himself in a conducive environment(his lab), the rest became history. To this day we only hear about Einstein, not the professors that taught him. UNN provides that conducive environment for you to study and research and YES it can get better no doubt as is with everything else.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 4:45pm On Feb 04, 2013
mekula:
@ bolded
And I just posted only two names, Joel and Osita out of the numerous scholars produced in recent times and they are here ranting about past glory without any proof. They are just being delusional you know? No matter how brilliant you think you are, if you are not given the right environment for encouragement, you cannot perform up to par. Havent you had instances where some of your classmates in secondary school who were considered to be dull entered the university and became 'fire', excelled greatly that people wondered what happened? or vice versa? Einstein was a write off in the university, none of his lecturers ever gave him a chance to succeed but when he found himself in a conducive environment(his lab), the rest became history. To this day we only hear about Einstein, not the professors that taught him. UNN provides that conducive environment for you to study and research and YES it can get better no doubt as is with everything else.
Conducive what?! Not from the images which litter on-line searches. Please, you have to prove me wrong by posting images of the conduciveness of UNN here.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by adim2(m): 1:57pm On Feb 06, 2013
@all4naija
Are you for the content or container? Because the way you sound shows you believe in pictures and not the real thing.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 8:10pm On Feb 06, 2013
adim2: @all4naija
Are you for the content or container? Because the way you sound shows you believe in pictures and not the real thing.
I think a picture speaks a thousand words.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by adim2(m): 1:29pm On Feb 07, 2013
Then i think your thoughts are wrong. Because most of the pictures you saw, were old pix and currently massive construction works are going on in the school.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 28, 2013
old thread
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Capableben(m): 11:10pm On Sep 10, 2014
Afam4eva:
Could it be that the population of UNN is more than that of some other schools? Also don't forget that UNN has a campus in Enugu and the number could be a combination of students from all their campus.

biko nwanne, is Unn a good school? I wanna apply for medicine come 2015, what is the cut off and does Unn have chemical engineering
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by bigfrancis21: 3:33am On Sep 11, 2014
Capableben:

biko nwanne, is Unn a good school? I wanna apply for medicine come 2015, what is the cut off and does Unn have chemical engineering

@bold...Jesus me. Oh, you're really asking that question? Ok, apply for medicine at UNN and see if you will get it with just above average intelligence or performance. You'll need to ace at least 290/300 in both JAMB and PUME to be assured of a slot into UNN's medical college given that the best of the best JAMB applicants every year apply for medicine into UNN, and the average cut-off point has soared from an average of 270 in 2006 to 290/300 in 2014 over the years. I have a friend who wrote JAMB/UNN PUME 4 times before he actually got Medicine on his 4th attempt. He scored 286 in JAMB and 330 in PUME, ie an average of 308 before he was able to get admitted in 2012. In his third attempt his average was 289 and he missed Medicine by 1 point(290) as 290 was the cut-off for his state, Enugu in 2011. My cousin from Enugu state got into UNN's medical college in 2006 with 256 JAMB score and 286 PUME score, an average of 271 for Enugu state indigenes compared to 290 cut-off point for Enugu state indigenes as of 2011.

Be aware that cut-off points vary for individual states, being the highest for Anambra, Imo state, Delta state, Abia state and Enugu state. If you're from one of these states, you'd literally have to work twice as hard as your counterparts from less-cutoff states to get into UNN's medical school.

UNN used to have Chemical engineering but the department was closed down by the Federal Government, so I heard, after the civil war of 1970 because the chemical department had produced bombs and weapons of war for Biafran soldiers who fought against Nigerian soldiers. It is yet to be re-opened since then. However, it is an option under Mechanical Engineering, amongst other options, and a Mechanical Engineering student can major in it by 3rd year.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Capableben(m): 8:19am On Sep 11, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@bold...Jesus me. Oh, you're really asking that question? Ok, apply for medicine at UNN and see if you will get it with just above average intelligence or performance. You'll need to ace at least 290/300 in both JAMB and PUME to be assured of a slot into UNN's medical college given that the best of the best JAMB applicants every year apply for medicine into UNN, and the average cut-off point has soared from an average of 270 in 2006 to 290/300 in 2014 over the years. I have a friend who wrote JAMB/UNN PUME 4 times before he actually got Medicine on his 4th attempt. He scored 286 in JAMB and 330 in PUME, ie an average of 308 before he was able to get admitted in 2012. In his third attempt his average was 289 and he missed Medicine by 1 point(290) as 290 was the cut-off for his state, Enugu in 2011. My cousin from Enugu state got into UNN's medical college in 2006 with 256 JAMB score and 286 PUME score, an average of 271 for Enugu state indigenes compared to 290 cut-off point for Enugu state indigenes as of 2011.

Be aware that cut-off points vary for individual states, being the highest for Anambra, Imo state, Delta state, Abia state and Enugu state. If you're from one of these states, you'd literally have to work twice as hard as your counterparts from less-cutoff states to get into UNN's medical school.

UNN used to have Chemical engineering but the department was closed down by the Federal Government, so I heard, after the civil war of 1970 because the chemical department had produced bombs and weapons of war for Biafran soldiers who fought against Nigerian soldiers. It is yet to be re-opened since then. However, it is an option under Mechanical Engineering, amongst other options, and a Mechanical Engineering student can major in it by 3rd year.

Thanks bro, for squeezing time to demystify this. Are u a lion too?
Actually I'm from an educationally less developed state, taraba
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by efec(m): 8:55am On Sep 11, 2014
bigfrancis21:

felt delta state was a catchment area for unn cus ahm from delta and was admitted to study theatre arts this year with an average of 224.5 and the cut off was 239,ah know its d lords doin but in jamb brochure,delta state is catchment area fr eastern schools
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by bigfrancis21: 1:04pm On Sep 11, 2014
Capableben:

Thanks bro, for squeezing time to demystify this. Are u a lion too?
Actually I'm from an educationally less developed state, taraba

Yes, I am a graduate of UNN, graduating class of 2012.

I actually got into UNN in 2006 where I read Biochemistry/Microbiology for 1 year because the initial plan for me was to study Medicine and Surgery(actually it was more of my parents' wish for me). After 1 year or Bch/Mcb I rewrote JAMB and got admitted into Engineering(EE) in 2007 starting afresh from first year.

Since you're from Taraba state, your cutoff point for Medicine won't be high. UNN is a federal and all-inclusive school that ensures it gives all its students admission on merit always. You need not know somebody in UNN to secure admission once you score above the required cutoff.

UNN also has this advertisment program whereby after the first admissions on merit are given, each department counts the number of vacancies left, the school combines for each department and 'advertises' the vacancies and their corresponding cutoff points calling for people who scored above the minimum PUME cutoff of usually 180 but not high enough to secure admission into their first choice course to apply for these admission vacancies. For example, someone who applied for Law who scored 260 on average but could not get Law because the cutoff for Law is 272. Now, assuming Economics(258 cutoff point) or Sociology(246) is on the list of advertized courses that person can apply to Economics or Sociology since their average score is above the cutoff for Economics or Sociology but wasn't high enough to secure him/her admission into Law initially. Similar scenarios happen for Medicine fallouts who apply for Medical Rehabilitation, Medical Laboratory sciences etc because they have lower cutoff points than Medicine.

Also you need not have that advertized course as second choice in your JAMB to be admitted into it.

Another requirement is you must have the basice o'level subjects required for admission into the advertized course. So the person initially for Law who applied for Sociology or Medicine and later for Med Lab sciences will satisfy this requirement since they will have the O'level subjects in WAEC required for admission into the advertized department they are applying to. A medicine fallout(someone who applied for medicine initially but was unable to get Medicine) can apply for Economics so far as he/she did Economics in WAEC, in addition to basic subjects of mathematics, and english.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by bigfrancis21: 1:13pm On Sep 11, 2014
efec: felt delta state was a catchment area for unn cus ahm from delta and was admitted to study theatre arts this year with an average of 224.5 and the cut off was 239,ah know its d lords doin but in jamb brochure,delta state is catchment area fr eastern schools

Yea, that's true. Delta state is a catchment area for UNN.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Capableben(m): 3:20pm On Sep 11, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Yes, I am a graduate of UNN, graduating class of 2012.

I actually got into UNN in 2006 where I read Biochemistry/Microbiology for 1 year because the initial plan for me was to study Medicine and Surgery(actually it was more of my parents' wish for me). After 1 year or Bch/Mcb I rewrote JAMB and got admitted into Engineering(EE) in 2007 starting afresh from first year.

Since you're from Taraba state, your cutoff point for Medicine won't be high. UNN is a federal and all-inclusive school that ensures it gives all its students admission on merit always. You need not know somebody in UNN to secure admission once you score above the required cutoff.

UNN also has this advertisment program whereby after the first admissions on merit are given, each department counts the number of vacancies left, the school combines for each department and 'advertises' the vacancies and their corresponding cutoff points calling for people who scored above the minimum PUME cutoff of usually 180 but not high enough to secure admission into their first choice course to apply for these admission vacancies. For example, someone who applied for Law who scored 260 on average but could not get Law because the cutoff for Law is 272. Now, assuming Economics(258 cutoff point) or Sociology(246) is on the list of advertized courses that person can apply to Economics or Sociology since their average score is above the cutoff for Economics or Sociology but wasn't high enough to secure him/her admission into Law initially. Similar scenarios happen for Medicine fallouts who apply for Medical Rehabilitation, Medical Laboratory sciences etc because they have lower cutoff points than Medicine.

Also you need not have that advertized course as second choice in your JAMB to be admitted into it.

Another requirement is you must have the basice o'level subjects required for admission into the advertized course. So the person initially for Law who applied for Sociology or Medicine and later for Med Lab sciences will satisfy this requirement since they will have the O'level subjects in WAEC required for admission into the advertized department they are applying to. A medicine fallout(someone who applied for medicine initially but was unable to get Medicine) can apply for Economics so far as he/she did Economics in WAEC, in addition to basic subjects of mathematics, and english.

wow, I appreciate. Pls, what can u say about Engineering and unemployment in this country as a graduate. because to be sincere, I. am actually a 100 level student of chemical engineering.

I am thinking of. crossing over to medicine because of wat I have seen and heard about how most graduates remain unemployed for years after school..
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Champella(m): 3:52pm On Sep 11, 2014
Capableben:

wow, I appreciate. Pls, what can u say about Engineering and unemployment in this country as a graduate. because to be sincere, I. am actually a 100 level student of chemical engineering.

I am thinking of. crossing over to medicine because of wat I have seen and heard about how most graduates remain unemployed for years after school..

Chai! U dis guy, u no dey like hear word. U just dey worry urself over nothing. Shei i don dey tell u say make u concentrate on ur Chemical Engineering degree and make the very best out of it. Na the 3rd time i go tell u dis thing be dis o.

I'll still stand by my words that Chemical Engineering is one of the best courses one can study in the world. Have you thought of so many places you could work in with your degree? Do you know that with just an "idea" from the various branches in Chemical Engineering, you could be an Employer of labour?

Chemical Engineering is very wide. Age is on your side i believe. Take advantage of this please. You may switch to Medicine & Surgery and end up regretting at last.

Xfire and Davide470 please help this guy out.

I wish you the very best!
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 11, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Woow! Never knew! Why don't the FG re-open the department of Chemical Engineering at UNN now? Then bombs produced there could be used to destroy Boko Haram terrorists. I don't see why we should waste funds buying bombs when we can manufacture powerful local bombs ourselves.

Nigeria killing inventions since 1966.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Capableben(m): 6:58pm On Sep 11, 2014
Champella:

Chai! U dis guy, u no dey like hear word. U just dey worry urself over nothing. Shei i don dey tell u say make u concentrate on ur Chemical Engineering degree and make the very best out of it. Na the 3rd time i go tell u dis thing be dis o.

I'll still stand by my words that Chemical Engineering is one of the best courses one can study in the world. Have you thought of so many places you could work in with your degree? Do you know that with just an "idea" from the various branches in Chemical Engineering, you could be an Employer of labour?

Chemical Engineering is very wide. Age is on your side i believe. Take advantage of this please. You may switch to Medicine & Surgery and end up regretting at last.

thanks once more
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 8:51pm On Sep 11, 2014
Capableben:

thanks once more
Hey Ben,I admire the zeal and energy you are putting to ensure you not only have a career but a successful one too

But like Champella said, "concentrate"! Chill Ben,the world will still be here tomorrow but the question is,what do you really want?
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Capableben(m): 10:04pm On Sep 11, 2014
Champella:

once again, thank u.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Capableben(m): 11:10pm On Sep 11, 2014
Champella:

thanks, once more.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by bigfrancis21: 12:00am On Sep 12, 2014
Capableben:

I can relate to both engineering and medicine because I actually studied engineering and attempted studying medicine. From my vantage point of view and experience so far, I'll go on to point out the points of both fields.

Medicine: as a medical doctor you would probably never need to look for a job upon graduation, or even if looking for one you won't find it difficult to find one. You will be above averagely paid, drive a decent car, live in a decent house, be respected all your life by other people, and spend all your lifetime dedicated to reading volumes of textbooks to stay updated on recent advancements and methods in medicine, latest releases and bans in medicines and pharmaceutical procedures, and also be dedicated to patients all your life. Nothing extra or spectacular about the life of a medical doctor. Medicine used to be among the well-paying occupations of the times of our parents when they were growing up(1950s to 1980s), however now there are several other well-paying jobs that outpay Medicine in salary and benefits. Many people go into medicine for wrong reasons such as the respect that comes with being a medical doctor or the financial comfort the profession offers which has been overhyped by many people. To study medicine one needs to be compassionate and humane with human beings. I have a cousin who studied medicine and graduated in 2012. This guy is brilliant and really had mathematics, further mathematics and thorough complex analytical skills. He aced A1s in all science subjects of his in WAEC, including further mathematics and English and Mathematics. He actually wanted to study engineering but because of his intelligence his parents adviced him to study Medicine instead as they felt his level of intelligence deserved a course like medicine. In addition, he also had his own personal ambition - to become wealthy and he felt that studying medicine would make him rich. He got admission to study medicine and surgery in 2006. Fast forward to 2011/2012, my cousin was full of regrets for studying medicine. That engineering part of him never left him as he still held on to his mathematics and further mathematics textbooks which he would bring out every now and then to solve complex problems and derive formulae and proofs. He also realized that his intention of being rich did not fully match with the field he was studying. Note, I mentioned rich and not averagely comfortable financially. He was full of regrets for not studying engineering as he had earlier wanted to. His interest in medicine waned at about 4th year but he managed to put up appearances and graduate. Now he's on residency and still full of regrets is planning to make some money for business capital, quit medicine and open a mega business proper. He says he is not feeling the medicine profession at all.

My point of this is, if you really want to study medicine, don't study it because you think it will make you rich, for you will be disappointed. Instead study it because of you have a humanitarian nature and its your passion to really care about sick people. For the latter reason, you will find greater satisfaction in the profession. I am mentioning this because I have seen so many people study medicine for the wrong reason only to realize later as they grew older and have regrets about the course. There's nothing as emotionally depressing about having regrets for pursuing a particular career, especially when forced to against your will.

Engineering
: the world is becoming more and more technology inclined today and the need for engineers and IT experts are geometrically on the rise. Many engineers working in oil companies or petrochemical inustries today as chemical, petrochemical engineerrs etc, or as IT specialists earn a lot of money, even more than so many doctors. If your aim in life is being rich, and not just averagely comfotable, engineering offers more chances of making it financially and bountifully moreso in lesser time than medicine. The unemployment rate however for engineers in Nigeria is higher than that of medicine but the field is quite rewarding if you actually know your worth, what you are doing and want in life. The unemployment rate for engineers in Nigeria may seem quite higher than that of medical doctors because of the higher number of engineers in Nigeria today than are available number of hiring firms.

How about the flexibility of engineering and engineers and how engineers can work in virtually all sectors of the industry - banking, commerce, oil and gas sector, power sector, IT sector, health sector(every hospital needs an electrical engineer and modern hospitals deploying IT technology need an IT engineer expert), you name it. How about the fact that practising engineering actually gives you time to run another important money-yielding adventure or business on the side?

One of my cousins studied Petroleum engineering at FUTO in 2010, and on completion of his UG studies travelled out for his masters in 2011 for 1 year after which he returned back to Nigeria and today works with Agip Plc Port-harcourt.

Need I talk about the numerous scholarships that abound for engineering students more than Medicine? Agip, Total/Elf, Chevron, Exxon Mobil, Addax, MTN Foundation, Agbami scholarship, NLNG Scholarship and what have you. Most of the scholarships in Nigeria have engineering fields as recepients of their scholarships and some exclude medicine and are limited to only engineering students. I read engineering myself(UNN). In my first year, I won the Exxon Mobil scholarship, in my second year I won the MTN Foundation scholarship of N200,000, both renewable every year till final year. In my fourth year I won the APM Terminals scholarship(N100,000) + 4th Year Industrial training with them, making it a total of 3 scholarships. In 2011, I was invited by Shell Producing Development Company(SPDC) by virtue of my CGPA to their annual Petroleum Engineering Summer School Program where I emerged the overall best of all university students drawn from all over Nigeria in Production Engineering Technology and I was awarded certificates and prizes for my achievement. My GPA on graduation was a very high 2.1, and I did not find any difficulty securing Masters admission with my CGPA which I am currently doing. I have a pending job interview with Shell PDC Nigeria when I am done with school.

Remember, my parents initially wanted me to study medicine but I inisisted on following my dream and passion and diverged into engineering instead and my path graph has been an ever increasing line ever since and I have had not one reason to regret studying engineering.

If your actual life plan is to become financially comfortable/rich, engineering will be the best way for you. Chemical engineering is quite a good course though I would recommend petrochemical/petroleum engineering instead due to the oil producing activities going on in Nigeria today where you stand a good chance of finding employment with your petrochemical engineering degree.

3 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by chuggy(m): 12:13am On Sep 16, 2014
babyosisi: [size=28pt]Great Lions and Lionesses![/size]

Where are the lions and lionesses in the house?
. M a Lion, 5yrs in d game & mehn tinz aint easy!
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Capableben(m): 12:10pm On Nov 04, 2014
mekula:

@ bolded
u just encouraged a Unn aspirant..
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Capableben(m): 12:11pm On Nov 04, 2014
chuggy:
. M a Lion, 5yrs in d game & mehn tinz aint easy!
Cut off for medicine...
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Capableben(m): 12:36pm On Nov 04, 2014
bigfrancis21:

I can relate to both engineering and medicine because I actually studied engineering and attempted studying medicine. From my vantage point of view and experience so far, I'll go on to point out the points of both fields.

Medicine: as a medical doctor you would probably never need to look for a job upon graduation, or even if looking for one you won't find it difficult to find one. You will be above averagely paid, drive a decent car, live in a decent house, be respected all your life by other people, and spend all your lifetime dedicated to reading volumes of textbooks to stay updated on recent advancements and methods in medicine, latest releases and bans in medicines and pharmaceutical procedures, and also be dedicated to patients all your life. Nothing extra or spectacular about the life of a medical doctor. Medicine used to be among the well-paying occupations of the times of our parents when they were growing up(1950s to 1980s), however now there are several other well-paying jobs that outpay Medicine in salary and benefits. Many people go into medicine for wrong reasons such as the respect that comes with being a medical doctor or the financial comfort the profession offers which has been overhyped by many people. To study medicine one needs to be compassionate and humane with human beings. I have a cousin who studied medicine and graduated in 2012. This guy is brilliant and really had mathematics, further mathematics and thorough complex analytical skills. He aced A1s in all science subjects of his in WAEC, including further mathematics and English and Mathematics. He actually wanted to study engineering but because of his intelligence his parents adviced him to study Medicine instead as they felt his level of intelligence deserved a course like medicine. In addition, he also had his own personal ambition - to become wealthy and he felt that studying medicine would make him rich. He got admission to study medicine and surgery in 2006. Fast forward to 2011/2012, my cousin was full of regrets for studying medicine. That engineering part of him never left him as he still held on to his mathematics and further mathematics textbooks which he would bring out every now and then to solve complex problems and derive formulae and proofs. He also realized that his intention of being rich did not fully match with the field he was studying. Note, I mentioned rich and not averagely comfortable financially. He was full of regrets for not studying engineering as he had earlier wanted to. His interest in medicine waned at about 4th year but he managed to put up appearances and graduate. Now he's on residency and still full of regrets is planning to make some money for business capital, quit medicine and open a mega business proper. He says he is not feeling the medicine profession at all.

My point of this is, if you really want to study medicine, don't study it because you think it will make you rich, for you will be disappointed. Instead study it because of you have a humanitarian nature and its your passion to really care about sick people. For the latter reason, you will find greater satisfaction in the profession. I am mentioning this because I have seen so many people study medicine for the wrong reason only to realize later as they grew older and have regrets about the course. There's nothing as emotionally depressing about having regrets for pursuing a particular career, especially when forced to against your will.

Engineering
: the world is becoming more and more technology inclined today and the need for engineers and IT experts are geometrically on the rise. Many engineers working in oil companies or petrochemical inustries today as chemical, petrochemical engineerrs etc, or as IT specialists earn a lot of money, even more than so many doctors. If your aim in life is being rich, and not just averagely comfotable, engineering offers more chances of making it financially and bountifully moreso in lesser time than medicine. The unemployment rate however for engineers in Nigeria is higher than that of medicine but the field is quite rewarding if you actually know your worth, what you are doing and want in life. The unemployment rate for engineers in Nigeria may seem quite higher than that of medical doctors because of the higher number of engineers in Nigeria today than are available number of hiring firms.

How about the flexibility of engineering and engineers and how engineers can work in virtually all sectors of the industry - banking, commerce, oil and gas sector, power sector, IT sector, health sector(every hospital needs an electrical engineer and modern hospitals deploying IT technology need an IT engineer expert), you name it. How about the fact that practising engineering actually gives you time to run another important money-yielding adventure or business on the side?

One of my cousins studied Petroleum engineering at FUTO in 2010, and on completion of his UG studies travelled out for his masters in 2011 for 1 year after which he returned back to Nigeria and today works with Agip Plc Port-harcourt.

Need I talk about the numerous scholarships that abound for engineering students more than Medicine? Agip, Total/Elf, Chevron, Exxon Mobil, Addax, MTN Foundation, Agbami scholarship, NLNG Scholarship and what have you. Most of the scholarships in Nigeria have engineering fields as recepients of their scholarships and some exclude medicine and are limited to only engineering students. I read engineering myself(UNN). In my first year, I won the Exxon Mobil scholarship, in my second year I won the MTN Foundation scholarship of N200,000, both renewable every year till final year. In my fourth year I won the APM Terminals scholarship(N100,000) + 4th Year Industrial training with them, making it a total of 3 scholarships. In 2011, I was invited by Shell Producing Development Company(SPDC) by virtue of my CGPA to their annual Petroleum Engineering Summer School Program where I emerged the overall best of all university students drawn from all over Nigeria in Production Engineering Technology and I was awarded certificates and prizes for my achievement. My GPA on graduation was a very high 2.1, and I did not find any difficulty securing Masters admission with my CGPA which I am currently doing. I have a pending job interview with Shell PDC Nigeria when I am done with school.

Remember, my parents initially wanted me to study medicine but I inisisted on following my dream and passion and diverged into engineering instead and my path graph has been an ever increasing line ever since and I have had not one reason to regret studying engineering.

If your actual life plan is to become financially comfortable/rich, engineering will be the best way for you. Chemical engineering is quite a good course though I would recommend petrochemical/petroleum engineering instead due to the oil producing activities going on in Nigeria today where you stand a good chance of finding employment with your petrochemical engineering degree.
once Again thank you.... You are really big Francis..
Can I add u on fb?
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Bridget001: 12:20pm On Mar 06, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Engineering

Please who can give me scholarship past questions?. Thanks and God bless!
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by bigfrancis21: 4:20pm On Mar 06, 2015
Bridget001:

Please who can give me scholarship past questions? My email is bunkatheresa001@gmail.com. Thanks and God bless!

Most scholarship exams are written in the exam paper itself or on computer and submitted on completion of the exam. GRE/GMAT come closest to what you expect to find on scholarship exams. Send a blank email to selfstudy360@gmail.com and you will receive an automatic email response containing download links to some GRE and GMAT books. Download Barrons GRE or Grubers GRE and study either of them. They will help you a lot.

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by cheriey(f): 1:44pm On Apr 17, 2016
musiwa14:
you dont see anything wrong with that, look at other student from nigeria. listen to their english

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD7RFEV5U0
English is just a language, n its our 2nd language.it doesn't rily matter if u cn speak a particular lang. Fluently or not.its wat u knw n wat u cn apply.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Best Courses To Study In Nigeria Today / 300Level University Of Jos Student Dies (photo) / Prisons Are Better Than Our Hostels - OAU Students Cry Out (pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 181
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.