Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

Quick Facts About South Africa - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Quick Facts About South Africa (745 Views)

28 Interesting Facts About English Lang. / The Amazing & Interesting Facts About Number 9 / 2015/2016 Unizik Pre Science Form(facts About unizik pre science Programme) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quick Facts About South Africa by THEPOLY11: 1:30am On Jan 27, 2013
[b]Did you know that....

South Africa offers the lowest industrial electricity rates in the world
South Africa generates two-thirds of Africa’s electricity
40% of the continent’s phones are in South Africa
20% of the world’s gold is mined in South Africa
South Africa’s constitution is the world’s most progressive, drawing on the experiences of advanced democracies.
The world’s biggest man-made hole, dug entirely by human sweat, spades, pickaxes is in South Africa.
The Gandhian notion of “passive resistance”, the strategy that won independence for India in 1948 had earlier roots in South Africa. Mahatma Gandhi lived in South Africa for 21 years from 1893.
The world’s first heart transplant was performed by Dr Chris Barnard in Cape Town on 3 December 1967. Now than 50 000 have now been performed worldwide
The world’s first and largest petroleum-from-coal refiners provide 40 percent of South Africa’s petrol. The company Sasol now competes globally in the energy industry.
The computed axial tomography scan was developed at Tufts University in the UK by South African physicist Allan Cormack and by Godfrey Hounsfield of EMI Laboratories.
The G5 long-range artillery piece manufactured in South Africa is exported to several parts of the world.
The swimming pool vacuum cleaner that does the job automatically, efficiently powered by the ordinary operation of the pool's filter, was invented in SA.
Large, unusually shaped concrete blocks weighing up to 20 tons. The structures are designed to break up wave action and protect harbour walls and costal installations. They were designed by Eric Merrifield and first installed in East London harbour. They are now used all over the world.[/b]
Re: Quick Facts About South Africa by Nobody: 6:55am On Jan 27, 2013
mtcheeeew. wetin concern me and SA ?
Re: Quick Facts About South Africa by Akshow: 7:26am On Jan 27, 2013
maxwello.yg:
mtcheeeew. wetin concern me and SA ?
why you Kon open the thread read sotay you comment if e no concern you. Guy Relax make you no dey envy.
Re: Quick Facts About South Africa by Olastep1(m): 8:08am On Jan 27, 2013
chia.... now we go hear facts abt Naija
Re: Quick Facts About South Africa by Nobody: 10:01am On Jan 27, 2013
Doesn't change my mind 'bout migrating to SA. Austria all the way!
Re: Quick Facts About South Africa by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jan 27, 2013
[quote
author=Akshow] why you Kon open the thread read sotay you comment if e
no concern you. Guy Relax make you no dey envy. [/quote]
why would I envy them ? i go for better things i dont envy better things, grab that ? i opened it thinking its about education opportunities in SA not knowing its some rubbish unrelated to education in Nigeria. NOnsense !

(1) (Reply)

What About NAOC Scholarship??? / I Want To Know If This Info Is True..... / Neco Scrapped, Utme No More! To Wat Benefit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.